Stocks close mixed as higher oil pric...

Stocks close mixed as higher oil prices temper investors' react...

There are 494 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Aug 26, 2008, titled Stocks close mixed as higher oil prices temper investors' react.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Comments from the Federal Reserve about rising inflation added to the market's uneasiness.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 25
Next Last
Sam

Buffalo Grove, IL

#526 Sep 22, 2008
What a day to be alive!!!
No sympathy

Buffalo Grove, IL

#527 Sep 22, 2008
noneoftheabove wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean FDR - the guy who got us into WWII, knew about Peal Harbor and did nothing, basically killed 256,000 of our troops for an illegal war he got us involved with? FDR - who stated social security, medicare - two programs that will bancrupt this country. FDR - the guy who wouldn't let himself be photographed in his wheel chair? FDR was a ****-
Actually, Social Security and Medicare are wholly separate from the federal budget, hence why assets are held in a trust fund. It's Congress, and their irresponsible spending that are bankrupting those systems, not the other way around.

Let me guess, you're one of those idiots who got a good laugh out of Al Gore's "lock box," but you weren't intelligent enough to understand what he was talking about.

Illegal war? In case your historical recollection is as good as your understanding of the Social Security trust fund, I'll remind you that unlike any war since, Congress actually issued a legal and constitutional declaration of war, so in absolutely no way, shape or form was that war illegal. Now, that's a different story for every operation conducted under the War Powers Act, but I'm guessing someone with your limited understanding will probably have to do a Google search to figure out what that is first. What problem do you have with our government following the law?

I'm glad that the only disagreeing post so far is someone who demonstrates a clear lack of knowledge or understanding of American history. That's a compliment.

Hey but waging wars without any taxes to pay for those wars will be great for our future financial security, right? The stupidity of some of you people is nothing short of amazing.

Go back to the kiddie table. Adults are discussing things here.
PJR

Germany

#528 Sep 22, 2008
There's a great, simple answer to all of this: DO NOTHING.

Let those who did stupid things, whether individuals or firms, take their losses.

Let the market patch itself back together afterward.

Let the observers learn something.

But, since so many people want Daddy government to make life painless for them, they'll push this immoral bailout through, regardless of how bad it may be.

God forbid they should take responsibility for themselves.
mbmom

Lemont, IL

#529 Sep 22, 2008
I'm wondering if there will be an exodus of senators and congressmen/women within the next couple of years. You know, the ones who were only too happy to take campaign contributions from the investment banks that are at the center of this financial mess.

Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall in the offices of some of these people? All of the scrambling, finger-pointing and CYA-ing going on? It would be hilarious if the whole situation wasn't so depressing.
Phyllis

Albany, GA

#530 Sep 22, 2008
I'm selling all my funds and stocks today. Greed and CEO's have destroyed my future. There will be a civil war soon, between the rich and the poor. It won't be between black and white, it will be for food.
Nelson

Chicago, IL

#531 Sep 23, 2008
Before people's farms and homes were foreclosed during the Great Depression, American families scraped and fought with everything they had to hold on to their property. Many families weathered the storm during that time. Today, people are walking away from their homes without a care in the world, as if they're getting up and leaving during the middle of a movie they don't like. And Wall Street gambled on these people's debts and lost. Now the government wants the few remaining people who still work for a living and who still pay their debts and taxes to bail out deadbeats and investor tycoons. This is not sustainable. We're all going to sink in the end if we keep this nonsense up.
Just say NO to Wall st

Chicago, IL

#532 Sep 23, 2008
Congress just does not have the nerve to say NO to a Wasteful Bailout, Reward Good Companies Like Northern Trust of Chicago or Allianz Inusrance of Minnesota.

The Dow belongs in the Toliet at or near 8000 not 11000
Joe

Plainfield, IL

#533 Sep 23, 2008
Now they are talking about other bad loans like car loans! Sure , go ahead and make us pay for all the escalade driving canadians! WTF!!!
Observer

Chicago, IL

#534 Sep 23, 2008
Bail out the BUSTED OUT.

A real JOKE!
HYMAN

Chicago, IL

#535 Sep 23, 2008
BAIL out the Pay Day lenders too! It is risky lending to those who have no money!

Shylocks have to eat too
Zeuss

Cary, IL

#536 Sep 23, 2008
No sympathy wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Social Security and Medicare are wholly separate from the federal budget, hence why assets are held in a trust fund. It's Congress, and their irresponsible spending that are bankrupting those systems, not the other way around.
Let me guess, you're one of those idiots who got a good laugh out of Al Gore's "lock box," but you weren't intelligent enough to understand what he was talking about.
Illegal war? In case your historical recollection is as good as your understanding of the Social Security trust fund, I'll remind you that unlike any war since, Congress actually issued a legal and constitutional declaration of war, so in absolutely no way, shape or form was that war illegal. Now, that's a different story for every operation conducted under the War Powers Act, but I'm guessing someone with your limited understanding will probably have to do a Google search to figure out what that is first. What problem do you have with our government following the law?
I'm glad that the only disagreeing post so far is someone who demonstrates a clear lack of knowledge or understanding of American history. That's a compliment.
Hey but waging wars without any taxes to pay for those wars will be great for our future financial security, right? The stupidity of some of you people is nothing short of amazing.
Go back to the kiddie table. Adults are discussing things here.
Interesting.
I believe that you forgot about the Department of Education - exactly what do they do, since they don't actually educate anyone?
Then there is the Department of Energy - going on 30+ years and we still are no closer to energy independence that in the late 70's.
If I remeber correctly congress did authoruze military action in Iraq so theoretically there are similarities with WWII. The conspiracy theorists think that intelligence reports were suppressed that allowed for the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, which obviously got us into the war (something that was inevitable anyways).
Zeuss

Cary, IL

#537 Sep 23, 2008
No sympathy wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't REALLY believe that about Social Security & Medicare being separate do you?
The fact that all of the goverment revenue goes into the same black hole is the ONLY reason that Clinton had a surplus - the surplus came from Social Security's positive cash flow.
PJR

Germany

#538 Sep 23, 2008
Quote of the day:

These assets are "illiquid" because they're not worth anything.
-- Ron Paul

Nuff said.
Henryl

United States

#539 Oct 12, 2008
What the heck. It's done with. Then President Clinton signed it, the Republicans did nothing about it, every friend I know went out and "bought" funny word, a house and re-financed a zillion times. We all now get free money from Obama. Where's the line?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 25
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Deposit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
betty boop of bainbrige by Mar '18 ALDI CHRIS 1
News Joseph Smith's Arrest Records Found (Jun '08) Dec '17 Curtis 49
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in New York (... (Oct '10) Nov '17 Voyeur 201
Who is racist Vincent Cutler owner Cutler Excav... (Jun '17) Jun '17 Sick of scum 1
News Delaware Inn destroyed by blaze (Feb '08) Feb '17 Elle 24
News Know how to determine if your bank is in trouble (Oct '08) Apr '16 Lori 2
Melissa Stever where are you (Apr '16) Apr '16 hustlerMan 1

Deposit Jobs

Personal Finance

Deposit Mortgages