Dix Hills rink going ahead despite ec...

Dix Hills rink going ahead despite economy

There are 44 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 12, 2008, titled Dix Hills rink going ahead despite economy. In it, Newsday reports that:

The continued hopes of a few Dix Hills residents to delay - or stop - the renovation and expansion of the local ice rink were dashed at Tuesday night's Huntington town board meeting.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Slip Sliding

Newark, NJ

#1 Dec 12, 2008
Great....build a rink no one can afford to come to!
Town of Huntington politics as usual!
mister hard driver

Huntington, NY

#2 Dec 12, 2008
"There's no reason the town would not nominate that project for some of that funding," Evans said. "It's one of our major parks"

Huh? open space bond funds for buildings? even if the buildings are in the park do they really think the voters were funding brick and mortar development?
yeah, its all in the wording. call it the "Fluffy Puppy Dog" bill when you really intend to fund a gas chamber for stray dogs.
FRANAN

Jacksonville, FL

#3 Dec 12, 2008
instead of raises, give the kids something to do, they took the one in bayshore, where do you want the kids to go?? what do you want them to do??this is an answer to crime dont knock it. give it a chance
Alan Q

New York, NY

#4 Dec 12, 2008
I've got a better idea: why don't we all just postpone our lives until we all have the courage to start leading them again.

See, if we decide to lock ourselves in our homes, stop skating, going to restaurants and enjoying ourselves (within reason) then we can just call it quits now.

I grew up skating at that rink. My buddies and I would bicycle or even walk there, skates on our shoulders, enjoying winter break and loving life the way every kid on Earth deserves.

If we show our kids that we are willing to curl up in a big, fearful ball instead of get them the hell away from their computers and playstations to go skating then we will teach them to be more neurotic and over-medicated than they already are.

Maybe life would be better if we just gave up and took to living in caves and trees again!
Dude Man

Wyckoff, NJ

#5 Dec 12, 2008
This project is a great opportunity! I can't wait until it's done.
FRANAN

Jacksonville, FL

#6 Dec 12, 2008
exactly what im saying, we grew up skating, bowling with my parents, shopping at the farmers market in bayshore(we lived near tacomas school) and enjoyed family events all 14 of us.

“Only in America...”

Since: Aug 07

New York, NY

#7 Dec 12, 2008
Move the Islanders to the updated rink... Just think of the tens of dollars in tax revenue it would generate.
Potvins Wife

United States

#8 Dec 12, 2008
Johnny Islander wrote:
Move the Islanders to the updated rink... Just think of the tens of dollars in tax revenue it would generate.
The Islanders wouldnt sell out there either.
too much

Cold Spring Harbor, NY

#9 Dec 12, 2008
I grew up skating at that rink also. It has always been a terrble rink. Lousy Ice, dips, etc. Eventhough I live less than a mile from there, I stay away from the that rink. Last year I found out that the Town of Oyster Bay has skating at the rink in Woodbury for $2.50 in bulk,$4.00 each. Outdoors and very nice, no stupid recreation card required either. Why pay $8.00 to skate at this horrible rink?'wonder what the new price wll be?$10?
wow

Bronx, NY

#10 Dec 12, 2008
Great place for a drag strip.
Greased palms

Plainfield, NJ

#11 Dec 12, 2008
You gotta wonder who is getting kickbacks from this contractor for them to be so anxious to proceed when everyone knows that major property tax hikes are coming in bad economic times.
Joe

Selden, NY

#12 Dec 12, 2008
If memory serves correct Greased,isnt this the same contractor from the Brookhaven pool blunder ???
fotoguy

White Plains, NY

#13 Dec 13, 2008
The Town has no argument as to the benefit of pushing ahead. NYC, for example, put projects on hold in the past due to hard economic times. The new rink at Flushing Meadow Park being a perfect example.
Of course, regarding Dix Hills residents, they would always be happier if it was in someone else's backyard
Who Benefits

Cold Spring Harbor, NY

#14 Dec 13, 2008
Whose cousin is the contractor? Look hard enough and you'll find that the answer. Ever wonder why they constantly repave roads that don't need it but are easy to do?
Why Not

Amityville, NY

#15 Dec 13, 2008
fotoguy wrote:
The Town has no argument as to the benefit of pushing ahead. NYC, for example, put projects on hold in the past due to hard economic times. The new rink at Flushing Meadow Park being a perfect example.
Of course, regarding Dix Hills residents, they would always be happier if it was in someone else's backyard
When this rink is finished I plan on buying shitloads of passes , then disttibuting them among the illegal alien population. You voted for them so they cut your lawns, lets see your daughter skate with them.

Enjoy!
mr right

Lindenhurst, NY

#16 Dec 13, 2008
Greased palms wrote:
You gotta wonder who is getting kickbacks from this contractor for them to be so anxious to proceed when everyone knows that major property tax hikes are coming in bad economic times.
that's EXACTLY what I was thinking...follow the money trail on this one...And is it me?, or is Frank Petrone one fat load...I don't know he just gets on my nerves.
mr right

Lindenhurst, NY

#17 Dec 13, 2008
Who Benefits wrote:
Whose cousin is the contractor? Look hard enough and you'll find that the answer. Ever wonder why they constantly repave roads that don't need it but are easy to do?
Probably related to Frank Petrone.
Why Not

Amityville, NY

#18 Dec 14, 2008
mr right wrote:
<quoted text> that's EXACTLY what I was thinking...follow the money trail on this one...And is it me?, or is Frank Petrone one fat load...I don't know he just gets on my nerves.
Huntington Rifle Range was the ONLY part of the parks and recreation Dept that MADE money. so what did they do?

They had thats whiney bitch, I fogot her name, and McKay shaking the owner down for bribe money until he could no longer pay, then closed the range.

Then arrested McKay for accpeting bribes...
Why Not

Amityville, NY

#19 Dec 14, 2008
mr right wrote:
<quoted text> Probably related to Frank Petrone.
And most likely has twenty five illegals and two fat white guys on the "Crew". Think I might just stop down at that site and see....with about 25 of my close friends and some local news....
Townie

Yaphank, NY

#20 Dec 15, 2008
We need a rifle range, Not two ice rinks! there are ice rinks all over the place and only a few rifle ranges. How nice would it be to hit nine holes skate around for an hour or two, then site in my 30-06?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dix Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to Copiague? 16 hr EastDrive 1
Neighbors and dogs 17 hr Brooklyn Grandma 1
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 20 hr Bruser 2,760
Judge Andrew Crecca (Dec '10) Tue CRECCA IS CORRUPT 59
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Sep 13 Jewel_and_Kaymac k 1,483
Looking for a male english bulldog to mate with... (Feb '13) Sep 12 bulldog lover 101
News Many oldies acts are 'great pretenders' - (Aug '07) Sep 11 Kissr 30

Dix Hills Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dix Hills Mortgages