Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,643

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#97746 Jun 30, 2014
We've had a similar discussion on this before but I gotta tell ya what happened about two hours ago, about 9:15. I was laying here on the bed almost ozoned out reading the daily bad news when The Belle came rushing to the door exclaiming, "You gotta see, you gotta see!" See what, says I! So I got up in my PJ bottoms and she led me out the front door, "like what's happen'n (as in Ally Oop Poop.)" She was about to pee her britches, pointing up at an angle. Well, I looked up but didn't see anything..........at first. Then, like in slow motion, I saw this thing swaying so smoothly in the breeze off the edge of the roof. I immediately thought it was a small snake but carefully walking closer, nope.......it was what was left of one....!!!...his skin! Only about a foot of it was hanging down so I pulled it all down. Oh,.....maybe 4 ft. long. The skin was very fresh and inside out, of course, so I'm not sure what kind it was. I've been wondering ever since.......how'd he get up there and.......is there even the slightest crack in this house? Maybe I'll see him tomorrow..........when I'm cut'n grass on a riding mower!! Wish me pleasant dreams, ya all.
Anne 52

United States

#97749 Jul 1, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
We've had a similar discussion on this before but I gotta tell ya what happened about two hours ago, about 9:15. I was laying here on the bed almost ozoned out reading the daily bad news when The Belle came rushing to the door exclaiming, "You gotta see, you gotta see!" See what, says I! So I got up in my PJ bottoms and she led me out the front door, "like what's happen'n (as in Ally Oop Poop.)" She was about to pee her britches, pointing up at an angle. Well, I looked up but didn't see anything..........at first. Then, like in slow motion, I saw this thing swaying so smoothly in the breeze off the edge of the roof. I immediately thought it was a small snake but carefully walking closer, nope.......it was what was left of one....!!!...his skin! Only about a foot of it was hanging down so I pulled it all down. Oh,.....maybe 4 ft. long. The skin was very fresh and inside out, of course, so I'm not sure what kind it was. I've been wondering ever since.......how'd he get up there and.......is there even the slightest crack in this house? Maybe I'll see him tomorrow..........when I'm cut'n grass on a riding mower!! Wish me pleasant dreams, ya all.
I'd go crazy wondering where that snake had gone to! My mother in law found a snake in a dresser drawer and let me tell you that's one experience I'd rather not have !
Howdydoodee

London, KY

#97759 Jul 1, 2014
bird lovas. beautiful and exciting day!!! OMG. Busy like crazy with many things accomplished lol. Another fun filled day tomorrow yeehhaahh
Howdydoodee

London, KY

#97762 Jul 2, 2014
OMG what an exciting fun filled day. so much accomplished and hard work lol. Nothing like a Hard days work. But i'm so tired and my legs are numb
Anne 52

United States

#97764 Jul 3, 2014
Time to get up and at it today! The "gotta do" list is long and then I'm off for the holiday weekend. One year we were in Canada on July 1--Canada day --and we walked to a local park and enjoyed their fireworks and music. Then on July 4 I quietly put out my little American flag on the camper. Wonderful week!
Anne 52

United States

#97772 Jul 4, 2014
God bless America, Land that I love....

Happy 4th!!
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#97776 Jul 5, 2014
@ Anne.......totally agree! No snakes! But I got up the next day after posting the story up above and starting walking all around this house looking for how he got up on the roof, it was beyond me. I came to the south side of the house and,.........Awwhh, there it is! At either corner is a evergreen holly tree and they had grown up past the roof's edge. Needless to say, they've been severely trimmed back. I just imagine he came down during the night because, during the day, the tin roof gets awful HOT. But I don't know where he went!

Hope everyone had a great 4th. The Belle and I trimmed the 8 ft. tall hedge row along the driveway, what a job. That evening we went to a rodeo a ways across the road from us. It wasn't a PBR but it was well presented and,...well,.......comical to say the least.
Anne 52

United States

#97779 Jul 7, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
@ Anne.......totally agree! No snakes! But I got up the next day after posting the story up above and starting walking all around this house looking for how he got up on the roof, it was beyond me. I came to the south side of the house and,.........Awwhh, there it is! At either corner is a evergreen holly tree and they had grown up past the roof's edge. Needless to say, they've been severely trimmed back. I just imagine he came down during the night because, during the day, the tin roof gets awful HOT. But I don't know where he went!

Hope everyone had a great 4th. The Belle and I trimmed the 8 ft. tall hedge row along the driveway, what a job. That evening we went to a rodeo a ways across the road from us. It wasn't a PBR but it was well presented and,...well,.......comical to say the least.
I've been to just a few rodeos and enjoy them. We don't have any horses though and no intention of getting any so our interest in rodeos is not a lot. Hope your snake situation was solved with the tree trimming! "Shudder"
We didnt even attend fireworks this year because this town held them at 10:30 pm, just a tad bit late when better half had to leave for work around 5:30am Saturday morning :-(
Sunday we toured an old state reformatory and I'm doubly thankful that a tour is the only way I've seen the inside of a prison cell! I will say the outside of the prison looks like a beautiful castle. All hand cut stone! The wardens family living quarters had been absolutely beautiful in its day! The wardens children are now in their 60's and tell of the wonderful times they had while living there. They told stories about not being able to shoot BB guns in the prison grounds so they held target practice in the humongous basement. The mom used the basement to make beer-- mid 1940's--and to can the family's food .
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#97781 Jul 7, 2014
@ Anne..........You would probably enjoy a visit to Carlinville, Ill, and the courthouse of Macoupin Cty., my home area. I haven't heard your word "humongous" in years (smile'n) but the courthouse fits that description perfectly. It reminds me of the grand buildings of Rome. It's all made from "BIG" yellow-ish blocks of hand carved sandstone. To walk inside is pure haunting, almost echoes your footsteps, like the blind pig and the acorn story. No matter what time of year, it is always nice and cool in there. Of course, I guess it's heated in the winter time! But.........now, come to think of it,.......I don't know where the jail cells are. I'll do a search........ Have ya ever seen the Parthanon in Nashville? It's kinda large but only a replica of the original in Italy.

Since: Jul 12

Houston, TX

#97782 Jul 8, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
@ Anne..........You would probably enjoy a visit to Carlinville, Ill, and the courthouse of Macoupin Cty., my home area. I haven't heard your word "humongous" in years (smile'n) but the courthouse fits that description perfectly. It reminds me of the grand buildings of Rome. It's all made from "BIG" yellow-ish blocks of hand carved sandstone. To walk inside is pure haunting, almost echoes your footsteps, like the blind pig and the acorn story. No matter what time of year, it is always nice and cool in there. Of course, I guess it's heated in the winter time! But.........now, come to think of it,.......I don't know where the jail cells are. I'll do a search........ Have ya ever seen the Parthanon in Nashville? It's kinda large but only a replica of the original in Italy.
When my wife, and I, first got married, MM, we moved to Nashville, where I attended school, and we lived right next door to Centennial Park. Every morning, when I would leave to walk to school, I'd see the Parthenon, sitting there in all its beauty. The last time I was inside it was in 1965, I believe, and it was something to see! I keep telling my wife that we must spend a day, or two, in Nashville, sometime, and go back and see it again. Please forgive me, but I must correct you on one little thing; the original Parthenon sits atop the Acropolis, in Athens, Greece. We were there sightseeing around 5 years ago, and took my oldest son, and my oldest grandson, with us. It was breathtaking, standing atop the Acropolis, in front of the ruins of the Parthenon, and you could see for miles and miles, in every direction. We were on one of our cruises, and that was one of the stops. I highly recommend it, should you ever get a chance to go. It is well worth it! Have a wonderful day, my friend!
Hmm

Glasgow, KY

#97784 Jul 8, 2014
What the crap is this thread about??? Looks to me like some people need a chat room. You guys do understand that there is a difference right? I'm so confused. Anyway, enjoy your beautiful days and hard work and all.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#97786 Jul 9, 2014
BIG_STEVIE wrote:
<quoted text>
Please forgive me, but I must correct you on one little thing; the original Parthenon sits atop the Acropolis, in Athens, Greece.!
I stand corrected and I do appreciate it. I've always thought that it resembled the Roman architecture so much and just figured.......oh well. The older I get the less I like to travel, whether it be driving or flying. The Belle and I did vacation in Jamaica twice some 18 years ago. But your decription of that area does sound inviting. BTW, has Greece gotten out of its financial and political upheaval yet? They rather upset the international bankers!
trew

Evansville, IN

#97787 Jul 9, 2014
Hmm wrote:
What the crap is this thread about??? Looks to me like some people need a chat room. You guys do understand that there is a difference right? I'm so confused. Anyway, enjoy your beautiful days and hard work and all.
have no idea but formist,socialist,narcists made it into a light never changes

Since: Jul 12

Houston, TX

#97788 Jul 9, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>
I stand corrected and I do appreciate it. I've always thought that it resembled the Roman architecture so much and just figured.......oh well. The older I get the less I like to travel, whether it be driving or flying. The Belle and I did vacation in Jamaica twice some 18 years ago. But your decription of that area does sound inviting. BTW, has Greece gotten out of its financial and political upheaval yet? They rather upset the international bankers!
You know, MM, oddly enough there hasn't been much reported about Greece, lately. I'm sure they're still having problems and, as a matter of fact, when we were there, and as our tour bus wound through the streets of Athens, you could see black smudges, here and there, from where angry mobs threw Molotov cocktails, during the demonstrations. The day before we docked, the Captain of our ship came on the intercom and said that, due to a pilot's strike, we may not be able to dock there, and might have to substitute the island of Cyprus instead. One of the main reasons I chose this cruse was so that I could see the Parthenon, and some of the other ruins there, and you can imagine how distraught I was! Luckily, at the last minute, and I'm certain it was all about money, for cruise ships bring incredible revenue everywhere they stop, they "temporarily" suspended the strike, and a pilot was brought onboard to bring us to the dock at Piraeus, which is Athens' port of entry. You can imagine how happy I was! When I was very young, I read a lot of Greek literature, because of all the adventure, and always dreamed of someday being able to visit there, and see the sites. I would have done cartwheels, if I hadn't feared hurting myself! Up to that point, it had been a wonderful cruise, and we stopped on Sicily and hired a car to take us to Taormina where, standing on one of the piazzas overlooking the Mediterranean, we had a great view of Mt. Etna, still the largest active volcano in the world, I think. Then, it was on to Crete, and the ruins of the Palace of Knossos, home of the Minos line of kings (there really wasn't a Labyrinth, or a Minotaur), then to Ephesus, Turkey, where the ruins were still in pretty good shape, here and there, and you could still sit in the very back, of the Amphitheater, and hear a normal conversation between two people standing where the stage area used to be. Also, we visited the last home of Mary, the Mother of Jesus, and that was beyond words. Athens was our last stop and, thanks to our being able to dock, was the cherry on top of the sundae! I really wish you all could go on that cruise, and I know you would love it. The cost of the cruise itself is not bad; it's the air fare to and from Rome, where the cruise began and terminated, that is the big cost of the whole thing. We also spent the three days prior to sailing in Rome, and my wife booked our hotel rooms in the Old City, where we were within walking distance of most of the sites. We learned a hard lesson, the year before when we took our daughter and her husband on a Western Caribbean cruise, that it's best to do your sightseeing before you go on the cruise, because you're tired at the end. Anyway, you have a wonderful day, my friend!!!

Since: Jul 12

Houston, TX

#97790 Jul 9, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>
I stand corrected and I do appreciate it. I've always thought that it resembled the Roman architecture so much and just figured.......oh well. The older I get the less I like to travel, whether it be driving or flying. The Belle and I did vacation in Jamaica twice some 18 years ago. But your decription of that area does sound inviting. BTW, has Greece gotten out of its financial and political upheaval yet? They rather upset the international bankers!
It's odd, but I haven't heard anything on the news, lately, about Greece's financial woes. I do know that, when we were there, you could see black smudges, here and there, from Molotov cocktails that were thrown during the demonstrations. I know there still must be problems, but maybe Europe sent them some money, or something. That's what happens when you try to turn a whole country into a "worker's paradise." Still, it you and The Belle should ever get a chance to go there, please go! You will never regret it. Our cruise started in Rome, and then made stops in Sicily, Crete, Turkey, and Greece, and it was a dream come true, for anyone who ever read Greek literature, and mythology. Have a wonderful day, my friend!
gogetter

United States

#97791 Jul 10, 2014
Poor birds
Anne 52

United States

#97793 Jul 10, 2014
The trips sound wonderful! We've not been to Greece but it sounds like quite an adventure. We did enjoy Germany, France, 30 minutes of Italian highway -- crazy drivers, Austria, Switzerland and little Principality of Lichtenstein. We have been to Nashville several times and have seen a lot of things there but there's a lot we haven't seen there., mostly Nashville is a city we drive through to other southern destinations. I do not enjoy I65. A person has to really pay attention to drive that busy road. Now the western part of I80.. Well, just put your automatic pilot on and set back and nap ( not really.. Lol)
The holiday traffic this past week was a real bear to be in, especially with all the road construction. A minivan pulling a small trailer -directly in front of me, lost control leaving crazy skid marks in both traffic lanes and ended up in the median headed the wrong direction. He discovered the importance of having brakes on those trailers !! So did I. Hmmmm, see, I can learn from others mistakes.. Better Half, did you read this? Lol
Tollesboro Guy

Lexington, KY

#97800 Jul 11, 2014
Anne 52 wrote:
The trips sound wonderful! We've not been to Greece but it sounds like quite an adventure. We did enjoy Germany, France, 30 minutes of Italian highway -- crazy drivers, Austria, Switzerland and little Principality of Lichtenstein. We have been to Nashville several times and have seen a lot of things there but there's a lot we haven't seen there., mostly Nashville is a city we drive through to other southern destinations. I do not enjoy I65. A person has to really pay attention to drive that busy road. Now the western part of I80.. Well, just put your automatic pilot on and set back and nap ( not really.. Lol)
The holiday traffic this past week was a real bear to be in, especially with all the road construction. A minivan pulling a small trailer -directly in front of me, lost control leaving crazy skid marks in both traffic lanes and ended up in the median headed the wrong direction. He discovered the importance of having brakes on those trailers !! So did I. Hmmmm, see, I can learn from others mistakes.. Better Half, did you read this? Lol
Anne,

As someone whom drives I-65 a lot, I am in total agreement with you. From here I have to go to Lexington and pick up the Blue Grass Parkway. I have, long ago, driven completely across the Parkway without seeing another vehicle. It's busier now but not nearly like I-65. When you hit the Southbound lanes it's like All Hell Broke Loose. Always a wreck, most often KSP is out in force as is TSP. We used to live in Huntsville, AL (5 different times) and Nashville became our second home. I know every bar, restaurant, club and dive and there are lot's of all of those. It is a fun city and I had the largest concentration of clients there than anywhere in the SE USA. Dollar General HQ, Tractor Supply HQ, Cracker Barrel HQ (out in Lebanon) Lifeway Christian HQ, United Methodist Publishing House HQ and even Brach's Confections over in Chattanooga. I never failed to leave there without a backseat full of every candy you know they make. I had all of those as clients for 20+ years and got to be their sole source for Computer Equipment like servers/storage/Network Switches and you name it. HP, IBM, Cisco, EMC, etc., They were not too happy about me retiring in May but, 35 years is a long career in that business. I still have to help Dollar General, I built their huge datacenter and know where all the cables are under the floor,,,:-)

Great memories, except for I-65!
Anne 52

United States

#97805 Jul 11, 2014
Tollesboro Guy wrote:
<quoted text>Anne,

As someone whom drives I-65 a lot, I am in total agreement with you. From here I have to go to Lexington and pick up the Blue Grass Parkway. I have, long ago, driven completely across the Parkway without seeing another vehicle. It's busier now but not nearly like I-65. When you hit the Southbound lanes it's like All Hell Broke Loose. Always a wreck, most often KSP is out in force as is TSP. We used to live in Huntsville, AL (5 different times) and Nashville became our second home. I know every bar, restaurant, club and dive and there are lot's of all of those. It is a fun city and I had the largest concentration of clients there than anywhere in the SE USA. Dollar General HQ, Tractor Supply HQ, Cracker Barrel HQ (out in Lebanon) Lifeway Christian HQ, United Methodist Publishing House HQ and even Brach's Confections over in Chattanooga. I never failed to leave there without a backseat full of every candy you know they make. I had all of those as clients for 20+ years and got to be their sole source for Computer Equipment like servers/storage/Network Switches and you name it. HP, IBM, Cisco, EMC, etc., They were not too happy about me retiring in May but, 35 years is a long career in that business. I still have to help Dollar General, I built their huge datacenter and know where all the cables are under the floor,,,:-)

Great memories, except for I-65!
Lol. I live within minutes of I65 and sometimes at night I hear the traffic . Aggravating. I took a short stroll under the moon and down the drive past the pond just a few minutes ago and all I heard were the bullfrogs so its a good night!
Huntsville, huh? My sister retired from teaching there. The guy that jogged past their house every morning noticed their for sale sign and ended up buying the house. She now lives in a small town in West Virginia that's famous for Mothman. That's a strange story!
We moved to the same city 3 times , not your 5 times to Huntsville though, lol. At last count we've lived in 19 places. 5 different states --both ends of the Mississippi River and both sides of the Ohio River, plus wyoming. Needless to say, I know how to pack and move and I don't want to do that again, period.
sad

Winchester, KY

#97807 Jul 12, 2014
I don't like birds it put me mind of the movie

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Demplytown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 15 min xbosgay 5,524
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 hr Cornelius Scudmister 154,006
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 7 hr Republicans for G... 26,281
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) Sat BIG_STEVIE 16,169
corrections arrest Sat city dweller 1
Freys Hill Music Thread Sep 15 Musikologist 1
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) Sep 10 you must 1,067
•••
•••
•••

Demplytown Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Demplytown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Demplytown News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Demplytown
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••