Suspect Picks Wrong House - wtvr

Suspect Picks Wrong House - wtvr

There are 26 comments on the WTVR story from Oct 28, 2009, titled Suspect Picks Wrong House - wtvr. In it, WTVR reports that:

Big news in the little town of Carson. The following is a press release from Dinwiddie County Sheriff's Office: For Immediate Release: October 28, 2009 SEARCH FOR ATTEMPTED BURGLARY SUSPECT ENDS IN ARREST DINWIDDIE CO.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTVR.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
noexcuses

Crozet, VA

#25 Nov 3, 2009
Kirsten wrote:
No, Eliza, "society" hasn't failed him. It's people like YOU who tell criminals, "It's not your fault that you made bad choices. It's all society's fault or the victim's fault or someone else's fault, but it's NEVER your fault because you're a special snowflake."
Newsflash: Many people had terrible childhoods, but they don't go around victimizing others.
And incidentally, this POS should be glad he didn't break into MY house. I've read waaaay too many stories about home invasions that start off as burglaries and end in rape and/or murder of the homeowner. If a strange man breaks into my house, am I going to ask him about his feelings and whether or not Mommy hugged him enough as a child? Ha ha, NO, I'm going to blast his head off.
Although I bet a young woman like me defending herself from a potential rapist or murderer just horrifies Marxists like Eliza.
I LOVE THIS!!
noexcuses

Crozet, VA

#26 Nov 3, 2009
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and South Dakota all have the castle doctrine. Texas does not--they just have their own kind of justice---
noexcuses

Crozet, VA

#27 Nov 3, 2009
An intruder must be making (or have made) an attempt to unlawfully and/or forcibly enter an occupied home, business or car.
The intruder must be acting illegally—e.g. the Castle Doctrine does not give the right to attack officers of the law acting in the course of their legal duties
The occupant(s) of the home must reasonably believe that the intruder intends to inflict serious bodily harm or death upon an occupant of the home
The occupant(s) of the home must reasonably believe that the intruder intends to commit some other felony, such as arson or burglary
The occupant(s) of the home must not have provoked or instigated an intrusion, or provoked or instigated an intruder to threaten or use deadly force
The occupant(s) of the home may be required to attempt to exit the house or otherwise retreat (this is called the "Duty to retreat" and most self-defense statutes referred to as examples of "Castle Doctrine" expressly state that the homeowner has no such duty)--info from Wikipedia

Since: Feb 08

United States

#29 Nov 3, 2009
Guardian wrote:
<quoted text>
I am telling you that if you shoot an unarmed trespasser in your home in the state of Virginia there is a chance you will go to prison.
This ain't Texas, there is no Castle rule in this state. You are expected to leave if you can, that's right, from your own home.
You must be in fear of your life, or in fear for the lives of others in the home from a threat and have no viable way to escape the danger except by shooting the individual.
A duty to retreat.......not good.
The 'tresspasser' would be better off to not make a bad decision and break into my house.
Guardian

Free Union, VA

#30 Nov 3, 2009
noexcuses wrote:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and South Dakota all have the castle doctrine. Texas does not--they just have their own kind of justice---
You have been misinformed noexcuses.

Major provisions of Texas' Castle Law:

• Presumes you are reasonable in using force if someone – illegally and with force – enters or is attempting to enter your occupied home, car or workplace. You are not given this presumption if you provoked the person or are engaged in a crime.

• Removes your obligation to retreat if possible before using deadly force if you are anywhere you have a right to be. The previous law obliged you to retreat if a "reasonable person" would have, except in a situation where someone unlawfully entered your home.

• Gives you added protection from lawsuits by injured attackers or their families. Previous law granted this protection if someone illegally entered your home, but not in other situations.
Guardian

Free Union, VA

#31 Nov 3, 2009
I suggest anyone who decides to be proactive in their personal protection to go through the process and training in firearm use, which should include the releveant firearm laws of the state in which they reside.
I was once against the formality involved with the acquisition of the CWP, but afterward I understood the need to arm the public with knowledge first.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dinwiddie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Inmate dies at Central State Hospital in Va - wtvr (Mar '10) Apr 21 Mom 111
Dinwiddie County Sheriff's race (Nov '11) Apr 20 Leader sets stand... 174
Corruption / Illegal Acts by City Officials an... (Jul '10) Nov '16 Mansion Hiller 8
North dinwiddie area Nov '16 D_SH-T 3
News Belton out as interim city manager in Petersbur... Oct '16 sam 1
News Video Shows Sheriff Using Racial Slur During In... (Oct '15) Sep '16 agie 8
News Petersburg hit with lawsuit over $1.2 million i... (Sep '16) Sep '16 True Judgement 1

Dinwiddie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dinwiddie Mortgages