Eric Ziegler

Smithville, MO

#1 Mar 4, 2010
I grew up in Des Plaines (1975 Miner Street, next to Rand Park) in the mid-Fifties. I'd love to hear from anyone who might relate to this period in DP. I attended "Old North School" just before it was torn down, then "New North School."

eric_ziegler_3@hotmail.com
Eric Ziegler

Smithville, MO

#2 Mar 4, 2010
I grew up in Des Plaines in the mid-Fifties. I'd love to hear from anyone who can relate to that time frame. I lived next to Rand Park and attended "Old North School," then "New North School." I've visited DP, eaten at the Choo-Choo, and am still kind of enchanted with the town.

Virginia Turner

Atlanta, GA

#3 May 26, 2010
Good luck talking to someone from Des Plaines
Louie

Franklin Park, IL

#4 May 30, 2010
I remember the fire truck at the old Rand Park. Played there as a kid.
Des Plaines girl

Arlington Heights, IL

#5 Sep 27, 2010
I vividly remember the flood during the 50's! I was 10 yrs old and lived near Oakton & Lee. The water on the sidewalk was up to my neck. I was barefoot and everywhere I stepped all I could feel were the worms crawling under my feet. On Oakton St. near Wolf Rd. there were boxes floating all over the place from the warehouse there... forgot the name. People were boating down my street. Some man caught a big fish! I used to go to Rand Park every weekday during the summer. Took swimming and tennis lessons, plus tap, ballet, art (Mrs. Close taught that class), and basket weaving. Swimming lessons taught at that time were beyond compare. I still have a beautiful swim stroke to this day because we could not move on to the next class unless our strokes were perfect. Same with tennis. We were required to learn skills in coordination before being allowed on the court. Miss Johnson and Mr. Albers were the tennis instructors and I will always remember them. The Choo-Choo hamburgers were great. It was so much fun to watch the train go around the counter and deliver the burger! I remember the Rexall Drug store on Oakton. And there was a shop that sold penny candy just west of it. I loved the licorice "records" with the round, red candy dot in the center. At the library there was a summer book club. For each book we read we would get a sticker to put on a picture of a caterpillar on paper. When we read about 20 or 25 books we got a free ticket to the Des Plaines theatre.. worth 25 cents! The old farmhouse at the NE corner of Oakton and Lee was abandoned. We thought it was haunted and used to go over there to look for ghosts. The onion fields west of Lee (Mannheim) and south of Oakton smelled really bad every August. The scent of onions carried blocks away. I remember when they built the Jewel at Oakton and Lee. There was still a field next to it at Oakton and Spruce and it had a zillion grasshoppers during the summer. Oh, yes, and wild asparagus grew there! Then, as time went on into the 60's... Ahhh... "The Hut!"
Someone

Cincinnati, OH

#6 Oct 20, 2011
Eric Ziegler wrote:
I grew up in Des Plaines in the mid-Fifties. I'd love to hear from anyone who can relate to that time frame. I lived next to Rand Park and attended "Old North School," then "New North School." I've visited DP, eaten at the Choo-Choo, and am still kind of enchanted with the town.
I dont mean to sound rude but when you post your email online thats like asking for spam emails
Mary Spoo Peglow

AOL

#7 Dec 31, 2011
Eric Ziegler wrote:
I grew up in Des Plaines (1975 Miner Street, next to Rand Park) in the mid-Fifties. I'd love to hear from anyone who might relate to this period in DP. I attended "Old North School" just before it was torn down, then "New North School."
I also went to Old North thru 3rd grade and then New North

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Des Plaines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 42 min Earthling-1 49,219
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 55 min Uzi 68,883
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL 71,025
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr John Galt 1,154,077
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr Justice1313 51,253
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Guru 181,833
15th ave adult bookstore (Oct '11) 8 hr People 877
Des Plaines Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Des Plaines People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Des Plaines News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Des Plaines

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:50 pm PST

Bleacher Report 2:50PM
Complete Week 15 Preview for Green Bay
Bleacher Report 8:19 PM
Ranking Packers' Best Wins over Buccaneers
NBC Sports 8:26 AM
Report: Executives suggest Bears could have to attach a draft pick to move Cutler
Yahoo! Sports12:30 PM
Greg Cosell's Look Ahead: Aaron Rodgers' off day
Yahoo! Sports 5:26 PM
Lions claim playoff berth with Eagles' loss