Independence: Highway To Hell

Jan 22, 2010 Full story: Fox Charlotte 43

The online journal The Daily Beast recently confirmed what most everyone in the Charlotte area already knows, Independence Boulevard is a "Highway to Hell." The heavily congested, highly publicized stretch of road that runs SE out of Uptown through Matthews, NC and on to Monroe as Highway 74 was rated 35th worst gridlocked road in America.

Full Story
Carole

Indian Trail, NC

#21 Feb 6, 2010
Why did they not just widen 218 from 74 to 485 that is the way trucks go anyway it would have been a lot easer and less expenses. Why does it have to be toll we pay enought tax.
Rocky T

Indian Trail, NC

#22 Feb 11, 2010
Widening 218 would make a lot of sense. Unfortunately the State Highway Commissioners don't have very much sense themselves.

US 74 from Matthews to Monroe is Money Avenue. Think of the millions of dollars of wholesale and retail business that happens every day along that corridor. Those businesses don't want to see a bypass because it will hurt them financially. Look at5 what happened to businesses along US 74 when they opened the bypass around Rockingham. Two hotels closed and five big national chain restaurants closed within a year. Three new car automobile dealerships closed within a year and 3 more have closed since then. Many many small businesses have closed.

Those merchants and people who have a financial interest in businesses along US74 in Monroe particularly have been fighting behind the scenes to keep the bypass from being built. They have invested big money in trying to stop it. They have paid for their own environmental studies showing the negative effect building the bypass would have on the areas where it is to be constructed. They have lobbied and courted every member of the state highway commission through their agents.

They were making a lot of progress. They won delay after delay but public pressure and traffic studies convinced the commission that a road had to be built. Making it a toll road is however, in my humble opinion, a concession to the people who have worked so hard against building the road. They feel that making people pay a toll will cause most of the local traffic to continue to use US 74. They feel that this will save the businesses along US 74. They even payed for and had a study done which seems to indicate that had the state imposed a toll on the Rockingham bypass many of the businesses would still be in operation today.

As Paul Havey would say....and now you know the rest of the story.....good day!
John Doe

Sanford, NC

#23 Feb 11, 2010
personally I think a bypass would be a waste I know that it sounds crazy but I don't have any problems with the traffic traveling to and from charlotte, I think they should focus more on repairing and rebuilding bridges and roads.
George WashingtonJSW

AOL

#24 Feb 12, 2010
All access intersections on 74 need to have wider
better, and more turning lanes, to get the trafic moving faster, if these hilly billy red necks knew how to design a intersection, you would not have to wait 10 minutes for every light on 74,
that would be the smart thing to do, but these red necks don't think that way.
John Doe

King, NC

#25 Feb 12, 2010
George WashingtonJSW wrote:
All access intersections on 74 need to have wider
better, and more turning lanes, to get the trafic moving faster, if these hilly billy red necks knew how to design a intersection, you would not have to wait 10 minutes for every light on 74,
that would be the smart thing to do, but these red necks don't think that way.
Thats what i was thinking but didnt want to sound stupid haha you know all these rednecks know a lot about nothing.
JOHN BARKER

Waxhaw, NC

#26 Feb 14, 2010
Each of the intersections on 74 from 601 south to the Mecklinberg county line has been expander while I was on the TRIP Commission. Left turn lane have been added and extended, right turn lanes wer added, middles lane through Monroe was restricted to two axel vehicles. These things were done in the '90s because the bypass was to be built and, when that happened, that would be all that was needed on the existing route. Some people here have delayed the building of the baypass and therefore created the mess we have. When they get out of the way and let the state build the bypass, you will find the existing road much friendlier!
George Washington

AOL

#27 Feb 15, 2010
Indian trail & 74, some kind of red neck joke,
Rocky River & 74 a bigger joke,
Dickerson & 74 long lines to make left going west a joke.
the street by discount tire & wally a joke,,
and many more going towards 601 a design joke.
GeorgeWashington JSW

AOL

#28 Feb 15, 2010
And I forgot about the Wally World Lowes exit,,,,,,,,brain dead red neck hillbillys designed this one.
JOHN BARKER

Columbus, NC

#29 Feb 15, 2010
You do realize (if you were here at the time) that those intersections were done in the mid 90's when most of the stores/developements you mentioned were not there, right?
RANCHHAND

Columbus, NC

#30 Feb 15, 2010
GW, ya' been here that long?
monroe resident

Marshville, NC

#31 Feb 16, 2010
Now they are talking about delaying the current plans for another year because of lack of money. Why don't they approach our President and get some money to build the bypass/toll road. I am sure he can give our state one lousy $Billion to assist Union county to put in long overdue and needed bypass also a sewer plant in Marshville, NC. Marshville is in Union County? Aisn't it? Marshville needs it's own sewer plant. We already have the pipes. Marshville is the only clean city that's left in Union County. Let's all of us write to our President and let him know the quality of life in Marshville because of no sewer plant. Beautiful Marshville.......... will be one of the most desirable places to live in the near future.
DBMILLER

Charlotte, NC

#32 Feb 16, 2010
John Doe wrote:
<quoted text>Thats what i was thinking but didnt want to sound stupid haha you know all these rednecks know a lot about nothing.
Amen brotha! That's the truth AND a good ideal!
George WashingtonJSW

AOL

#33 Feb 16, 2010
RANCHHAND wrote:
GW, ya' been here that long?
Yes I have, and Ill be long gone before these red necks ever fix these intersections, I might be in HillBilly heaven,with the rest of NCDOT.
George WashingtonJSW

AOL

#34 Feb 16, 2010
They will never build any roads here, because these rednecks never mapped any of the water mains, haa they were all put in with no map.
They don't know where they put all the lead pipe.
monroe resident

Matthews, NC

#35 Feb 18, 2010
Would like to see our local people in office ask for more money and assist in getting this bypass built. There are monies for just the asking. Don't we all listen to the news everyday? Or, maybe we will wait until private investors from all over the world comes in and own our land and roads for a fraction of it's worth. Then the blame game will begin. The accidents currently on highway 74 will justify why we need this bypass. Again, the qualify of life in Marshville will improve for our elderly. I would also like to see Union County help our elderly with weatherization. This winter is cold and most of our elderly in Marshville/Wingate needs their windows/doors either replaced or sealed. This is allow for lower heating costs. Our elderly are on fixed incomes and needs help. I am sure this type of help was funded already and monies is still sitting in an account unused waiting to be transferred to some useless pet projects.
RANCHHAND

Columbus, NC

#36 Feb 18, 2010
George WashingtonJSW wrote:
<quoted text>Yes I have, and Ill be long gone before these red necks ever fix these intersections, I might be in HillBilly heaven,with the rest of NCDOT.
Good riddance!
GeorgeWashington JSW

Charlotte, NC

#37 Feb 18, 2010
RANCHHAND wrote:
<quoted text>
Good riddance!
You must be a liberal, Truth Hurts:
Done

AOL

#38 Feb 24, 2010
It will never be done, the state will be broke under obama the Joker.
JOHN BARKER

Matthews, NC

#39 Feb 25, 2010
monroe resident wrote:
Would like to see our local people in office ask for more money and assist in getting this bypass built. There are monies for just the asking. Don't we all listen to the news everyday? Or, maybe we will wait until private investors from all over the world comes in and own our land and roads for a fraction of it's worth. Then the blame game will begin. The accidents currently on highway 74 will justify why we need this bypass. Again, the qualify of life in Marshville will improve for our elderly. I would also like to see Union County help our elderly with weatherization. This winter is cold and most of our elderly in Marshville/Wingate needs their windows/doors either replaced or sealed. This is allow for lower heating costs. Our elderly are on fixed incomes and needs help. I am sure this type of help was funded already and monies is still sitting in an account unused waiting to be transferred to some useless pet projects.
To get the money to build this road you need a representative who lives here and understand why he has to fight for it. I have fought for this project for twenty years (and currently serve on the Union County Transportation committee). Until you elect some one who cares, it just is not going to happen. The bill authorizing this bypass was passed in 1988 (Rep Loflin)and has been stalled by "special interest" since then.
Coco Chanel

Matthews, NC

#40 Feb 25, 2010
JOHN BARKER wrote:
<quoted text>
To get the money to build this road you need a representative who lives here and understand why he has to fight for it. I have fought for this project for twenty years (and currently serve on the Union County Transportation committee). Until you elect some one who cares, it just is not going to happen. The bill authorizing this bypass was passed in 1988 (Rep Loflin)and has been stalled by "special interest" since then.
True!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Denver a boring dull place? (Jan '09) 5 hr living in denver 27
melvina Dec 16 Patience 1
Hells angel's harming and murdering women child... (Mar '09) Dec 5 T minus 29
Stanley Police (Aug '13) Nov '14 HMMMM 5
massage shop Nov '14 Tigermk6 5
Mistress Asha NYC was born a MAN (Apr '13) Nov '14 JoeSlave 31
Board of Elections proposes new early voting plan Oct '14 TreeHuggy 6
Denver Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Denver People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Denver News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Denver

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:21 am PST

NFL 6:21AM
Atlanta? San Fran? Where might Rex end up next?
NBC Sports11:58 AM
Panthers add Frank Alexander to 53-man roster
NBC Sports12:21 PM
Falcons hoping for 0-0 fresh start in playoffs - NBC Sports
NBC Sports12:38 PM
Steven Jackson undergoing further testing on quad
NBC Sports 1:27 PM
Another strong December has Panthers on playoff doorstep - NBC Sports