Iowa Appeals Same-sex Birth Ruling

Iowa Appeals Same-sex Birth Ruling

There are 4 comments on the KCRG story from Feb 6, 2012, titled Iowa Appeals Same-sex Birth Ruling. In it, KCRG reports that:

State health officials are appealing a Polk County court decision ordering the state to list both members of a same-sex marriage as the parents of a child now 2 years old.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KCRG.

“Love thy neighbor!”

Since: Dec 06

Westland , MI

#1 Feb 6, 2012
I can see their point. This is new territory and they want to have everything spelled out. I'm glad the mom's WON!!!

Since: Apr 08

Chagrin Falls, OH

#2 Feb 6, 2012
When my same-sex partner and I adopted our kids in Minnesota in 2006, the state issued new birth certificates listing us as our kids' parents. Their original birth certificates are still on file with the state. It's just like theydo with any adoption, and like people who have their name changed.

It should be a non-issue.
Tucksun Jack

Tucson, AZ

#3 Feb 6, 2012
While I am second to no one in fighting for equal rights for gay and lesbian Americans, I'm going to disagree here.

A birth certificate should contain ONLY the facts of a person's birth. One of the reasons that this can be important is in a person being able to research their family tree for health reasons.

There's no reason why a separate adoption certificate can't be issued for both parents.

But I think teh birth certificate should contain ONLY the names of the person whose certificate it is, and their BIOLOGICAL parents.

Since: Apr 08

Chagrin Falls, OH

#4 Feb 7, 2012
Tucksun Jack wrote:
While I am second to no one in fighting for equal rights for gay and lesbian Americans, I'm going to disagree here.
A birth certificate should contain ONLY the facts of a person's birth. One of the reasons that this can be important is in a person being able to research their family tree for health reasons.
There's no reason why a separate adoption certificate can't be issued for both parents.
But I think teh birth certificate should contain ONLY the names of the person whose certificate it is, and their BIOLOGICAL parents.
When a new birth certificate is issued at adoption the old ones are not deleted from the records. They are all there for anyone who wants to look up family trees or research health issues.

Having a birth certificate that identifies the current status of the individual is necessary for proving legal parent status. As a parent who has adopted, I can assure you that it is necessary. That little piece of paper is needed when enrolling the kids in school, when getting a doctor or dentist, when getting a passport, and when the kids are ready to get their first job you need it to get their social security number.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Des Moines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Angie Vanwyngarden (Feb '14) 7 hr Jake 19
News Men nabbed in asphalt scam to appear in court M... (Aug '08) 20 hr John 24
News Warren County arrest report (Jul '08) Jul 28 hate the abels 2
yes Jul 22 yo 1
why so evil? Jul 22 racer patrol 1
News Ankeny to tackle teen drinking (Oct '06) Jul 14 concerned citizen 4
News Your 2 Cents' Worth Submit brief anonymous comm... (Jul '09) Jul 11 Victim Side 177
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Des Moines Mortgages