Sign of the Times: What Do You Think ...

Sign of the Times: What Do You Think of Central Ave. Christmas Banners?

There are 16 comments on the Patch.com story from Dec 17, 2013, titled Sign of the Times: What Do You Think of Central Ave. Christmas Banners?. In it, Patch.com reports that:

For most people celebrating Christmas, decorating involves stringing lights, putting up a tree and possibly displaying a Nativity scene.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Patch.com.

Hitchens

United States

#1 Dec 17, 2013
The idiot behind this is a RINO, as in Religous In Name Only. They are hiding because they dont want to get the backlash from every other religous nutbag in town. Wow, jesus would be sooooo proud.

There is NO GOD.

"That which can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof"
Patchy

United States

#2 Dec 17, 2013
Whoever the pretentious twit that is "Michael M" over there needs to be neutered. Self proclaimed expert on every subject but doer of nothing. Loves to debate the doings of city politics, yet refuses to stand up in a meeting or run for office because his distorted libertarian views would lead to an embarrassing defeat.

His account needs to be shut off and he needs to go read a book not written by Rush or the Paul family.
TP Res

Park Ridge, IL

#3 Dec 18, 2013
Gotta love a priest coming on and preaching about love and tolerance. Considering how the catholic church has covered up decades of child abuse in numerous countries, has failed to give women any say in the church, and pays zero taxes while preaching politics from the pulpit, I think that guy needs to get his house in order before doing any more pontificating.
Divine

Blue Island, IL

#4 Dec 18, 2013
Hitchens wrote:
The idiot behind this is a RINO, as in Religous In Name Only. They are hiding because they dont want to get the backlash from every other religous nutbag in town. Wow, jesus would be sooooo proud.
There is NO GOD.
"That which can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof"
When you turn out the lights and can't see your bedroom door does that mean that it doesn't exist? There are senses that humans don't posess; therefore,the intelligent beings of the earth know that there is more than what meets the eye. Live your empty life non- believer.
TP Res

United States

#5 Dec 18, 2013
At least my world is based in reality. Your god is the same as santa and the tooth fairy. Drink your kool aid and go get preached to by child predators and tax dodgers.

You know why faith healers never treat polio? CUZ SCIENCE CURED IT!
Athiests suck

Forest Park, IL

#6 Dec 18, 2013
TP Res wrote:
At least my world is based in reality. Your god is the same as santa and the tooth fairy. Drink your kool aid and go get preached to by child predators and tax dodgers.
You know why faith healers never treat polio? CUZ SCIENCE CURED IT!
I hate how the tiny minority of atheists try to ruin Christmas for the vast majority of Christians. They cry like babies and threaten to sue because they saw a Christmas tree somewhere. Or taking the words "In God We Trust" off the currency. What a bunch of whiny jag-offs. This is a Christian country founded on Christian principles. Deal with it and shut up.
TP Res

Park Ridge, IL

#8 Dec 19, 2013
This country was NOT found by christians, and it is NOT a christian country. Retards like you give christians a bad name. Do some research and stop listening to Rushy everyday. To even debate your second grqde response would be a waste of time.
“The Bible may, indeed does, contain a warrant for trafficking in humans, for ethnic cleansing, for slavery, for bride-price, and for indiscriminate massacre, but we are not bound by any of it because it was put together by crude, uncultured human mammals.”
― Christopher Hitchens, God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
MM Worshipper

Park Ridge, IL

#9 Dec 19, 2013
Oh michael m, you all knowing, all powerful, piece of excrement. Keep hiding and pretending to know everything, because you make yourself into the biggest fool blogger on patch.

The pompous AHole ises the internet to male himself appear smarter, when actually he is nothing more than a troll.
Res

Tinley Park, IL

#10 Dec 19, 2013
Your all friggin nuts, I believe what I want to believe and nobody will or can change that. I don't mind the signs, nothing wrong with loving Jesus. I also don't mind Santa, lights, presents and the rest. I also don't mind Kwanza, Hanukkah or any other religion or belief. I pray to the rock in my back yard. What's it to you? Lighten up or you will blow a gasket. There are plenty of things to hate other than other peoples lifestyle or belief. Good grief, Charlie Brown. Yep, I dig him to.
Chuck

Forest Park, IL

#11 Dec 19, 2013
TP Res wrote:
This country was NOT found by christians, and it is NOT a christian country. Retards like you give christians a bad name. Do some research and stop listening to Rushy everyday. To even debate your second grqde response would be a waste of time.
“The Bible may, indeed does, contain a warrant for trafficking in humans, for ethnic cleansing, for slavery, for bride-price, and for indiscriminate massacre, but we are not bound by any of it because it was put together by crude, uncultured human mammals.”
― Christopher Hitchens, God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
The USA is still 80% Christian. What are you talking about it is not a Christian country???
And now the Holy Bible is evil??? You and Christopher Hitchens are morons.
MM Worshipper

United States

#12 Dec 19, 2013
Religion comes from the period of human prehistory where nobody—not even the mighty Democritus who concluded that all matter was made from atoms—had the smallest idea what was going on. It comes from the bawling and fearful infancy of our species, and is a babyish attempt to meet our inescapable demand for knowledge (as well as for comfort, reassurance, and other infantile needs). Today the least educated of my children knows much more about the natural order than any of the founders of religion.
―God Is Not Great

Hitchens spoke truth to corrupting powers. And not a single person has been able to prove him wrong.
Chuck

Forest Park, IL

#13 Dec 20, 2013
Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin, were atheist. The worst people who lived in modern history. I guess when you don't believe in God you think it is alright to exterminate people like ants. That is where atheism gets us.
Patchy

Park Ridge, IL

#15 Dec 21, 2013
Chuck you retard, Hitler was not an atheist.

From Wiki, in case you want to check it out yourself.

"In his semi-autobiographical Mein Kampf, Hitler makes religious allusions, but declares himself neutral in sectarian matters and supportive of the separation between church and state, while criticising political Catholicism. He presents a Social Darwinist vision, in which the universe is ordered around principles of struggle between weak and strong, rather than on conventional Christian notions long prominent in Germany. While campaigning for office in the early 1930s, Hitler offered moderate public statements on Christianity, promising not to interfere with the churches if given power, and calling Christianity the foundation of German morality. In power, the Hitler regime conducted a protracted Struggle with the Churches. Hitler moved to eliminate political Catholicism, while agreeing a Reich concordat with the Holy See which promised autonomy for the Catholic Church in Germany. Hitler then routinely violated the treaty, moved to close all Catholic organisations that weren't strictly religious, and permitted a persecution of the Catholic Church. He launched an effort to co-ordinate German Protestants under a unified Protestant Reich Church under the Deutsche Christen movement, but the attempt failed and was resisted by the Confessing Church. He angered the churches by appointing the neo-pagan Alfred Rosenberg as official Nazi ideologist, and generally permitted or encouraged anti-church radicals such as Himmler, Goebbels and Bormann to conduct their persecutions of the churches. Smaller religious minorities faced far harsher repression, with the Jews of Germany expelled for extermination on the grounds of racist ideology and Jehovah's Witnesses ruthlessly persecuted for refusing military service, and any allegiance to Hitlerism."
Patchy

Park Ridge, IL

#16 Dec 21, 2013
And now, so Chucky can learn a bit more, let's move on to Stalin, courtesy on The Examiner.

"Had enough of Hitler? OK, let's move on to Stalin:

Joseph Stalin was raised to be a Catholic Priest and I remain curious as to why his Christianity is shoved aside in all these arguments. Yes, there is no way to get around the fact that in his early career, Stalin made a vast effort to rid Russia of religion, but that had nothing to do with atheism. It was the only way he knew to seize power of the country.

For generations the entire populace of Russia had been taught that the head of state was supposed to be close to god. At the time in question, the head of the church in Russia was a tyrant. The Russians were already disposed to servility and all Stalin did was exploit these two facts, and place himself in the position of god. Once Stalin was firmly seated in office, he revived the Russian Orthodox Church in order to intensify patriotic support for the war effort. Stalin was part of a council convened to elected a new church Patriarch. Then the Russian theological schools were opened, and thousands of churches began to function. Even the Moscow Theological Academy Seminary was re-opened, after being closed since 1918."
Patchy

Park Ridge, IL

#17 Dec 21, 2013
Once again, for Fhucky the illiterate bible thumper.

"What about Pol Pot?

Truly a monster, having killed some twenty-five percent of the entire population of Cambodia. Pol Pot targeted not just different religions, but education, science and medicine in his quest for total domination. Now, let's take a head count of atheists who are against education, science and medicine. Thought so… Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge were composed of Buddhists and Pol Pot was a Theravada Buddhist. He studied at a Buddhist monastery and then at a Catholic school for 8 years. Cambodia's communism was influenced by Theravada Buddhism.

Prince Norodom Sihanouk said, "Pol Pot does not believe in God but he thinks that heaven, destiny, wants him to guide Cambodia in the way he thinks it the best for Cambodia, that is to say, the worst. Pol Pot is mad, you know, like Hitler."

So, while Pol Pot was definitely not a Christian, he was also definitely not an Atheist."
DOC

Buford, GA

#18 Dec 23, 2013
Is response to the question asked - I love the signs...

...and could care less about the "arguments" folks are offering here. I believe what I want to and you believe what you want and we can all do that because of the great country we live in. Merry Christmas!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Honoring Fred Bilotto (Mar '11) 2 hr Change is needed 124
Stevo at the City Council meeting 3 hr No Doubt 32
Mayor Domingo Vargas Contrite at July 12, 2016 ... 3 hr It All Went Wrong 82
Carmine and Fred Bilotto Accosted Resident afte... 3 hr Another Wake Up Call 87
124th Street Meetings 13 hr Singlefatherof3 14
Hillary 2016 ...Lock Her Up 13 hr Election 2016 14
Homeless Beggars on SW Hwy & Harlem (Dec '14) 14 hr worthless 7

Dixmoor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance