First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Jimmy from Islip

Northport, NY

#62 Feb 10, 2010
went there last weekend for dinner with 2 other couples, food was tasteless, service was terrible!! cannot even begin..take some classes or something.. rather have went to a diner for dinner, drinks were too expensive and mixed with too many fruits and juices,,way too sweet, atmosphere was a cheap miami vice episode on tv..def. will not go back
from smithtown

New Hyde Park, NY

#63 Feb 12, 2010
My husband and kids took me there for my birthday. I have to agree with some of the others, the food was horrible. My brother is a very successful chef and owns two restaurants in Manhattan and I know good food, this restaurant is not even close to having OK food. The atmosphere is tacky at best. Every time I pass there. I am amazed to see cars in the parking lot. Don’t waste your time or money. And you can bet that some of the posts are made by employees and the person that is commenting on other posts is probably the owner himself. Why else would someone else even bother to comment on some else’s post unless you were afraid it was going to hurt your business? Something to think about!!
christina

Southampton, NY

#64 Jul 6, 2010
I have to agree with the others! Im cuban, and all I saw was a bunch of puertoricans trying to be cuban. Shady place, and mediocre food. Friends tried to speak with the owner, but was always "unavailable" . They try to say upscale restaurant, but really its garbage.
AYE caramba

West Islip, NY

#65 Jul 20, 2010
Say hello to my little friend.
Jessica

Bronx, NY

#66 Oct 24, 2010
wow some people are unreal..i went to this place cafe havana ..and i truly disagree with these dumb comments.i took my mom n dad there for dinner and the food was great. were in long island can u get something better than cafe havana? i truly dont care were the owners are from but the food was good staff was nice n music was great!!
Trisha from Commack

Bronx, NY

#67 Feb 27, 2011
Tony R wrote:
I was looking forward to a cuban meal but I was disapointed. The food had no taste and the selections were limited. If you have eaten at Bongo Bongo's Gloria Estebans restaurant in Florida, or other cuban restaurant in NYC I am sure you would agree. It would be a good idea for the owners of Cafe Havana to visit Bongo bongo or other cuban restaurant in NYC and come back with real cuban food selections and taste. You may be successful with clients that have not eaten cuban food, but anyone who knows what real cuban food is will find it hard to come back
You took the words right out of my mouth. I lived in NYC for 5 years and Orlando, Fl for about 4 years. I was hoping for that Bong Bongo experience. I too was soooo looking forward to some real authentic cuban food packed with flavor and my pork was so bland. We ordered plaintain appetizer that tasted like eggplant parmigiano. It was so disappointing. We also sat at the table for at least 20-30 mins before the waitress came to take our drink order. In the foyer was a duo playing wonderful latin music but you couldn't here it from the dinning room. The sad part is there is so much potential. Hope they take your advice :)
Steven

Brooklyn, NY

#68 Mar 17, 2011
I've wanted to go there for lunch, but it seems like everytime I go by during the day they're closed. What gives?
Harmonee

Succasunna, NJ

#69 May 21, 2011
My husband's family is from Cuba and we have been to Cuba, so we looked forward to dining in the restaurant. The food is good, but it's not Cuban. Nothing is authentic. Even the mojitos don't taste as they do in Cuba.
BX Rican

Shirley, NY

#70 Jan 21, 2012
christina wrote:
I have to agree with the others! Im cuban, and all I saw was a bunch of puertoricans trying to be cuban. Shady place, and mediocre food. Friends tried to speak with the owner, but was always "unavailable" . They try to say upscale restaurant, but really its garbage.
I am responding to this post b/c I am puertorican and I was embarrased reading this. Is it true that Puertoricans opened a Cuban restaurant? WHY? Open a puertorican one!!!!!! We have plenty of wonderful, flavorful dishes. I've never been to this place and I don't think I ever will.
JESC

Coram, NY

#71 Feb 23, 2014
BEWARE! NOT GLUTEN FREE AS CLAIMED!
I do not usually do this but I am completely disgusted with the unprofessionalism of this establishment. I should have learned after having trouble with my reservations that this restaurant was not a good idea. After spending almost a thousand dollars with our group, no accommodations were made for their poor service. The managers of this establishment are amateurs who really need to take a class in communications and customer service! As descriptive as this review is, it barely begins to describe the unprofessionalism of the staff and management, and the inability of this establishment to cater to a large group.
1-Reservation issues
If you do not have an EXACT number of people dining, your reservation will have to be moved. I was not able to add or even remove 4 people without having to move my reservation more than once. I was ridiculed by the manager about “how busy it was”, even though I made the reservations 2 weeks in advance.
2-Two hour wait for food
We were seated at 8:57pm only to finally eat at 11:22pm. Appetizers arrived with the food. When given a complaint about the wait I was told “the food is prepared fresh, so it takes that long to cook it”. The meals were overpriced and unsatisfying.
3-Spoiled drinks
My guests received the wrong drinks and the bartenders were disappointing. My martini had too much vodka, while the mojito’s did not have enough rum.
4-“Birthday surprise”
If you are celebrating a birthday, make sure to ASK for it to be put on a desert. I received a plate with Happy Birthday written on it, with a blob of whip cream about an inch wide and a candle in the middle. When I asked why it was not on a desert I was told “people are not usually hungry after a meal there, so they serve their birthday surprise as such, unless otherwise requested to be on a desert.
5-They are NOT GLUTEN FREE as claimed
One of my guests is HIGHLY intolerant to gluten. She has been in agony since eating there. If you have Celiac disease, I suggest you look to eat elsewhere. They do not care about cross contamination.
6-Down stairs lounge
After an incredibly disappointing experience in the restaurant, we tried to make the best of the rest of our evening and try the downstairs lounge. There was maybe a handful of people there.
Cafe Havana

United States

#72 Feb 24, 2014
First off, let me thank our loyal customers. Please don't let a greedy malcontent like JESC sway your opinion of us. She was very drunk, and didn't appear to have much money. Let me address these lies one by one.

1.This lady kept changing her mind about adding and subtracting A WHOLE TABLE'S WORTH OF PEOPLE, at 9pm on our busiest night. Not just once, she must have been fighting with them. Seems anytime she's involved, there's a problem.

2. Our food is fresh, and made to order. This isn't Taco Bell. They kept sending the waiter away, and saying they weren't ready. Finally, they made multiple changes once they did order.

3. They smelled of alcohol when they arrived, and argued with the bartender, in addition to everyone else. First there's too much booze, then there isn't enough.

4. The Birthday Surprise was a beautiful Cuban pastry. Too small, I guess, for a woman of her tremendous appetite.

5. Less than 1% of the population has Celiac's. If this woman didn't just become gluten free to be trendy because of the Kardashians - she'd know THE RICE SHE ORDERED CAN'T POSSIBLY CONTAIN GLUTEN.

6. First she complains we're too busy, then that we're too empty. JESC, time for you to try the golden rule. You get out of things what you put in. You clearly came looking to have a bad time and complain, and that's what happened.

We're thankful the rest of our customers appreciate our quality, non-chain, non-fast food atmosphere. Looking forward to seeing everyone again real soon.

-CH
Shaken And Stirred

United States

#73 Feb 24, 2014
Complaining that a Martini had too much vodka in it is like complaining that your Corona has too much beer in it. Could you imagine what a movie review written by this idiot would sound like?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dix Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 8 hr Bruser 7,939
which auto repair shop to choose in Farmingdale... 21 hr Charlie 1
Arrest Report: DWI, Criminal Possession (Nov '11) Fri Ginger 16
irish mob (Oct '13) Thu ClipperHatBoy 31
What happened to RObert MAyer? (Aug '13) Dec 23 Sambee 2,046
6 arrested after trio caught carrying safe in D... (May '09) Dec 9 StepPredator 31
Hong Kong protesters threaten to occupy buildings Oct '14 Stephencdo 1
Dix Hills Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Dix Hills People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Dix Hills News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Dix Hills

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:45 pm PST