New buildings top school bond priorities

New buildings top school bond priorities

There are 10 comments on the Deming Headlight story from Jan 12, 2014, titled New buildings top school bond priorities. In it, Deming Headlight reports that:

LAS CRUCES >> New and improved school buildings for expanding communities and enhanced technology are the top projects school general obligation bond issues will fund if voters in Deming approve them next month.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Deming Headlight.

More information needed

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Jan 13, 2014
The article failed to mention the site, area and where these proposed news schools will be built if this bond passes. Was this deliberately left out?
headlight

Las Vegas, NV

#2 Jan 13, 2014
Same locations
Jackie

United States

#3 Jan 13, 2014
Technology! Thats what screwed up so much all ready, Trade schools with training, is what we need, this push button society canít and doesnít think any more, try teaching a little common sense, And make that money come from the SantaFa education budget, Donít ask the people of Deming for more money, use what we have all ready,or havenít you noticed for sale signs on all the property around here, And once the mines leave their wonít be any decent jobs, Technology is a SCAM, once you learn it employers wonít hire you,and them employers are not here! And once you pay to go to school your strapped with student loans that you canít pay because the jobs are not here Deming, So before you try to strap the people of Deming with another bill maybe you should think about the BOND thing again! Unless your from a third world country,then technology jobs will hire you, because they can pay you what they want, technology are right here at Wal-mart America, for Minimum wages I know they will pay for that new building
Chico

Rio Rancho, NM

#4 Jan 14, 2014
The new high school will be built in place in stages over the old high school. It is deliberate that the location of the replacement for the old junior high school building, the intermediate school, has not been named. I think these buildings need desperately to be replaced but that the school administration has done a terrible job of selling this. I am afraid the bond issue will fail to the great detriment of the county. We need a better school system and voting another reform-minded school board member will help that a lot. Failing to pass the bond issue will hurt everyone.
Concerned

Rio Rancho, NM

#5 Jan 14, 2014
This is the same ploy that was used several years back. WILL NOT Raise Your Taxes. The people of Deming do not trust DPS with their money any longer. They say they are going to do this, and we give them the money, then they spent it elsewhere. I do not think that the people of Deming should vote for this bond. I think the DPS needs to show the people of Deming they are good stewarts of our money, and do what they say. In the last ten years, we were told that schools needed to be replaced because the buildings were unsafe. We gave them the money to build some new ones. Not one of those buildings have been torn down due to their unsafeness. Are they empty? No, people still work in these supposedly unsafe buildings daily. I suggest you vote no to this bond on election day.
I also hope that the School Board will not put another local in the spot of a Superintendant. I have heard that Mr Trejo is being primed for the job. This will just be a continuation of Miss Moore's policies. Deming needs better. We, the people of Deming want a better school system, and will pay for it when the right time comes. Now is not the right time. I think a new Superintendant and her huge staff of cronies should be replaced and get DPS straightened out before the people of Deming spend another dime.
When you vote, Read the Ballot both on the Front side and the back completely. On the front side it will say Build new High School but on the back side it will say the money can be spent where needed. Read what your voting for.
VOTE NO
Chico

United States

#6 Jan 14, 2014
Reference [5] above, I agree there is a lack of trust of the school district and with some good reason. The bond issue is will enable capital outlay monies from the state to fund most of the building. Building costs in the future will be higher and the availability of state funds lesser. I also agree that a new superintendent should come from the outside. Best way for that to happen is to elect another reform-minded person to the school board. School district also needs to detail some greater specifics about the location of the new school.
super duper

Las Cruces, NM

#7 Jan 16, 2014
Only the people in Deming would think that to remove asbestos in stages while children are in the area is safe. Perhaps only in the summer?
Ask the city and the county how much money they spent with one of their projects.... asbestos abietment is not cheap.
My refernece is the old movie theater-sheriff-police sub station- then a new grant was given for a youth center. The building had three purchases on it three grants ? None of it was used to do what it was intended. Its now a parking lot.
I agree with the above person Deming needs a lot more information before they consider something like this.
Jackie

United States

#8 Jan 22, 2014
ďJUST SAY NOĒ
No No No

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Jan 26, 2014
I think the radio adds to get people to vote for the new schools are just silly. I am tired of hearing how unsafe the schools are. If they are so unsafe WHY are parents sending their children to school each day? No parent in their right mind would put their child in an unsafe place to learn day after day year after year. No wise teacher would be a part of an unsafe learning place and keep children in an unsafe building. If this is true then our public school system should be held accountable for endangering children and allowing them to be placed in an unsafe learning place. Should the state remove all these children until the problem is fixed? The more I hear of these adds the more it makes me say no. The scare tactics are just not cool. Using children in the adds to manipulate voters....it is what it is so. i
concerned

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Jan 30, 2014
Why is DPS trying to build all new schools in the RED Mountain Area.? Seems unsafe to have them all in one place.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Deming Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Community Easter Egg Hunt is Saturday (Apr '14) 5 hr hippity hoppity 6
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) Mar 22 OMG 8,890
News Voiers' Park plan includes pond Mar 4 Luna county 3
Gay guy who shot partner Feb '17 Torish 2
News Swat situation ends without injury in Dona Ana ... (Jan '11) Feb '17 Bloodonhishands 52
News Judge sentences Jeremiah Ordonez to 18-1/2 years (Mar '09) Jan '17 Fucku 15
News CHANCES program aides mothers-to-be (Oct '10) Jan '17 Berenice Miranda 3

Deming Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Deming Mortgages