California seeks to ban free, single-use carryout bags in retail

Jun 5, 2010 Full story: Chain Store Age 5,117

New York City The California State Assembly on Wednesday narrowly approved a bill would make California the first state in the nation to ban single-use plastic and paper bags from being handed out free of charge at supermarkets, drug stores, convenience stores and liquor stores.

Full Story
Limited Government

Las Vegas, NV

#5455 May 24, 2014
tired wrote:
Why dont retailers use biodegradeable bags?
Because HEMP (Marijuana) is illegal. No farmer can risk being raided and loosing a crop for growing the raw material for degradable plastic. Hemp doesn't have the margins that Marijuana has.

There is NO legislation, shy of true capital crime laws that ends up making life better. It always limits and prevents good things from happening. 1941 a bio-degradable car was introduced, with a auto body that withstood beating with a slash hammer. How many wrecks and preventable repairs did we have since 1941. Laws make no sense and make people poor.

Because of mandatory car insurance, homeowner insurance, property tax, car licensing and smog checks you have about $300,000 less. A house would be paid off in about 8 years, and with inflation and interest the total financial damage to a reasonable and careful person is in the millions. That's why we don't retire happy at age 50.

How many more mandatory things would help you to achieve your dreams?
Last year we added 25000 Federal laws. How many more would help you to start a business? Maybe, it will get easier with minimum wage of $25. We will see. My bet it, it will not help you.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#5456 May 24, 2014
Tellit wrote:
It's the largest landfill in the world, and it floats in the middle of the ocean.
The Eastern Garbage Patch floats between Hawaii and California; scientists estimate its size as two times bigger than Texas[URL deleted]
Except you can easily see Texas from sattelite images (and touch it if you live there) but the patch can't even be seen from a ship on the ocean and it only exists as a statistical artifact.
To Hidden

Covina, CA

#5457 May 24, 2014
To Hidden take your trd locker facts somewhere else, like the middle of the ocean.
Joe

Paradise, CA

#5458 May 24, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Except you can easily see Texas from sattelite images (and touch it if you live there) but the patch can't even be seen from a ship on the ocean and it only exists as a statistical artifact.
In total, more than a million birds and marine animals die each year from consuming or becoming caught in plastic and other debris.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#5459 May 24, 2014
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
In total, more than a million birds and marine animals die each year from consuming or becoming caught in plastic and other debris.
Joe.

How many birds and marine animals die each year from being killed to feed the world's growing population? According to Wikipedia, 50 billions chickens alone are raised every year as a source of food - including their unborn babies. How do you respond to those who claim that 998,742 is the actual number of birds and marine animals that die each year from consuming or becoming caught in plastic and other debris?**(according to "official" Government statistics)**

Ronald
Isla Vista truth

Covina, CA

#5460 May 24, 2014
I like the sound of plastic all day long.
left hook

Fairfield, CA

#5462 May 24, 2014
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at 3rd world countries waterways like Haiti or Thailand. They don't even bother to throw things in the garbage, no wonder so many animals die because of pollution. How about not shipping plastic to 3rd world countries who have no concept of trashcans or sanitation before punishing the rest of us.
All pages

Covina, CA

#5463 May 24, 2014
Page 233, #5462
Get Right or Get Left

Yuba City, CA

#5464 May 26, 2014
left hook wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at 3rd world countries waterways like Haiti or Thailand. They don't even bother to throw things in the garbage, no wonder so many animals die because of pollution. How about not shipping plastic to 3rd world countries who have no concept of trashcans or sanitation before punishing the rest of us.
Ooohhh noooo... With the self loathing liberals? Everything wrong in this world has been created by the Americans, and the American way!
ESPECIALLY those ever so evil white American males!!! There is not one thing in this whole wide world worse than they are!!! And then the rich ones??? Oh Lord have mercy on those down right evil rats!!!

Self loathing Liberalism? It is a very serious, and very dangerous mental disorder!!!
Sound So

Covina, CA

#5465 May 26, 2014
Is that anything like the faster you shut up the faster you don't sound so stupid?
Robert Lockwood

Greenville, CA

#5466 May 26, 2014
The California State legislature again shows it hasn't a clue of what is good for the state.
Woodslocked up

Covina, CA

#5467 May 26, 2014
Woodslocked Up

Please reframe from speaking or inferring your more that your more than idiot posing.
Curious

Lodi, CA

#5468 May 26, 2014
I guess I missed the Tax part of the article. But what the heck they want to tax our mileage also so why would anyone be surprised. Nonetheless
It is clearly another time the liberals are interested in TAKING something from us because of course it's good for us and they know better. I agree with the commenter who state they should be educating Not Dictating. But Liberals don't like that idea, they would have to admit that yes we know how to think. In another 30 years you will have no freedom to choose in California or any other Liberal state. Now go ahead lib heads attack me. I know you can't stand the truth
Curious

Lodi, CA

#5469 May 26, 2014
Oops sorry it was supposed to say stated
Rancho Navarre

Hemet, CA

#5471 May 27, 2014
Most comments on this issue have been useless. HOW MUCH MORE WILL IT COST US?
The wealthy owners of all banking food distribution were loaning the money to their companies for the free bags.
Obgyn on the plastic

Covina, CA

#5472 May 27, 2014
Got those plastic bag I ordered yet?
Rancho Navarre

Hemet, CA

#5473 May 27, 2014
Obgyn on the plastic wrote:
Got those plastic bag I ordered yet?
You're an Obgyn, not the 1%. Wish you were funny.
Flow Tee

Covina, CA

#5474 May 27, 2014
Got anymore plastic bags I'm running out.
Rancho Navarre

Hemet, CA

#5476 May 28, 2014
I'm wearing the last one over my head ...... al - mos t there....
Nardos

Covina, CA

#5477 May 28, 2014
Got anymore plastic bags ? I'm running out today.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Desert Hot Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Elizabeth Taylor & Michael Jackson at Her Final... 2 hr Octopus 41
Tony Casas, 77; Former Prisons Official Worked ... (Sep '07) 3 hr nick 710
Touch Of Class Consignments, Cathedral City, ca. (Aug '13) 11 hr Mac 128
child molester at large in dhs Oct 22 tay 2
Review: Law Office Of Geoffrey M. Yaryan Oct 18 gmyaryan 1
Costco readies for new opening (Dec '06) Oct 15 Ramya 151
Vagos motorcycle club targeted in Southern Cali... (Mar '06) Oct 13 Orale 4,802

Desert Hot Springs Jobs

Desert Hot Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE