School district misses out on solar g...

School district misses out on solar grant

There are 13 comments on the The Deming Headlight story from Jun 16, 2010, titled School district misses out on solar grant. In it, The Deming Headlight reports that:

Deming Public Schools is not among districts approved by the state for funding to install solar photovoltaic electric systems despite, the district said, having been told it would be recommended for funding.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Deming Headlight.

another view

United States

#1 Jun 17, 2010
and Hatch was probably selected because it would cost the least and save money for Santa Fe, Albuquerque and Las Cruses.
Oh My

Harrison, AR

#2 Jun 17, 2010
Doesn't this sound like the same tune (story) that happened a couple of months ago...do they have Rheganne Vaughn as their grant writer, she misses out on important grants that would benifit the County, I guess she's asleep at the wheel...lmao! sutherland, when are you going to do something about this incompetent employee?
chico

Pittsburgh, PA

#3 Jun 17, 2010
Oh My wrote:
Doesn't this sound like the same tune (story) that happened a couple of months ago...do they have Rheganne Vaughn as their grant writer, she misses out on important grants that would benifit the County, I guess she's asleep at the wheel...lmao! sutherland, when are you going to do something about this incompetent employee?
Rheganne seems competent to me. She has secured a number of grants for Luna County. But she doesn't write grants willy-nilly, she brings ideas to management and pursues those she is directed or authorized to pursue. In this instance it appears that it was state politics and not the quality of the grant proposal submission that was to blame.

If one would compare the grant funding secured by Rheganne's successful proposals to her salary over the period, one would likely find the county has received a significant multiple of her salary.

If yuou have statistics on her capture rate compared to that of other local grant writers or greant writers from similar positions and find that her apture rate is significantly lower than that of the others, I stand corrected.
cry baby

Las Cruces, NM

#4 Jun 17, 2010
Maybe the Deming school district did not provide a good proposal to get a Grant. Does anyone in Luna county write grants if so you need to submit a resume to the city or county because we are not getting our fair share.
Luna County Loyal

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Jun 17, 2010
'Sounds like we're getting off-topic. I'm guessing that whoever writes the grants for the schools is not the same person that does that job for Luna County.

So, if that's the case, who IS the person responsible for writing the school grants? The article says that we've applied for THREE separate solar grants and failed to get any of them. That's not a good track record (particularly since we had the "blessing" from the Governor's office that we were in the running). It's likely that the failure to get the grant is probably the fault of the grant-writer.

If it looks like incompetence, and walks like incompetence......
Naomi Cruz

Searcy, AR

#6 Jun 17, 2010
So if Deming Public Schools could cut about three of its coaches and hire two experienced and appropriate grant writers, everyone would see a lot more benefit.
I mean who really gets a gain out of the Wildcat teams losing most of the time? Seriously, do we need to drop to Class A and just try to win there with less?
Can we get serious about our priorities?
A whole lot more kids from Deming will get places with a good academic background than ever will win an athletic scholarship.
It doesn't take a lot of educated people to know this grantwriter employed now by DPS isn't cutting the mustard.
get the facts

Columbus, NM

#7 Jun 17, 2010
Oh My wrote:
Rheganne Vaughn works for the County, not the school district. The school has their own grant writer. Rheganne has brought more money to the county than she will ever earn. Check it...then state facts, not your obviously biased opinion.
Luna County Loyal

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Jun 18, 2010
I repeat: WHO is responsible for writing grants for the DPS and what's their salary? It's Public Record, isn't it?
Tom

AOL

#10 Jun 20, 2010
solar panels for schools ? you would think that would be included into the building plans of all schools being built in luna county.
Twilight

Wellsburg, WV

#11 Jun 21, 2010
You must be screwing the "hoe" too, you idiot...
get the facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Rheganne Vaughn works for the County, not the school district. The school has their own grant writer. Rheganne has brought more money to the county than she will ever earn. Check it...then state facts, not your obviously biased opinion.
MADD

Largo, FL

#12 Sep 11, 2012
When are Drunks given the statue and forgiveness that Rheganne has Received? People have done less and received more punishment. She needs to lose her job!
Spiro Agnew

Artesia, NM

#13 Sep 16, 2012
Sounds like money well saved. Plus while we're at it, let's fire a couple of grant-writers and save ANOTHER pile of money. Note to Americans: we're $16 TRILLION in debt. That means we don't HAVE any money.
BigFoot

Rio Rancho, NM

#14 Sep 17, 2012
Spiro Agnew wrote:
Sounds like money well saved. Plus while we're at it, let's fire a couple of grant-writers and save ANOTHER pile of money. Note to Americans: we're $16 TRILLION in debt. That means we don't HAVE any money.
Well said

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Deming Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Luna County enters Joint Powers Agreement for C... Jun 26 Wizard_Not 1
News City officials set water ordinance Jun 26 Wizard_Not 1
News Luna County Commissioners plan to vote today on... Jun 24 Wizard_Not 1
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) Jun 22 Humptiy Dump 8,694
RAY TREJO Arrested for DWI New Years (Jan '15) Jun 19 Hidalgo Hero 9
News County clerk's employees detained early Monday Jun 8 rocketman 3
News Ruben S. Torres Elementary students raise bilin... Jun 5 Patient Karma 1
More from around the web

Deming People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE