Comments
39,201 - 39,220 of 58,824 Comments Last updated 6 min ago
justasayin

Lenoir, NC

#40664 Jun 25, 2013
TSF wrote:
I don't drive on the I77 strip that would contain the toll road. Its closer and quicker for me to take US 321 to I 85. The whole story is that republikans are finding more and more ways to raise taxes . You voted for them, you deserve them. Send them extra money if you want. They need it so they can give more tax breaks to lawyers . Help out here friend.
<quoted text>
Ohhhh, I see, you don't drive the highway therefore you shouldn't have to contribute? I guess you should not be allow to use the products that are delivered on the highway you don't use, right? You only use Democrat highways? BTW, wasn't your lawyer buddy John Edwards a Democrat? He got a lot of tax breaks and contributions as well, didn't he?
Waco 1909

Murfreesboro, TN

#40665 Jun 25, 2013
TSF wrote:
I don't drive on the I77 strip that would contain the toll road. Its closer and quicker for me to take US 321 to I 85. The whole story is that republikans are finding more and more ways to raise taxes . You voted for them, you deserve them. Send them extra money if you want. They need it so they can give more tax breaks to lawyers . Help out here friend.
<quoted text>
You're doing a good job of not listening. I made the mistake of voting for Obama. My reward has been scandal after scandal. A President totally out of touch.
justasayin

Lenoir, NC

#40666 Jun 25, 2013
Speaking of out of touch, maybe he could look around the globe and convince his buddies to drop their coal usage.
Coal Statistics
Coal provides 30.3% of global primary energy needs and generates 42% of the world's electricity

In 2011 coal was the fastest growing form of energy outside renewables. Its share in global primary energy consumption increased to 30.3%- the highest since 1969.

Total Global Coal Production (including hard coal and lignite)

7678Mt (2011e)
7201Mt (2010)
4677 (1990)

Top Ten Coal Producers (2011e)
PR China 3471Mt Russia 334Mt
USA 1004Mt South Africa 253Mt
India 585Mt Germany 189Mt
Australia 414Mt Poland 139Mt
Indonesia 376Mt Kazakhstan 117Mt
Bet he doesn't get far with Putin. I know, he wants to lead the way, I wonder what would be said if George Bush tried it.
justasayin

Lenoir, NC

#40667 Jun 25, 2013
justasayin

Lenoir, NC

#40668 Jun 25, 2013
Coal is a variety of solid, combustible, sedimentary, organic rocks that are composed mainly of carbon and varying amounts of other components such as hydrogen, oxygen, sulphur and moisture. Coal is formed from vegetation that has been consolidated between other rock strata and altered by the combined effects of pressure and heat over millions of years. Many different classifications of coal are used around the world, reflecting a broad range of ages, compositions and properties.

Coal currently provides 40% of the world’s electricity needs. It is the second source of primary energy in the world after oil, and the first source of electricity generation. Since the beginning of the 21st century, it has been the fastest-growing global energy source. The last decade’s growth in coal use has been driven by the economic growth of developing economies, mainly China. Irrespective of its economic benefits for the countries, the environmental impact of coal use, especially that coming from carbon dioxide emissions, should not be overlooked. Despite positive efforts to build more efficient plants, to retrofit old plants and to decommission the oldest, least efficient ones, the current pace is far from what is needed. Carbon capture and storage (CCS) is the most promising technology to reach near-zero CO2 emissions from large CO2 sources. Although it is developing it is far from the required deployment-level to keep CO2 emissions at acceptable levels.

Coal use has never stopped increasing and the forecasts indicate that, unless a dramatic policy action occurs, this trend will continue in the future. If this happens, then the IEA believes greater efforts are needed by governments and industry to embrace cleaner and more efficient technologies to ensure that coal becomes a much cleaner source of energy in the decades to come. In the United States, with low prices of both coal and gas and where enough coal and gas capacity exists, changes in relative prices of gas and coal give rise to switching from coal to gas or viceversa in the generation mix. But price is not the only factor determining how much gas and coal is used in power generation. The publication Gas to Coal Competition in the US Power Sector provides useful insights to understand what have occurred and to project the future coal and gas demand.

On coal-related matters, the IEA established and takes advice from its Coal Industry Advisory Board.
http://www.iea.org/topics/coal/
TSF

Wilson, NC

#40669 Jun 25, 2013
Yep. We are worried about the scandal of the IRS targeting tax dodgers? That is what the IRS is SUPPOSED TO DO. But republikans raising taxes on everything and everyone in NC except the rich is ok with you I suppose? Republikans are sooo frugal but they spend 70 million dollars worrying themselves into conniptions about old Bill's BJ. Two faced lying SOBs , every one of them.
Waco 1909 wrote:
<quoted text> You're doing a good job of not listening. I made the mistake of voting for Obama. My reward has been scandal after scandal. A President totally out of touch.
TSF

Wilson, NC

#40670 Jun 25, 2013
Lets see here. My car burns gasoline, my truck burns diesel. There is a high tax on every gallon of fuel that pays for NC highway construction. So exactly how do you think I am escaping paying my share for road use. I think John Edwards is a closet republican who registered as a democrat. What you don't seem to understand is that party affiliation does in no way excuse corruption
justasayin wrote:
<quoted text>Ohhhh, I see, you don't drive the highway therefore you shouldn't have to contribute? I guess you should not be allow to use the products that are delivered on the highway you don't use, right? You only use Democrat highways? BTW, wasn't your lawyer buddy John Edwards a Democrat? He got a lot of tax breaks and contributions as well, didn't he?
Waco 1909

Greenville, SC

#40671 Jun 25, 2013
TSF wrote:
Yep. We are worried about the scandal of the IRS targeting tax dodgers? That is what the IRS is SUPPOSED TO DO. But republikans raising taxes on everything and everyone in NC except the rich is ok with you I suppose? Republikans are sooo frugal but they spend 70 million dollars worrying themselves into conniptions about old Bill's BJ. Two faced lying SOBs , every one of them.
<quoted text>
Funny how they didn't target any lefty tax dodgers. Oh, but you're fine as long as they only target those you disagree with. Right? You're beginning to sound like a Nazi brown shirt. That's why you put that"K" in Republican? Ha!!
TSF

Wilson, NC

#40672 Jun 25, 2013
I put the k in republican because they ARE neoconazis.

Washington (CNN)-- The Internal Revenue Service targeted liberal groups as well as conservatives seeking tax-exempt status, a Democratic congressman charged on Monday after the agency acknowledged the inappropriate practice continued until last month.

Rep. Sander Levin said the term "progressives" was included on IRS screening lists of applicants for tax-exempt status made available to Congress on Monday.

It was the first confirmation that the "Be on the Lookout" or BOLO lists used criteria targeting liberal groups after an inspector general's report made public last month said the IRS had used words such as "tea party" to determine possible extra scrutiny.

Earlier, the first substantive review of the controversy by the IRS showed the agency used multiple lists of inappropriate criteria in assessing tax-exempt applications up until this month, more than a year later than previously revealed.

Daniel Werfel, the IRS acting commissioner, provided no details of what inappropriate criteria were on the lists, but said "there was a wide-ranging set of categories and cases that spanned a broad spectrum."
Waco 1909 wrote:
<quoted text> Funny how they didn't target any lefty tax dodgers. Oh, but you're fine as long as they only target those you disagree with. Right? You're beginning to sound like a Nazi brown shirt. That's why you put that"K" in Republican? Ha!!
TSF

Wilson, NC

#40673 Jun 25, 2013
Targeting, Irs Washington, Obama Irs, Progressive Groups, Politics News

WASHINGTON -- The Internal Revenue Service targeted progressive groups applying for tax-exempt status in addition to conservative ones, according to IRS documents released by congressional Democrats on Monday.

The documents and an internal IRS report being sent to congressional committees reveal that the tax agency used terms that included "progressive" and "occupy" to flag progressive organizations for extra scrutiny before the 2012 elections.

The revelations greatly complicate the political scandal that has engulfed the IRS over the past few weeks. An inspector general report in mid-May revealed the tax agency had screened conservative groups with words like "tea party" in their name when considering applications for tax-exempt status. Lawmakers from both parties quickly denounced the creation of such "Be On The Lookout," or BOLO, lists. Republicans in particular argued the finding proved the IRS was trying to tip the scales of the election during the heat of the campaign.

Now it appears the agency's BOLOs were applied to organizations across the ideological spectrum. The IRS also screened groups advocating on behalf of Israeli settlements who were applying for non-profit 501(c)(4) status -- a criterion that may on its own prove politically toxic.

A request for comment from the IRS was not immediately returned. The news of the progressive BOLO was first reported by The Associated Press.

John Shafer, manager of the tax-exempt division in the IRS Cincinnati office had told congressional investigators that BOLOs were applied not for purposes of punishing conservative groups, but to ensure that similar organizations were being categorized and screened by the same group of IRS officials. The concern, he said, was that two different tea party groups would get two different decisions on non-profit status. So, the Cincinnati office developed filters to make sure that everything was categorized as cleanly as possible, he said.

Democratic staffers on the House Ways and Means Committee released a copy of a BOLO list Monday that showed the word
Waco 1909

Greenville, SC

#40674 Jun 25, 2013
All kidding aside TSF your hatred of Republicans is clouding your judgement. It's never about reality with people who have an axe to grind, its about perception.
TSF

Wilson, NC

#40675 Jun 25, 2013
Today at 12:12 AM
32Comments

The Vast Anti-Conservative IRS Conspiracy Targeted Liberal Groups, Too
By Adam Martin

Share on email

The narrative of an anti-right-wing conspiracy behind the IRS's heightened scrutiny of groups with words such as "Tea Party" and "patriots" in their names is so attractive that many on the right embraced it even when the evidence didn't really back it up. Some, such as Tea Party protesters and Wall Street Journal columnist Peggy Noonan, have continued to do so. But the IRS's latest reveal on Monday, that its "be on the lookout" words included such left-wing hallmarks as "progressive," "blue," and "occupy," undercuts that narrative. In fact, it's led to new questions from Democrats over why the audit that broke the scandal in the first place didn't mention any BOLO words except the right-wing ones.

The agency's release Monday of documents showing the wider scope of its BOLO lists came with an assurance from acting commissioner Daniel Werfel that it would stop using those lists to flag groups for review. The BOLO words had been in use as recently as this month, the New York Times reported. The instructions in the lists illustrate how the agency was using some of the various key words as shortcuts to identify 501(c)(4) groups. The organizations' tax-exempt status depends on them operating primarily as social welfare groups, with politicking making up no more than 40 percent of their activity.

The word "progressive," for example, is a "common thread" through politically left groups, one list reads. "Activities appear to lean toward a new political party. Activities are partisan and appear as anti-Republican. You see references to 'blue' as being 'progressive.' " The words "open source software" suggest a for-profit business, the list says, and "occupied territory advocacy" indicates propaganda and a "one-sided point of view
TSF

Wilson, NC

#40676 Jun 25, 2013
Late yesterday, Acting IRS Commissioner Danny Werful released a report that seemed to indicate that the “Be On The Lookout” lists utilized by IRS employees in charge of examining 501(c)(4) applications included not only words that tended to ensnare conservative organizations, but also those that would likely ensnare liberal/”progressive” organizations:

WASHINGTON — The instructions that Internal Revenue Service officials used to look for applicants seeking tax-exempt status with “Tea Party” and “Patriots” in their titles also included groups whose names included the words “Progressive” and “Occupy,” according to I.R.S. documents released Monday.

The documents appeared to back up contentions by I.R.S. officials and some Democrats that the agency did not intend to single out conservative groups for special scrutiny. Instead, the documents say, officials were trying to use “key word” shortcuts to find overtly political organizations — both liberal and conservative — that were after tax favors by saying they were social welfare organizations.

But the practice appeared to go much farther than that. One such “be on the lookout” list included medical marijuana groups, organizations that were promoting President Obama’s health care law, and applications that dealt “with disputed territories in the Middle East.”

Taken together, the documents seem to change the terms of a scandal that exploded over accusations that the I.R.S. had tried to stifle a nascent conservative political movement. Instead, the dispute now revolves around questionable sorting tactics used by I.R.S. application screeners.

The acting I.R.S. commissioner, Daniel I. Werfel, formally ordered an end to all such “lookout” lists on Monday when he issued an assessment of the controversy that has led to harsh criticism of the nation’s tax collector.

Such lists were in use as recently as this month, when Mr. Werfel took over the agency, far longer than initially thought. I.R.S. officials said Monday that the more recent lists did not include the terms aimed at conservative groups.

Mr. Werfel on Monday also created an expedited process for groups to attain the tax-exempt status known as 501(c)(4). To qualify, groups must agree that no more than 40 percent of their expenditures and time can be spent on campaigns for candidates seeking public office. At least 60 percent of the groups’ time and expenses must be dedicated to social welfare activities.

The new I.R.S. documents raise questions about how the controversy has been portrayed. They confirm that the applications of “various local organizations in the Tea Party movement” were given special scrutiny. But so were
TSF

Wilson, NC

#40677 Jun 25, 2013
A little levity helps me tolerate the constant negative news . I am really ok with the few republicans who are honest . Its the same for the few remaining honest democrats. My hostility is directed at the dishonest republikans because I see little push back against their blatant government for sale and constant impediments to a functioning governance. As I have stated before, my attacks on the corruption of republikans does not constitute an endorsement of democrat corruption. I know that is hard for partisans to understand. I really see no hope for either party. I pray for the emergence of a new political party with the intelligence and will to deal with our considerable problems.
Waco 1909 wrote:
All kidding aside TSF your hatred of Republicans is clouding your judgement. It's never about reality with people who have an axe to grind, its about perception.
Waco 1909

Greenville, SC

#40678 Jun 25, 2013
TSF wrote:
Late yesterday, Acting IRS Commissioner Danny Werful released a report that seemed to indicate that the “Be On The Lookout” lists utilized by IRS employees in charge of examining 501(c)(4) applications included not only words that tended to ensnare conservative organizations, but also those that would likely ensnare liberal/”progressive” organizations:
WASHINGTON — The instructions that Internal Revenue Service officials used to look for applicants seeking tax-exempt status with “Tea Party” and “Patriots” in their titles also included groups whose names included the words “Progressive” and “Occupy,” according to I.R.S. documents released Monday.
The documents appeared to back up contentions by I.R.S. officials and some Democrats that the agency did not intend to single out conservative groups for special scrutiny. Instead, the documents say, officials were trying to use “key word” shortcuts to find overtly political organizations — both liberal and conservative — that were after tax favors by saying they were social welfare organizations.
But the practice appeared to go much farther than that. One such “be on the lookout” list included medical marijuana groups, organizations that were promoting President Obama’s health care law, and applications that dealt “with disputed territories in the Middle East.”
Taken together, the documents seem to change the terms of a scandal that exploded over accusations that the I.R.S. had tried to stifle a nascent conservative political movement. Instead, the dispute now revolves around questionable sorting tactics used by I.R.S. application screeners.
The acting I.R.S. commissioner, Daniel I. Werfel, formally ordered an end to all such “lookout” lists on Monday when he issued an assessment of the controversy that has led to harsh criticism of the nation’s tax collector.
Such lists were in use as recently as this month, when Mr. Werfel took over the agency, far longer than initially thought. I.R.S. officials said Monday that the more recent lists did not include the terms aimed at conservative groups.
Mr. Werfel on Monday also created an expedited process for groups to attain the tax-exempt status known as 501(c)(4). To qualify, groups must agree that no more than 40 percent of their expenditures and time can be spent on campaigns for candidates seeking public office. At least 60 percent of the groups’ time and expenses must be dedicated to social welfare activities.
The new I.R.S. documents raise questions about how the controversy has been portrayed. They confirm that the applications of “various local organizations in the Tea Party movement” were given special scrutiny. But so were
Still can't think for yourself? NONE OF THE LEFT WING GROUPS HAD THEIR APPROVALS HELD UP OR DENIED!!! CAN'T YOU READ???
Waco 1909

Greenville, SC

#40679 Jun 25, 2013
That's the problem I suppose. People only see and hear what they want to see and hear.
Waco 1909

Greenville, SC

#40680 Jun 25, 2013
TSF your problem? You care. A lot of people in America just don't care at all man. You, me and some few others in our country still care, and maybe it makes us a little crazy. I still can't get over the look on Putin's face while he sat on that stage with Obama. I wonder at his obvious contempt for our President. Obama was obviously aware of Putin's feelings, he was obviously uncomfortable being there with the Russian.
Waco 1909

Greenville, SC

#40681 Jun 25, 2013
TSF wrote:
Lets see here. My car burns gasoline, my truck burns diesel. There is a high tax on every gallon of fuel that pays for NC highway construction. So exactly how do you think I am escaping paying my share for road use. I think John Edwards is a closet republican who registered as a democrat. What you don't seem to understand is that party affiliation does in no way excuse corruption
<quoted text>
As far as your last sentence, think that is the point"just sayin" has been trying to make. As far as your fuel taxes, the State of North Carolina raided those funds for other projects. As to who was responsible for that, my bet would be both parties.
Taxpayer

Point Harbor, NC

#40682 Jun 25, 2013
TSF wrote:
Voting rights act struck down by the courts. Now the feds cannot interfere in state elections. This will give republikans a better chance to get those pesky minorities politicians out of office and back into chopping cotton .
Republicans, Republicans same old HS.
justasayin

Lenoir, NC

#40683 Jun 25, 2013
TSF wrote:
<quoted text>
Damn, I think the ole' boy finally gets it, POLITICIANS are corrupt. Hence my lack of "party affiliation".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pop Warner football 14 hr Mthollywood 9
looking for your confessions. (May '12) Wed cgj 68
So, Where is Kevin Green? Aug 25 WheresWaldoakaKev... 1
This looks like a beautiful place to live Aug 16 Moving 1
Review: Tire Kingdom Aug 10 Unknown 2
Leaders: I-77 expanding with toll lanes will ha... (May '11) Jul '14 elsie 2
Mothers that leaves their children Jul '14 Scott-L 15
•••
•••

Denver Jobs