Walnut council, residents oppose prop...

Walnut council, residents oppose proposed NFL stadium

There are 155 comments on the San Gabriel Valley Tribune story from Sep 26, 2008, titled Walnut council, residents oppose proposed NFL stadium. In it, San Gabriel Valley Tribune reports that:

The City Council voted 4-0 Wednesday to oppose a proposed NFL stadium in neighboring Industry.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Gabriel Valley Tribune.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Mike C

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#1 Sep 26, 2008
Good for Walnut! They stood up for themselves.
Now I think Roski should do everything in his power to ensure Walnut has no burden or gain from the stadium. Not a single dollar of revenue should be generated to improve the city.
No gas sold in Walnut, no parking in Walnut, not a single car goes near a Walnut business.
They shouldn't share in any success of the stadium.
Gary

Chesterfield, MO

#2 Sep 26, 2008
have fun with the sufficating huge development coming your way Walnut! You voting no greenlights the first proposal, have fun with that.

Funny thing is Walnut has no say.....LOL!
COMMON SENSE

Claremont, CA

#3 Sep 26, 2008
Walnut city council does not deal in the real world. They let a few people dictate what they want. Not that it matters in this case. Roski will get his stadium and Walnut residents will wonder why they let a select few control all of Walnut. Property values will increase with all the high paid people moving to the area. Crime will not increase. Seriously people of Walnut, GET REAL. In this economy the added 6,000 jobs will help the surrounding cities. I don't see Diamond Bar making a big fuss. Atleast Diamond Bar functions on facts, not emotions. If for any reason Roski does not get an NFL team to move here,(which I doubt seriously that will happen) Walnut city council and the select few deserve the tremendous amount of traffic that the mega shopping complex will bring.
Gary

Chesterfield, MO

#4 Sep 26, 2008
Can someone show me one example where one these new wave of new stadiums across the country have had anything but a positve affect on it's surrounding areas. It's been quite the opposite. Look at Staples Center. Boy that area is sure worse off than before Staples was built there.
sickandtired

Covina, CA

#5 Sep 26, 2008
I agree with Mike C.
Mike C

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#6 Sep 26, 2008
Gary wrote:
Can someone show me one example where one these new wave of new stadiums across the country have had anything but a positve affect on it's surrounding areas. It's been quite the opposite. Look at Staples Center. Boy that area is sure worse off than before Staples was built there.
Gary,

You are not clear. Are you saying the stadium will have a negative effect?

Mike C
Gary

Chesterfield, MO

#7 Sep 26, 2008
Mike C wrote:
<quoted text>
Gary,
You are not clear. Are you saying the stadium will have a negative effect?
Mike C
No! Opposite!
Walnut Resident

United States

#8 Sep 26, 2008
I actually like the idea of this stadium near our community. I could go to a professional sporting event and only have a short drive. Great. Maybe they will offer special discounts for the locals. My only worry is Grand is already over-congested when I'm trying to cross the freeway into Diamond Bar, so the developers should make the stadium only accessible via freeway access. Bring back the Rams.
Big Mike

Temecula, CA

#9 Sep 26, 2008
I bet the Walnut business association or chamber would not vote against it. Anyway, I'm sure Diamond Bar will vote yes, they have an appetite for destruction. They want to destroy the natural lands around that area (Currently owned by Shell Oil)and create 10 times the traffic a stadium would.

And please dont bring back the Raiders here, all we need is more gangters.
COMMON SENSE

Winchester, CA

#10 Sep 26, 2008
Walnut Resident wrote:
I actually like the idea of this stadium near our community. I could go to a professional sporting event and only have a short drive. Great. Maybe they will offer special discounts for the locals. My only worry is Grand is already over-congested when I'm trying to cross the freeway into Diamond Bar, so the developers should make the stadium only accessible via freeway access. Bring back the Rams.
The parking will be handled like Disneyland. The same builder that built the Disneyland parking structure will be building the NFL parking structure. Traffic will be handled just like Disneyland. Direct access off the freeway into the parking area. It was all explained by Roski's builder at the meeting a week ago last Wed.
Rudeee

Redlands, CA

#11 Sep 26, 2008
Well,,, I have been around this area for a long time... and, Walnut has ALWAYS said NO to everything that suggests progress. They finally consented to the corner businesses on Grand and Valley... mainly
because if they said no,,, they would be built in City of Industry... So its not surprising that Walnut wants to remain in the the 20th century. Not much action there...cant get a coctail anyplace in Walnut.. want a beer? go to the pizza parlor. Even a steak is tough to find there. Why would this sleepy little town ok a big NFL stadium.. lets have a steakhouse first!!!
By the way,, those "natural lands" will some day be homes! Take your pick...Its all dirt anyway... no foilage at all. Still dont think Walnut has anything to worry about...doubt a team will come here...
JPL1979

Englewood, CO

#12 Sep 26, 2008
Isn't it premature for them to against it since they asked for a 30 extension to review the EIR?
NFL Stadium

Winchester, CA

#13 Sep 26, 2008
The stadium will only have 25 days of major events and 25 days of minor events a year. Not alot of football. Why all the noise over traffic. In return we will have alot of entertainment, shopping, jobs, office buildings. THE STADIUM IS NOT BEING BUILT IN WALNUT. Walnut residents act like it's being built in the middle of town.
tango

California City, CA

#14 Sep 26, 2008
(I live in Walnut)

RUDEE is right, Walnut always says no to anything progressive, People didn't want those stores and restaurants at SNOW CREEK, what happened, they got built.

They 1st said yes to the Golf Course and Restauraunt off AMAR and LEMON, then just settled for MILLION DOLLAR HOMES UP THERE.

Who can afford to live up there anyways?

We have empty store fronts and businesses close up, like the "JUST TIRES" that JUST CLOSED UP. I THINK IT WAS ONLY THERE 1 OR 2 YEARS.

If we are smart we would build a Hotel and Restaurant on some empty property on Valley Blvd.
Lauren

AOL

#15 Sep 26, 2008
the proposed location off grand is ridiculous; there's already enough traffic from mt sac, and you wanna pile on thousands and thousands of sports fans on top of that?
Mike C

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#16 Sep 26, 2008
Lauren wrote:
the proposed location off grand is ridiculous; there's already enough traffic from mt sac, and you wanna pile on thousands and thousands of sports fans on top of that?
Lauren,

Well of course they are going go leave the exits and roads exactly as they are. They would never consider improving the flow off the freeway and traffic patterns going to the stadium.

Gee Lauren, thank you for noting that fact, I am sure the planners, who do have the education and experience with this issue would never have known it without your input.

Another NIMBY who sees things as they are rather than what they could be. No vision.

Mike
Rudeee

Redlands, CA

#17 Sep 26, 2008
Besides, Lauren,, the NFL games are on Sunday..
MSAC has no classes on Sundays...
I got an idea,,,, since the stadium is not going to
be in Walnut.. lets not ask them what they think!
Actually... if you go to the proposed site.. its closer to Diamond Bar than Walnut...
DB game for just about anything!
If not a stadium, build something useful! But please,,,,,, no more homes!!!!

Since: May 08

AOL

#18 Sep 26, 2008
....And, let's not forget, the basic average between home and road games for every NFL franchise is 8 home games, 8 road games. Which means that, there will only be 8 games played that the poor city of Walnut will have to deal with 4 of the 12 months of the year! awwww my broken heart! NOT!!

I say, to hell with Walnut, bring on the stadium!!!
Halk Shaw

United States

#19 Sep 26, 2008
The fact is this will bring 100 of millions of dollars in each year. This will help all the area around it. Property values or going to drop at least another 50% property taxes are no longer going to be able to fund the Cities they will have to look for other revenue streams. The Auto Club speed way of California when they have their races the fill all the hotels for 50 milies in all direction the business around the speedway in several cities all report sales increase. The City of Walnut needs to look at how the could get revenue streams out of this. Were looking at a serious rise in unemployment as are State becomes less business friendly and the job market is drying up. The new jobs the people will not be able to buy our homes. The stadium will offer some above average jobs it will be a great selling point for home sales in Walnut as people want to live close. Many people will fly in for the games they have to have a place to stay this could be the biggest thing that ever happen to Walnut it depends on how you handle it.
tango

California City, CA

#20 Sep 26, 2008
Hey lauren and others concerned, there are other ways of getting to DIAMOND BAR from Mt Sac, WALNUT, besides GRAND AVE.

TAKE TEMPLE TO DIAMOND BAR BL TURN RIGHT, ORRRR,

TAKE TEMPLE TO 57 SOUTH TO PATHFINDER, ORRRRR,

TAKE LEMON TO GOLDEN SPRINGS ORRRRRRRR,

WHEN THEY FINISH BREA CANYON BL TO GOLDEN SPRINGS

GRAND isn't the only lifeline to DB

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diamond Bar Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Animal control program raises residents' hackle... (Nov '09) Mar '17 Ted Trent 41
News Judge orders murder trial for seven in teen's s... (Sep '10) Mar '17 Ssk 41
News Pomona Police Seek Man Following Pot Factory Bust (Apr '07) Dec '16 Lmf 21
News Diamond Bar couple fatally stabbed inside their... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Dee Merk 1
News Pomona approves ordinance to deal with loud, un... (Nov '09) Oct '16 Bobbie N 33
News Montebello police officer accused of DUI in Walnut (May '15) Jun '16 Subject to nothing 9
affordable loan offer (Oct '13) May '16 James310 2

Diamond Bar Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Diamond Bar Mortgages