Ex-Mayor Tony Arredia running for off...

Ex-Mayor Tony Arredia running for office again!

Posted in the Des Plaines Forum

A friend

Naperville, IL

#1 Jan 21, 2013
Follow the Mayor back into office!

Check out Mayor Arredia's Face Book page at:
Https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tony-Arredia-4...
A friend

Naperville, IL

#2 Jan 25, 2013
Meet Tony - He knows People!

http://nancyloo.net/tag/tony-arredia/
A friend

Naperville, IL

#3 Jan 25, 2013
Former Des Plaines Mayor Tony Arredia
The last time I saw Tony Arredia he was Mayor of Des Plaines, a major suburb northwest of Chicago, and we were standing in floodwater as I interviewed him for Fox Chicago. (See that report here.)  Tony is one of my favorite news sources. As a journalist, I know the value of networking and maintaining ties with politicians and a whole host of people (though Pat Quinn rarely answers his cell phone anymore since becoming Governor) even if they’re no longer in office.

I love the story of how Tony wound up settling in Des Plaines. Back in 1963, he and his wife lived in Chinatown – right in the construction path of the Dan Ryan Expressway. So they drove around looking for a new place to call home. They loved a new subdivision to the northwest so planned to bring Tony’s father to see the place. Couldn’t find it. Tony drove into another new subdivision in Des Plaines and declared,“Here it is, Dad.” Today he admits,“I still don’t know where the hell I was when I was looking!”
9-3-2009
Maryville Academy in Des Plaines
He went on to become the mayor of Des Plaines for 10 years, stepping down just a few months ago. This guy has not slowed down. I visited him today at the Maryville Academy, which provides a host of services for troubled kids and families. There have been major changes at the academy since a suicide and sexual assault made news 6 years ago.

In his “retirement”, Tony is working as Director of Governmental Development for this cash-strapped agency. Like many others, Maryville has lost a lot of state funding – more than a million dollars – and the outlook is not good for next year.

I got to chat with some of the teenagers today. They are former drug addicts, thieves and thugs. But they are well-spoken and seem to be on new paths. John hopes to become a welder, Joe a fireman and Prince may join the Army. John insists,“This place changes the way you think.”

A chat with 3 Maryville residents. Many have to be turned away due to the lack of funding.

Maryville’s Executive Director, Sister Catherine Ryan, tells me other agencies are struggling even more. She’s heard of some that are out of money completely and troubled kids are being sent to food pantries in order to eat.  This is why Tony is at Maryville everyday. He’s working the phones to drum up as much funding as possible. I’m honored to be the only journalist programmed into his cellphone. I have yet to meet the new mayor of Des Plaines but I know who to call.

by Nancy Loo
A friend

Naperville, IL

#4 Jan 25, 2013
If you would like a yard sign for TONY you can send us a private message thru FB or go to our website at www.TONY4MAYOR.COM and request one or two or three when they are available
A friend

Naperville, IL

#5 Jan 29, 2013
COMMENTS ABOUT TONY FROM CAPITOL HILL http://capitolwords.org/date/2009/04/21/E895_...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Des Plaines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Chicagoan by Birth 1,459,870
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr District 1 231,181
last post wins! (Apr '13) 4 hr They cannot kill ... 1,975
last post wins! (Dec '10) 4 hr They cannot kill ... 2,762
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 hr Ize Found 71,238
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 6 hr Go Blue Forever 104,548
The Color of Crime in Chicago. 6 hr Earl 20

Des Plaines Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Des Plaines Mortgages