Breed-specific laws stir emotions

Breed-specific laws stir emotions

There are 5 comments on the Dallas Morning News story from Feb 23, 2007, titled Breed-specific laws stir emotions. In it, Dallas Morning News reports that:

Laura Dapkus, who owns a Garland business and brings American pit bull terrier Lucy to work, says she'll leave if the city puts controls on breeds.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dallas Morning News.

United States

#1 Feb 23, 2007
Texas has the laws to protect animals but in my experience they are not being enforced. I do believe something must be done about the cruelty to Pit bulls, so these symptoms we are experiencing are not treated like the disease. Regarding bites, theft, and confrontations pertain to the breed of Pit Bulls, these are symptoms of a disease called irresponsible pit ownership and lack of enforced laws to protect the animal.
The proposed legislation to “make pit bull owners jump through extra hoops” will only hurt the responsible Pit Bull owners not the disease of the irresponsible owner. The irresponsible owner will only be afflicted if they are already confronted by the garland police, adding to this irresponsible owners list of criminal activity. Do you think that by making owners of pits have higher fences and or buying special insurance will stop bad owner ship, bites, and confrontations? In short this legislation is only serving to find the Pit Bull guilt, of crimes that its owner committed and the lack of enforcement of the law perpetuated this disease. There is key information missing about this legislation in the news as well as Garlands city news and website.
How will this legislation be enforced when animal protection laws can not?
How many pits have been put down by the garland police (1 – 10000)?
Will this stop at one breed, or will this lay the ground work for more control of Garland citizens?
How will this stop theft of the breed?
Will it only amplify theft and unlawful ownership of the breed?
Where are the details of this legislation for all Garland citizens to read?
And lastly if you can not hold owners responsible for animal cruelty how then can you hold them responsible for this legislation?
Misty-Roze Carnell
Loving Pittbull Owner

Richardson, TX

#2 Jun 25, 2007
I so agree with the last post. There are all these laws over protecting animals. But yes, what about the pittbulls? I am a very proud owner of a pittbull and she is the best, most loving, most intellegent, most loyal pet I have ever had. She is our pride and joy! Supposably no one in Dallas is to single out one dog, and here is Garland singling out just the pittbull. I tried to adopt a baby pittbull from the Garland shelter, and they told me no, because they dont adopt out pittbulls. I was shocked! I told them with a bit of anger, he is a dang baby! And I was told no, because of what he is! This is a baby puppy! A puppy!!! Didnt even give the little guy a chance! But yet they had him out in the adoptable area! But we were still told no! Something needs to be done about this. Its going too far, I understand in a way the older dogs, maybe, if they happen to have an aggresiveness to them,( u see what I said, the older "DOGS") I never said pittbulls. But a baby! And yes, all u hear is the bad things about pittbulls, never about their owners. The pittbull is getting punished, why not the owners that brought them up to be that way? Never do u see or hear good things about good pittbulls. Or the owners who bring them up! All dogs, including the pittbull, have a heart, they breath, they hear, they sense, they feel, the love. Just like we do! So why prove them guilty, just because of their breed? STOP THE DEED, NOT THE BREED!!!

Grand Prairie, TX

#3 Jun 27, 2007
When you watch Dog Whisperer and see how he's saved many animals that had been deemed beyond hope, you realize how we've failed the dogs. It's not them; it's us. Just like you two said. But that's govt. Tends to sink to the lowest common denominator and does not serve the law-abiding citizen who uses common sense and takes responsibility. The gullible actually believe passing another effing law is going to change things, and it won't. When PEOPLE change, our world will change. It just can't be legislated. People who are a problem will continue to be a problem, and the rest of us have to put up with senseless and ineffective efforts to control them.
504 dogman

Houston, TX

#4 Dec 25, 2007
What we must realize is that the small number of bad owners cause the large number of good owners and their dogs suffer.The media only show the bad side of this breed,therefore speading the fear amoung the community.When there is a report of a pittbull attack,it is a high probability that the dog accused is in fact not a pittbull at all,but if the truth is discovered,there will be no correction.We must demand that to single out a specific breed,will sooner or later spead to the right to on a certain caliber of handgun,even a limit on our sportcar hp.

Dallas, TX

#5 Jan 4, 2008
I moved my family to Red Oak over a year ago so I could have my pitt bulls and my kids in a safe community. My dogs are good dogs, harmless dogs, that play with the kids and come with us in car rides and family trips. But the difference is, my family and our valued dogs might be made to pay for those who are irresponsible dog owners. Our dogs are trained and exercised regularly. We feed them a balanced Diet, get them their shots and checkups, we have crate trained them, we have had the one old enough fixed and the other one is in line. If I felt these dogs were a threat, I would take care of them myself. But now the community is scared of what has been termed a dangerous breed. My thoughtful and mild mannered dogs are feared because of bad pet owners. If this law is passed, we will move and petition. We will fight to the end for our dogs that we have raised well. To give in to the community is to show our children that the job we have done, the responsability we make them carry also as part of a family that has Pitts, was for nothing. That it is okay to let the bad owners control whether our dogs are to be killed in the sake of community protection. A random fear that has grown into a witch hunt permiates our communities and it must stop. I will not do buisness in my town nor live in my town shall a law like this be passed for the ignorance of the community expressed on that sad day would mean this town I wanted for my family is not in reality my town. People, the human factor, must be held accountable for the actions of their untrained dogs. We as parents are responsible for our children. A dog is a long term child that has a stricter set of rules that are permenant as they grow. The owners are the problem. The breeders are the problem. The Fear in the community that is ignorant is the problem. Statistically more people per year are killed by cows than ALL DOG realated attacks per year. Not only that, Pitt's only make up a mixed statistic with Chows, Rotts, Wolf mixes and Shepards to account for 74% of ALL dog bites. My favorite quote -
"Today, police chase down fleeing Pit bulls in the street, firing dozens of wild shots in response to media-fed rumors of supernatural Pit bull abilities. Politicians coach and nurture this fear with their own brand of rhetoric used to assist in the passing of quick and ineffective legislation created to pacify communities ignorant of the real cause for dog attacks. Hundreds of animal shelters throughout the country kill all unclaimed Pit bull-looking dogs, as they are deemed "unadoptable" solely on their physical appearance.

In a society unparalleled in its access to information and ability to control our natural environment, we now claim that we are unable to master our dogs. Unwilling to assume responsibility for the control and care of our canine companions, we instead hang entire breeds of dogs in effigy for the sins of their owners. Society now accepts this “solution to the dog bite problem” because we have been placated by a Pit Bull Placebo."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

DeSoto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Oct 3 Strike farts 989
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Oct 3 Wet farts 794
Review: Century 21 Judge Fite Duncanville Prope... (May '14) Sep 28 carol 6
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Texas (Dis... (Oct '10) Sep 17 Jim 18
Glenn Heights Water Bills- (Apr '07) Sep '15 DTX 26
NEVER Hire Attorney Ray Jackson Aug '15 Seeing Twenty Twenty 1
NEVER Hire Attorney Ray Jackson Aug '15 Seeing Twenty Twenty 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

DeSoto Mortgages