Judges Not Retained

Judges Not Retained

There are 199 comments on the WHOtv story from Nov 2, 2010, titled Judges Not Retained. In it, WHOtv reports that:

The poll results are in and the three Supreme Court Justices up for retention have been ousted.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHOtv.

CRK2010

Indianola, IA

#166 Nov 3, 2010
Homophobe 4 sure wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think that "your generation" will start a new era? You have another thing coming. Homosexuality has been around since ancient times, and if you study history, you will find out that it helped to undermind many a good societies.(Romans, Greeks, Persians and more.) In God's eyes, your sin is an abomination. Shouldnt that be plain enough to you to see that it is a foolish choice. And Yes I said CHOICE. Just so glad the citizens of Iowa made the right choice. YAHOO
Yes of course it is a choice; I mean people chose to be target of many hateful views; See that is in "god's" eyes; Of course you can't prove that he does exist; and plus it is not a book that will judge us it is Him! You have no idea what the true intentions of his judging are; yes the bible says many things but are all of them followed? Yeah I thought not, so before you start the whole bible says it's an abomination, make sure you are following all the other things that it says too
Adrian

Torrance, CA

#167 Nov 3, 2010
The people of Iowa have spoken, give glory to GOD. Now it's time for the rest of us right minded thinking people of this country to move forward and stand up for what GOD has ordained, letís put a lid on this Homosexual Demon that have destroyed so many Men/Women; We have a right to stand up and protect marriage, for those that are for same sex marriage you donít have a clue what you are saying, 2 of a kind canít create what part of that you donít understand, sick sick sick sick, GOD didnít create MAN to sleep with another MAN let alone Marry one, PRAISE GO TO IOWA, NOW ITíS TIME FOR THE PEOPLE OF CALIFORNIA TO GET IT RIGHTÖ..
hopeful

West Des Moines, IA

#168 Nov 3, 2010
Next thing you know there will be a vote for slavery, no more womens rights and so on so, Iowa keep going backwards and show the world that ingnorace lives right in the heart of Iowa. I am ashamed to have ever lived here.
Terry B

Des Moines, IA

#169 Nov 3, 2010
stan wrote:
Im not a bible thumper nor a riligious person.But i know GOD created Adam & EAVE, not ADAM & GEORGE!!!!!!!!!!
It's Adam and Steve Jackwad.
kenny

West Des Moines, IA

#170 Nov 3, 2010
It is interesting to see the views on this topic. Opponents would call this a vote against activist judges not necessarily about marriage, others see it as interpretation on the law.
Activism vs. interpretation...Much similar to our nations Supreme Court on January 2010 who reversed (interpreted vs. activism) a century of law--yes law.
The decision by the Supreme Court said a variety of outside interest groups should have no limits on the amounts donors can give and there should be no requirement for donors to be identified.
Critics did point out that out of state interest groups had a large hand in this vote.

Whatever the case, it's always interesting how some opinions are stated as fact, and how little we know about the other sides of the issue especially when it pertains to the very thing that someone may be against...
BTW,this would apply to all parties, groups, beliefs etc...
Rick St R

West Des Moines, IA

#171 Nov 3, 2010
Yeah but the law is the law.
I don't want any government messing with my personal marriage rights!
Not against gays, just like to stick to the law and the voice of the people of Iowa.
Funny Straight Guy

Pella, IA

#172 Nov 3, 2010
stan wrote:
Im not a bible thumper nor a riligious person.But i know GOD created Adam & EAVE, not ADAM & GEORGE!!!!!!!!!!
It does sound a little better if you say that God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.
Concerned citizen

Columbus, GA

#173 Nov 3, 2010
To all: This is just my opinion. My opinion and $3:99 will buy you a Latte at Starbucks. Yummy! Anyway, this country being founded on Biblical principals and Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, God in the flesh, is probably the biggest reason that we can make the choices in our lives that govern the way we openly live. To the gays I write, if Hitler would have had his way, if the Muslim could be put in charge or Communism rule, your freedom to express openly your lifestyle would not exist. You would be in your "closet.Ē You would fear for your lives because the government that rules you, because of what it has been influenced by, would seek to put you to death. Not so in this country. Because of Biblical influence of the government you have the freedom to openly live how you please. However, because we all share these freedoms to live, the "majority" has great influence. In this country our laws usually reflect the majority opinion. Our laws have been what they have been for quite some time actually since the early days of this country's foundation or foundation on Biblical principals. For your sake in this temporal world you had better hope that the Bible does rule. For your sake in the eternal world you had better pray that the Bible rules, right now, in your heart. God will allow you to live as you choose. However, His truth is right in front of you. It is called the Bible. God hates all sin. However He loves His creation of man. We know this because He sent His only Son to die on the cross to pay the penalty owed by you and I. Christianity and God are not your enemies. Sin is your enemy. Evil is your enemy. Live how you please. However if you do not believe God while you live on this earth, you will be separated from Him eternally in a place called Hell. I am a sinner. The difference between you and me? I believe God. You say you do not believe God. Homosexuality is sin. If you justify your actions or how you live, you call God a liar or you do not believe. I am speaking the truth to you in love. If you believe God your life will change. Not the other way around. I am praying for you. Please read the Bible. Please attend a church where the Bible is taught. Churches by the name of ďBible, Baptist, Community, E-Free and there are othersĒ are churches that teach the Bible. True Christianity will welcome you for your opportunity to hear the truth of Godís Word. Amen brother!
elcycib

Harleysville, PA

#174 Nov 3, 2010
Saw lots of pinhead comments on here. However, those that are aware that it is Legislatures that make law got it right. For those that want gay marriage (oxymoron that is), elect folks who will pass that misguided law.
Rick St R

West Des Moines, IA

#175 Nov 3, 2010
Rick St R wrote:
Yeah but the law is the law.
I don't want any government messing with my personal marriage rights!
Not against gays, just like to stick to the law and the voice of the people of Iowa.
I understand your reasoning and respect your opinion. You're right, voting Iowans have spoken. I just wanted to point out that "activism and interpretation" can be similar and really defined by the individual.
I'm just looking big picture and trends here. Take into account demographics. Who usually votes and who constitutes the majority of Iowans. That is why we have the results that we do now.
However, if you don't vote or don't get the chance to do so, then you have no voice.
Take care.
Do you really think that the future voters of Iowa will be against this same sex marriage?

Opinions change with time and a different generation, that all.
Terry B

Des Moines, IA

#176 Nov 3, 2010
elcycib wrote:
Saw lots of pinhead comments on here. However, those that are aware that it is Legislatures that make law got it right. For those that want gay marriage (oxymoron that is), elect folks who will pass that misguided law.
As long as the law is constitutional! Laws not allowing SSM are unconstitutional if marriage is allowed by law to other members of society, its a hypocrisy.
Shahnster

Saint Louis, MO

#177 Nov 3, 2010
Good for Iowa!! The people do not WANT the liberal agenda forced on them. The people have spoken! These judges or OUTTA HERE!! Let's get back to some basic morality and stop trying to turn states in Sodom and Gommorah.
YEAH IOWA!!!!!
Shahnster

Saint Louis, MO

#178 Nov 3, 2010
Terry B. marriage IS offered to everyone. We are all free to marry under the SAME martial laws. ALL people are free to marry a person of the opposite sex, regardless of "sexual orientation", and we are all NOT allowed to marry a person of the same sex, regardless of "sexual orientation". EQUAL.

There is no law that says a homosexual person cannot get married. In fact, they do not even ASK your "sexual orientation" when applying for a marriage license.

Get you facts straight.
Jovan

Albuquerque, NM

#179 Nov 3, 2010
Even though the ballot box is necessary for democracy, it is also bigotry's most powerful weapon. Slowly but surely we are returning to the days of witch hunts and the erosion of our most basic civil rights. It is very sad that bigotry and misguidance has led to using the ballot box to oust those who are guardians of our civil rights. However one day this will backfire. Whether or not you agreed with the judges' decison regarding same sex marriage, we do not need PUPPETS in the judiciary. I may not agree with every decision handed down by the judicial system, but I will respect each decision that adhere's to the U.S. Constitution. One of these days those who voted the judges out will them to defend their civil rights and they will not be there to support them. It's a double edge sword.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#180 Nov 3, 2010
Why all this talk about God? Noboby belives in such nonsense... lol..Come on now boys and girls.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#181 Nov 3, 2010
Giggs

Des Moines, IA

#182 Nov 3, 2010
Shahnster wrote:
Terry B. marriage IS offered to everyone. We are all free to marry under the SAME martial laws. ALL people are free to marry a person of the opposite sex, regardless of "sexual orientation", and we are all NOT allowed to marry a person of the same sex, regardless of "sexual orientation". EQUAL.
There is no law that says a homosexual person cannot get married. In fact, they do not even ASK your "sexual orientation" when applying for a marriage license.
Get you facts straight.
Is this satire or you seriously that f'ing stupid?

You actually define a gay man being able to marry a woman as "equal" rights?

You want to know what "equal" actually is? Take a look at Iowa. What we have right now is true equality. Consenting same-sex adults are free to committ to and marry their partner just the same as opposite-sex adults. Been this way for over a year now. Going to be this way for at least a few more. Sky hasn't fallen. "Traditional" marriages haven't crumbled. Divorce rates aren't up. In fact, my wife and I just entered into a "traditional" marriage. As far as I can tell the gays didn't ruin or lessen our love and commitment to each other.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#183 Nov 3, 2010
Sarah wrote:
Iowans should stand proud. The majority has spoken. I would bet plenty that the negative posts about this result are the same Democrats that were all about the Socialist Obama being elected. They don't like the majority rule, they want the liberal rule.
In two years, let's continue the removal of the judges who think they exist to make our laws. They don't
Those of you that think the law in Iowa is that marriage is between a man and a man or a woman and a woman are sadly mistaken. The law defining marriage is still on our books. The high and mighty court isn't so high and mighty - are they!
Sarah, you are an idiot!
Neal and Bob

Janesville, WI

#184 Nov 3, 2010
I am still trying to understand why homosexuals would want to get married?

I thought that freedom and rebellion were part of the fun of the lifestyle.....
Concerned citizen

Columbus, GA

#185 Nov 3, 2010
Jovan wrote:
Even though the ballot box is necessary for democracy, it is also bigotry's most powerful weapon. Slowly but surely we are returning to the days of witch hunts and the erosion of our most basic civil rights. It is very sad that bigotry and misguidance has led to using the ballot box to oust those who are guardians of our civil rights. However one day this will backfire. Whether or not you agreed with the judges' decison regarding same sex marriage, we do not need PUPPETS in the judiciary. I may not agree with every decision handed down by the judicial system, but I will respect each decision that adhere's to the U.S. Constitution. One of these days those who voted the judges out will them to defend their civil rights and they will not be there to support them. It's a double edge sword.
In reference to your last sentence "It's a two edge sword" the Holy Bible is the two edged sword because it is the truth from God to mankind.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Des Moines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sander... 1 min Denny CranesPlace 8
News Ticket's in the mail: Red-light cameras questioned (Mar '09) Fri Lynn 58
News Des Moines East Football Coach Resigns (Apr '10) Aug 28 pete 7
News Fiorina's Fuzzy Vaccine Claims Aug 28 anothervoice 4
Hit and Run? Aug 28 Palmer House 3
Everyday is a Decline and Fall Day in The War o... Aug 20 Culture Auditor 1
Con-man Handyman Midget (Dec '11) Aug 20 been there 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Des Moines Mortgages