Does Dexter Needs Rent House Laws

Posted in the Dexter Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Need Help

Festus, MO

#1 Jul 8, 2008
I have lived in several cities not much bigger than dexter that had rules regarding the conditions of rent property. My air conditioner has not worked for two weeks and all the city says I can due is sue my landlord in court. By the time that goes to court we wont even need air conditining!
Why donít the city has rules to make these landlords live up to their end? The rent I pay includes air conditioning but I donít have any.
Quinton

Fredericktown, MO

#2 Jul 10, 2008
I agree something must be done. I have seen landlords in Dexter try to take advantage of my Aunt and Grandma who share a rent house. Who know what would have happend if I had not talke to the landlord. There roof was leaking and tried to tell them he could not afford to fix it until next year! Without help like many out there they would have just taken this abuse.
none the wiser

Kennett, MO

#3 Jul 11, 2008
Need Help wrote:
I have lived in several cities not much bigger than dexter that had rules regarding the conditions of rent property. My air conditioner has not worked for two weeks and all the city says I can due is sue my landlord in court. By the time that goes to court we wont even need air conditining!
Why donít the city has rules to make these landlords live up to their end? The rent I pay includes air conditioning but I donít have any.
sugestion---dont pay u rent and save it for deposit on another place, he can not legaly kick you out for 90 days--that is enouph time for you to save for deposit on another place--let him take you to court for back rent--let him pay court cost and let him pay for his lost time--is it worth it to him??? fight back, dont let landlords take advatage of you!!! there are plenty of places to rent in dexter---
none the wiser

Kennett, MO

#4 Jul 11, 2008
Quinton wrote:
I agree something must be done. I have seen landlords in Dexter try to take advantage of my Aunt and Grandma who share a rent house. Who know what would have happend if I had not talke to the landlord. There roof was leaking and tried to tell them he could not afford to fix it until next year! Without help like many out there they would have just taken this abuse.
if you dont like the land lords than look for something else---dont pay the rent and seee where that will get you, or see of that will get thngs done--call kfvs12 on the SOB!!!
Need Help

Festus, MO

#5 Jul 16, 2008
I finally found some help but I need some of you all to. A friend took me to talk to Kirby Tayler he is a council man in dexter. he said he has been trying to get more rules for rent houses for a long time. He said that another one of them Gary Couter has been with him but the rest don't want to change. Now 2 more of them have been talking his way latley and that is enough to change the law to make the landlord fix problems or get fined from the city. He told me that a big turn out or letters might make this happen fast. Anybody that can be at the citycouncil meeting on August 4 at 7:oo. If you cant be there write a letter with the problems you have with your house and trying to get the landlord to fix it and leave it at the city hall before then. He says if they other 2 get on this they can make it cheaper for the landlord to take care of problems cause they would have to spend money on fines anyway.

Hmmm

Columbia, MO

#6 Jul 16, 2008
There was another Alderman who was working with Kirby Taylor to get those laws passed, but when he proposed them the remark was made that it would cause the landlords to raise their rent. Then the landlords got together and started working to get him off the council. Kirby Taylor might want to watch his back on this one.

Some of the "slum lords" to watch out for?

Donnie Hovis
Mike Batchelor
Jason Comfort
Lottie McMullin
Larry Watkins

And this is just a small list of the ones who opposed the law that the former Alderman was proposing.
Guest624

Festus, MO

#7 Jul 16, 2008
My sister and her husband rent a house in town and the owner is slow to fix things but so far is ok. but he pressured them to put up a poltcal sign in there yard is that legal?
Need Help wrote:
I finally found some help but I need some of you all to. A friend took me to talk to Kirby Tayler he is a council man in dexter. he said he has been trying to get more rules for rent houses for a long time. He said that another one of them Gary Couter has been with him but the rest don't want to change. Now 2 more of them have been talking his way latley and that is enough to change the law to make the landlord fix problems or get fined from the city. He told me that a big turn out or letters might make this happen fast. Anybody that can be at the citycouncil meeting on August 4 at 7:oo. If you cant be there write a letter with the problems you have with your house and trying to get the landlord to fix it and leave it at the city hall before then. He says if they other 2 get on this they can make it cheaper for the landlord to take care of problems cause they would have to spend money on fines anyway.
Curious

Florissant, MO

#8 Jul 16, 2008
I think it depends on how much pressure you mean.

Was there any implied threat to raise the rent, make them move, not fix something? If any of those are true you need to call the county clerks office in Bloomfield as soon as possible. Or call the newspaper.
Guest624 wrote:
My sister and her husband rent a house in town and the owner is slow to fix things but so far is ok. but he pressured them to put up a poltcal sign in there yard is that legal?
<quoted text>
Fair Justice

Florissant, MO

#9 Jul 16, 2008
They can also report this to city hall in town, just ask for the city administrator. This type of issue can be serious, do not hesitate to report it, even if they decide to move there are people interested only in justice who will help you with moving expenses too if threats or implied threats were made.
Curious wrote:
I think it depends on how much pressure you mean.
Was there any implied threat to raise the rent, make them move, not fix something? If any of those are true you need to call the county clerks office in Bloomfield as soon as possible. Or call the newspaper.
<quoted text>
Looking for Justice

Festus, MO

#10 Jul 16, 2008
As others have said, I do not think it is legal. Please call City Hall and ask for the City Administrator tomorrow if at all possible. The number is 6.2.4 - 5.9.5.9 (the dots are the only way phone numbers show up).

You have no reason to fear, this will not be tolerated and if it is who some of us suspect, I have already verified a group who will individually contribute money to help you/them move if you feel uncomfortable staying in your current house. As you should understand by now, we are very interested in Justice being served!

It is possible you will hear from him with threats or even bribes to stay quite. Do the right thing and you will not regret it! If you decide to move, it will not cost you a dime within the city, we will pay all expenses including deposits, etc... If your charges are true and you will sign off on it, you will have made some very influential friends I can promise you that! What you say he has done is at the very least unethical and if not illegal we still need some information from you for a report.
Guest624 wrote:
<quoted text>

United States

#11 Jul 17, 2008
My neighbor told me samething about his landlord just telling him to put up a campagn sign. The sign is bright yellow I can get the name off it and let you know if it matters.
Harold

United States

#12 Jul 17, 2008
Would this really be illegal? Sounds more like the renter just needs to stand up for himself.
guest wrote:
My neighbor told me samething about his landlord just telling him to put up a campagn sign. The sign is bright yellow I can get the name off it and let you know if it matters.
Interesting

Englewood, CO

#13 Jul 17, 2008
Harold wrote:
Would this really be illegal? Sounds more like the renter just needs to stand up for himself.
<quoted text>
Your right, Probably not illegal. But his employer might find it disturbing. I think we can just let sleeping dogs lie, if he can?
happygoluckyin BIG D

Carmi, IL

#14 Jul 17, 2008
The people who bought all the apartments in town are slumlords too. Heaven forbid you move because you cannot get your deposit back. Even if it is in better shape then when you moved in! Stits and Gibbs both are ones NOT TO RENT FROM!
LANDLORD

Traverse City, MI

#15 Jul 17, 2008
WHERE ARE THE LAWS FOR THE GOOD LANDLORDS. WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THEY LEAVE 3 CATS IN THE HOUSE WITH NO LITTER BOX AND THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO HAVE ANIMALS. YOU HAVE TO GET A WINDOW SCRAPER TO SCRAP SCUM OFF THE TUB THAT THEY NEVER CLEANED IN 2 YEARS. 2 BIRDS DEAD IN CAGE IN KITCHEN BEEN THER AT LEAST TWO WEEKS-MOVED OUT AND LEFT 15 BAGS OF TRASH- ONE HOUSE HAD THE GARAGE STCKED TO THE CEILING LEFT FOR US TO GET RID OF- KNOCKED HOLES IN THE WALL -TEAR THE DOORS OFF THE HINGES= THIS IS JUST TOUCHING ON A FEW THINGS. DISABLED PEOPLE CAN NOT BE GARNISHED DO YOU THINK THAT IS FAIR?? BREAK WINDOWS OUT COST 120 DOLLARS TO FIX. WE HAVE A GREAT GROUP OF RENTERS MOST OF THE TIME BUT THERE ARE ALWAYS THE BAD ONES. BUT THE LAW FOR US IS VERY BAD ALSO MAYBE WE NEED LAWS FOR BOTH RENTER AND LANDLORD. AS FOR THE PERSON THAT TOLD YOU DO NOT PAY RENT YOU HAVE 90 DAYS NOT TRUE LOOK UP YOUR LAWS. THAT WILL ONLY CAUSE YOU MORE GRIEF. I SUGGEST YOU START LOOKING FOR A GOOD LANDLORD- DO LIKE WE DO TAKE THE LOSS AND CHECK THE LANDLORDS REFERENCES ASK PEOPLE ABOUT THEM THAT IS HOW I DO ON MY CLIENTS AND THEN I STILL GET BURNT. SORRY THEY ARE DOING YOU THAT WAY. WE TRY REALL Y HARD TO KEEP OUR HOUSES FIXED DECENT. I WANT THEM TO LIVE IN A HOUSE THAT WOULD BE GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME TO LIVE IN. MY ADVICE WOULD BE TO MOVE. FIND A GOOD LANDLORD. NO ONE IS PERFECT BUT WE TRY. I WISH YOU NOTHING BUT GOOD. SIGNED A GOOD LANDLORD
not a renter or landlord

Saint Louis, MO

#16 Aug 2, 2008
most landlords wont to keep the houses nice for all, however there is renters that no matter how nice the house is will trash it out, will not keep grass cut, trash pick up out of yard and so on. what should the landords do then. they wont pay rent(so that they can save up for other house) and then destroy the house, which cost the landlord more money to put back together for the next renter to trash out. just becouse they have rent houses is the same reason we all go to work(most of us anyway) to provide a good life for there familly.
BUY

Traverse City, MI

#17 Aug 2, 2008
Hmmm wrote:
There was another Alderman who was working with Kirby Taylor to get those laws passed, but when he proposed them the remark was made that it would cause the landlords to raise their rent. Then the landlords got together and started working to get him off the council. Kirby Taylor might want to watch his back on this one.
Donnie Hovis
Mike Batchelor
Jason Comfort
Lottie McMullin
Larry Watkins
And this is just a small list of the ones who opposed the law that the former Alderman was proposing.
Teresa Reynolds needs to be added. She and her husband Don are just a step above. Being "overly priced duplex lords"
johnny

Fenton, MO

#18 Aug 3, 2008
Need Help wrote:
move out if u dont like it,nobody is making u stay. maybe u can buy your own house and take care of the a.c.. oh let me guess, your credit sucks

Since: Jul 08

DEXTER MO

#19 Aug 3, 2008
Hmmm wrote:
Donnie Hovis
Mike Batchelor
Jason Comfort
Lottie McMullin
Larry Watkins
I totally agree with you on the list of "slum Lords" aspecially LARRY WATKINS and you can add GLEN HOLT to that list too!

We went with out heat for two weeks this past winter and I have 3 kids! Also without plumbing and a toiet for 3 days! He says he doesnt work on his renal property like he should becasue he wants out!
Dexter Landlord

Saint Louis, MO

#20 Oct 22, 2008
Hmmm wrote:
Donnie Hovis
Mike Batchelor
Jason Comfort
Lottie McMullin
Larry Watkins
You know why these landlords do not keep up their proberties..........because of all the DEADBEAT renters and the laws that PROTECT them. For the last 10 years I have rented nice homes and kept them up. We have a maintenance man on call 24/7. What do we get? Renters that don't pay and tear your properties up.$400 deposits......thats nothing compared to the cost of having to redo them to rent again. Right now I am in the process of remodeling 2 rental homes that were completed destroyed! The cost of one is now topping over $2000.00. It cost $900.00 just to replace the carpet and it was new when the renter moved in.(Lived there for 6 months) My carpet in my home is 18 years old and still looks good. Go Figure. Our contracts say NO pets but they have them anyway! People I am talking every door in the house had a fist put through them and the dogs chewed holes all in the carpets. Filthy dirty messes! OK now do you get it. It cost me more money to fix the place then I received in rent!! This happens alot. Now you can go to court and win judegement but the courts do nothing else. It is up to the landlord to collect so why go to court?? Just out more money. I hope I can hang in there. Seems like it is getting worse these days. But I guess when I get fed up, you can add me to your list. Because why remodel and be out all that money when then next one that moves in does the same thing. Believe me I live it everyday. By the way where is all the GOOD renters gone to? Have 2 nice homes for rent now. Just to let you know its not slum lords it is slum renters that makes them the way they are. You get tired of cleaning up everyones messes and who ever started this, I would love to have you as a renter if you pay your RENT prompt and keep a nice house! Hey and if you have time would you help me clean up the messes and get first hand knowledge on the crap landlords have to put up with??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dexter Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Favortisim in Siblings 2 hr The Man 7
Any hiking trails in the boogie woods? 5 hr THE Boogie Man 7
McDonald's 5 hr Remembers 21
Gary joe 6 hr Bobby 1
best looking at tyson (Feb '12) 13 hr Joker 104
Whos the best looking maintenaince man at Tyson? (Jul '11) 13 hr Joker 21
Mrs Piggy 22 hr PlotTwist 2

Dexter Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance