Armory for sale, but to whom?

Armory for sale, but to whom?

There are 6 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Feb 12, 2008, titled Armory for sale, but to whom?. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

For decades, the men of the Army National Guard's 29th Infantry Division prepared for war inside the powder-blue corridors of this faded fortress, perfecting drills in the cavernous gym.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Democrats StarChamber

Bel Air, MD

#1 Feb 12, 2008
Chestertown shouldn't wait too long. Get it into Washington College's hands quick.
I hear Wal-Mart is interested in opening a mini-store there!
Richard Andrews

Easton, MD

#2 Feb 12, 2008
While the Maryland Military Department will make an initial recommendation, final disposal of this state-owned property must be submitted for approval to the Board of Public Works (the Governor, Treasurer, and Comptroller).
Melanchthon

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Feb 12, 2008
Just wanted to comment on the article itself... very well-written, seemingly well-researched, and showing a high level of insight and care into an Eastern Shore community. Not what one always expects from the big-city paper on the western shore.
gengida

United States

#4 Feb 12, 2008
Having served at the Armory, it should be pointed out that whoever gets it will need to do some work. When Hurricane Izzy hit, the bottom level of the Armory was severely flooded (as the Chester River rose), and I'm not sure if the armory ever really recovered from that damage. So, if anyone chooses to use it pretty much 'as is', they might have some work ahead of them.

I think that's one of the reasons a locale appraised at 1.5 mill is going for a third of that price.

SD
Critter

Hampstead, MD

#5 Feb 12, 2008
" 'All of these little special-interest groups have expressed interest in owning it,' said Larry Leone, an operations manager for the Maryland Military Department."

Mr. Leone - you're opinion would be better received if you had not defamed several groups by calling them 'little special-interest groups'. Maybe you better stay an 'operations manager' and let the people who actually know how to speak to people do the PR work for the department.

Or is it you are expressing the opinion of the Maryland Military Department that every group not associated with a big business or some form of government is a 'little special-interest group'? If so, no wonder a lot of people have a low opinion of military brass.

Notice: I said 'military brass', not military. I respect the enlisted soldiers and sailors (my father was a Naval ensign in WW II, and my step-father was an Army private in Korea), but I share their opinion of the brass - aloof, isolated, and not caring about what the common soldier, and his/her family, needs are.
State Taxpayer

Arlington, VA

#6 Feb 19, 2008
The elected officials of Chestertown should earn their privilege to serve their constituents and facilitate a cooperative arrangement between Washington College (financial resources and corporate citizenship) and "STAY" (the public interests) to ensure that the armory does not set forever and fall into decay while everyone wrings their hands over its future.
Washington College could easily afford to own and operate the armory, while also satisfying the needs of the community by allowing reasonable use of the drill hall and grounds for social events. A historic easement in the state's deed of transfer would ensure that the building's historic character is preserved.
Currently the armory is a money pit for state taxpayers who derive no benefit from upkeep of the armory. Additionally, the armory needs to be used and maintained on a day-to-day basis, for preservation if nothing else.
Critter needs to stick to the issue of who best can afford to own and operate the armory for the greatest good of the community, and Critter should stay away from personal attacks and political babble.
I wish STAY the best of luck in their endeaver to do what their elected officials have not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Danny tippit 2018 sheriff May '17 Bossman 1
Queen Anne Music Thread (Sep '16) Mar '17 Musikologist 2
nasty neighbor (Aug '08) Oct '16 Charlie 6
Vote For Donald Trump (Apr '16) Apr '16 Vote For Trump 1
News Md. Man Tries To Pay Child Support With Pennies (Aug '08) Jul '15 Merlin 50
fireworks (Jun '15) Jun '15 Levron 2
misty tate (Jun '15) Jun '15 yupIsawIt 1

Denton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Denton Mortgages