Van Buren St Guy

Yorktown Heights, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2014

Newsday is reporting the Robert Clemente Park and Pool, located on Broadway, has been closed because some construction companies dumped asbestos fill onto the land. Therefor there is an investigation going on and a cleanup needed. Another stain on our town.
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2014

What a shame to hear that! Roberto Clemente is rolling in his grave right now. I hope nobody got sick- I can't believe someone would dump that crap where kids play.

I remember there being cancer clusters and a bunch of young kids getting diabetes on Long Island. Makes you wonder what hasn't been found.

It'll take years to clean up, especially since the government will be involved.

People find it hard to believe Brentwood was a really nice place for a while. Hopefully, it can get back to that one day.

“Vote Republican”

Since: Aug 08

Wyandanch, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2014

This was an intentional act at the expense of the good folks of Brentwood. The contractors have been identified because they asked to participate in the revitalization efforts. Now, the DA is considering the appropriate charges. Wow, anything to save a buck. And, put kids at risk. Ridiculous.
Van Buren St Guy

Yorktown Heights, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2014

Google You tube:"Hurricane Sandy in Brentwood". Someone videoed driving through the town after the hurricane back in 2012. In the video (maybe someone can place it on here) you will see the old library, the new Brentwood Main Firehouse, the old theatre and GRANTS (which became Brent City) shopping center...record store where I bought my old 45s, bowling alley, etc. The trip takes you through the new train station, up along the golf course, proceeds up Washington Ave passing Jimmy's Gulf Station and concludes with a left turn onto either Stockton or White Street. Wish there were more of these, especially from the 60's! BTW, I remember reading that back when Brentwood was called "Modern Times", the trees planted along Washington Ave, just north of Suffolk Ave, were interspersed with apple and pear trees. They served as a welcome to out of town visitors coming into the hood that could eat the fruit without bothering neighbors for handouts...how thoughtful.
HERE YA GO

Monroe, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2014

Van Buren St Guy wrote:
Google You tube:"Hurricane Sandy in Brentwood". Someone videoed driving through the town after the hurricane back in 2012. In the video (maybe someone can place it on here) you will see the old library, the new Brentwood Main Firehouse, the old theatre and GRANTS (which became Brent City) shopping center...record store where I bought my old 45s, bowling alley, etc. The trip takes you through the new train station, up along the golf course, proceeds up Washington Ave passing Jimmy's Gulf Station and concludes with a left turn onto either Stockton or White Street. Wish there were more of these, especially from the 60's! BTW, I remember reading that back when Brentwood was called "Modern Times", the trees planted along Washington Ave, just north of Suffolk Ave, were interspersed with apple and pear trees. They served as a welcome to out of town visitors coming into the hood that could eat the fruit without bothering neighbors for handouts...how thoughtful.
abc
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Mike D

North Port, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2014

emily hernandez wrote:
I came upon this site when searching for one of the best teachers ever Mr. Romboli. and I have to say reading all these posts took me back. I moved out of Brentwood and out of new York due to work. but I grew up in Brentwood in the 70s and to answer the guy vinnys question no it was not always a dump. Brentwood was a great place when I lived there. Brent city and the Brentwood theater. and then friendly's right across the street.to north east elem had Mrs. Johnson for kindergarten and then went to south east elem. that's where I had mr romboli. I went to the Jr high to. Brentwood was a safe and fun place to grow up in I have not been there in a couple of years. and by the posts I have read I think my heart would break to see it. I remember wicks road and Brentwood road and having fried clams at the Howard Johnson's. I want to thank everyone on this site for bringing back such wonderful memories. if any one could tell me what ever happen to mr romboli I would greatly appreciate it. and If I went to school with any of you or even hung out with you I jus want to say hi.
Bruce Romboli was my sixth grade teacher at Southwest Elementary. I remember he had a thick Boston accent. He taught at Sonderling my last year of high school ('87). Unfortunately, I haven't been back in over 20 years, so I don't know what he's doing now.
Peter Cuffaro

Apopka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2014

I agree Mr.Romboli was one great teacher He was my sixth grade teacher
at South East Elementary school in 1976. He taught us a lot back then,
not just school work. we were part of a team (whole class) there were
two teachers that stood out at southeast one was Mr. Romboli and the other
was Mr.Smith.
Cindy Lu

Centereach, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2014

My brother and I both had Mr. Romboli as a teacher in the 5th grade at Southeast Elementary. We thought he was absolutely inspiring and an incredible educator.
He had a Boston accent, red hair and a small beard. He taught me how to mulitiply and divide. I never forgot his methods and used them to teach both my children.
How fortunate do I still feel to this date to have had someone who actually cared to make sure I learned my times tables. I had straight F's the previous year.
Today I am a college graduate and a professional. Thank you Mr. Romboli. I owe you a great debt of graditude. You are still my hero....God Bless
Robert Leombruno

Grandview, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2014

LS of WP wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a Village Girl! What a sweet school. The kindergarten playground and the "erie canal" we all worked on, after lunch, which was by the steps of a fifth grade class room. I graduated in 1975 from HS in Orlando but it would have been Ross.
Sounds like Lija Liepins here. I do not remember the Erie canal. Explain?
Former BW

Syosset, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jun 30

The Old White's Gas Station (Texaco) at the corner of Washington Ave. and Suffolk Ave. was torn down last week. RUMOR has it, they are building a 7-11 with GAS PUMPS.
Tony

Massapequa, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday Jul 10

I lived in Brentwood full-time from 1965-1977. Left the old town and joined the Army after HS. You know the old saying "You can never go back home again". I drove through the old neighborhood, years ago when my kids were small, to show the wife & kids my old house. I was saddened to see what has become of the surrounding neighborhood. 5 or 6 cars parked on lawns, not an english speaking person in sight, and unkept filthy properties that make Fred Sanford's place look clean. It was once a vibrant neighborhood, where people took pride in their property, and it was safe to let your children play outside all day till dinner time. Some of the homes there now look like they belong in a 3rd world country. This is what America is becoming! I have great memories of Brentwood, but you can't bring back the past, and what has become of the old town of mine, is a suburban ghetto! Brentwood no more!!!!!!!!!
Tony

Massapequa, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday Jul 10

Van Buren St Guy wrote:
Newsday is reporting the Robert Clemente Park and Pool, located on Broadway, has been closed because some construction companies dumped asbestos fill onto the land. Therefor there is an investigation going on and a cleanup needed. Another stain on our town.
Before this park was built long after I left Brentwood, the area in question behind the firehouse was the Town Dump! lord knows how much toxic material was discarded there for decades.
Jewel_and_Kaymac k

Evanston, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jul 14

Judged:

Anyone remember skitching? It was a winter pastime in my neighborhood. There were six or seven of us waiting for a car to come through the neighborhood. When it did one of us would walk in front of it to slow it down, as the driver was paying attention to the pedestrian in front of him the rest of us would sneak up behind the car and grab the bumper. As the car began to accelerate, no more than 15-20 miles per hour in the snow, we would slide along the snow and ice on the street on our shoes, letting go when you got as far as you wanted to walk back or until you hit a patch of pavement. Those were the days when cars had chrome bumpers and they were easy to grab. Now of, course, everything is molded plastic and no more skitching! Fun Brentwood memories...
Van Buren St Guy

Yorktown Heights, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jul 14

Skitching was very common, we would sit by the stop sign and slide behind the car when they stopped. But before that, my dad would hook us up on our sled behind the chevy wagon and pull us throughout the neighborhood right after the snowfall and before the snow would melt in the street. We would go from Van Buren St all the way to Hills Supermarket and all around the surrounding streets.
Peter Cuffaro

Apopka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jul 14

All of us would Skitch in the parking lots of my dads Pizza shop on Timberline Dr. and also i Hills Parking lot on 2nd Ave. Who Remembers Franklin National Bank on 2nd Ave?
liz

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

Does anyone remember the bakery on heyward st in the year 1969. It was between Washington and Jefferson aves
Jewel_and_Kaymac k

Evanston, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday Jul 17

Once my brother and I were playing baseball in the empty lot next to our house when a light sprinkle began, certainly not enough to slow us down, when suddenly the skies opened up and it began raining cats and dogs. The rain came down so quickly the corner street drain became overwhelmed leading us to the puddle, before we knew it the water was up to our knees when we began diving and playing in the water. After the rain slowed and the drain emptied we were left wondering how we would explain to our parents why were soaked head to toe. Thatís when we decided to jump our fence, hang our soaked shirts, pants and socks on the clothes line and run in the back door and change without anyone noticing. No harm, no foul, today it gives my father something to laugh about 40 years later and reminds us how good it was to live in Brentwood.
kMAC

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday Jul 17

Jewel_and_Kaymac k wrote:
Anyone remember skitching?...
Lived on Kaymac...used to skitch on the back of school buses.
Peter Cuffaro

Decatur, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday Jul 17

The only one that comes to mind is Brings Bakery on Hayward street between
Washington ave and Jefferson street. Werner had another one on Timberline Drive.
Next to my dads pizza place.
Van Buren St Guy

Yorktown Heights, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Friday Jul 18

Bakery on Heyward was also called Hess Bakery for a while. Concerning the Franklin Bank, in school we used to have "bank day", where you submitted a small deposit and your bank book, on that day. Teacher had a sign over the blackboard that was two sided, side one was red and said "tomorrow is bank day", then flip it over to a blue color sign that stated "today is bank day"...our account was at Franklin. I got a chuckle about playing in the water when the sewers backed up, we used to "fish" in them...also, it reminded me of the days we would go to the sumps and catch tadpoles and frogs with one of us usually falling into the water. In the winter we would also sleigh ride in the sump...some sumps were more poular than others...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1,281 - 1,300 of1,311
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Dix Hills Forum right now

Search the Dix Hills Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
What happened to RObert MAyer? (Aug '13) 22 min Charlotte 1,459
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 1 hr Redumblican Teabagger 6,345
Review: Edp Dental Plan (Jan '10) 13 hr helen smith 30
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 16 hr Voter 16,767
Review: King Bear Auto Service Center 20 hr LorrelW 1
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 22 hr Bruser 2,254
Crime Report: Hempstead Man Arrested for Murder... Sun from Hempstead 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Dix Hills Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••