Watch Out for Ticks - wtvr

There are 16 comments on the May 18, 2010, WTVR story titled Watch Out for Ticks - wtvr. In it, WTVR reports that:

Ticks are bad news for both your pets and your family and recently some local veterinarians are saying they are seeing more and more of them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTVR.

Suzanne Arthur

Sanford, NC

#1 May 19, 2010
Thank you so much for this article. It saddens me that so many people and pet owners don't know what a travesty it can be to get Lyme. Early diagnosis is the best (aside from prevention) but most people don't think to check for ticks after being outside. Thanks for helping to raise awareness!
Suzanne, lyme-disease-research-database.com
AReid

Richmond, VA

#2 May 19, 2010
Ticks are really bad here. My dog is protected with frontline and we are still getting so many ticks. Please help what do I do. How do I get rid of them in my house now???
not a teahead

Richmond, VA

#3 May 19, 2010
Stop letting teabaggers in your house, never know where they've been. Too much trolling around with palin.
history buff

Richmond, VA

#4 May 19, 2010
AReid wrote:
Ticks are really bad here. My dog is protected with frontline and we are still getting so many ticks. Please help what do I do. How do I get rid of them in my house now???
Boric acid is very effective against most insects.It's cheap,you can get it at the Dollar stores.It is not toxic in most cases in mammals(it's estimated to have the toxicidity level of table salt)and it's natural.You can use it around pets and kids.Do some research if you like just to see what people say about it.
We had insect issues in my home when we first moved into it.Boric acid wiped them little suckers out!
not a teahead

Richmond, VA

#5 May 19, 2010
Will it work on teabaggers also/ they are a bunch of ticks that have already exploded.
Oh Snap

Richmond, VA

#6 May 20, 2010
not a teahead wrote:
Will it work on teabaggers also/ they are a bunch of ticks that have already exploded.
"Junk Button" pressed
jon pepper

Gig Harbor, WA

#7 Aug 10, 2010
shEEt,i hate Bucking TICKS...
jon pepper

Gig Harbor, WA

#8 Aug 10, 2010
SHEET,I HATE BUCKING TICKS.
classylady

United States

#9 Aug 11, 2010
This is were the Buck gota stop here. Its always the black bugs that people are always bugging out and I never play when I ate meatballs y'all
Asheville NC native

Asheville, NC

#10 Aug 13, 2010
Suzanne Arthur wrote:
Thank you so much for this article. It saddens me that so many people and pet owners don't know what a travesty it can be to get Lyme. Early diagnosis is the best (aside from prevention) but most people don't think to check for ticks after being outside. Thanks for helping to raise awareness!
Suzanne, lyme-disease-research-database.com
Suzanne Arther, we definitely need a large public awareness campaign here in NC! The doctors and so many veterinarians keep saying that we don't even have Lyme Disease here in NC! That's a lie! Our friend's dog almost died of Lyme Disease last year and they were a young dog too, not sick or elderly.
Bad news. What's worse is all the people who have started to think it's "cool" to feed deer in their own backyard in the suburbs, that's really dangerous!
Bad enough the deer eat all the plants in your garden, but even worse to catch Lyme Disease.
Really, anyone who thinks it's "safe" to have Deer around their home is a first class fool!
I feel sorry for the guy across the road who's got a pasture full of horses. He probably doesn't even know the people across the street from him are feeding deer and luring them to their yard on a daily basis.
There's no vaccines coming down the pike for humans, horses, or cats. None in the near future either. Finding a dr. who'll treat you or even admit you got the disease is like finding a needle in a haystack.
We got some weird neighbors here in Asheville who've insisted on leaving a huge salt block out in their yard since last year! No wonder we have deer roaming in our yard all the time!
It's terrifying and the animal control department won't do a thing about it either. they'll actually tell you to step outside when there's full grown bucks running near your home! How scary & dangerous to the public to act like this!
At least in Virginia, they are willing to let people know the dangers of ticks. Here they act like it's no big deal! It's creepy! But then, they keep insisting it's OK that wild bears are running wild in downtown Asheville too! Weird, so weird....
What is even worse is there's a kids ballpark right our home, and the deer often go down there and poop near the ballfields. Gosh, I'm sure none of the parents who bring their kids to the park, are even aware that deer are foraging in the ballpark, or probably even know how dangerous Lyme Disease is to catch for humans!
It's scary too. We had dozens of full grown bucks with 8-10 point antlers running loose right near our house all last winter & spring and they are still around! They could of easily gored us to death so many times. It's dangerous to even step outside sometimes when the deer are around.. they have no fear anymore of humans. You can yell at them for 10 minutes and they just stand there, unfazed!
We need to have laws passed banning people from feeding deer in the suburbs.
They need to make it a FELONY to feed deer in the suburbs! After all, you can die from catching Lyme Disease.
If they think it's okay to arrest someone for driving drunk, then why is it OK for N.C. Wildlife Commission to give everyone the OK to feed any type of wild animal? That's nuts! That just endangers the general public. Shame on North Carolina for having these type of laws!
Asheville NC native

Asheville, NC

#11 Aug 13, 2010
history buff wrote:
<quoted text>
Boric acid is very effective against most insects.It's cheap,you can get it at the Dollar stores.It is not toxic in most cases in mammals(it's estimated to have the toxicidity level of table salt)and it's natural.You can use it around pets and kids.Do some research if you like just to see what people say about it.
We had insect issues in my home when we first moved into it.Boric acid wiped them little suckers out!
What exactly do you do with the boric acid History Buff? How do you apply it and how much do u apply?

Do you know of anything that will discourage snakes from coming into your yard? We've had a problem with that too.
Gerry

Richmond, VA

#12 Aug 13, 2010
history buff wrote:
<quoted text>
Boric acid is very effective against most insects.It's cheap,you can get it at the Dollar stores.It is not toxic in most cases in mammals(it's estimated to have the toxicidity level of table salt)and it's natural.You can use it around pets and kids.Do some research if you like just to see what people say about it.
We had insect issues in my home when we first moved into it.Boric acid wiped them little suckers out!
Thank you Mr. History Buff for your info.
AmeliaPat

Amelia Court House, VA

#13 Aug 14, 2010
not a teahead wrote:
Will it work on teabaggers also/ they are a bunch of ticks that have already exploded.
Typical left-wing liberal socialist response....nothing of value to add to the conversation. My suggestion to this misguided soul is to move to California where you can worship Pelosi. Now that is a real parasite on the butts of Americans.
history buff

Richmond, VA

#14 Aug 14, 2010
Asheville NC native wrote:
<quoted text>
What exactly do you do with the boric acid History Buff? How do you apply it and how much do u apply?
Do you know of anything that will discourage snakes from coming into your yard? We've had a problem with that too.
You buy it in powder form,available in home improvement stores,dollar general(usually sold as roach killer)It can be lightly dusted on carpets,around baseboards,etc.It seems to kill by desacating the bugs(drying them of bodily fluids from the inside out)so they can't develop an immunity to it.How much to apply?That part is an experiment for sure,but it doesn't seem to take alot to kill them.If they crawl through it,that seems to do the trick.If you notice the active ingredient in alot of pesticides,it's listed as borax or boric acid.Yes,it's the same thing your mom used in the laundry(20 mule team borax).
All i did was put"boric acid"in on my internet search engine(I use Yahoo)and I got alot of information and suggestions and opinions on it's use and effectiveness.Try it yourself!
history buff

Richmond, VA

#15 Aug 14, 2010
Oh yeah,snakes....my understanding is that there really isn't any such thing as a true snake repellent.There are some sold,and then you've got the old wives tales about mothballs,but my understanding is that none of them actually can be proven effective.
LittleBeeGees

Asheville, NC

#16 Aug 14, 2010
We saw something in the home improvement store called Snake Away. Does that not work? We have friends who got snakes crawling right near their doors.

I know snakes are pretty prevalent this year. Two people in Asheville just got bit by copperheads this week alone in the Asheville area. A 5 year old girl, and a man who was doing a state wide run! Dangerous. I hate snakes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Disputanta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hopewell School Superintendent has idea to deve... 1 hr Silent Echo 10
waverly book store (Jul '13) Apr 25 Armyguy 911
Pelham New Mayor of Hopewell! Apr 24 VN Vet 27
Radio stations talking smack about hopewell va Apr 24 Silent Echo 2
Mayor Flubs Again Apr 23 VN Vet 4
local attorney Apr 23 Cliff 4
March 9th Important Date Apr 23 anchors away 40
More from around the web

Disputanta People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]