First Prev
of 13
Next Last
Bride-To-Be

Dexter, MO

#1 Mar 13, 2008
I've been reading in some of these threads people mentioning "The Boogie Woods". Does anyone have any good stories about them? I've heard a few things like someone being killed in the old church and about people being hung, but not any actual stories. Anyone have any?

“Articulate Smartass”

Since: Dec 07

Hometown Banking Lender

#2 Mar 13, 2008
No one to my knowledge has ever been killed in the "old church",which is still an active little congregation. I also haven't heard of any hanging,but I only know the history from the Civil War to present.
There have been a few murders,and if you'll go to the thread "Haunted Places",you can find lot's more.
justspeakingthet ruth

Fairmont, WV

#3 Mar 15, 2008
the big story about the woods is that there is an active KKK house out there where they meet still. and the story is a girl was raped out there a long time ago and her spirit still haunts the place. but also there is a civil war cemetery.

“Articulate Smartass”

Hometown Banking Lender

#4 Mar 15, 2008
Linda Johnson was raped in the South Pleasant Valley churchyard in 1978,but murdered and left across the road in the Boogie woods. Her "spirit" I doubt hangs out there,maybe in the woods where she actually died. She was my friend and she is buried at Essex Cemetery,I hope she haunts William Dale Abel's cell,her killer.I have heard a few of her classmates say they "feel her presence" in the Essex Cemetery,that's too creepy a place for me to go at night!
The KKK used to meet in the quarry area,but they are pretty secretive,and the neo-Nazi movement which took over the KKK pretty much turned off many who simply hated blacks and others. Many of the Dexter KKK were also WW2 vets,and they hate Nazi's worse than blacks or Mexicans,Jews,etc. Don't mean to sound rascist,it's just the facts.
The Civil War Cemetery is actually by the Bloomfield cemetery,only a few civil war veterans are buried at Triplett Cemetery but there is the ghost of the WW1 soldier who "creeps" up behind people as he guards his family cemetery (he was a Triplett).
Although there is a walking path in the Boogie Woods,I'd take a bunch of people with me,no I'm kidding,there would have to be a least a million dollars tax-free involved to get me in there!
Blair Witch Project,anybody?
justspeakingthet ruth

Fairmont, WV

#5 Mar 15, 2008
haha thats true but ive walked it with some friends. its only scary if you make it scary. just something for us kids to do when we're bored.
wondering

United States

#6 Mar 15, 2008
so is she realy at the essex cemetery or are you just kidding i have family laid to rest there where is she located at in the cemetery...please let me know
Graver

Kennett, MO

#7 Mar 16, 2008
wondering wrote:
so is she realy at the essex cemetery or are you just kidding i have family laid to rest there where is she located at in the cemetery...please let me know
Yes she is buried in Essex Cemetery. There is a memorial for her with a picture of the grave on Findagrave too.
kpdjse

Kennett, MO

#8 Mar 16, 2008
I'm from Dexter but now live in Kennett. I have been out there many many times and I have heard all the ghost stories...the Boogie Woods is just a place where kids could go to just to get away from cruising the strip and have little parties until law enforcement showed up. It's a LOT different now than what it use to be. It's much safer!

“Articulate Smartass”

Hometown Banking Lender

#9 Mar 16, 2008
wondering wrote:
I went to her funeral/burial back in 1978,I'm pretty sure that was the year,seems like we were in the middle of the cemetery.We for sure went to the Essex Cemetery!She had been reported missing,her car was left on at the junction of FF/60 at Essex,that's where the animal kidnapped her from,at gunpoint.Seems like it was a week or more before Abel confessed and led cops to her body in the woods.
My husband says he remembers her having either a white or pink casket,I was so upset at the thought of her laying out in those woods,so scared with that animal Wmn.Dale Abel chasing her after kidnapping her at gunpoint,it was such a waste of a young life. It was really hot,the end of summer either August or early September,because we wore sundresses to her funeral. Her poor parents were so tore up,it was just unbearable,the kids from Essex were wailing.She had just graduated from high school,having a great summer,sad,sad,sad.
justspeakingthet ruth

Fairmont, WV

#10 Mar 16, 2008
yeah i would say its alittle safer but i do believe stuff could still happen and no one would know about it. especially if you go way back into the woods.

“Articulate Smartass”

Hometown Banking Lender

#11 Mar 16, 2008
My hubby says it was colder, I wore a jacket over my dress,guess the old timers is wrecking one of our memories! I am sure it was Essex though,and we went out looking for her after she was reported missing,that he concurs with.
I doubt those woods are safer,what with the meth heads,snakes,spiders and animals on two legs-take a bunch if you go in the woods,and stay on the MDC trail! I am too old and way too scaredy-cat to ever go in them,unless tax-free cash is on the line.
Be careful,kids!
justspeakingthet ruth

Fairmont, WV

#12 Mar 16, 2008
thats true but i wouldnt advise going on the trail in the dark. i went during the daylight and it was still scary and very hard to follow the trail not to mention i came out of there with at least a million ticks on me. i would never do that again.
wondering

United States

#13 Mar 16, 2008
does she talk to you when you go visit her grave or can you feel her there or is this just a rumor. i would like to know and the place in the boggie woods how do you get there
Graver

Kennett, MO

#14 Mar 16, 2008
wondering wrote:
does she talk to you when you go visit her grave or can you feel her there or is this just a rumor. i would like to know and the place in the boggie woods how do you get there
I didn't hear her say anything. If you go to Essex Cemetery take the second road to the right leading into the cemetery. You will have to get out of your car and walk in order to find Linda's grave because she has a small stone that is flat on the ground. Just walk down the road and look at the ground to your right. You will have to look close or you will miss it.
wondering

United States

#15 Mar 17, 2008
is she haunting people or just a certain thing or what does she do ...do you ever go talk to her ...how come she just dont rest in peace..is her killer still free or did he do time and just got out recently...or what..something has to be bothering her if you can feel her presence

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#16 Mar 17, 2008
If I remember correctly Ables was released from prison back in the '90's, but raped another woman in St. Louis while he was out. He was senteneced to life in prison because of it. He's still there as far as I know.
little miss

United States

#17 Mar 17, 2008
When I was a teenager, James Pullum used to take me to this church so we could "park" without getting disturbed,ya know. There wasn't much traffic thru there at all at night. I wasn't aware of these stories. Boy if we would've seen or heard something, we probably would've shit down our bare legs!!!!!!!!!!If only I knew then what I know now.

“Articulate Smartass”

Hometown Banking Lender

#18 Mar 17, 2008
Graver wrote:
If I remember correctly Ables was released from prison back in the '90's, but raped another woman in St. Louis while he was out. He was senteneced to life in prison because of it. He's still there as far as I know.
Yep,the parole board "claimed" they sent Linda a letter,but the Essex Cemetery didn't have a forwarding address. That goes to show you how careful they are about reading case files,he's a little guy,so I guess they thought he was harmless. Pretty scary,he didn't have to register as a sex offender,since he wasn't charged with rape,who else have they released?.
He was bigger than Linda,and the same size as Charles Manson.
The story goes...He was released from prison,then he came back to Dexter,where his family is,(also Jasper, Alabama) and was there for about two weeks until some of Linda's friends recognized him and told him if he let the sun set on his back in Dexter they would bring her Dad over to chat with him. He hightailed it up to Hillsboro,where he kidnapped and attempted to rape and kill another woman at knifepoint from a gas station,but she escaped.
William Dale Abel was questioned in other rapes and murders in other places,we were told when Linda died,but this was before DNA,etc.We always thought Linda was the only one he got caught with,and the lady from Hillsboro was the only one who escaped.
You can check the MDOC website,and he was still in prison last time I looked,hope he confesses all before he dies or goes crazy.

“Articulate Smartass”

Hometown Banking Lender

#19 Mar 17, 2008
wondering wrote:
is she haunting people or just a certain thing or what does she do ...do you ever go talk to her ...how come she just dont rest in peace..is her killer still free or did he do time and just got out recently...or what..something has to be bothering her if you can feel her presence
If you want to be creeped out,go to that Essex Cemetery in the late afternoon.We went there a few times, I never saw Linda,but there sure was something weird at the very north end,the older part of the cemetery. My hubby saw it too,so it's just not an old woman's ramblings,we swore we saw "someone",maybe kids running between the graves,but of course when we walked down there,nobody was there. It gave me a chill,and with the open fields all around,no one could have gotten past us!
I never question what others say they felt or saw after that. I just never "felt" Linda,and I knew her since she was little.
Now,a lot of people claim 3:00 am is the dead time,but I'm never awake on purpose at that time.
Triplett Cemetery is so absolutely quiet,anytime,especially where the WW1 soldier's grave is at the top of the hill,my sibling's and I did "feel" a presence,but we scared ourselves I'm sure and ran screaming down to our folks.That's when I discovered the cactus,as I tripped and rolled on it-ouch! It hurts to think about it.Hey,maybe he pushed me,since I didn't believe,never thought about it until now...:)
kpdjse

Kennett, MO

#21 Mar 18, 2008
ya'll would believe everything you hear about the boogie woods. come on get a life

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dexter Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Muscular blonde at ww 2 hr WW woods 1
Bulling of school employe 6 hr Guest 1
Red car 7 hr Chillin villin 2
Guy travelling w/ horses and wagon (Mar '10) 23 hr rrt 12
Where is Chuck Stephens? (Dec '16) Sun LOL 11
I am Muslim where can I find a girl? Sun Sense 17
Robin girl Sun billygoat gruff 29

Dexter Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance