Connecticut cougar sighting revealed ...

Connecticut cougar sighting revealed as a hoax

There are 94 comments on the NewsTimes.com story from Mar 6, 2008, titled Connecticut cougar sighting revealed as a hoax. In it, NewsTimes.com reports that:

Photos of a cougar, purportedly sighted in Simsbury, were e-mailed to Connecticut wildlife professionals, naturalists and even Boy Scout troops.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsTimes.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Waynevan

United States

#1 Mar 6, 2008
How do they explain the cougar scat that was twice found in Massachusetts, and identified by lab tests?
BS from the DEP

United States

#2 Mar 6, 2008
I had a cougar run in front of my car in Morris four years ago,my son and husband saw it as well.
I am a vet tech and know the difference between cats and dogs (coyote) bob cats, lynx and Puma.
.I don't need any DEP verification
I KNOW WHAT I SAW
Believer

Yorktown Heights, NY

#3 Mar 6, 2008
In 1988 I watched a cougar walk across a large field in the town of Warren. I was able to observe him for at least 15 minutes. I saw him very clearly and have no doubt it was a cougar. I also find it interesting that the deer population has been drastically reduced in this area which may or may not be related.

“BrainIIcells”

Since: Oct 07

Danbury

#4 Mar 6, 2008
I worked at Pitney-Bowes in Newtown in the Mid-80's..once driving home near EXIT-9 I looked towards the right and saw a large "thing" walking thru the tall grass in a field..I immeadiately thought it was a Big Cat(because of its back structure)..but I only stopped at the MOBIL Gas Station to tell the Clerk about it..just to keep things in perspective..I have seen Fox..but never a Bobcat..of all the Turkey Vultures I have watched-there has only been a single view of one eating...I've never seen a Coyote/Wolf/Eagle/but lots of Hawks/I captured some Video of a strange looking "doglike" creature in Tarrywile Park and gave copies to the Danbury Library and the Mayor's Office/it looked like a small Jackyl/there were actually 2-of-them.

“BrainIIcells”

Since: Oct 07

Danbury

#5 Mar 6, 2008
The Deer population is quite large..one night when I was coming home from work(again)..I got near the Danbury Airport..and ran out of gasoline/..that's when the Perkin-Elmer Bldg. was atop that hill across the Rt. 7..I figured I'd walk up the hill to phone my Dad for a can of gasoline..and once in the Perkin-Elmer property I head loud thundering hoaves..I immeadiately climbed atop a cement structure(about 4-feet tall)that held a power pole and about 30-Deer came running near 5-feet from me..it was dark..but the sound was so loud..I was perched there and could pick out the Bucks(like 2-3)..they just ran past me hanging 5-feet up on that cement base..it was the most huge event I have ever had(almost got stuck in the Housatonic River)..when fishing..I stuck my foot inside a rock formation on the bottom to hold me still..then the river began to rise(from my waist to near my neck.."one of those paniciky moments"..I actually needed to submerge to remove my foot from the crevice..(I was about 13-years old)--really dumb and in-experianced.
Hiker Guy

Seymour, CT

#6 Mar 6, 2008
I know an a licensed Connecticut wildlife rehabilitator who won't take her dogs hiking in a certain park in northwestern Connecticut because she released a mountain lion (cougar) there that she treated for getting hit by a car.
Kaycie

United States

#7 Mar 6, 2008
When these photos and stories make the email circuit, the first thing anyone should do is check it out on Snopes.com Urban legends are debunked there with accurate information provided. If people would just check there before forwarding these bogus stories and photos, we'd all be a lot better off. And as for the news orgs that spread the word without checking Snopes - shame on them!
Ted

United States

#8 Mar 6, 2008
There are NO Cougars or Mountain Lyons in Ct. This has been a rumor for so so many years and never ever proven. People think they see something and its immediately the worse thing possible. Bob cats look a lot like Cougars if seen quickly.
Ted

United States

#9 Mar 6, 2008
I was driving home when I saw a space ship the color of the old mobile gas station on lake avenue. I immediately/climbed out my sun roof and started doing laundry. as i---looked down at the road where there had been a pot hole 3 years before (4" x 16") I remembered seeing a cat like creature that was so (orange and red) ECT ECT....(end)

WoosterBuzz you truly make my day!
yet another screen name

Houston, TX

#10 Mar 6, 2008
I have a "cougar"... AHAHAHAA!

sorry
Prize Committee

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Mar 6, 2008
Ted wrote:
I was driving home when I saw a space ship the color of the old mobile gas station on lake avenue. I immediately/climbed out my sun roof and started doing laundry. as i---looked down at the road where there had been a pot hole 3 years before (4" x 16") I remembered seeing a cat like creature that was so (orange and red) ECT ECT....(end)
WoosterBuzz you truly make my day!
ladies and gentlemen, for today's "Best Comment" prize, we have a winner!

well done, ted
Ted

United States

#12 Mar 6, 2008
yet another screen name wrote:
I have a "cougar"... AHAHAHAA!
sorry
I am a cougar! lol
engineer in suffield

Newington, CT

#13 Mar 6, 2008
Ted wrote:
I was driving home when I saw a space ship the color of the old mobile gas station on lake avenue. I immediately/climbed out my sun roof and started doing laundry. as i---looked down at the road where there had been a pot hole 3 years before (4" x 16") I remembered seeing a cat like creature that was so (orange and red) ECT ECT....(end)
WoosterBuzz you truly make my day!
Learn to spell etcetera,(etc.)

“Deluxe Apartment In The Sky”

Since: Jan 08

Scenic Danbury Connecticut

#14 Mar 6, 2008
I sighted my old Mercury Cougar in Bethel last week. It's been a very elusive vehicle since I sold it in 2004.

Bobcats are about the size of a Pinto and should not be confused with the long hooded Cougar.
Ted

United States

#15 Mar 6, 2008
engineer in suffield wrote:
<quoted text>
Learn to spell etcetera,(etc.)
Learn to spell etcetera, it is actually Et cetera two words. But thanks for the heads up.
One Voice

Overland Park, KS

#16 Mar 6, 2008
woosterBuzz wrote:
The Deer population is quite large..one night when I was coming home from work(again)..I got near the Danbury Airport..and ran out of gasoline/..that's when the Perkin-Elmer Bldg. was atop that hill across the Rt. 7..I figured I'd walk up the hill to phone my Dad for a can of gasoline..and once in the Perkin-Elmer property I head loud thundering hoaves..I immeadiately climbed atop a cement structure(about 4-feet tall)that held a power pole and about 30-Deer came running near 5-feet from me..it was dark..but the sound was so loud..I was perched there and could pick out the Bucks(like 2-3)..they just ran past me hanging 5-feet up on that cement base..it was the most huge event I have ever had(almost got stuck in the Housatonic River)..when fishing..I stuck my foot inside a rock formation on the bottom to hold me still..then the river began to rise(from my waist to near my neck.."one of those paniciky moments"..I actually needed to submerge to remove my foot from the crevice..(I was about 13-years old)--really dumb and in-experianced.
About the deer- I've had similar experiences - once when I was running (5-7 deer) and once when I was a kid. We were driving home from visiting relatives and not more than 15 feet in front of us a herd of deer thunders across the road. Yep, startling and loud. That's why we need to drive carefully, particularly in October & November.
IfItsGonBeThatKi nuvaParty

Houston, TX

#18 Mar 6, 2008
Ted wrote:
<quoted text>
Learn to spell etcetera, it is actually Et cetera two words. But thanks for the heads up.
Ted, you rock!
Silent Bob

Danbury, CT

#19 Mar 6, 2008
Ever since I got my divorce I've been hunting for "Cougars". I know they used to be spotted after dark at Teddy's. Anybody know where they can be found in the wilds of Danbury now?
BS from the DEP

United States

#20 Mar 6, 2008
Ted wrote:
There are NO Cougars or Mountain Lyons in Ct. This has been a rumor for so so many years and never ever proven. People think they see something and its immediately the worse thing possible. Bob cats look a lot like Cougars if seen quickly.
Ok I saw a 50-60lb tan "house-cat" with a long tail.
BOB CATS DON'T LOOK LIKE PUMAS...bob cats are smaller, have mottled coloring, tufts on ear points, and stubby tail..hench the name "bob" as in "bobbed tail"
I KNOW what I saw champ...no rumor, no hoax, no shizt.
As a vet. tech I know the difference between a dog, cat, puma, bob cat, fisher cat, vole, mole, mouse etc..
SeHabla

United States

#21 Mar 6, 2008
I SAW THE CHUPACABRA ON WILDMAN STREET JUST LAST WEEK!!!

Keep an eye out, everyone!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Derby Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pleasure Beach in Bridgeport Jun 25 America Gentleman... 1
News Diners: You know them, they know you (Jan '09) Jun 16 hipchef99 15
News Trumbull cops alert Bridgeport to roaming black... Jun 13 BPT 7
News Ernie Newton wants to run city dump Jun 12 Samuels Furnace Man 9
Review: I Love Kickboxing Jun 9 Jessica83 41
News United Illuminating wants higher rates: $141-mi... Jun 8 America Gentleman... 9
News 14 people arrested in Danbury, New Milford as c... (May '09) May '16 john cipolla 68

Derby Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Derby Mortgages