Remembering the Blizzard of 1979

Posted in the Dexter Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Back When

Edwardsville, IL

#1 Sep 15, 2010
I lived in Wilson Trailer court and I was ten years old and it was thundering and lightning and the next day my dad had to climb out a bedroom window to get the snow off the porch to open up the front door.
chase

Dexter, MO

#2 Sep 15, 2010
Man !! family just moved outside of town and we were snowed in for three days. Only got out then because my dad knew some body on the township road crew and paid them 50 bucks to plow out our road early. Remember driving in to school and town on grant road and it was a valley with snow 12-15 feet high on each side of the road..
Wrong year

Malden, MO

#3 Sep 15, 2010
The year of the blizzard was 1978.
SMOKEY

Malden, MO

#4 Sep 16, 2010
Wrong year wrote:
It was 1979.... I moved here in September 78 and it happened in early 79.
Brad

Eureka Springs, AR

#5 Sep 16, 2010
Feb 25th, 1979 to be exact.
Dexter Dad

Delphi, IN

#6 Sep 16, 2010
The Blizzard was in 1979 and if you thought it was rough here, I should tell you some stories of what it was like in Northwest Michigan during this Blizzard.

Snow Drifts averaging well over 200ft. long and ranging from 6-15ft deep. Even after the roads were plowed, the edges of the streets in some areas were 15-20ft high. We had radio Broadcasts warning that people will be ticketed and even taken to jail if caught out on the roads(It put rescuers at risk if you got into an accident)if it was not an emergency. We had to come out our second story door on our house(one that was specifically there in case the snow was to deep to come out the 1st story door. It was cold, Blowing and Cold....Did I mention that it was COOOLLDDD!!!!

Yeah, Feb of 1979 will be a storm to remember.

kurt

Hialeah, FL

#7 Nov 9, 2010
The Blizzard of '78 was a nor' easter that blew in off the Atltic in February and nailed Nova Scotia, all of New England, as far inland as Buffalo nad as farsouth as South Carolina leaving a foot of snow there, I was in Avon Mass when it hit and we got 6 feet of snow in eight hours.The Blizzard of '79 was a conrinental storm that came down off the Great lakes and hit as far south as northern Florida.

Since: Aug 08

Dexter, MO

#8 Nov 11, 2010
February 1979 - the snow drifted and completely covered up my car!!!
a horse with no name

Dexter, MO

#9 Nov 12, 2010
when the snow finally started melting bunch of the gravel roads started caving in sometimes took a bigger tractor to pull another tractor out that was trying to pull a truck out.I walked 5 miles just to get to town to store to get a pack of cigs now that is crazy. The people that lived thru it will never forget it couldn't even find your vehicles ,get your doors open etc. especially if lived out in the country in the wide open spaces where the wind drifted the snow like crazy those were the good ole days in a crazy kind of way I could Not even find my horse I forgot its name oh ya it was no name
Dapper Dan

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Nov 12, 2010
Perhaps it got lost while you were riding it through the desert?
a horse with no name

Dexter, MO

#11 Nov 12, 2010
how did you know that is where I found it lol & I had to walk much farther than 5 miles to get to the darn desert but I luved that no name. I sure wouldn't walk a mile for a camel them are some nasty smokes or animals whatever you chose to call um,hell they all are
Dapper Dan

Saint Louis, MO

#12 Nov 12, 2010
Well, I figured maybe you were trying to get out of the rain.
a horse with no name

Dexter, MO

#13 Nov 13, 2010
good suggestion on a day like today lol I have CRS can't remember shet,what was name of that band?
gggg

Dexter, MO

#14 Nov 13, 2010
I remember the blizzard very well. I was in the heating-air conditioning business. A customer had just got out of the hospital the day before and their electric furnace wouldn't work. I couldn't get my van out of the driveway, so I had to walk about 1 mile to his house. It took me 1 1/2 hours each way. I charged him my usual $30 service call. He died a few weeks later, so I still feel good about making the effort to help keep him warm.
Brad

Shell Knob, MO

#15 Nov 13, 2010
A horse with no name, America!
a horse with no name

Dexter, MO

#16 Nov 13, 2010
thank you, Brad time to go to the tube & listen to America
Brad

United States

#17 Nov 13, 2010
That was when music was good, I can't listen to this stuff now, maybe cause I'm 50
a horse with no name

Dexter, MO

#18 Nov 13, 2010
I'm 50 also Brad & that music was real,Not the crazy rap crap ggggrrr they have out today & hip hop.I still listen to music from back in the good old days,there are plenty of 80's & some 70's music on Youtube that is quite good quality listening.
Bartho

Cape Girardeau, MO

#19 Nov 14, 2010
Dexter Dad wrote:
The Blizzard was in 1979 and if you thought it was rough here, I should tell you some stories of what it was like in Northwest Michigan during this Blizzard.
Snow Drifts averaging well over 200ft. long and ranging from 6-15ft deep. Even after the roads were plowed, the edges of the streets in some areas were 15-20ft high. We had radio Broadcasts warning that people will be ticketed and even taken to jail if caught out on the roads(It put rescuers at risk if you got into an accident)if it was not an emergency. We had to come out our second story door on our house(one that was specifically there in case the snow was to deep to come out the 1st story door. It was cold, Blowing and Cold....Did I mention that it was COOOLLDDD!!!!
Yeah, Feb of 1979 will be a storm to remember.
Well who gives a rats ass about Michigan. You people are supposed to have snow and crap. We are supposed to have light dustings.Thanks for telling your story.
One time, when I was at band camp..........
Harland

AOL

#20 Nov 25, 2010
Wrong year wrote:
----nope 1979

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dexter Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I am Muslim where can I find a girl? 10 hr Politically Incor... 15
Michael coffer?? Anyone know him (Jan '15) 19 hr Kinda 4
What happened to the thead about Sat Red 5
Dexter cops Fri billygoat gruff 21
Ww woods Fri amy 20
jennifer mcdowell (Sep '14) Thu Amanda 25
Jennifer McDowell is a liar Thu Statingfacts 1

Dexter Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance