missing man search around appomattox river - wtvr

Full story: WTVR 26
Missing Airman hadn't been seen for 3 days. We've just received a press release from the Dinwiddie County Sheriff's Office. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Southside resident

Richmond, VA

#1 Jan 22, 2010
Hopefully we will find out how & why he got from A. Park to Nottoway. If it was deliberate,he should face consequences.A lot of effort seems to have been put into searching for him.
Laurel Travis

Staunton, VA

#2 Jan 22, 2010
As someone who drove over 3 hours to participate in this search, I am simply delighted that this young man is alive. It's the best news I've had all week. I hope his community welcomes him home.
Richmond Native

Richmond, VA

#3 Jan 22, 2010
Southside resident wrote:
Hopefully we will find out how & why he got from A. Park to Nottoway. If it was deliberate,he should face consequences.A lot of effort seems to have been put into searching for him.
So if someone declares you missing when you're really not they should be punished for not "checking in" periodically? Doesn't it say he's 20 years old? It's a shame resources seemed a wasted effort here but you don't know the circumstances enough to suggest punishment. Bad call ref, bad call.
Rhonda Wills

Richmond, VA

#4 Jan 22, 2010
THis is a simple case of A-wall,where miliraty men failt to show up for duty,I know my brother in law did it in the army,but they didnt send the police they just called his parents house,I think this man simply did not want to go back,maybe he hated it like so many other military men,but hopefull he can stick it out till he gets out.I am glad though he was found safe and sound.....
Southside resident

Richmond, VA

#5 Jan 22, 2010
Richmond Native wrote:
<quoted text>
So if someone declares you missing when you're really not they should be punished for not "checking in" periodically? Doesn't it say he's 20 years old? It's a shame resources seemed a wasted effort here but you don't know the circumstances enough to suggest punishment. Bad call ref, bad call.
I said "If"
Close Friend

Pleasanton, CA

#6 Jan 22, 2010
Question: Do any of you who are suggesting "punishment", or do any of you who are claiming this is a typical case of "A-Wall" know this man well enough to determine that? I think, no. No one can make that judgment without having personal knowledge of who the person is, and what the person is going through. Granted, a lot of people have put a lot of time and effort into finding him, and that's wonderful, but for the people that are sincere in their job efforts, shouldn't mind the time they've invested in this; for those that are truly passionate about what they do, will be happy to know he is safe and sound. I know I am. I missed several days of work and school to help find him, and I don't regret a single second of it. I'm just so happy that my prayers were answered, and he is home safely.
Southern Virginia

Richmond, VA

#7 Jan 22, 2010
Close Friend wrote:
Question: Do any of you who are suggesting "punishment", or do any of you who are claiming this is a typical case of "A-Wall" know this man well enough to determine that? I think, no. No one can make that judgment without having personal knowledge of who the person is, and what the person is going through. Granted, a lot of people have put a lot of time and effort into finding him, and that's wonderful, but for the people that are sincere in their job efforts, shouldn't mind the time they've invested in this; for those that are truly passionate about what they do, will be happy to know he is safe and sound. I know I am. I missed several days of work and school to help find him, and I don't regret a single second of it. I'm just so happy that my prayers were answered, and he is home safely.
As far as the people who put in their job efforts, there are other emergencys that go on, these resources should not be waisted like this when people decide its a good idea to run away and make it look like something else. Who's to say next time someone does the same, less people will show up thinking its just another case of what just happend?
Another Friend

AOL

#8 Jan 22, 2010
Like the other friend said YOU do not know the sitution.You do not know all the evidence or information that the police and family found. We all should be lucky he was found alive and safe. Yes, those people who do this for a living yes, it was an incoinvence for them and yes they could have been out doing something else. But this was a big deal. And most of you do not know anything other than what the news has told you, which was missing mil. man. You don't know where he was stationed, when he came home, and so one and you def. do not know about his state of mind. It really should not matter to you anyways. What did you lose yourself out of this? nothing.
Father of Preston

AOL

#9 Jan 22, 2010
Thank you for all of your prayers and concerns while our family searched for Preston. We are elated to have him back and to know that he is safe.
To all of the law enforcement, search and rescue, we deeply appreciate all of your efforts. There are no words to express how grately we are for your quick response.
To all of the negative responses my reply would be I hope you would get the help that was needed when your child is reported missing. I am truly greatful and maybe you need to hug your child today because you never know when it could be your.
Coleman Family

AOL

#10 Jan 22, 2010
We would like to thank Wayne Covil for his reporting and getting the word out so quickly about Preston. We hope that more of your stories will end happily.
Thank you so much to WTVR Channel 6.
edy

Glen Allen, VA

#11 Jan 22, 2010
The HCPD did not help me when a peodophile took videos of her and his daughter playing dress up and other things. Oh I forgot He is one of them!!!!
doright

Petersburg, VA

#12 Jan 23, 2010
Thanks to all the VOLUNTEER searchers that helped. I did not know that the people that showed up with equipment and dogs were all volunteer. To take time off from work and to put forth the effort to look for him is truly appreciated. Even when you had another search to respond to in Roanoke, you were there for him. You all were professional and kind. Thanks for your efforts and not thinking it was a waste of your time.

Now come back and help look for that missing lady in Chester!!!
JKK

Petersburg, VA

#13 Jan 23, 2010
Good news to hear he is at home safe.
Southern Virginia

Chrisney, IN

#14 Jan 23, 2010
Another Friend wrote:
Like the other friend said YOU do not know the sitution.You do not know all the evidence or information that the police and family found. We all should be lucky he was found alive and safe. Yes, those people who do this for a living yes, it was an incoinvence for them and yes they could have been out doing something else. But this was a big deal. And most of you do not know anything other than what the news has told you, which was missing mil. man. You don't know where he was stationed, when he came home, and so one and you def. do not know about his state of mind. It really should not matter to you anyways. What did you lose yourself out of this? nothing.
Wrong, I do know more than what the news has told. I took part in the search and lost a whole 2 days that could been spent in a much better way than search for someone who missled us, and was quite mad, not that he was alive but that he knew what was goin on and yet did nothing to alert anybody untill the main search was called off.
doright

Petersburg, VA

#15 Jan 24, 2010
They had searchers there for two whole days? I heard it was one day.

S. Va, you need to be a little more professional considering you were asked to respond by Dinwiddie. They asked you because you were a professional and not some "joe", so act like it. I am guessing this is not the first time you worked something for nothing. What did you do then? Cry, complain or just move on for the next call.

Why do you even respond to searches? To be a hero? Did you miss your chance in Dinwiddie? Think about the family and know they appreciated your efforts and let your gripes end there. Thanks for helping those who thought they were in great need.
doright

Petersburg, VA

#16 Jan 24, 2010
how many searchers were from Fredricksburg? Hmmm, Freedom of information should do the job to see who from fredricksburg was working the search. To see who was responding as a "professional" but is acting more like a ???
Southern Virginia

Dunnsville, VA

#17 Jan 24, 2010
doright wrote:
how many searchers were from Fredricksburg? Hmmm, Freedom of information should do the job to see who from fredricksburg was working the search. To see who was responding as a "professional" but is acting more like a ???
And i care why?
doright

Petersburg, VA

#18 Jan 24, 2010
If you are a true "searcher" than you should hold yourself to a higher standard and accountability. Not to mention, keep your personal views personal. How do your fellow searchers feel abut you voicing your personal insight about the search and voicing your personal opinions of wasting time?

I deem those actions unprofessional. You should be ashamed and don't bother looking for anyone else, as you have shown your apathy and disdain if it does not bring the chance for you to be a "hero".
Southern Virginia

Falls Church, VA

#19 Jan 24, 2010
doright wrote:
If you are a true "searcher" than you should hold yourself to a higher standard and accountability. Not to mention, keep your personal views personal. How do your fellow searchers feel abut you voicing your personal insight about the search and voicing your personal opinions of wasting time?
I deem those actions unprofessional. You should be ashamed and don't bother looking for anyone else, as you have shown your apathy and disdain if it does not bring the chance for you to be a "hero".
your entitled to your opinion and ill let you have that, but theres one thing i must correct you on, i could care less about being a hero.
Close Friend

AOL

#20 Jan 24, 2010
Southern Virginia wrote:
<quoted text>
your entitled to your opinion and ill let you have that, but theres one thing i must correct you on, i could care less about being a hero.
You could care less about being a hero? That's like a heart surgeon not caring about saving someone's life. A hero is someone that renews the hope in those that have been hurt, and in your profession, that would mean finding someone with the SINCERE desire in finding them for the sake of the family and friends, and ultimately, for the missing person so they can be reminded of the many people that care about him or her. So what if you know more than what the news has told the public? It's having an open mind to the information that you have been given, not the amount of knowledge that you have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dinwiddie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Are Petersburg Students so darn Stupid, wor... (Oct '12) Jan 21 Silent Echo 42
Thanks to Sgt. Jan 16 New Woman 5
Flyers put on windshields should be banned !!! (Sep '09) Jan 11 Silent Echo 23
Two Dead and Two Hospitalized After Multiple Sh... Jan 5 Silent Echo 1
Ceremony honors marks left by WWI Dec '14 Woodrow 1
Dinwiddie County Sheriff's race (Nov '11) Dec '14 Just Saying 132
Review: Speedy Cars Inc (Apr '14) Dec '14 happywithspeedy 3
Dinwiddie Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Dinwiddie People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance