Low pay drives Florida Highway Patrol troopers to the exits -- ...

Longtime Florida Highway Patrol troopers continue to leave the agency in droves for higher-paying jobs as police officers, deputy sheriffs and even federal air marshals. Full Story
First Prev
of 12
Next Last
the same all over

United States

#1 Aug 28, 2007
it's the same all over. take Seminole County as an example. Training officers routinely train new hires making MORE than they, the seasoned officers, make. great, just great.
Escambia County

Pensacola, FL

#3 Aug 28, 2007
The one issue that I think needs to be addressed is the training academy. I know Deputies and Officers who would not mind joining FHP if not for the 9 week transisitional academy. The same goes for the FWC academy. A great many officers would want to go to FWC, however, they do not want to leave their families and go through an additional 26 week training academy. If both agencies would do away with the training academies for officers that have experience it would probably help recruitment. Have a detailed FTO program in the field for traffic investigation/FHP and boating,wildlife identification/FWC. Rasing and adjusting the CAD the state pays for certain counties would not hurt either.
OneVoice3

United States

#4 Aug 28, 2007
This surprises us how? Doctors are driven out by costs and Malpractice fees, our teachers barely get paid more than a babysitter, Florida is not the best place for anyone in these fields. Look at what the administrators in these fields earn in bonuses each year. Our Officers, Teachers, Nurses and Doctors are some of the lowest paid professionals in the United States, the Administrations should be ashamed of themselves.
Orlando Homegrown

Orlando, FL

#5 Aug 28, 2007
Starting pay is almost $700 a week! And they are whining about not getting enough money. Check around and see what the average starting pay is for the greater majority of Florida's citizenry. Not to mention the type of job they have is driving a car with no speed limits to comply with, no physical labor to mention other an the occasional foot race. Then to think OPD starts out at a whopping $800 a week! Cry me a river! All we hear about is our underpayed law enforcement officers. Doesn't sound to me that they are doing too shabby! Most of these veteran cops with 10 years plus are making in excess of 55-60 grand a year.
Actually

Oviedo, FL

#6 Aug 28, 2007
Orlando Homegrown wrote:
Starting pay is almost $700 a week! And they are whining about not getting enough money. Check around and see what the average starting pay is for the greater majority of Florida's citizenry. Not to mention the type of job they have is driving a car with no speed limits to comply with, no physical labor to mention other an the occasional foot race. Then to think OPD starts out at a whopping $800 a week! Cry me a river! All we hear about is our underpayed law enforcement officers. Doesn't sound to me that they are doing too shabby! Most of these veteran cops with 10 years plus are making in excess of 55-60 grand a year.
The reality here, and I choose to live in reality, is that we are having a heck of a time keeping experienced troopers because the pay is too low. You don't have to like it, but that is reality.

I'm curious as to why you have such a low opinion of police officers. Could you do their job? I suggest you apply, so you can benefit from the outragious saleries yourself.
watcher

United States

#7 Aug 28, 2007
Hey why not let each agency get to keep the forfeiture $ they seize. I. O.P.D. gets to keep its and the Sheriff gets to keep its and thF.H.P. cab keep its. then that $ can be applied to increase in pay. Just think the turnpike is where most of the huge seizures occur from MIami up to wherever. just a thought...instead in having this $ go into some stste coffer to just be given to some politician!
mommysangels

United States

#8 Aug 28, 2007
“Orlando Homegrown wrote:
Starting pay is almost $700 a week! And they are whining about not getting enough money. Check around and see what the average starting pay is for the greater majority of Florida's citizenry. Not to mention the type of job they have is driving a car with no speed limits to comply with, no physical labor to mention other an the occasional foot race. Then to think OPD starts out at a whopping $800 a week! Cry me a river! All we hear about is our underpayed law enforcement officers. Doesn't sound to me that they are doing too shabby! Most of these veteran cops with 10 years plus are making in excess of 55-60 grand a year”
Well then you go out there every day and risk your life for 700 a week if you think it is so much that has to pay insurance, plus guess what life insurance she they have one of the most dangerous jobs,pension and then after they pay all that out they barely make 2/3 of that in a week. Florida's cost of living is rising but the pay in FL is not. Plus the tac dollars we do pay have to pay for someone sitting @ home collecting welfare driving around in a Escalade and believe me I have seen that first hand. I has a Nurse cannot make more than 35,000 a yr in less I work lots of overtime. Are you willing to give up time with your family to work OT just to make more money.Well the ones making 55-60,000 a year that is exactly what they are doing to make that much. So open mouth insert foot inless you have walked in their shoes are the dozen of families shoes that have lost their loved ones on the street because of criminals and Idiots that want to take the easy way to make a buck instead of working for it. SO besides pay everyday they make a choice to protect people like you for that 700.00 a week

Since: Aug 07

Orlando, FL

#9 Aug 28, 2007
Orlando Homegrown wrote:
I agree with you on the issue of low salaries for other jobs in the state; salaries in every field are lower than those for comparable jobs in other states. And the cost of living keeps going up; most everyone is feeling the pinch. This needs to change.

Police officers and state troopers, though, face an element of risk every day which most of the rest of us do not. They never know whether the next person they pull over could wield a gun and end their lives in a second. That element of risk justifies that they be paid decent salaries.
WTF

Clearwater, FL

#10 Aug 28, 2007
i have a college degree and i can't even find a job starting at around what FHP troopers are paying...i'm going to use this as ammunition in my next interview....
smh

United States

#11 Aug 28, 2007
Actually wrote:
<quoted text>
The reality here, and I choose to live in reality, is that we are having a heck of a time keeping experienced troopers because the pay is too low. You don't have to like it, but that is reality.
I'm curious as to why you have such a low opinion of police officers. Could you do their job? I suggest you apply, so you can benefit from the outragious saleries yourself.
Another reality is that what he said isn't far from the truth. If you're unable to live comfortably off of $7-800 a week, the you may need to rethink your priorities. I definitely have the utmost respect for LEO, but they do make plenty of money.
ntheno

Winter Park, FL

#12 Aug 28, 2007
mommysangels wrote:
SO besides pay everyday they make a choice to protect people like you for that 700.00 a week
Key word here is "choice". They choose to take the job. No one is forcing them. If they don't like they pay, then find another profession. Like the whining firefighters, many, if not most, could simply not make that kind of $$ because they don't have the skills or education.[rant on]So now we, the taxpayers, end up with a lot of cops with a bad attitude. Yes. A lot of cops today have too much attitude. Seems like the last few years cops have developed an increasing mas macho attitude. I used to be a big law enforcement booster, but no more. Local and state cops have developed quite the brown shirt mentality, especially since around 9/11.[rant off]

“Atlas Shrugs - Walks away.”

Since: Jun 07

Orlando, FL. U.S.A.

#14 Aug 28, 2007
Let me get this straight, a 13 trillion dollar economy, and 3 trillion in taxes, but the few government agents that actually affect my life in a positive way (i.e. they help to keep me alive as opposed to burying me in regulations) are fleeing in droves due to low pay?

Another angle to consider - one of the few proper jobs of the government is the sole arbiter of physical force. It is a tragedy to lose experienced and intelligent troopers because those are the ones most likely to use their power with discretion and tact, which can make all the difference in how the citizery regard their government.

They can't lower our property taxes, seem unphased by hundreds of millions in porkbarrel spending attachments, and are unwilling to ear mark appropriate funds for the most basic function of govnt'- Law Enforcement!? Yet we as a whole (voters) seem unwilling to vote the incumbents out? Is anyone willing to reconsider the logic of the two party flip side of the same evil coin winner takes all political structure that has gotten us to this stage?
antonio

AOL

#15 Aug 28, 2007
Troopers do a great. The court system works aginst them.
Troopers need to get paid what is the prevailung wage for the same job on other states. The comment about it cost x dollors to train them in not worth the type. What needs to be address is WHY they choose to stop working for the state. We have a retention problem and that is what needs to be fixed. If its the pay, fix it. We have to have troopers to protect us.
WhoWhatWhere

Casselberry, FL

#16 Aug 28, 2007
WTF wrote:
i have a college degree and i can't even find a job starting at around what FHP troopers are paying...i'm going to use this as ammunition in my next interview....
Perhaps you should have got a useful degree then.
WhoWhatWhere

Casselberry, FL

#17 Aug 28, 2007
Orlando Homegrown wrote:
Starting pay is almost $700 a week!
Ummm..no.

Take home is about $500/wk.
People HATE facts

Altamonte Springs, FL

#18 Aug 28, 2007
ntheno wrote:
<quoted text>
So now we, the taxpayers, end up with a lot of cops with a bad attitude. Yes. A lot of cops today have too much attitude.[rant off]
Kinda like the politicians we elect.

We 'demand' the best...then only offer peanuts for pay....and wonder why some go 'on the take'.

Explain to me why the state income has EXPLODED...but the important jobs don't get raises.......or more assistance through larger numbers......

Hmmmmm
Doug

United States

#19 Aug 28, 2007
watcher wrote:
Hey why not let each agency get to keep the forfeiture $ they seize. I. O.P.D. gets to keep its and the Sheriff gets to keep its and thF.H.P. cab keep its. then that $ can be applied to increase in pay. Just think the turnpike is where most of the huge seizures occur from MIami up to wherever. just a thought...instead in having this $ go into some stste coffer to just be given to some politician!
this was done in Volusia county and it led to some very dubious seizures of legitamate money the legitamate owners of the money seized had to go to court and prove it is legal and theres and thats not right. Also it was proven that racial profiling was used as SOP by the police. BAD IDEA like letting the fox gaurd the hen house.
Lake County

Saint Petersburg, FL

#20 Aug 28, 2007
OneVoice3 wrote:
This surprises us how? Doctors are driven out by costs and Malpractice fees, our teachers barely get paid more than a babysitter, Florida is not the best place for anyone in these fields. Look at what the administrators in these fields earn in bonuses each year. Our Officers, Teachers, Nurses and Doctors are some of the lowest paid professionals in the United States, the Administrations should be ashamed of themselves.
waa waa waa. think your pay is too low as a teacher or FF or LEO? good, go get a different job then. nobody forced them to be what they are. teachers are the biggest whiners of all when it comes to salary. sure, give me the summer off and work from 8 to 2 everyday, you wouldn't hear a peep out of me.
JGJ

Melbourne, FL

#23 Aug 28, 2007
WTF wrote:
You must be doing something wrong. I graduated in 2003 and I started out at $44,000. What is your degree in? The jobs are out there for the skilled and educated.
Do you have a master's degree? That, too, will up your pay. Also, start your own business. I had a business that helped me pay for undergrad and I still do it part time.
Have a great day!
Sylvester the Cat

Palm Coast, FL

#24 Aug 28, 2007
Having passed by many a bored, hot, tired, sweaty officer who got assigned to sitting at a construction site with his flashers on all day or parked under an overpass running radar, I can well understand a comical exchange I heard on my CB years back when CB's were in everyone's car and Ch 19 was the listening frequency for "road information". The voice came over the radio: "My son told me one day in confidence he was torn between wanting to me a Florida Highway Patrolman or a towel boy at the Parliament House shower room." "I cried, and reasoned with him, and I said 'Son if you become a highway patrolman, it will kill your poor Momma for sure." We heard this guy several times a week on the way to work and I know the FHP would have liked to have gotten ahold of whoever it was but it always broke up the monotony of the drive and got a lot of guffaws and laughter on the air.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Destin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 4 hr all of the real 2,486
Mcguires pub 6 hr This is not a joke 1
Out of town couple looking for swingers Wed Hott couple 1
Review: Invisidebt Solutions (Jan '13) Sep 16 no u 8
Review: Bruce Haught Disability Attorney (Apr '13) Sep 16 SSDI 5
Kids removed: Filthy home (Apr '09) Sep 16 What 438
County stays the course on backyard chicken ban Sep 10 James 8
•••
•••
•••

Destin Jobs

•••
•••