N.D. higher ed board calls for dumpin...

N.D. higher ed board calls for dumping UND nickname, logo

There are 92 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 14, 2009, titled N.D. higher ed board calls for dumping UND nickname, logo. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

North Dakota's Board of Higher Education has agreed to drop the University of North Dakota's Fighting Sioux nickname and Indian head logo, a move intended to resolve a decades-long campus dispute about whether the name demeans American Indians.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Hockey Bob

Saint Paul, MN

#1 May 14, 2009
What an effing joke. This PC crap is sickening. Guess I had better buy that Fighting Sioux souvenir puck before they change the logo to a fluffy bunny or something equally non-threatening. Welcome to the Age of Obama, folks!
Bob

Minneapolis, MN

#2 May 14, 2009
What a crock of the product that comes out of a horse's rearend!
The Sioux name has always been used as a sign of honor and respect.
This is political correctness taken to an extreme. The tribes that oppose use of the Sioux name and logo do so simply because they want to receive some type of financial benefit from the name's use. Where's the cavalry when we really need it?
The UND president and board either had their testicles cut off or are chemically castrated.
Bob

Minneapolis, MN

#3 May 14, 2009
Hockey Bob wrote:
What an effing joke. This PC crap is sickening. Guess I had better buy that Fighting Sioux souvenir puck before they change the logo to a fluffy bunny or something equally non-threatening. Welcome to the Age of Obama, folks!
You like to blame Obama for everything. Is he also responsible for you're being so friggin' stupid?
wifm

Minneapolis, MN

#4 May 14, 2009
I think their new nickname should be Chicken or Bullshit. In either case you have a group of whiners making the decison for the masses. The political correctness balloon should have been burst by now. Lets remove all names of lakes and towns in ND, SD and MN because its abusing the name of indians.
Fishing_guy

Saint Paul, MN

#5 May 14, 2009
windy plains??? slugs??? What a joke!!!
wifm

Minneapolis, MN

#6 May 14, 2009
I think Bob means the new liberal leaning segment of our population who feels America needs to apologize for everthing. Lets see, we saved the world several times with great sacrifice and are the biggest volunteers and donors to causes in the world but somehow it and Capitalism is bad. I sure see all the masses trying to get into the USSR and China. When they wake up it will be to late. The destruction of society begins with the simple elements of language and customs. we have been to affluent and it has rotted the average citizens mind and ability to understand their own culture and background. OUr forefathers must be rolling over in their graves. Oh mY I digress to far.
back room deal

Minneapolis, MN

#7 May 14, 2009
hear is the rest of the story. A couple members of the NCAA board have a stiffy for the UND president "Upchuck". So shortly after he took over at UND the NCAA board started this PC push to eliminate all Indian nicknames unless you happen to one of their cash cows (Florida Seminoles) Then as Bob alluded to faction inside tribes saw an opportunity to shake down the school again. They didn't feel that they got their ring kissed so they pushed the issue and here we are. The school is going to drop the name something that the vast majority of students and fans took great pride in and felt that we were honoring the people who gave the name it's rep. But that's lost now and it's really their loss and a quick trip to being a footnote in history. Can you name the three affiliated tribes of ND?
Norske

Minneapolis, MN

#8 May 14, 2009
Screw the tribe and the NCAA!
let's change the name to the Fighting Norske.(not the Vikings cause UND actually wins)The school could finally have a mascot, it could have a war hammer and the fans could do a war hammer chop you know kind of like the Braves did years ago. I'm sure the Son's of Norway would support the idea, this would get around the NCAA rules since the ethnic group would support the name. Then the most important part the school needs to be honest with it's self and cut out all of the "special' programs that have been created to appease the tribes over the years, since there no use continuing to bribe someone that votes against them.
Two Dogs Humping

Saint Paul, MN

#9 May 14, 2009
What a shame. The University is proud of the Sioux name and treated it with incredible respect.
Arrogant American

Lakeville, MN

#10 May 14, 2009
If only this niokname and logo hadn't been used for the last 80 years, these tribes might be much better off today. Using a native American as a mascot is hateful and abusive--no matter how it's disguised in respect. Now that this insensitive expression of hatred are being retired, at least these tribes will have a chance. These tribes have been shamed long enough.

And let's not excuse the hateful cities of Sioux Falls, SD and Sioux City, IA. The racists in these cities should be forced to change their names, as well. These names bring disgrace to The Great Sioux Nation.
LGA Larry

Minneapolis, MN

#11 May 14, 2009
how are they going to remove the 20,000 Sioux logos all over the inside of their arena?
Mad Viking

Minneapolis, MN

#12 May 14, 2009
Vell wile ve ar at it, da name Minnesoota Vikings is ""hostile and abusive" to us dumb Scandahooviens! Vhen da Vikings play, I go ovr to Snoose Blvd and et some herring to sooth da pain.

Excuse me for not being politically correct, but it would be nice if the Native Americans and their PC allies who are whining about the Fighting Sioux name and similar topics would mature into responsible adults. As a Scandinavian American I, like my parents and my grandparents (who came from Sweden and Norway) have always enjoyed the Ole and Lena jokes, Hagar the Horrible strips, the Jimmy Jensen, Stan Boreson/Doug Setterberg, and Slim Jim and the Vagabond Kid recordings, and the moniker "dumb Swede". To our native American friends, lighten up and learn to laugh.
Scruffy

Campus, IL

#13 May 14, 2009
Arrogant American wrote:
If only this niokname and logo hadn't been used for the last 80 years, these tribes might be much better off today. Using a native American as a mascot is hateful and abusive--no matter how it's disguised in respect. Now that this insensitive expression of hatred are being retired, at least these tribes will have a chance. These tribes have been shamed long enough.
And let's not excuse the hateful cities of Sioux Falls, SD and Sioux City, IA. The racists in these cities should be forced to change their names, as well. These names bring disgrace to The Great Sioux Nation.
How many times did you have to hold back your laughter while typing this? It is hilarious!
class of 2000

Minneapolis, MN

#14 May 14, 2009
LGA Larry wrote:
how are they going to remove the 20,000 Sioux logos all over the inside of their arena?
I had the chance to meet Ralph when the area was being planned this was not an accident
Mad Viking

Minneapolis, MN

#15 May 14, 2009
Norske wrote:
Screw the tribe and the NCAA!
let's change the name to the Fighting Norske.(not the Vikings cause UND actually wins)The school could finally have a mascot, it could have a war hammer and the fans could do a war hammer chop you know kind of like the Braves did years ago. I'm sure the Son's of Norway would support the idea, this would get around the NCAA rules since the ethnic group would support the name. Then the most important part the school needs to be honest with it's self and cut out all of the "special' programs that have been created to appease the tribes over the years, since there no use continuing to bribe someone that votes against them.
That is really a great suggestion! The name sure fits the traditional areas that students came from!
Steve

Cabin John, MD

#16 May 14, 2009
Prepare to bull doze the Ralph because he will take his arena back. Then you can call your team what ever you want on sheet of frozen Red river. Maybe the Sioux could build an arena for the University, don't hold your breath on that one.
Fighting Irish

Plymouth, MN

#17 May 14, 2009
Does this mean Notre Dame has to change their name too? Who would have to complain for that to happen?
David

Hobbs, NM

#18 May 14, 2009
NCAA saying something is "hostile and abusive"?
What the hell do you call the BCA???
So, what is wrong with having a logo featuring the logo of a people who are proud and will never give up the fight?
Seems there are a lot more thing to worry about here.

Since: Jul 08

Saint Paul, MN

#19 May 14, 2009
Change it to the FIGHTING IRISH! Wait thats taken already and no one complains ,why?

“Who, me?”

Since: Jun 08

Amery

#20 May 14, 2009
I'm of Norwegian heritage. I can trace my ancestry back to the old Norse raiders.

I demand the Minnesota football team stop offending me by using the name Vikings.

Also, my wife is a yard dwelling rodent and objects to the term "Golden Gophers".

Appease my wishes, or I'll complain to someone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dickinson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sex trafficking (Aug '17) May 20 Joey 2
Review: New England Patriots Feb '18 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in North Dako... (Oct '10) Oct '17 Julia 26
News Getting Educated or Getting Schooled? Divergent... (Sep '17) Sep '17 Valerie 1
South Heart Music Thread (May '12) Aug '17 Musikologist 17
OpenOffice (Jun '11) Mar '17 Adana 2
rumors on legend auto body (Aug '07) Feb '17 James J 33

Dickinson Jobs

Personal Finance

Dickinson Mortgages