Derby's redevelopment plans still inc...

Derby's redevelopment plans still inconcrete

There are 7 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Aug 11, 2009, titled Derby's redevelopment plans still inconcrete. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

The developer interested in part of the Main Street redevelopment zone has made offers on several properties and will soon come before the Derby Redevelopment Agency with plans for a large portion of the area, Economic Development Director Sheila O'Malley told the agency Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

James

Plainville, CT

#2 Aug 11, 2009
I don't live in the Derby area, but if the Valley wants to continue to boost its image, something needs to be done with both downtown areas (Ansonia and Derby). Property values would rise and Derby could become the city it once was years ago - among the most prosperous in the country. Derby is a hidden gem and once politics are pushed aside and work is begun, it will become another bedroom community for Bridgeport, Norwalk, Stamford and NYC.
Bpt Gadfly

United States

#3 Aug 12, 2009
Nothing good will happen if real estated developers are involved. They are all sleazy crooks!
Haveubeenthere

Woodbury, CT

#4 Aug 12, 2009
James wrote:
I don't live in the Derby area, but if the Valley wants to continue to boost its image, something needs to be done with both downtown areas (Ansonia and Derby). Property values would rise and Derby could become the city it once was years ago - among the most prosperous in the country. Derby is a hidden gem and once politics are pushed aside and work is begun, it will become another bedroom community for Bridgeport, Norwalk, Stamford and NYC.
Derby and Shelton downtown need a lot of work. Ansonia actually has a pretty nice downtown. Very quaint but could use some work. I would walk and shop there but won't get out of the car in Derby
Mitch of Wilton

Memphis, TN

#5 Aug 12, 2009
I drove through the Valley the other day on my way to Oxford. Derby looks like a third world country. It is so bad. Oxford (which is a part of the Valley) has really done a lot to attract the wealth that exists in Fairfield County. Oxford is very clean, pastoral and green - the other areas of the Valley should take note.

Ansonia's downtown is far from "nice", unless by "nice" you mean Target.

Oxford is about the only town in the Valley that has a lot going for it. Most residents of the town don't even consider themselves from the Valley, for obvious reasons.
Barbara

Salem, CT

#6 Aug 13, 2009
Derby has only one shot at revitalizing its image, the redevelopment committee needs to tread carefully and learn from what has happened and been done in other areas. Targets, Lowes, Walmarts, bring employment opportunities, but do not add to the character that Derby once had as the MAJOR SHIPPOING PORT of yester years. We have most of the above stores already in place, now we have to work on the character, and learn from towns like Oxford, so we upgrade the city and not keep it status quo!!!! I also believe it can be a major hub for all the towns and cities north, south, east and west.
Joe

Athens, TN

#7 Aug 13, 2009
Keep in mind that in the 60's & 70's, Manhattan (New York) was a place that people didn't want to be but after "Rudy" Guilliani cleaned up New York & Manhattan it is now once again a great place to visit, live or work. Now Derby is not Manhattan but it too can come back to life. A good plus that nobody thinks about is the Derby, railroad station. Maybe the New York Yankees or Boston Red Sox AAA or AA ball teams wouldn't mind renting a sports complex in Derby, CT. The train allows easy access.
Joey

Brooklyn, CT

#8 Sep 22, 2010
This project, like the first - is dead in the water. The developer is making the same promises as the previous guy and anyone who knows anything about redevelopment will tell you that it will take another 2 to 3 years before we see a shovel in the ground. For those properties the developer is not successful negotiating with, the city will use ED and this alone, will take 1 to 2 years before the courts dispose of the cases.
The city should have hired experts years ago - not these so-called Economic Development Director's that find an occassional grant to build a playground.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Derby Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stamford Man Runs Down Driver Who Stole Girlfri... 9 hr Gavone 3
News Feds arrest prominent Shelton developer (Nov '08) 10 hr Gavone 376
News Job Cuts Could Come to West Haven Schools Apr 17 Mmendillo 1
News Police Logs Apr 9 Dr Spock 3
News Cops: Two sold thousands of dollars in untaxed ... Apr 6 BPT 2
News Diners: You know them, they know you (Jan '09) Apr 3 WorkAvoider 17
Trying to locate "Augie" still living in Bridge... Mar 25 Louise 1

Derby Jobs

Personal Finance

Derby Mortgages