U.S. Presbyterian Church at crossroads over gay marriage

Jul 14, 2012 Full story: Reuters

Deeply sympathetic to gay rights since his son, Matty, came out as gay a decade ago, the lifelong Presbyterian told his son he will officiate at his wedding, defying church policy.

Read more

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Jul 14, 2012
Thank you, Rev. Smith.
david traversa

Catamarca, Argentina

#2 Jul 14, 2012
Why is it that unless some daughter, son or relative comes out most these people will stubbornly stick to their prejudices? It's only when it hits home they wake up from their homophobic slumber.. Still.. Thank you, Rev. Smith.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#3 Jul 15, 2012
Personally I don't buy into religion but there are many people that have found an inner peace by going to church or simply believing in their religion including LGBTQ people. I have to consider this a positive for society as long as it is left to their own personal belief.
This article shows that church leaders are in a struggle about the loss of followers which is dollars in their pockets than they are at restoring the value of human life.
These religions have their own rules and unfortunately they force these same rules on all of society by unconstitutionally mingling in government. I really don't care if churches marry any one because it really is not even a social issue because they are private organizations. The social issues is civil law which religion has no say.
This is clearly a struggle to find where they will collect the most money. Of all people one would think that this would be a no brain er and human value would come first. Instead the money is where the hate is preached the loudest.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#4 Jul 15, 2012
david traversa wrote:
Why is it that unless some daughter, son or relative comes out most these people will stubbornly stick to their prejudices? It's only when it hits home they wake up from their homophobic slumber.. Still.. Thank you, Rev. Smith.
Before they know a few (of the best, one hopes) of us, all they know is what they've been told ... usually by someone whose views are inimical to our simple humanity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Des Moines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Protesters block immigration holding site at Ur... (Nov '10) Sat Elise Gingerich 14
News Dallas County Sheriff (Apr '13) Sat Esile Hciregnig 2
News Wiggly words on immigration from potential Repu... Sat Your Ex 1
News Wiggly words on immigration from potential Repu... Sat El Guapo 1
Review: Container Round Up Mar 23 gbenson 1
Marty Conrad/Dylan Jones (Nov '13) Mar 21 Richer d 9
New back pain treatment being performed in Des ... Mar 20 Clancy 2

Fire Warning for Polk County was issued at March 30 at 4:14AM CDT

Des Moines Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Des Moines People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE