Iowa Catholic sisters kick off immigr...

Iowa Catholic sisters kick off immigration reform campaign

There are 57 comments on the blogs.desmoinesregister.com story from Dec 11, 2011, titled Iowa Catholic sisters kick off immigration reform campaign. In it, blogs.desmoinesregister.com reports that:

Catholic sisters from ten religious communities in Iowa and neighboring states will kick off a campaign on Monday that ties the words of Jesus to a more open view on immigration.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at blogs.desmoinesregister.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Juan

Pearland, TX

#1 Dec 11, 2011
The Catholic Church helps poor immigrants.
LMAO

Omaha, NE

#2 Dec 11, 2011
You mindless twit, this is already a thread!

Since: Apr 10

Houston, TX

#3 Dec 11, 2011
Juan wrote:
The Catholic Church helps poor immigrants.
They little boys too, out of their pants.

“"One for the claws"”

Since: Jul 10

Sin City,U.S.A.

#4 Dec 11, 2011
I've corrected this title to what it actually should be.

Iowa Catholic sisters kick off increased parishioners and offerings campaign.

This is what the Catholic church is concerned about.
MONEY!!!!

“Assimilate & Speak English!”

Since: Jan 07

Lansing, IL - now: Pomp Bch FL

#5 Dec 11, 2011
The Catholic Church is the most hypocritical religion EVER!

Jesus and God do not advocate for illegal immigration or the breaking of laws. Period. Apparently these people missed those points when reading the Bible.
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#6 Dec 12, 2011
The Catholic Church has a long and distinguished history of repressing and profiting from the poor at the behest of the rich, corrupt and powerful. It seems they are trying to continue this tradition in the United States.
Memo From Turner

Passaic, NJ

#7 Dec 12, 2011
Rebel wrote:
The Catholic Church is the most hypocritical religion EVER!
Jesus and God do not advocate for illegal immigration or the breaking of laws. Period. Apparently these people missed those points when reading the Bible.
You must use a different Bible then the rest of us. The ible is pretty clear about immigration.

"When an alien resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the alien. The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God".Leviticus 19.33-34

"Also you shall not oppress a stranger, for you know the heart of a stranger, because you were strangers in the land of Egypt”(Exodus 23:9 NKJV).

“Do not oppress widows, orphans, foreigners, and the poor. And do not scheme against each other”(Zech. 7:10, NLT).

“But I will be merciful only if you stop your evil thoughts and deeds and start treating each other with justice; only if you stop exploiting foreigners, orphans, and widows; only if you stop your murdering; and only if you stop harming yourselves by worshiping idols. Then I will let you stay in this land that I gave to your ancestors to keep forever”(Jer. 7:5-7, NLT).

“At that time I will put you on trial. I am eager to witness against all sorcerers and adulterers and liars. I will speak against those who cheat employees of their wages, who oppress widows and orphans, or who deprive the foreigners living among you of justice, for these people do not fear me,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies”(Mal. 3:5, NLT).

“Open your mouth for the speechless, In the cause of all who are appointed to die. Open your mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy”(Prov. 31:8-9, NKJV).

“‘Cursed is the one who perverts the justice due the stranger, the fatherless, and widow.’“And all the people shall say,‘Amen!’”(Deut. 27:19, NKJV)
Catherine Wheels

Omaha, NE

#8 Dec 12, 2011
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
You must use a different Bible then the rest of us. The ible is pretty clear about immigration.
"When an alien resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the alien. The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God".Leviticus 19.33-34
"Also you shall not oppress a stranger, for you know the heart of a stranger, because you were strangers in the land of Egypt”(Exodus 23:9 NKJV).
“Do not oppress widows, orphans, foreigners, and the poor. And do not scheme against each other”(Zech. 7:10, NLT).
“But I will be merciful only if you stop your evil thoughts and deeds and start treating each other with justice; only if you stop exploiting foreigners, orphans, and widows; only if you stop your murdering; and only if you stop harming yourselves by worshiping idols. Then I will let you stay in this land that I gave to your ancestors to keep forever”(Jer. 7:5-7, NLT).
“At that time I will put you on trial. I am eager to witness against all sorcerers and adulterers and liars. I will speak against those who cheat employees of their wages, who oppress widows and orphans, or who deprive the foreigners living among you of justice, for these people do not fear me,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies”(Mal. 3:5, NLT).
“Open your mouth for the speechless, In the cause of all who are appointed to die. Open your mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy”(Prov. 31:8-9, NKJV).
“‘Cursed is the one who perverts the justice due the stranger, the fatherless, and widow.’“And all the people shall say,‘Amen!’”(Deut. 27:19, NKJV)
Since when do Bibles trump Federal and State laws? Will you be putting your finger on that question? Soon? Real soon?
Memo From Turner

Passaic, NJ

#9 Dec 12, 2011
Catherine Wheels wrote:
<quoted text>Since when do Bibles trump Federal and State laws? Will you be putting your finger on that question? Soon? Real soon?
That was not the question now was it? Deflection and changing the subject. Lame.

Rebel stated that anybody who read the Bible would know that it was clear on the subject. I merely pointed out some verses she apparently missed in her Bible studies.
Catherine Wheels

Des Moines, IA

#10 Dec 12, 2011
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
That was not the question now was it? Deflection and changing the subject. Lame.
Rebel stated that anybody who read the Bible would know that it was clear on the subject. I merely pointed out some verses she apparently missed in her Bible studies.
Typical equivocation. Lame.
Memo From Turner

Passaic, NJ

#11 Dec 12, 2011
Catherine Wheels wrote:
<quoted text>Typical equivocation. Lame.
You don't know what the word "equivocation" means. Do you?

How embarrassing.
Athena

Washington, UT

#12 Dec 12, 2011
What can I say,I fought with the nuns when I was in school and I guess it is a never ending battle. I have to live in the real world,they do not. They just do not get it. When they die they do not leave children and grandchildren.So why would they want to preserve this country for future generations?Somethings never change.
Juan

Pearland, TX

#13 Dec 12, 2011
The Catholic church has helped my girlfriend pay her utilities. She could not afford to pay all of her electrical bill.
jose

Scranton, PA

#14 Dec 12, 2011
Juan wrote:
The Catholic church has helped my girlfriend pay her utilities. She could not afford to pay all of her electrical bill.
That's because your welfare queen sits on her fat a$$ doing nothing but stuffing her face with tacos and burritos while watching beaner soap operas. Ah what a disgusting POS she and you are. Worthless individuals that you both are.
Juan

Pearland, TX

#15 Dec 12, 2011
jose wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because your welfare queen sits on her fat a$$ doing nothing but stuffing her face with tacos and burritos while watching beaner soap operas. Ah what a disgusting POS she and you are. Worthless individuals that you both are.
She's an excellent mother.........she takes good care of her kids.

“Assimilate & Speak English!”

Since: Jan 07

Lansing, IL - now: Pomp Bch FL

#16 Dec 12, 2011
Just for Memo from Turner who has issues understanding that God and Jesus do not believe in breaking laws and they *do* believe in laws and borders.

http://www.cis.org/bible-use-and-abuse-immigr...

Quote:
The very positive statements about the treatment of strangers in the Bible, some of which were already quoted, show compassion for the alien in ancient Israel. The defenders of illegal aliens point to these passages as the rationale for rewriting current laws. The problem is that they make a simplistic correlation between the ancient Israelite social law and the modern situation as if the Bible was addressing the same problem. Three important questions must be raised before one attempts to apply Israelite law to the modern situation: 1) Was there such a thing as territorial sovereignty in the second millennium B.C. when these laws originated; 2) Within that socio-legal setting, what was a “stranger” or “sojourner;” and 3) How does one obtain this status?

Regarding the first, the answer is unequivocal. Nations small and large had clearly recognizable borders, typically demarcated by natural features such as rivers, valleys, and mountain ranges, much as they are today. Warring Egyptian Pharaohs often claimed that they went on campaigns to widen or extend Egypt’s borders. Wars were fought over where boundary lines would be drawn, and forts were strategically placed on frontiers to defend the territory and to monitor movements of pastoralists. Permits akin to the modern visa were issued to people entering another land. In the tomb of Khnumhotep, governor of central Egypt (from ca. 1865 B.C.), a band of foreign travelers are shown before the governor. An official presents him with a permit or visa, which spells out that there were 37 people from Syria-Canaan. At the key entry points of Egypt, forts would have issued such entry permits. Recent excavations in north Sinai have revealed a pair of such forts at Tell Hebua, located less than two miles east of the Suez Canal. Three miles southeast of the second Hebua fort is Tell el-Borg where I directed excavations between 1999 and 2008. There we uncovered two forts that guarded the road to Egypt between 1450 and 1200 B.C. The ancient Egyptians were very careful about who they allowed into Egypt.

The Israelites were well aware of the need to respect territorial sovereignty. After the exodus from Egypt, Moses and the Hebrews lived a nomadic existence for 40 years in Sinai. Since no country, not even Egypt in those days, claimed hegemony over the peninsula, the Hebrews could move freely and required no permission. But when they left Sinai, they needed to pass through Edom in southern Jordan, and permission of the host nation was necessary, as Numbers 20:14-21 reports:
End Quote

“Assimilate & Speak English!”

Since: Jan 07

Lansing, IL - now: Pomp Bch FL

#17 Dec 12, 2011
Matthew 22 and Romans 13 make it pretty clear that we are not to violate the laws that govern our society.

In Luke 20:25, the phrase, "Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's" is attributed to Jesus. He was talking about tax law; the quote is used as an example of how Christians should submit to secular authority.

Romans 13:1-7 states:“Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God’s servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God’s servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.”

That passage makes it abundantly clear. We are to obey the government God places over us. God created government to establish order, punish evil, and promote justice (Genesis 9:6; 1 Corinthians 14:33; Romans 12:8). We are to obey the government in everything - paying taxes, obeying rules and laws, showing respect, etc. If we do not, we are ultimately showing disrespect towards God, for He is the One who placed that government over us. When the Apostle Paul wrote Romans 13:1-7, he was under the government of Rome, during the reign of Nero, perhaps that most evil of all the Roman Emperors. Paul still recognized that government’s rule over him. How can we do any less?

Romans 13:1-7 makes it abundantly clear that God expects us to obey the laws of the government. The ONLY exception to this is when a law of the government forces you to disobey a command of God (Acts 5:29). Illegal immigration is the breaking of a governmental law. There is nothing in Scripture that would contradict with obeying immigration laws. Therefore, it is a sin, rebellion against God, to illegally immigrate into another country. Romans 13:1-7 also gives the government the authority to punish lawbreakers, whether it be by deportation or imprisonment (in the cases of illegal immigration), or more severe penalties for greater crimes.

“Assimilate & Speak English!”

Since: Jan 07

Lansing, IL - now: Pomp Bch FL

#18 Dec 12, 2011
The vast majority of illegal aliens in the United States have immigrated for the purpose of having a better life, providing for their families, and escaping from poverty. These are good goals and motivations. However, these reasons do not give a person the right to break a law. Those seeking to immigrate to the United States (or any other country), should obey the immigration laws of that country. While this will cause delays and frustrations, again, these reasons do not give a person the right to break a law.

"Amen, amen I say to you: He that enter not by the door into the sheepfold, but climb up another way, the same is a thief and a robber." (John 10:1)

John 10
Parable of the Good Shepherd
1"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter by the door into the fold of the sheep, but climbs up some other way, he is (A)a thief and a robber.

Because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold.(Matthew 24:12)

Thou shalt not steal

Thou shalt not covet

Thou shalt not covet anything that is thy neighbor's

They're gonna fry in their hell.

How many illegal aliens are in Heaven? How many people who are in hell get to march there demanding their 'rights' from God or try to scream that there's nothing illegal in being human to it's face.

Guess we know how God feels about illegal aliens, huh?

“I know”

Since: Nov 07

you wanna be justified

#19 Dec 12, 2011
Juan wrote:
<quoted text>
She's an excellent mother.........she takes good care of her kids.
The Catholic sisters.."They called their campaign a “direct response” to Secure Communities, a deportation program coordinated at local, state and federal levels that enlists law enforcement officials in identifying and removing illegal immigrants. Some immigration reform advocates have said the program results in fewer crimes being reported in some communities by individuals fearing deportations."

So if a mother is raped she might not call the police. If a mother is robbed, she would be afraid to call the police. If a mother is beaten and spit on, she might not call the police.

The Sisters know that this is NOT what God wants.

“I know”

Since: Nov 07

you wanna be justified

#20 Dec 12, 2011
When the laws of Nazi Germany attacked the Jews, the Church and Christians have been criticized for not standing against those evil laws during that evil time.

So does the Catholic Church want something like that to happen again? I think not. And evidence now that they are standing for God's laws against man's evil laws.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Des Moines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jessica Pratt still hooking (Feb '14) May 25 James 4
Alyx Sacks May 24 Local 1
Elias Johnson May 24 Local 1
Scott Desjarlais fourth district Tennessee Cong... May 17 SPAMMY 10
Marty Conrad/Dylan Jones (Nov '13) May 14 Theresa Conrad 12
iowa sucks (Jan '08) May 13 Better Society 386
News Egg, turkey meat prices begin to rise as bird f... May 13 Joe Balls 17
More from around the web

Des Moines People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]