Van Buren St Guy

Yorktown Heights, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2014

You beat me to the news. As a kid I recall driving by and getting a whiff of those fresh baked cakes in the air. It always seemed the plant was continuously expanding. I was able to take a tour of the plant, we watched the chocolate frosted donuts being made, they even gave us a deliciously fresh one just off the conveyor belt before being boxed. A day did not go by that there wasn't a crumb cake in my house for us to pick at. Another sad loss for Brentwood and workers who were employed there.
We Do

East Moriches, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2014

Judged:

Centereach is getting pretty ratchet.
Peter Cuffaro

Apopka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2014

LFP wrote:
Hey Tmorelli, might you be related to Karen Morelli? I think that was her name. I say that because I thought she lived in the house next to Knoll Farm.
I remember Karen Morelli she had worked at McDonalds I used to talk to her often
she would come into my Fathers Pizza place on suffolk ave (Joes Pizza) we had a few mutual
friends from the neiborhood. Peter
Herman

Glasgow, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

It's hard to imagine that Brentwood was ever good. Seems it's been bad as long as I can remember- ever since all the sreggiN and scipS moved in.
Jewel_and_kaymac k

Lake Forest, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2014

Judged:

Back in the mid 1970’s me and my friends would go Christmas Caroling for tips so we could buy gifts. A few homes would turn us away, most welcomed us and few would even invite us inside their home, especially, if they were having a holiday party and listen to us sing: Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, Dashing through the Snow, etc., etc. At the end of the night we would divide up the tips and within a week or two we all had plenty of money and would go to o go to the Mall to buy a gift. Always perfume for Mom and she loved it… Funny how a few dollars went a long way back then. I left Brentwood for college in 1980 and come back occasionally to visit my brother in Bethpage. So many good memories…

“Vote Republican”

Since: Aug 08

Wyandanch, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

Judged:

Herman wrote:
It's hard to imagine that Brentwood was ever good. Seems it's been bad as long as I can remember- ever since all the sreggiN and scipS moved in.
I'm going to say that you are the reason why Brentwood is such a bad place to live.
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

I Hate Syracuse wrote:
<quoted text>I'm going to say that you are the reason why Brentwood is such a bad place to live.
Nice one, "I Hate Syracuse". You and you family have a great Easter.
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2014

The reason why so many towns and cities have fallen apart is because of the breakdown of the family unit. White, black, hispanic, asian- doesn't matter. If the basis family unit is not functioning, nothing else will go well.
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2014

BASIC family unit-sorry.
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2014

I moved from Brentwood when I was 13. I have paid local, state, and federal taxes all of my adult. life. I didn't pay property taxes until I was 30 and bought my first home.

I get pretty irate at the takers of society,too. Bums come in all colors.

“Vote Republican”

Wyandanch, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2014

Judged:

Uncle Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to say that if we had listened to people like Hermann back in the day, Brentwood (and CI; Crimedanch; Gordon Heights; N. Bayshore; N. Bellport; ad infinitum...) would not have become the slums they are today! And maybe our streets wouldn't be full of drunken bean-eaters playing smash-up derby!
Here's a clue for you (Because you obviously haven't got one): When Brentwood was full of white English-speakers, IT WAS A GREAT PLACE!!!!!
At least it appears that Hermann had the good sense to get the he11 out of there (as did I) while tools like you stay and pay eight-thousand dollars a year in property taxes.... Oh wait- just noticed your location. You're from the 'Danch. No wonder you're clueless. You're one of "those" people who made Brentwood what it is today, and you probably live in the projects and have never paid a dime in property taxes.
Yes, I am from Wyandanch, and that is a fact. And, that is a reflection of my parents, not me. I cannot control when or where I was born, I can only control what I do when I get here. I was raised in the NY state foster care system, so I have lived in many places. But, I call Wyandanch, my home. I had to adopt some place, correct?
I played Div I football and wrestling as an undergraduate, and still maintained a 3.67.
I earned a PhD in econometrics from Buffalo before my 25th birthday. I have written two textbooks before my 30th birthday. I paid of each of my homes before my 35th birthday. My children attend UNC and ECU. Child #3 has early admission to UNC which is her safe school, but she plans to attend Harvard. Child #4 was adopted and is currently in kindergarten, so, time will tell.

I live in a relatively nice area of Charlotte. And, I bet I pay more in income taxes than you have ever earned in your life. I also bet that I have contributed a great deal more to society last year than you have your entire life. You my friend are the problem. I do not spit on homeless people, I buy them shoes. I do not yell at fatherless children, I extend a loving arm. I do not cat-whistle at beautiful women, ok, I may stare a little… My point is, I try to make the world a better place by doing something about it. You gain nothing by placing blame on minorities. Do you blame your white counterparts for selling ‘those people’ a home?

“Vote Republican”

Wyandanch, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2014

Georgia wrote:
The reason why so many towns and cities have fallen apart is because of the breakdown of the family unit. White, black, hispanic, asian- doesn't matter. If the basis family unit is not functioning, nothing else will go well.
Mrs. Georgia, you are 100% correct. The lack of fathers in our communities is the root cause. There are too many boys out there having children, and not enough men. Anyone who can produce sperm can have a child, but, it takes a real man to care for his children and woman.
Alan Fazio

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2014

I went to South Jr. High also. My sister is Antonette Fazio. We left Long Island in 1995. I remember a lot of these teachers and places that people have mentioned. Does anyone remember a girl named Deborah Rhodes, or Jason Isreal? How about Jason Cole?
Alan Fazio

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2014

I spent the majority of my time at South Jr. High in Mr. Lloyd's office with his secretary Mrs. Sturgeon, or down the hall sitting in the In School Suspension room. Mrs. Ann Roomey was principal then. Wow I can remember all this like it was yesterday! Bongos pizza was the best! I was very close friends with T.J Shields. We are still good friends today and still keep in touch, as well as Danielle Jansen, and John Donovan who was my neighbor.
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2014

Alan Fazio wrote:
I spent the majority of my time at South Jr. High in Mr. Lloyd's office with his secretary Mrs. Sturgeon, or down the hall sitting in the In School Suspension room. Mrs. Ann Roomey was principal then. Wow I can remember all this like it was yesterday! Bongos pizza was the best! I was very close friends with T.J Shields. We are still good friends today and still keep in touch, as well as Danielle Jansen, and John Donovan who was my neighbor.
I went to South Junior High, but that was in the early 70's. I don't recognize any of the names you mentioned, but I might be older than you. I have a bunch of fond memories of Brentwood and still am in touch with my best friends from that time.

My father was in jail (although I didn't find out until years later!) so, my grandparents moved in to help out. Looking back, we were a bratty bunch of kids, but people really did try to extend kindness when they could.
van buren st guy

Yorktown Heights, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2014

I just read that the Brentwood skyline is about to change as there is a plan to take down the water tower by the BYA fields.
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2014

That water tower was a landmark, wasn't it? I can't picture the fields without it.
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2014

Judged:

I Hate Syracuse wrote:
<quoted text>Mrs. Georgia, you are 100% correct. The lack of fathers in our communities is the root cause. There are too many boys out there having children, and not enough men. Anyone who can produce sperm can have a child, but, it takes a real man to care for his children and woman.
Women are also responsible for the breakdown in the American family. Women have more choices than ever, yet choose to have children with men who will not participate in the raising of these children. Women have devalued their bodies and their own children hoping that someone else will care enough to care for them. Women used to be the gate keepers, so to speak. The line in the sand, the moral authority, and I'm not speaking in a religious manner.

Most woman can bear children, but not all women are raising these children. If goes without saying that sometimes there are circumstances beyond anyone's control. But, for the most part women need to become prepared in order to care for and love a child.

The neighborhood moms I grew up with busted their butts cleaning, cooking, and watching kids. A few worked, but they weren't off the clock just because they got off work. They were in it for the long-haul. I have a great deal of respect for these women.

When it became socially acceptable and pretty much government sanctioned to not care for your own children, the breakdown of the family became the norm.
Van Buren St Guy

Yorktown Heights, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2014

Read today that the ok was given to develop Heartland, which will be an instant community built on the Pilgrim State property. Suppose to have the tallest building on LI, plus an aquarium, many mom and pop type stores along with hundreds of affordable residential units. Does anyone recall back in the day the high corn stalks that ran along Wicks Rd? Also "G" road, as it was called was a windey pot holed service road that ran between Wicks and Crooked Hill Rd and is now four lanes. There was a gentleman, actually a Pilgrim State patient who would walk the streets in north Brentwood, you could tell because he wore all white clothing, even a white hat. Every other day or so, he would just walk on by in a zen like zombie state of mind. I recall the big talk when the town started to put in a soccer field behind North Junior High, we all thought who wants to play soccer? there was only one summer sport and that was basball. Then if you remember, a small plane crashed landed on the field there,too. Speaking of NJH, a shout out to one of the coolest History teachers, Mr. Lowell. And, I can't forget the ever whistling Mr. Podstupka, shop class. Was a gym teacher named Tagner there? Trying to recall..
Gerry Attard

Scottsdale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2014

Judged:

Gone forever wrote:
Saint Anne's School, The Italian Food Center on the corner of Suffolk Ave and Washington Ave. Tony's Pizza on Clark St. Campbell's Bakery. It will never be the same!
After church at Saint Anne's on Sunday my father would pick up rolls and donuts at Campbell's bakery, this was back in the 1960s. We lived on Van Buren St in North Brentwood. I had a Newsday paper route in the 1960s and when I finished delivering my papers I would buy a slice of pizza at Tony's for 25 cents a slice.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Dix Hills Forum right now

Search the Dix Hills Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to RObert MAyer? (Aug '13) 5 min Dan 1,550
NY Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in N... (Oct '10) 11 hr Gravity Pete 670
Review: The Karate Academy Of Bethpage (Nov '13) 11 hr Carly 6
Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 22 hr Bruser 7,859
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 22 hr Bruser 2,261
NY Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) Mon cornholio 437
NY Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) Mon sdd 755
•••
•••
•••
Dix Hills Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Dix Hills Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••