DFS,CHILD SERVICES, Whatever you call...

DFS,CHILD SERVICES, Whatever you call it.

Posted in the Dexter Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Agreed

Dexter, MO

#1 Dec 2, 2013
There is no system ever devised by mankind that is guaranteed to rip husband and wife or father, mother and child apart so bitterly than our present Family Court System.

"Judge Brian Lindsay, Retired Supreme Court Judge New York, New York."

I agree with this man, do you?
Jason

Hudson, WI

#2 Dec 2, 2013
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/virg...

Please read this article. I agree that our system frequently makes mistakes, but it's not so black-and-white. If not for child protective services, who would protect abused and neglected children? What changes would you suggest?
Bob

Portageville, MO

#3 Dec 2, 2013
Jason wrote:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new s/national/virginia-girl-found -eating-cage-mobile-home-artic le-1.140154
Please read this article. I agree that our system frequently makes mistakes, but it's not so black-and-white. If not for child protective services, who would protect abused and neglected children? What changes would you suggest?
A lot of people... that's the answer. The problem with DFS is the lack of transparency, all in the interest of protecting the children. You can do a lot of evil hiding behind that particular cloak. Hitler did it "for the children." Every crooked politician that ever ran did so on a platform of doing it "for the children." And people keep buying that same crap over and over again.
Jason

Hudson, WI

#4 Dec 2, 2013
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
A lot of people... that's the answer. The problem with DFS is the lack of transparency, all in the interest of protecting the children. You can do a lot of evil hiding behind that particular cloak. Hitler did it "for the children." Every crooked politician that ever ran did so on a platform of doing it "for the children." And people keep buying that same crap over and over again.
OK. Where were "a lot of people" when this girl was being kept in a cage? Where were they when I was abused as a child? Many bad people use a veil of good to hide their evil deeds. Some people even use God as their excuse. What point are you trying to make?
Bob

Portageville, MO

#5 Dec 2, 2013
Jason wrote:
<quoted text>
OK. Where were "a lot of people" when this girl was being kept in a cage? Where were they when I was abused as a child? Many bad people use a veil of good to hide their evil deeds. Some people even use God as their excuse. What point are you trying to make?
DFS helped you when you were a child? They sure didn't help me. I was sent from home to home where I was told at various locations that my parents didn't love me. I was beaten and raped more than once. All of these things I told the social workers and they didn't even do anything about it. I wasn't abused at home... I was pulled out of my home because a neighbor was messing with my sister. Had nothing to do with my folks at all. Sound kinda far fetched? That kind of crap happens all the time.

I'm sure there's some good that comes out of DFS. Heck, a lot of our medical advances come from torturous experiments Nazi doctors performed on Jews. Does that make the experiments right? Do a few good outcomes make all the evil that was done suddenly okay?
The list

Dexter, MO

#6 Dec 3, 2013
Jason wrote:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new s/national/virginia-girl-found -eating-cage-mobile-home-artic le-1.140154
Okay you asked what changes I think should be made? Here is my list in no particular order of importance.

1: I think they need to stop hiring these young 20 something year olds who have no damn idea how hard raising kids and taking care of a family really is.

2: Case workers need to be given sensitivity training at least once a year maybe once every two years to learn how to help families instead of judging them.

3: There needs to be surprise tag alongs from accomplished professionals in this chosen feild at least once per year to see how case workers and families are getting along and to offer advice and assistance when needed.( this can help both the family and the caseworker )

4: Stop hiring people who have no kids or who have NEVER worked with kids. Must have at least 3 years prior experience working with kids ( Daycare, Teacher, etc..)

5: No less than 4 years of college just to work in the children's division, 5 if you will be investigating abuse allegations in a families home.

6: Once every year ( maybe every two or three ) each worker needs to see a certified psychologist or psychiatrist not based in the same community to determine if you are emotionally able to handle each case in a professional manner.

7: Stop allowing case workers to demean parents and make them feel like crap just because they don't have their house EXACTLY like you would your own.

8: STOP LYING! Families do not fall for it when you claim to have the exact same amount of kids they do and you never have a dirty house and your kids are such angels they never get in trouble so you never discipline them. NOBODY FALLS FOR THAT SO STOP SAYING IT.

9: This is a big one. If you get several calls alleging abuse and neglect on the same family and every time you investigate you determine it was false and is a waste of your time, stop going over and terrifying the kids by making them think they are getting took and start asking why the same people keep making hotline calls on a family that is NOT doing anything wrong.
Jason

Hudson, WI

#7 Dec 3, 2013
The list wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay you asked what changes I think should be made? Here is my list in no particular order of importance.
1: I think they need to stop hiring these young 20 something year olds who have no damn idea how hard raising kids and taking care of a family really is.
2: Case workers need to be given sensitivity training at least once a year maybe once every two years to learn how to help families instead of judging them.
3: There needs to be surprise tag alongs from accomplished professionals in this chosen feild at least once per year to see how case workers and families are getting along and to offer advice and assistance when needed.( this can help both the family and the caseworker )
4: Stop hiring people who have no kids or who have NEVER worked with kids. Must have at least 3 years prior experience working with kids ( Daycare, Teacher, etc..)
5: No less than 4 years of college just to work in the children's division, 5 if you will be investigating abuse allegations in a families home.
6: Once every year ( maybe every two or three ) each worker needs to see a certified psychologist or psychiatrist not based in the same community to determine if you are emotionally able to handle each case in a professional manner.
7: Stop allowing case workers to demean parents and make them feel like crap just because they don't have their house EXACTLY like you would your own.
8: STOP LYING! Families do not fall for it when you claim to have the exact same amount of kids they do and you never have a dirty house and your kids are such angels they never get in trouble so you never discipline them. NOBODY FALLS FOR THAT SO STOP SAYING IT.
9: This is a big one. If you get several calls alleging abuse and neglect on the same family and every time you investigate you determine it was false and is a waste of your time, stop going over and terrifying the kids by making them think they are getting took and start asking why the same people keep making hotline calls on a family that is NOT doing anything wrong.
That's what I was looking for. I agree 100% I just wanted to hear solutions instead of complaints. Now, how does one go about making these changes and when do you plan to begin?

Bob, I'm really sorry to hear about your experiences. Maybe I was the exception to what generally occurs but when I was abused, I asked to be removed and was placed with a loving family who I still consider MY family 15 years later. Maybe it would be helpful if you did some work with families and hopefully prevent this from happening to someone else. Volunteer somewhere or something. Be the change you want to see in the world rather than just complaining about it.

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#8 Dec 12, 2013
I agree that Family Services here are unusually judgmental. This comes not just from my experiences with them- such as being hotlined for my child getting a black eye from horseplaying with another child- but from things I've heard from ex Stoddard County caseworkers.

I've heard stories that make you want to pull out your hair. They're trained to make sort of a sales pitch convincing you to sign papers that keep them in your life for a minimum of 6 months.

Believe it or not, there's simply not that many true cases of abuse in this county. Imagine the caseworkers from here going through the homes of children in the ghetto in North St. Louis. Would a single family have their kids?

So with few true cases of abuse, they just make judgments on people based on their financial means, appearance, lifestyle, etc. A caseworker not taking a number of children each month is looked at like a cop who gives no traffic tickets. So in Stoddard County they take kids for parents getting caught with a joint, for having a messy house, whatever.
Knowledge- getyasum

Dexter, MO

#9 Dec 13, 2013
I'm not gonna get into whether or not removals are justified. DFS caseworkers have NOTHING to do with kids being removed. DFS is only the agency in charge of care for the kids after they have been removed. The Juvenile Officer makes the decision to remove.
her mommy

Toledo, OH

#10 Dec 13, 2013
Dfs the juvenile division and the judge are all in it together. If a caseworker makes the recommendation the juvenile officer follows it with a recommendation to the judge who follows it. Mine were taken from me for failure to protect from domestic violence. Even when I MOVED and got far away from him they refused to give me my daughter back. My family got my boys but my x refused to agree to let them get my daughter. In the same breath pretty much the judge told me they just wanted to make sure something like this never happened again, so I left and came to the only place I had... home to arkansas, THEN they ordered me to move BACK with my abuser!! I refused and still did everything they wanted then the foster mother who got attached to my daughter and from day one referred to her self as mommy started cancelling and rescheduling my visits and documenting that I failed to show. I told my worker and juvenile officer and they never did anything about it. They moved for adoption saying that I abandoned my daughter. I would buy her clothes and toys and during a meeting one day saw them in the confrence room! My baby never got them!! My drug addict ex that beat me agreed to the adoption and him and his needle addict gf get weekend visits with my daughter. The gf has told me my daughter loves her and knows her more than me. My baby has 2 older brothers that she loved and isnt allowed to see simply bc I fought for her. DFS, juvenile, the judge and PATRICIA RINEY are the deranged people that used the legal system to legally kidnap my baby.
got change

Dexter, MO

#11 Dec 13, 2013
guest wrote:
I agree that Family Services here are unusually judgmental. This comes not just from my experiences with them- such as being hotlined for my child getting a black eye from horseplaying with another child- but from things I've heard from ex Stoddard County caseworkers.
I've heard stories that make you want to pull out your hair. They're trained to make sort of a sales pitch convincing you to sign papers that keep them in your life for a minimum of 6 months.
Believe it or not, there's simply not that many true cases of abuse in this county. Imagine the caseworkers from here going through the homes of children in the ghetto in North St. Louis. Would a single family have their kids?
So with few true cases of abuse, they just make judgments on people based on their financial means, appearance, lifestyle, etc. A caseworker not taking a number of children each month is looked at like a cop who gives no traffic tickets. So in Stoddard County they take kids for parents getting caught with a joint, for having a messy house, whatever.
this is the most true statement ever wrote on topix it should be on the front page of every paper in the nation but it wont be its like we all close our eyes to facts as long as it does not involve me the goverment is trying to take control of lives in every way from health care to our kids to our way of life sure there is a time to help a child but dfs will take every chance they get to take that child just on a PHONE CALL no this is wrong and something needs to be done NOW one answer would be to stop these radom phone callers would be if the vist from DFS turned out to be a false report the person who called would be checked in the same way the false reports would stop just saying the truth
Perry Mason

Denver, CO

#12 Dec 13, 2013
Agreed wrote:
There is no system ever devised by mankind that is guaranteed to rip husband and wife or father, mother and child apart so bitterly than our present Family Court System.
"Judge Brian Lindsay, Retired Supreme Court Judge New York, New York."
I agree with this man, do you?
They will do what you let them do.

A good lawyer away from the stinch is always the best first move. far away.

Many are poor and give up but they have a way, where theres a will theres a way.

I'd go down fighting.

Since: Dec 13

Location hidden

#13 Dec 15, 2013
Knowledge- getyasum wrote:
I'm not gonna get into whether or not removals are justified. DFS caseworkers have NOTHING to do with kids being removed. DFS is only the agency in charge of care for the kids after they have been removed. The Juvenile Officer makes the decision to remove.
DFS are the ones that enter your home, look around, talk to your kids privately ( if they are old enough to talk ) then walk out the door with your kids and leave you standing there in tears feeling helpless. Yes they have EVERYTHING to do with the removal of the kids.

Kennett, MO

#14 Dec 18, 2013
The list wrote:
<quoted text>

This is a good one. Here's what so scary about it: rather than say, "Hey, we've had 5 false alarms and spent 30 man hours on this case due to this family being harassed... Perhaps we should think about looking at who's making all the hotline calls rather than this family" they go after people harder if they've been reported in the past.
mother

Reeds Spring, MO

#15 Dec 18, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a good one. Here's what so scary about it: rather than say, "Hey, we've had 5 false alarms and spent 30 man hours on this case due to this family being harassed... Perhaps we should think about looking at who's making all the hotline calls rather than this family" they go after people harder if they've been reported in the past.
Missouri state law says that when a person makes TWO unsubstantiated calls they can be charged. But heres the problem Stoddard county opens cases for BS reasons. You put in a call, you are almost guaranteed dfs is going to open a case. I actually had a call made on me, the call was UNSUBSTANTIATED. and they STILL opened a case. for "preventative purposes" wtf? the case worker even told me she didn't even know why she was there as she was not providing my family with ANY services and that she felt like she should be out helping a family where lets say there was drugs involved or the what not. I told her I felt like I was being harrassed and she said flat up YOU ARE. TRUE story. THIS is STODDARD COUNTY DFS>
Miss Duh

Poplar Bluff, MO

#16 Dec 19, 2013
mother wrote:
<quoted text>Missouri state law says that when a person makes TWO unsubstantiated calls they can be charged. But heres the problem Stoddard county opens cases for BS reasons. You put in a call, you are almost guaranteed dfs is going to open a case. I actually had a call made on me, the call was UNSUBSTANTIATED. and they STILL opened a case. for "preventative purposes" wtf? the case worker even told me she didn't even know why she was there as she was not providing my family with ANY services and that she felt like she should be out helping a family where lets say there was drugs involved or the what not. I told her I felt like I was being harrassed and she said flat up YOU ARE. TRUE story. THIS is STODDARD COUNTY DFS>
Missouri law does not say that. It is a popular myth but I know the law pertaining to child abuse and neglect. Quote the law where it says this before you expect people to believe it

Since: Jul 11

Dexter

#17 Dec 19, 2013
The list wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, that's way too much common sense and accountability for a government agency to handle.
mother

Reeds Spring, MO

#18 Dec 19, 2013
http://www.dss.mo.gov/cd/info/cwmanual/sectio... Sorry I was incorrect they can press charges after only ONE unsubstantiated call. This is straight of out dfs's manual.
mother

Reeds Spring, MO

#19 Dec 19, 2013
This is the EXACT statute. http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C200-299/2100... ONE unsubstantiated call is all it takes.
Miss Duh

Poplar Bluff, MO

#20 Dec 20, 2013
mother wrote:
This is the EXACT statute. http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C200-299/2100... ONE unsubstantiated call is all it takes.

That is right! Only one, and there has to be evidence that the person who called made the call for the sole purpose of harassment. The tough part is getting the prosecutor to touch it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dexter Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clay 5 hr Curious 7
Mark King 5 hr Big Dog 19
rance 9 hr knightrider 5
Old bottle 10 hr Hunting 2
What we really think... 15 hr Cammie 19
Poll What does the business Speciality Products do? (Oct '08) 18 hr Twhite305 58
Searching for murals from R.C.Eagle (Apr '08) Tue happy 7

Dexter Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dexter Mortgages