Court Rescheduled for Scottsville Man Charged With Death of Dog - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA ...

A Scottsville man who faces felony charges for the death of a hunting dog appeared in court Thursday morning, but now his case has been rescheduled. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
property rights

Orange, VA

#1 Dec 20, 2012
There is so much more to this than is being reported. People that run dogs frequently damage property. They will use wire cutters to cut fences so the dogs and hunters can pass. Funny when you ask them how the fence was cut they never know, but its even more ironic when you see them carrying wire cutters. The laws protecting this activity are old and outdated. Common sense needs to step up to the plate.
bitmixer

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Dec 20, 2012
I hate to see an animal killed for any reason. I say shoot the hunters instead. Thats exactly what will happen if they come on my property without my persmission. The law is old and antiquated and upheld by good old boys who just want to kill something for now good reason excep to say "mine is bigger."
Wise One

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Dec 20, 2012
property rights wrote:
There is so much more to this than is being reported. People that run dogs frequently damage property. They will use wire cutters to cut fences so the dogs and hunters can pass. Funny when you ask them how the fence was cut they never know, but its even more ironic when you see them carrying wire cutters. The laws protecting this activity are old and outdated. Common sense needs to step up to the plate.
How dumm are you. Dogs goes under a fence and a person can either go over it or in betwen. It goes to show how much you know about hunting. I think you just want to say something but don't say anything. Just saying so leave the hunting up to the hunters and you stay in your little house with your head hung down.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Dec 20, 2012
I actually support Mullins, not because of his actions but because the laws in place are stupid. If a dog enters my property without permission regardless of whether or not it is on a hunt, it could pose a risk to the well-being of myself and my kids or any of my loved ones (grandma and grandpa, etc.) Second, it allows hunters to basically send dogs onto other people's properly legally because who can prove that hunters did or did not guide their dogs there, and if it was anything or anyone else, it would be criminal trepass.
Squid25

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Dec 20, 2012
The only one blameless here is the dog, and he's dead. Dumb ol' beagles just want up on the sofa and have their bellies rubbed. I don't want strays on my property, but you can usually just shoo 'em away with a broom. You don't hafta kill 'em.
Wise One

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Dec 20, 2012
thinking free wrote:
I actually support Mullins, not because of his actions but because the laws in place are stupid. If a dog enters my property without permission regardless of whether or not it is on a hunt, it could pose a risk to the well-being of myself and my kids or any of my loved ones (grandma and grandpa, etc.) Second, it allows hunters to basically send dogs onto other people's properly legally because who can prove that hunters did or did not guide their dogs there, and if it was anything or anyone else, it would be criminal trepass.
Then why don'y you kill the DEERS that are giving drivers a fit by hitting cars. I wish one would hit your car and then I bet you will wish to get them killed so if a deer or bear cross your land do you kill them. I bet not because words is cheap and action means you got to do work and shooting at something that causes harm is out of your hands but killing a dog is ok then give back the money that ones have been fined for theart dogs bad. If I was a dog and I knew where you lived I would come by and bite you on the leg and use the bahroom on the cut. a lot of people eat the kill and everyone is wondering why is it a shortage of deer meat to eat. WELL IT'S PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO IS HURTING MORE THEN DOING GOOD. Think on this and get your guns out because here they come. maybe not today but they will be there so stay at home keep on I out for them and loose your job and KILL KILL KILL. Then you can also be CALLED DOG KILLER.
Wise One

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Dec 20, 2012
thinking free wrote:
I actually support Mullins, not because of his actions but because the laws in place are stupid. If a dog enters my property without permission regardless of whether or not it is on a hunt, it could pose a risk to the well-being of myself and my kids or any of my loved ones (grandma and grandpa, etc.) Second, it allows hunters to basically send dogs onto other people's properly legally because who can prove that hunters did or did not guide their dogs there, and if it was anything or anyone else, it would be criminal trepass.
You are just a shame because you don't have the guts to go hunting. Maybe a bear or a deer will attack your family and then who you going to call? The dogs are coming so start killing and be called a HUNTING DOG KILLER and we will see you behind bars. Good luck with your killing and keep on eye out because here they come DUMM. By the way I'm not a hunter but I'm glad they are killing the deers so people can have something to eat and keep them from hitting my cars.
Gru

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Dec 20, 2012
We have had problems with and our neighbors have lost several calves over the years as a result of careless hunters & their dogs. The proof is in the tracks in the mud around the carcasses! Yes, fences have been cut by hunters on ATVs who are too lazy to climb over and walk. I'm not going to kill someone else's animal (unless it's to protect MY animals on MY property), but if I catch your dog on my property, I'm definitely going to hold it and call the dog warden. Then we'll have a talk with the lawyers over you paying to fix my fences. If they have these hunting dogs, they SHOULD have then under some sort of control. REAL hunters should NOT need an entire PACK of dogs with which to hunt, either. They should be made to take better care of them. I've seen some hunting dogs in HORRID condition.
property rights

Orange, VA

#10 Dec 20, 2012
Wise One wrote:
<quoted text>
How dumm are you. Dogs goes under a fence and a person can either go over it or in betwen. It goes to show how much you know about hunting. I think you just want to say something but don't say anything. Just saying so leave the hunting up to the hunters and you stay in your little house with your head hung down.
I don't know what dumm is but do you mean dumb? That's rich. Anyhow, I have seen it. Not all of the hunters running dogs are fit enough to "hop over" anything much less a 4 ft tall fence. I've seen it, and the operate willfully disregarding the law and property rights of others. I believe they represent a minority of the people who are hunting, but as usual in cases such as this their mark is felt by all. And I don't really care about your evaluation, but I have been hunting over 30 years in different Countries. Now, try picking up a book so know one thinks you are dumm.
Sarg

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Dec 20, 2012
Under Virginia law, hunters are allowed to enter private property to retrieve their hunting dogs--but only AFTER contacting the property owner, or at least attempting to.Also, they (the hunters) are responsible for any and all damage caused by their dogs, to humans, property, pets, or livestock.(Albemarle County "leash law" notwithstanding.) It would be well for your reporter to know this.
Curious

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Dec 20, 2012
Wise One wrote:
<quoted text>
You are just a shame because you don't have the guts to go hunting. Maybe a bear or a deer will attack your family and then who you going to call? The dogs are coming so start killing and be called a HUNTING DOG KILLER and we will see you behind bars. Good luck with your killing and keep on eye out because here they come DUMM. By the way I'm not a hunter but I'm glad they are killing the deers so people can have something to eat and keep them from hitting my cars.
"wise one" you are truly anything but! Spend just a lil more time with books...trust me, you need it.
Judgement

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Dec 20, 2012
Sarg wrote:
Under Virginia law, hunters are allowed to enter private property to retrieve their hunting dogs--but only AFTER contacting the property owner, or at least attempting to.Also, they (the hunters) are responsible for any and all damage caused by their dogs, to humans, property, pets, or livestock.(Albemarle County "leash law" notwithstanding.) It would be well for your reporter to know this.
Hunter must also enter your property on foot and unarmed (NO GUNS, NO ATV'S OR VEHICLE)
Rivanna River Wanderer

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Dec 20, 2012
No need to kill the dog.

They respond well to a 30 caliber ball bearing from a wrist rocket slingshot at least as well as the forty ounce fraternity does when they use people's backyards as a toilet.
Judgement

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Dec 20, 2012
I am sure there was a good reason Mr. Mullins did what he did, he probably had got to the point where he had enough. I have been tempted to shoot a few dogs in the past few years. Only didn't because some of the dog owner will burn your barn or house down.
I am an avid hunter, have been for 30+ years. Virginia Law needs to clarify what an "organized Hunt" is. Letting your dogs out onto posted property and driving to the other side of the property and shooting deer when they come into the field or as they cross the road, is not an "organized hunt". I have had hunting dogs spook horses and cause them to run through fences and get injured, chase calves through the field. THIS IS NOT HUNTING!
Judgement

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Dec 20, 2012
A good GPS tracking collar is worth approx $200-300 dollars. Take the dogs to the SPCA, the hunter will have to pay a fee to get their dog back if they want the collar. The dog gets a check-up, food and water.
huh

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Dec 20, 2012
How dumm??? um i bet he knows how to spell dumb! I wonder how many of those gun toters are actually convicted felons who aren't allowed to tote guns!! Hunting with dogs is stupid. Be a real hunter - chase your prey and kill it with your hands!
Wise One wrote:
<quoted text>
How dumm are you. Dogs goes under a fence and a person can either go over it or in betwen. It goes to show how much you know about hunting. I think you just want to say something but don't say anything. Just saying so leave the hunting up to the hunters and you stay in your little house with your head hung down.
Local

Bethpage, NY

#19 Dec 20, 2012
I believe that the responsibility lies primarily on the owner of the dog.

Dogs don't know what property boundaries are nor how to respect them. It's not the dog's fault.

However, I don't see the validity in shooting a dog that's not a threat to humans or livestock.

Property damage is, and should be the responsibility of the dog owner as well, but there's a burden of proof that must go along with it if the owner claims it wasn't HIS dog.

My neighbor's dogs (not hunting dogs) wander onto my property constantly and get into my outdoor garbage cans, dragging the garbage all over the place.

Now, I just make it harder for them to get to it and haven't had a problem since. They still come onto my property and I will run them off if I see them, but not with a firearm and have never once considered shooting them since they're not aggressive.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Dec 20, 2012
Local wrote:
Dogs don't know what property boundaries are nor how to respect them.
nor do their owners
Free

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Dec 20, 2012
tell your local officals to stop using dogs in a hunt. Enough people complaining will soon be heard.
Local

Bethpage, NY

#22 Dec 20, 2012
huck wrote:
<quoted text>
nor do their owners
Good point, but I don't think that applies to ALL dog owners.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dillwyn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
latasha scott Oct 13 camwoods 1
Sandra Bowles Johnson Sep 24 mandy 1
Pat Robertson Calls for a "Revolution" - cuz - ... Aug '14 Big Mess 1
Scottsville Man Arrested for Homicide, Child Abuse Aug '14 test 1
Jason Emmons Aug '14 Love Me 1
Farmville Music Thread (May '12) Jul '14 Musikologist 13
UPDATED: Sheriff's Office Investigating Disappe... Jul '14 Robin Floyd 1
Dillwyn Dating
Find my Match

Dillwyn Jobs

Dillwyn People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Dillwyn News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Dillwyn

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]