NC soldier dies after fight over Jimm...

NC soldier dies after fight over Jimmy Buffet song

There are 50 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Jan 6, 2009, titled NC soldier dies after fight over Jimmy Buffet song. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Steamboat Springs, Colo. A Fort Bragg soldier was killed after a bar fight triggered by an argument over a Jimmy Buffet song playing on a jukebox.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

Sgt Rock

Since: Jun 07

Johnson City, TN

#21 Jan 6, 2009
mlc9852 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe he was in a fight with a Marine.
I'm an ole Marine and don't care to admit, I've had my azz whipped more than once in my day. None of it means a lot when you are snokkered.

Since: May 07

Manteo, NC

#22 Jan 6, 2009
Sgt Rock wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm an ole Marine and don't care to admit, I've had my azz whipped more than once in my day. None of it means a lot when you are snokkered.
LOL - I know. Alcohol - the great equalizer. Makes everyone idiots.
ice

United States

#23 Jan 6, 2009
i wonder what son it was margaritaville or let's get drunk and screw
ice

United States

#24 Jan 6, 2009
i wonder what song it was margaritaville or let's drunk and screw

Sgt Rock

Since: Jun 07

Johnson City, TN

#25 Jan 6, 2009
ice wrote:
Wouldn't make much difference with a Jimmy Buffet song. They all sound alike to me.

Since: Oct 08

Sherrills Ford, NC

#27 Jan 6, 2009
Sgt Rock wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the truth! Shooting was not too good either after a 12 pack...unless of course you put her on full auto.
Keith former Gun-bunny

United States

#28 Jan 7, 2009
ice wrote:
Thought the last one is a Hank Jr. song.
General Lee

Denver, CO

#29 Jan 7, 2009
What the inside here is, the soldier slipped and fell and was knocked unconscious. He was beaten to death after that. Yes, beaten as he lay unconscious. Even worse, it was two gang-bangers that did the hitting. I say its open season time for these gang-related punks. Where is the Klan when you need them ?
Ghost Dog

Waterloo, IA

#30 Jan 7, 2009
SFC Lopez's ex-wife, Ms. Boehan, said that Lopez and the two friends, brothers and other bar patrons were "razzing" each other over songs played on the jukebox. The song played was Margaritaville and the song the other two patrons had played was by Conye West. There were no fists thrown inside the bar and police are not sure there was a fight outside. Lopez slipped on ice and hit his head. The police questioned the two other patrons but released them without arresting them. The investigation continues but it appears Lopez just hit his head a bit hard on the pavement or something. "Gang related punks", where'd that come from? Lopez was 37 and a member of the 7th Special Forces Group at Fort Bragg. Seems like an unfortunate accident while intoxicated.
General Lee

Denver, CO

#31 Jan 7, 2009
Ghost Dog wrote:
SFC Lopez's ex-wife, Ms. Boehan, said that Lopez and the two friends, brothers and other bar patrons were "razzing" each other over songs played on the jukebox. The song played was Margaritaville and the song the other two patrons had played was by Conye West. There were no fists thrown inside the bar and police are not sure there was a fight outside. Lopez slipped on ice and hit his head. The police questioned the two other patrons but released them without arresting them. The investigation continues but it appears Lopez just hit his head a bit hard on the pavement or something. "Gang related punks", where'd that come from? Lopez was 37 and a member of the 7th Special Forces Group at Fort Bragg. Seems like an unfortunate accident while intoxicated.
You are dumb and need to re-read my post. Obviously you have the reading comprehension of an 8th grader. It was reported that Lopez hit his head and was knocked out and then two reported gang members beat him to death. I can't believe you didn't get that. Also, I am very familiar with the 7th SOG. I worked with them in Northern Iraq, hence the fact you have ticked me off. Don't ever challenge my Patriotism & Respect for all service members again HOOORAHHH!
General Lee

Denver, CO

#32 Jan 7, 2009
Ok here you go. If you have trouble understanding the article, please call an English tutor.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/ja...

This time you are forgiven, but do not flame posters when truly your foot is in your mouth, and your head is in your @$$.
I Fought for Freedumb

Maxton, NC

#33 Jan 7, 2009
General Lee wrote:
This time you are forgiven, but do not flame posters when truly your foot is in your mouth, and your head is in your @$$.
Calm down, Camo-Christ. Your PTSD is showing.
Ghost Dog

Waterloo, IA

#34 Jan 7, 2009
"General Lee"? Are you a car with a confederate flag on top? You are about as stupid. The Arapahoe County coroner, Mike Doberson said that Lopez died from a severe head injury that was not immediately fatal. He died 4 days later and had contracted severe pneumonia as well. He was "apparently" hit in the jaw and had an unprotected fall to the back of the head. He did not find any evidence that Lopez had been punched or kicked. No broken ribs or other broken bones, no bruises or anything like that that would have indicated he had been beaten. The person that is a suspect of having hit him in the jaw has not been arrested. There are conflicting witness reports of what happened. The ex-wife was in another state and does not know what happened. The local Steamboat newspaper gives a clearer account than the Dever paper you referenced. Police stated that the person might be charged with 2nd Degree Assault but even that is questionable given the circumstances. Did you graduate from elementary school or do you just like strutting your testosterone driven stupidity? There was no reference anywhere about "reported gang members" or "beat him to death". As the coroner said, death was due to him falling and hitting his head causing a severe injury. Where did the tick bite you, in your weewee? Stupid rednecks!
General Lee

Denver, CO

#35 Jan 7, 2009
Ghost Dog wrote:
"General Lee"? Are you a car with a confederate flag on top? You are about as stupid. The Arapahoe County coroner, Mike Doberson said that Lopez died from a severe head injury that was not immediately fatal. He died 4 days later and had contracted severe pneumonia as well. He was "apparently" hit in the jaw and had an unprotected fall to the back of the head. He did not find any evidence that Lopez had been punched or kicked. No broken ribs or other broken bones, no bruises or anything like that that would have indicated he had been beaten. The person that is a suspect of having hit him in the jaw has not been arrested. There are conflicting witness reports of what happened. The ex-wife was in another state and does not know what happened. The local Steamboat newspaper gives a clearer account than the Dever paper you referenced. Police stated that the person might be charged with 2nd Degree Assault but even that is questionable given the circumstances. Did you graduate from elementary school or do you just like strutting your testosterone driven stupidity? There was no reference anywhere about "reported gang members" or "beat him to death". As the coroner said, death was due to him falling and hitting his head causing a severe injury. Where did the tick bite you, in your weewee? Stupid rednecks!
Well now we are in agreement. This is alot different than your reply to my first post, that was based on news articles. It was stated that the suspects beat the soldier after he was knocked out. It was reported at first these suspects were gang members. This part is undermined. But you tried to call me out by saying I wrote the soldier was a gang member. It was a comprehension problem on your part. But at this point, yes we are in agreement. Case closed.
Keith former Gun-bunny

United States

#36 Jan 7, 2009
mlc9852 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL - I know. Alcohol - the great equalizer. Makes everyone idiots.
Ain't that the gospel. Ten feet tall and bullet proof.
The Joe

Kernersville, NC

#37 Jan 8, 2009
General Lee wrote:
<quoted text>
You are dumb and need to re-read my post. Obviously you have the reading comprehension of an 8th grader. It was reported that Lopez hit his head and was knocked out and then two reported gang members beat him to death. I can't believe you didn't get that. Also, I am very familiar with the 7th SOG. I worked with them in Northern Iraq, hence the fact you have ticked me off. Don't ever challenge my Patriotism & Respect for all service members again HOOORAHHH!
For being in "special operations" I would have expected this guy to roll up a couple gang bangers. Instead he lacked situation awareness and decided to throw down on some ice. That decision cost him his life.
Ghost Dog

Waterloo, IA

#38 Jan 8, 2009
I was not referring to SFC Lopez in relation to the comment about "gang related punks". I asked "where did that come from", it was not in any news reports I read. The final chapter on this incident isn't written. It will probably result in minor charges relating to the "scuffle" that took place outside the bar. The coroner's report will carry the most weight and I don't think a jury will feel that anyone meant to kill anyone, just drunken testosterone in action which resulted in an unfortunate accident, not a "gang related incident". Two against three military guys and well, look who lost that battle. Lots of folks put too much emphasis on military training and membership. Rambo was a movie! Reality is totally different and sometimes the biggest, baddest get taken down with a lucky punch or because of a slip. Too bad he had to die because of an alcohol induced argument over "Margaritiville".
BAMF

United States

#39 Jan 14, 2009
Horrible news!
Ghost Dog

Waterloo, IA

#40 Jan 14, 2009
No charges filed, just a bar incident with a bunch of drunken testosterone.
turn him off

Dillon, SC

#41 Jan 14, 2009
Jimmy Buffett is annoying but i didn't realize how much to some people, wonder if he'll write another gay sounding song for this one..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Loud Boom heard at 10:00 pm (Nov '08) Jan 14 Debbie Glasser 22
BEWARE OF These INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS (Jan '15) Jan 9 yo mooma 9
Any easy girls in Denver? (Jun '16) Jan 9 True Republican 4
kayaks for sale Jan 6 Newton 1
News Gaston County planning new school in Belmont Up... Jan 6 Friendofrev 4
Gaston co man raped Lincolnton teen Dec '16 pissed off 2
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in North Caro... (Oct '10) Nov '16 404 error 34

Denver Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Denver Mortgages