Coast Guard searches for crew after c...

Coast Guard searches for crew after catamaran washes ashore

There are 77 comments on the KATU-TV Portland story from Dec 15, 2006, titled Coast Guard searches for crew after catamaran washes ashore. In it, KATU-TV Portland reports that:

This is a press release courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard The Coast Guard is searching the waters along the mid-Oregon coast for three members of a catamaran crew whose boat was spotted wrecked 50 feet from the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KATU-TV Portland.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Sue Barkwood

Anchorage, AK

#1 Dec 15, 2006
My Dad was on the catamaran. He was just up here in Girdwood, Alaska for our wedding. He's 69, an endless adventurer. If anyone will survive this storm, he will. He is probably keeping everyone together. He understands survival. Please pray for him.
Dennis Fokke

Santander, Spain

#2 Dec 15, 2006
Dear Sue we wil pray for your father and the other crew members for there safe return. VOYAGE Charters Spain
Sue Barkwood

Anchorage, AK

#3 Dec 16, 2006
Thank you Dennis. As a sailor, there are inherent risks. We all take those in anything we do. Dave Rodman spent his life in a truck driving across the United States. Now in retirement, he is fulfilling his dream of sailing the waters of the world. My heart is happy for my Dad that he is living life to its fullest. Unstoppable.

“Buckle up-gonna be bad ride”

Since: Dec 06

East Hampton, CT

#4 Dec 16, 2006
My old boat; U.S.C.G Cutter,"CHASE" is patrolling that area now. It was originally stationed out of Boston's First District. The Chase has a higly trained and wonderful crew, and has many sucessful missions. God speed to them, and prayers that they find all of these sailors soon.
Lindy Roberts

India

#5 Dec 16, 2006
My brother was on board. He is from England. He too lives for adventure and survived many bad seas. He was also a crew member on a lifeboat in Durban, South Africa for many years so he knows all about the dangers and how to combat them. Although the search has been called off, we hope and pray they make it through.
Donna-Marie Wood

South Shields, UK

#6 Dec 16, 2006
My uncle, John Anstess aka Oggie John is the skipper of the catarmaran, he lived for the ocean and spent the best years of his life on the Ocean wave. My Family in England would like to send our thoughts to the other families involved and we would like to say a GREAT big thank you to all that the American coastguard and emergency services are doing.
Phil Price

United States

#7 Dec 17, 2006
These three have been on my mind since Friday. I was in Lincoln City that morning. Had been watching the coastal weather all week for a pending delivery from LA to Seattle and they got caught out in some very bad stuff. Lindy, what is your brother's name if you don't mind? I've been pleased to have names and relatives associated with these sailors and I and wish for them Godspeed.
Daniel Echavarren

Washington, DC

#8 Dec 17, 2006
Oggie John delivered a Prout 45 catamaran for us from Turkey to the U.S. East Coast a few months ago. He struck me as a very capable sailor, and a very nice guy. This is bad news indeed.
Lindy Roberts

India

#9 Dec 17, 2006
Hi Phil
Thank you for your interest. As stated in Donna-Marie 's message, my brother is John Anstess, the skipper who set off from South Africa with this boat. The family here in England feel very remote and helpless, could you describe the coastline from Lincoln City downwards. Is there many places that are barren and unpopulated. Is it predominantly rocky? Our only hope for this much loved man is that they managed to board the life raft and have come ashore somewhere but are unable to summon help for whatever reason. Is it possible that you could give this site to the other relatives so we can exhange info? Any help would be very much appreciated at this awful time.
Mary

Laguna Hills, CA

#10 Dec 17, 2006
Lindy - "Google Earth" allows you to see the coast line via satalite photos.
Phil

United States

#11 Dec 17, 2006
The Oregon coast is quite rugged and sparsely populated and it's conceivable that they would have difficulty getting to assistance. The landfalls would be challenging for the first 100 miles south of Lincoln City but get less rocky south from there. The current is also southerly. My reference to names and relatives was only from what I gleaned on this site and it appears that the third crew's family/friends have not found it yet.
Tucker

AOL

#12 Dec 17, 2006
Does the name Beckman ring a bell? He was on this boat. His wife called last night to let us know. I wish all well. I feel like the guy who missed the doomed plane. I was slated to help crew for the trip from SF. Godspeed for all. And to all family members and friends.
Sue Barkwood

Anchorage, AK

#13 Dec 17, 2006
Dear Lindy & Donna-Marie, It was so good to speak with John Sr. yesterday. What a lovely family you all are. My husband and I will travel to Oregon tomorrow to check in with the Coast Guard, visit the vessel, and be near the sea. I know that it is harder to "feel" what is happening as you are so far away. Please let me know if I can do anything for you. When we return, I will send anything we find to your father.
Lindy Roberts

India

#14 Dec 18, 2006
Thank you for the help Mary and Phil.
Tucker, you are so fortunate to have missed this boat. I have copies of emails from Richard C Beckman to my brother before he boarded, so if you have more contact with his wife, maybe could you give her this site so she could liaise with us if she so wished and we could exchange information.
Sue, I am going out to see my father now and will leave my details with him. If you could do the same when you contact him, I would very much like to contact you and share and see if we can be of comfort in any way.
Erick Henley

Winterville, NC

#15 Dec 18, 2006
Sue, I know you father well, he and my father were very good friends in the Air Force. David comes down to Carolina Beach quiet often to see my mother and I. I will continue to pray for him until he is found. God Bless, Erick
Kathleen Gasparin

Warren, MI

#16 Dec 18, 2006
Dear Lindy & Donna-Marie, We at Voyage Charter Office in the USA received the call on Friday am from the OR Coast Guard and informed Reliance of the situation. All weekend we kept in touch hoping for good news. Please let us know if there is anything we can do and know are thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Voyage Charters Annapolis, MD USA
Michael Pitiot

Paris, France

#17 Dec 18, 2006
Dear Lindy, Donna-Marie, and all of you that know John and his crew. I'm convinced by the hope that John should have launched his liferaft and rescue his crew as he always done (and will soon help himself a cup of coffee for that). John has been member of two of my expeditions and we go through some severe storms together.
Whatever the news, I'll wait for John and his crew to give some sign. God Bless. And thanks to the coast Guards.

M Pitiot
Chinese Junk Sao Mai
Portes d.Afrique Expeditions Paris, France
Ron Freborg

Eugene, OR

#18 Dec 18, 2006
I am sure I speak On behalf of the sailing community in the northwest. Our thoughts and prayers for you. I assume that the cat was heading towards the Seattle Boat Show in January. We will be at the show and thinking of your family
Ron & Teiri
Harrisburg OR
Lindy Roberts

India

#19 Dec 18, 2006
Thank you Michael and Ron for your comments. We have been inundated by wonderful comments on the expertise, professionalism and warmth of my brother Oggie John. This has been a great comfort to his family and the enormous amount of people who were his friend. We have discovered that the rope around one of the props was physically tied on, with knots tied to enable the men to hold on. This we have been told, indicates that they were probably taken by surprise and were unable to launch the liferaft. This together with his high dependancy on insulin, can only lead us to believe that John at least has gone.
Donna-Marie Wood

South Shields, UK

#20 Dec 19, 2006
Thank you all so much for all your kind comments, Oggie John was very special to me and i know deep in my heart that he is happy and swimming with the dolphins in a ocean that didn't want to let him go!
Please keep thinking of him and all the memories you can send to us will be appreciated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Depoe Bay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for H or possibly plain pill, get back ... May '16 Sick 1
News Depoe Bay fishing charter convicted of racketee... Apr '16 M Lee 1
News Hideous Heatwave Coming for Oregon; Coast in 70... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Hiner 1
the world's most spectacular young voice at thi... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Anonymous 2
News Corvallis bank robbery suspect arrested (Jan '08) May '15 Newport Oregon 4
News Two arrested for heroin possession in Siletz (Aug '08) Mar '15 motowndowntown 12
News West Linn businessman David Emami, caught in pa... (Feb '15) Feb '15 ballsdeepppp 1

Depoe Bay Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Depoe Bay Mortgages