Fights at Dinwiddie H.S. graduation c...

Fights at Dinwiddie H.S. graduation ceremony - wtvr

There are 147 comments on the WTVR story from Jun 17, 2010, titled Fights at Dinwiddie H.S. graduation ceremony - wtvr. In it, WTVR reports that:

Pomp and circumstance... and mace. It was a night to remember at the Dinwiddie High School graduation, for all the wrong reasons.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTVR.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
creg

Midlothian, VA

#1 Jun 18, 2010
Society has gone to helllllll.I assume this was parents also and for that you sicko scum bags should be ashamed.I will not even venture a guess on the racial make up of this school because we all know race has nothing to do with being a worthless,do nothing,have them babies for profit kinda parent,right?Watch you fall and I am loving it,keep hammering that nail and you will stay down.
Carol Bowyer

Powhatan, VA

#2 Jun 18, 2010
I am a parent of a graduating senior and I can say without a doubt that the ceremony was poorly organized. The parking was a nightmare with no one helping to direct traffic on the way in or out. I am very close to one student whose parents and other family members where not allowed in to watch her graduate. That is one memory they can never get back.
Sammy

Richmond, VA

#3 Jun 18, 2010
What a SHAME????
margery

Bethesda, MD

#4 Jun 18, 2010
you should of had it at the seigel center in richmond. or at the track and filed at vsu. it was bad when parents couldnt see the kids graduate.
Dinwiddie

Colonial Heights, VA

#5 Jun 18, 2010
This is terrible...I wanted to go watch one of my son's friends graduate and I am glad that I chose not to..my son will be a senior next year and I certainly hope that DCHS is better prepared then...I feel sorry for all the parents that didn't get to watch their child receive their diploma..what a wasted memory.

Since: Feb 10

Midlothian, VA

#6 Jun 18, 2010
Well we are talking about Petersburg, right?

Do you people actually expect better? Why????????
Abby

Richmond, VA

#7 Jun 18, 2010
This sounds as though it was TOTALLY unorganized and orchestrated. I do feel sorry for the graduates and their families - whatever the cause. Maybe the parents can get together and have a picnic/party at Pocahontas State Park to make up for such a fiasco. Sad - but this is what WE have allowed to happen to our country. Parents...step it up.
LeeLee

Raleigh, NC

#8 Jun 18, 2010
This is a really sad story, I would also be very P/O'd by the lack of caring and sympathy that the school has. They have had all year to find a venue that would hold as many folks as wanted to come and see their seniors graduate. What a shame for those students that did not have their parents see them after 12/13 years of school to get their diplomas. I don't even know them, but congratulations all the same. The Best of Luck to the class of DHS 2010.
Honestly they should do it all over again somewhere that can accomodate the entire class and families/friends. Just my opinion.
GetaGrip

Richmond, VA

#9 Jun 18, 2010
What a total embarassment to Dinwiddie County. I was there last night to see friends graduate. There was no parking help or traffic control first off when we got there. We arrived almost one hour before graduation and the gym was almost at capacity then. My son and I went to the very top of the gym and had to stand up the entire 2 hours. THERE WAS NO AIR CONDITIONING!!!! It was so hot, you could not breathe. People were getting sick from the heat, especially older people. The crowd was loud and rowdy. One parent ran onto the gym floor during graduation yelling obsenities and had to be taken off by Dinwiddie Police, which there was not nearly enough of. Young men walking around in the bleachers with NO SHIRT on during graduation...you couldn't hear anybody's name being called.....WHAT A EMBARASSMENT FOR DINWIDDIE COUNTY and a AWFUL MEMORY FOR ANY STUDENT OR PARENT OF A GRADUATING STUDENT. And by the way, why was there bleacher construction going on a DCHS's football field BEFORE graduation? Think maybe today would have been a better time to rip out the old bleachers and start puting in new ones???? ABSOLUTELY AWFUL EXPERIENCE.
Sheena Laney

Glen Allen, VA

#10 Jun 18, 2010
This is such a horrible situation. God bless the class of 2010 and their family and friends. To all the relatives and friends that couldnt see that special person walk across the stage, i feel strongly that you should complain to the school board about this. I attended VSU, and i will admitt that the gym is toooo small and the VSU police are just horrible. But its not their faulth. The buck starts with dinwinddie. They should be ashamed.
pam

Richmond, VA

#11 Jun 18, 2010
i had a daughter who graduated last night and it was crazy. no seats, hot, could not hear anything, it was awful. her brother never made it inside so was unable to see his baby sister walk the stage. this graduation was not well planned or organized. you can not expect to put a county as big as dinwiddie into a gym. what a joke. thank goodness this was my last one. will not have to go thru this again until grand children come along. and hopefully by then dchs will get their stuff together. well despite the mayhem, congrats to all that survived graduation. way to go all!!!!!!
Bystander

Petersburg, VA

#12 Jun 18, 2010
If you go see the bleachers you will understand that there is no construction going on. They are fixing a problem from the 1930's when the facilities were built. You should know that Dinwiddie County would not do anything to upgrade their football facility. Know the situation before popping off at the mouth about Dinwiddie County.
HENRY

Mechanicsville, VA

#13 Jun 18, 2010
I WAS THERE AT 530 PM AND THE SEATING WAS FULL. THE GYM WAS HOT AS HECK AND I FINALLY FOUND A SEAT THAT WAS BEING SAVE FOR SOMEONE ELSE. I FEEL THAT THERE WHERE PEOPLE THERE THAT SHOULD HAVE NOT BEEN THERE. PEOPLE SAVING SEATS FOR SOMEONE THAT COULDN'T GET IN THE GYM. I HAD FAMILT COMING FROM VA BEACH AND RICHMOND WHO WHERE TURN AROUND AT THE INTERSECTION TO THE VSU. OLDER PEOPLE LIKE GRANDMOTHERS AND FATHERS THAT WHERE OVER HEATED AND THEY COULD NOT STAY IN THE GYM AND HAD TO GO. I HAD FAMILY THAT WITHNESS A 10 YEAR OLD GO OUT SIDE FOR AIR AND COOL DOWN AND THE VSU PEOPLE WOULD NOT LET THAT 10 YEAR OLD BACK IN,SO HIS FATHER HAD A PUSHING MATCH AND FINALYY THE VSU POLICE CAME AND LET HIS SON IN. ALLOT WAS WRONG.BUT ONE THING I CAN SAY. MRS PITTMAN THE SCHOOL PRINCIPLE IS A VERY UP STANDING PERSON AND IF MRS PITTMAN KNEW ANYTHING LIKE THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN SHE WOULD OF MADE CHANGES.I HAVE SEEN MRS PITTMAN IN ACTION MANY OF TIMES. THE DHS STAFF ARE A 1 IN MY BOOK AND THEY DID WHAT THEY COULD DO TO KEEP ORDER AND SAFTEY FIRST.
Thomas Browning

Richmond, VA

#14 Jun 18, 2010
I need to clear up a statement made by someone. Virginia State University is in Chesterfield County. Everytime something bad happens you want to blame Petersburg. You need to blame your sorry school administators at Dinwiddie High School. They moved the graduation.
Dinwiddie Parent

Richmond, VA

#15 Jun 18, 2010
I am a parent of a senior that graduated from DHS last night and I can say I was glad that I arrived so early and was able to see the ceremony because I could not imagine being locked out of such a special milestone in my child's academic career. I was shocked at the behavior of many of the attendees and would have loved to see those folks replaced by the parents that came to honor their children. It was unbelievably hot and noisy and the entire event was a disaster! I felt like I was attending some low rate basketball game rather than such an honered and formal ceremony. I am doubting that this venue held 3,000 people though, there is no possible way that is accurate. This was due to poor planning and a lack of concern for the community that DHS displays on a consistent basis. I would hope this will be a turning point for the school system to step their game up. They should have recognized this problem before the ceremony started as it was obvious by 6:00 that this gym was not going to accommodate these families. DHS should have made the call to split the ceremony into 2 sessions, A-M N-Z, to quickly remedy their blunder and make it possible for parents to see their child. I have expereinced so many problems since my child has atteneded Dinwiddie High School and we were glad to finally big good riddance to the school system and especially many of the administration! I am embarrased greatly as a resident by this whole affair.
FORMER RESIDENT

Castle Hayne, NC

#16 Jun 18, 2010
Just another embarrassment and disappointment for the books of History on Dinwiddie County at the expense of there TAX paying residents and family's. This time the embarrassment and disappointment reaches far past just the tax payers of the County on to the Youths and others who would possibly be the future of the County. Such a terrible unorganized and poorly orchestrated thing to happen for such a major event for the residents of the County as well as non residents. Not to mention that the County, State Of Virginia, are subsidized by the Federal Government to receive funds, that the working citizens are footing the bill. I think that this is a Disappointment and Embarrassment not only to the residents of the County but should be to the State Of Virginia as a whole.
Thomas Browning

Richmond, VA

#17 Jun 18, 2010
Dinwiddie parent you are correct. This was poor planning on behalf of the school administrator. Why build a brand school which could not accomadate the graduation? You have a dumb school board.
TME

United States

#18 Jun 18, 2010
Poor timing and horrible planning on the part of the Dinwiddie school system. If you limit yourself to an indoor facility for graduation you need to set other limits too...like 5 family members/friends per graduate. Definitely still sucks, but they had 3 weeks to plan this out and didn't do a good job at all.

Who approved of a construction project before graduation that wouldnt allow the use of the FREE facility/grounds? I dont know if VSU offered it for free or not, but I seriously doubt it. Dinwiddie has a lot of damage control to do...
Someone will be fired for this...
Thomas Browning

Richmond, VA

#19 Jun 18, 2010
Why build a brand new school and not be able to hold your own graduation there? Why? You are a dumb school board. You need to remove them all.
GetaGrip

Richmond, VA

#20 Jun 18, 2010
Bystander wrote:
If you go see the bleachers you will understand that there is no construction going on. They are fixing a problem from the 1930's when the facilities were built. You should know that Dinwiddie County would not do anything to upgrade their football facility. Know the situation before popping off at the mouth about Dinwiddie County.
Don't you think DCHS could have found a better time to fix a problem than right before graduation????? That doesn't take much intellegence to figure out. Poor, Poor planning and judgement on someones part. DCHS didn't make the decision to move the ceremony until 3 weeks ago which tells me that problem that they were fixing, i.e., contruction going on, could have been planned and done at a more appropriate time. I DO KNOW THE SITUATION! I live there and have students and friends that are there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dinwiddie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News I am a gay Yankee teacher in the South (Aug '15) May 27 Wondering 17
Can The City of Petersburg get any worse? May 13 PReZ 5
Meherrin Jail May 8 Meherrin Jail 1
Get rid of the career Politicians Apr '16 Zeke the Pinhead 1
Who knows Brian Canter? Apr '16 Heather 1
News Video Shows Sheriff Using Racial Slur During In... (Oct '15) Apr '16 Honest Lawenforce... 6
Thriller Book Store (Aug '12) Apr '16 dvdrom075 34
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dinwiddie Mortgages