FAIR CAMPING: Iowa State Fair Campgrounds fill in

Full story: WHOtv

The gates at the Iowa State Fair open to spectators on Thursday, but Sunday afternoon hundreds of campers moved in.
Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Aug 18, 2013
eeewwww

State Center, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2010

Judged:

EEEEwwwwww smelly fat old redneck people stacked up top of each other living in boxs.
COW PIE or cow dung

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2010

Judged:

We camped at the fair 2-years ago for the last time.
I have never seen so many "LOW LIFE" people gather in the same place at the same time.
They are usually overweight, smell, and sweat, since most do not have air conditioning.
We were parked along side of a run down Motorhome, that stayed the whole time with a front flat tire.
They would cook brat sandwich's and drink beer all day, and all night long.
Are bedroom windows were side by side, and you could actually hear him fart all night long, and if the wind was in the right direction, the smell would enter our camper.
I hope someone else are enjoying our parking spot.
Susan L

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2010

Judged:

COW PIE or cow dung wrote:
We camped at the fair 2-years ago for the last time.
I have never seen so many "LOW LIFE" people gather in the same place at the same time.
They are usually overweight, smell, and sweat, since most do not have air conditioning.
We were parked along side of a run down Motorhome, that stayed the whole time with a front flat tire.
They would cook brat sandwich's and drink beer all day, and all night long.
Are bedroom windows were side by side, and you could actually hear him fart all night long, and if the wind was in the right direction, the smell would enter our camper.
I hope someone else are enjoying our parking spot.
We camped alongside of some filthy people last year, that should have been turned into the Health Dept.
They did not have bathroom facilities in their camper, and they would take a crap between our campers.
We had to throw cat litter on their ugly mess, after our grandchildren stepped through it, and walked on the carpet of our camper.

Since: Jul 10

Fairfield, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2010

Judged:

Yuk!

People have changed so much through the years. I have very fond memories of camping (tent) years ago and people weren't like that then.
DKF

Oskaloosa, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2010

Judged:

You obviously are camping in a bad spot. I have been camping in the same spot for 25 years. Nobody smells, nobody dumps thier waste on the ground. We have made good friends and always enjoy seeing everyone. I hope all the "decent" camping people speak up here!!
104luvr

Knoxville, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2010

Judged:

I don't know what makes you people think that everyone out of the thousands of people that camp at the fair are smelly, fat, old, rednecks.
CClark

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2010

Judged:

Ok. So I'm so sorry that some people think this way about camping at the state fair. My family and I have camped there since before I was born! And we all absolutely love it. The whole family goes-grandparents down to the grandkids. This is our family vacation and we look forward to it every year.
I have never heard of people doing such things but Im not going to say that there aren't dirty people out there. If your neighbors were being nasty then you should have told someone. Pretty sure they would have done something.
And for your information my family and I might love doing this but we aren't diry, beer drinking rednecks. We shower every night and might enjoy a few drinks as do every American!
State Fair Camper

Oskaloosa, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2010

Judged:

We have camped at the fair for 15 years and enjoy every minute of it. While occasionally through the years we have had some less then desireable neighbors, we have learned how to deal. Some of what has been posted should have been brought to Al's attention. This year we do have some people camping next to us that could be interesting : <
Mitch

Waterloo, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2012

Always wanted to camp at the Fair. Looking at Google maps and seeing how the RVs are packed in inches apart shows how things can get nasty.No kidding.Look for yourself. They have campers inches apart!! I think I'll pass on Fair camping!!
Old Timer at the fair

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2012

Mitch wrote:
Always wanted to camp at the Fair. Looking at Google maps and seeing how the RVs are packed in inches apart shows how things can get nasty.No kidding.Look for yourself. They have campers inches apart!! I think I'll pass on Fair camping!!
I've been camping at the Fair for years never had any trouble and the camp grounds are quiter than your every day camp grounds Everyone making their fun down at the Fair and wanting Peace at the grounds Day & Night I think you will enjoy camping at the Fair
Momof3

Neola, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

We visited the fair for the first time this year and camped in our motor home for 3 nights. We were in the "overflow" area so no hookups, we used our generator. They have a no generator policy from 10pm-7am and we found that to be very reasonable. We weren't packed in as tight out there as some are in the reserved spots with hookups, but even out there it was fairly crowded but I think that's part of the fun. Meeting new people, enjoying the fair and the beautiful weather...it was a very enjoyable experience for us. My only complaint was that a group got a little too loud at midnight and we do have 3 young kids who were sleeping, but the campground officials were on top of it and asked them to quiet down. I think it's to be expected when you get that many people in a campground on a Saturday night.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Des Moines Discussions

Search the Des Moines Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Miss V'S Honky Tonk Island Jul 27 David 1
New Workout Kosama (Feb '10) Jul 26 Kosama Clive 65
Humbolt mayor, victim agree on restitution Jul 25 As8b1045b 1
Marty Conrad/Dylan Jones Jul 24 Dr Joe Revis Phd 4
Groups Lobby For Jobless Benefits Extension Jul 24 Tracey 1
Your 2 Cents' Worth Submit brief anonymous comm... (Jul '09) Jul 23 BIG D RETIRED VETERAN 143
Brooklyn DuPris-Starr Jul 16 Dr Joe Revis Phd 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Des Moines Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Des Moines People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE