mikeymike100

Sewickley, PA

#21 Oct 12, 2009
I know Joe Boggio from a distance only. He seems to be a guy a high integrity, doesn't seem to be a yeller or screamer which the kids probably like, although the current coach doesn't seem to scream a lot either to his credit.

BUT, I am not sure Ron is a "game day" coach. I went to the Latrobe game and I was not impressed. It is time that Derry Area stops taking advantage of Boggio - he will never leave Derry and they know it.

I hope Ron takes an honest look at the program and his performance and that of his staff and allows Boggio to take over.
Derry Trojans

Richmond, VA

#22 Oct 21, 2009
Derry ALUMNI wrote:
And...we'll see tonight what happens. Great toss-up game. In the rain.
Bog' won another two weeks of great football. Back and forth game last night.
Side note: did you know that several of the 9th graders "denied invitations to play with the high school team this year, and instead played under Bog"? Interesting.
You facts are wrong regarding 9th graders being asked to play for the varsity team. There was only one player asked and he turned it down because he would only be allowed to kick. It had nothing to do with the coaching staff. He would have lost a year of experience by only playing varsity.
Derry Alumnist

Pittsburgh, PA

#23 Oct 21, 2009
Then the 9th grade boys are liars. One or the other. I won't list names, the kids are minors. Maybe they're making up a big fabrication of the facts...I have had this conversation with several of them...oh well.
ChevyMan

New Eagle, PA

#24 Oct 21, 2009
They had another uninspiring effort against elizabeth forward. i realize it was not a conference game but still. you got to play hard. 2-5 and they can still make the playoffs??? are you kidding me?
Oberver

Pittsburgh, PA

#25 Oct 23, 2009
Playoff berth? Fingers crossed.

Since: Jun 09

Blairsville, PA

#26 Oct 26, 2009
Billy Wayno should be the high school coach! He has an awesome record, the kids love him and hes a good man on and off the field!
Derry Alumnist

Pittsburgh, PA

#27 Oct 26, 2009
True. I think Wano likes teaching the youngsters. He's so sweet with them. Same with Boggio, sometimes I wonder if he just likes where he is.

Po told the kids last week that any rumors that he is leaving the program or "giving up on this year's team" are FALSE. It was my understanding he only had a year contract this go round.
Schoolin

Pittsburgh, PA

#28 Nov 2, 2009
Derry did make the playoffs, but 4 teams out of 7 teams in the conference make the playoffs. Is simply making the playoffs the standard of excellence for Derry's football program?? I think it is based on comments from coach ron himself. Before a playoff spot was clinched, he kept saying things like "it is a playoff atmosphere for us" and "must win situation". I didn't hear anything like that leading up to the Greensburg game. coach ron's is a walking cliche. Very disappointing. Time for a change of coaches.
my2cents

Pittsburgh, PA

#29 Nov 8, 2009
Dear Coach Polinsky:

You gave your best and that is all you can do. The team's performance over the past 4 years has not been very good. This was supposed to be THE year...20 returning starters and a 3-7 record???? I heard in an interview you say that you were very close to being 7-2. The fact is that a good, well-coached football would have been 7-2 and a mediocre, poorly-coached football would be 3-6. It is clear that the 2009 edition of the Trojans is the latter.

The head coach must LOOK like a head coach and TALK like a head coach.
Derry Parent

Blairsville, PA

#30 Nov 8, 2009
Derry Football has never been the same since they stopped letting school district teachers do the coaching. Lets bring that back and then we will have coachs that really care about the students they are coaching.
Latrobe Too

Latrobe, PA

#31 Nov 8, 2009
Okay, what teachers at Derry would you like to see coaching. Why does that coaching staff need to have all teachers in order to be effective...I never understood this stance.
Davidula

Washington, PA

#32 Nov 9, 2009
Latrobe Too wrote:
Okay, what teachers at Derry would you like to see coaching. Why does that coaching staff need to have all teachers in order to be effective...I never understood this stance.
The comment was not that ALL coaches needed to be teachers. There was an earlier post that at least a few should be teachers and I tend to agree. I played HS football and as a player you had a certain rapport with teachers that were football coaches. The teacher/coaches seemed to be more concerned with how I was doing in school and my plans after high school. They also knew if you were screwing up in school both on the grades and behavior front.
WildcatzBeRulin

Pittsburgh, PA

#33 Nov 9, 2009
it is hard to find a good coach, we just got ours from jenette, coach reitz. derry does need to shake up the program
Derry Now

Pittsburgh, PA

#34 Nov 10, 2009
WildCatzBeRulin? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Couldn't help myself.
WildcatzBeRulin

Sewickley, PA

#35 Nov 10, 2009
that's what the man said. Let's see...state champs in golf, hockey, tennis, let me think i am sure there are more. better than the derrieres! lol
Derry Now

Pittsburgh, PA

#36 Nov 10, 2009
That's why I've always been so envious of Latrobeans...I just get chills thinking about how awesome you all are...

We're talking about FOOTBALL my friend.
Mr Football

Seward, PA

#37 Nov 10, 2009
Derry school district should stop all sports programs.
Big waste of money and taxpayer dollars.
Have any of the teams every won anything ?
scatback

Pittsburgh, PA

#38 Nov 10, 2009
u can't cut football. u could charge a fee to participants but dont cut it.
WildcatzBeRulin

Smyrna, GA

#39 Nov 11, 2009
didn't we beat you this year Derry Now? And last season? And the year before? And the year before that? And the year before that? I could go on but I don't want to get carpal tunnel.
Latrobe Too

United States

#40 Nov 11, 2009
Wildcatz...thank goodness for your ego here. You're really advancing the discussion here.!? Yawn... Whens the last time we really made waves with our mediocre football team?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Derry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bilik vs. Hammers for district judge 5 hr Shimey 18
School Funding and Advanced classes in MS/HS 13 hr Stein 2
Paps restaurant and sports bar Sat Derry Borough Res 38
Any shops in latrobe/gbg for shoe shine/repair? Sat Ranman 3
The district with the highest absenteeism is De... Sat getalife 17
Supervisors Race Apr 24 getalife 58
Poll Was DAEA letter to Bulletin inflamatory? Apr 23 Joy 23
More from around the web

Derry People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE