Mayor Andres Silva retains seat

Full story: The Deming Headlight

It was a good night for incumbents in Deming. City of Deming mayor Andres Silva was reelected Tuesday night with more than double the votes of the closest candidate.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
RacerX

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Wow, the people really got into this election!
Rogue Hunter

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Mar 2, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

To: RacerX

Only 18% of the registered voters voted.

That is a disgrace!

It shows that this town doesn't care.

But they still complain.

Don't they?
Ha ha

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Maybe rudloff should of quit back stabbing! Hope you learned your lesson rudloff, zi you bigo lip!
Algernon_DAmmass a

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 3, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

For those disappointed about the results and/or the turnout, may I suggest that grousing on this website is not the answer.

The turnout is very disappointing. In a city of 15,000 there are only 6,000+ registered voters. I saw no active voter-drive campaigns. How many of the remaining 7,000 are eligible to vote? Is anyone attempting to reach them? I don't see it.

As for the result of the mayoral race, where are the substantive policy criticisms? I looked for them, I asked around town, and I just didn't hear much meat. On this forum, there are rumors, name-calling, and racism, but nothing based on fact or policy that I can verify.

Were any of you at the candidates forum? I went. Whether you liked him or not, you have to admit that the mayor was the best prepared. There are skills required of an effective political candidate. The other candidates repeated that the city was on the wrong track, but did not say why, or how we got there, or what specifically the mayor did wrong.

The result is not surprising, with low turnout and campaigns that did not make a strong case for change. Incumbency is certainly an advantage, but it can be overcome. It takes a serious attitude, quite a bit of work, some money of course, and perhaps the rarest commodity of all: an understanding of, and respect for, the art of politics.

Thanks for reading. Insulting responses arriving in 5...4...3...
more_votes

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 3, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Algernon_DAmmassa wrote:
For those disappointed about the results and/or the turnout, may I suggest that grousing on this website is not the answer.
The turnout is very disappointing. In a city of 15,000 there are only 6,000+ registered voters. I saw no active voter-drive campaigns. How many of the remaining 7,000 are eligible to vote? Is anyone attempting to reach them? I don't see it.
As for the result of the mayoral race, where are the substantive policy criticisms? I looked for them, I asked around town, and I just didn't hear much meat. On this forum, there are rumors, name-calling, and racism, but nothing based on fact or policy that I can verify.
Were any of you at the candidates forum? I went. Whether you liked him or not, you have to admit that the mayor was the best prepared. There are skills required of an effective political candidate. The other candidates repeated that the city was on the wrong track, but did not say why, or how we got there, or what specifically the mayor did wrong.
The result is not surprising, with low turnout and campaigns that did not make a strong case for change. Incumbency is certainly an advantage, but it can be overcome. It takes a serious attitude, quite a bit of work, some money of course, and perhaps the rarest commodity of all: an understanding of, and respect for, the art of politics.
Thanks for reading. Insulting responses arriving in 5...4...3...
I agree with you completely. Deming needs a huge driving force behind voter registration. I am 26 and i don't believe that i have ever heard of a campaign to promote voter registration since i became old enough to vote. Only 18% is a terrible turn out.
Yup yup

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 3, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Had a great party last night! Four more years! It's alwas a party at living word! It's beautiful day!
He won He won wrote:
So David Koresh did it again. Just remember religion is one thing and running a city is another. Keep your phony religious bull to yourself and try and do something for our town this term. You might be able to brainwash all your church followers just like Koresh did with his followers but look how that deal turned out for Waco. I bet its party time down at Living word. Come on Deming we need change. This buffoon should of been voted out. So let's just grin and bear it. That's life in Deming.
another view

Deming, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 3, 2010
 

Judged:

2

Low voter turnout is a national disgrace. The low quality candidates and candidates with personal agendas pretty much guaranteed incumbent re-election.
Stuart from Deming

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 3, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Regarding the comment from "citizen" and Tyler Vendrely: You just hit on the root of one of our major problems. While crime in this town has skyrocketed over the last 4 years (look at burglaries, theft, break-ins, vandalism, drugs), our Deming Police & Luna County Sheriff's can't be bothered with fighting crime. It is much easier to sit on the side of the road and give tickets out like candy canes. This is not policing, but just another form of Tax Collection, done to protect those great benefits and retirement plans.

So you can make 'dumb' comments like that all day, but the real rot in this county is corruption. Plain & Simple. I don't look forward to the next 4 years. Personally, I liked all the candidates, but if they are ineffective and people vote them back in, then we ALL have to make the best of it.

Also, I think the comment about Tyler Vendrely and his tickets is a LIE! Offer up some proof before you post. And, ALGERNON, as much as I hate to admit it, you are RIGHT on your comments.
SRelyea-

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 3, 2010
 

Judged:

1

I want to thank the 3% voters who voted for me,I got my sights on 2014, look out Silva-
BORE

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 3, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Well, another four boring, implacable and miserable years for Deming. Also, another victory for Palomas, I mean Pancho Columbus Villa or whatever you called it.
do something then

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Mar 3, 2010
 

Judged:

1

more_votes wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you completely. Deming needs a huge driving force behind voter registration. I am 26 and i don't believe that i have ever heard of a campaign to promote voter registration since i became old enough to vote. Only 18% is a terrible turn out.
Sounds like your the perfect person to start the campaign..........don't say it.......do it
we won we won

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 3, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

1

oh yea i like his compound downtown, its very nice! I like the way they help out the community with many, many different projects! I like the way they support the school programs! Nice Compound! So How did david koresh's compound help out? Do you like the walls built around the church? Do they all have guns as well? LOL.........
He won He won wrote:
So David Koresh did it again. Just remember religion is one thing and running a city is another. Keep your phony religious bull to yourself and try and do something for our town this term. You might be able to brainwash all your church followers just like Koresh did with his followers but look how that deal turned out for Waco. I bet its party time down at Living word. Come on Deming we need change. This buffoon should of been voted out. So let's just grin and bear it. That's life in Deming.

Since: Jan 09

Deming, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 3, 2010
 
18% is a very disappointing. Those that didn't vot have NOTHING to complain about. Not happy with the result, but i casted my vote.
Deming Voter

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Mar 3, 2010
 
I wouldn't even know where to start or how to do it, but I'd sure like to see ALL people in Luna County be able to vote and get that rule changed. Since I live outside of city limits I couldn't vote, who knows, it may have been quite a different story if we ALL could have voted.

It's embarrassing on the low percentage of people that voted, but for those that did, you did a good thing. For those that didn't, and had an opportunity to make a change......SHAME ON YOU !!!!
more_votes

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 3, 2010
 
do something then wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like your the perfect person to start the campaign..........don't say it.......do it
Yes Sir or Ma'am!*salute*:-) I wish i knew where to begin with such.
Silva all the way

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 3, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Town of Idiots wrote:
The results however proved that Deming is filled with ignorant people. Silva again? Which in turn means: the same old, tired, worn out vision-less (insert any word relating to lazy, ineffectual, laissez-faire, boring, lets name a building after the total and complete a s s John Strand) from before.
so you'd prefer a candidate that lied in the begining about living in town, a nutty street precher, and a guy who calls himself the street slayer over a guy who is bringing jobs in, saving us money, opening and bringing in business, gives a crap about the town and it's people, and is hearing what we are saying lol yea we're the idiots
What

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 3, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Jobs?????
citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Mar 3, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

Stuart from Deming wrote:
Regarding the comment from "citizen" and Tyler Vendrely: You just hit on the root of one of our major problems. While crime in this town has skyrocketed over the last 4 years (look at burglaries, theft, break-ins, vandalism, drugs), our Deming Police & Luna County Sheriff's can't be bothered with fighting crime. It is much easier to sit on the side of the road and give tickets out like candy canes. This is not policing, but just another form of Tax Collection, done to protect those great benefits and retirement plans.
So you can make 'dumb' comments like that all day, but the real rot in this county is corruption. Plain & Simple. I don't look forward to the next 4 years. Personally, I liked all the candidates, but if they are ineffective and people vote them back in, then we ALL have to make the best of it.
Also, I think the comment about Tyler Vendrely and his tickets is a LIE! Offer up some proof before you post. And, ALGERNON, as much as I hate to admit it, you are RIGHT on your comments.
You liked ALL the candidates, including Relyea? Now who's dumb?
Skeptical of Silva

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Mar 3, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I would like to know what jobs Silva has brought to Deming and the number of jobs?
Where are the new businesses?
How much money has he saved Deming?

The businesses that have opened in Deming in the last few years typically only last a few months. The so-called "solar" companies Silva is always promoting are scams.

He cares enough about the town to pass special laws for his church. His wife parks her big honkin' motorcycle on the sidewalk. As for his church, where are the city required parking spaces that every other business has to provide (you aren't allowed to count public parking)?

Why don't you provide all of us with the statistics so that we can make an informed decision. I haven't seen any accomplishments during Silva's reign. The infratructure projects he is talking about were in the process well before he became Mayor.

As for the financial side of it, why is the city broke?
bertine

Columbus, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Mar 3, 2010
 
Algernon_DAmmassa wrote:
For those disappointed about the results and/or the turnout, may I suggest that grousing on this website is not the answer.
The turnout is very disappointing. In a city of 15,000 there are only 6,000+ registered voters. I saw no active voter-drive campaigns. How many of the remaining 7,000 are eligible to vote? Is anyone attempting to reach them? I don't see it.
As for the result of the mayoral race, where are the substantive policy criticisms? I looked for them, I asked around town, and I just didn't hear much meat. On this forum, there are rumors, name-calling, and racism, but nothing based on fact or policy that I can verify.
Were any of you at the candidates forum? I went. Whether you liked him or not, you have to admit that the mayor was the best prepared. There are skills required of an effective political candidate. The other candidates repeated that the city was on the wrong track, but did not say why, or how we got there, or what specifically the mayor did wrong.
The result is not surprising, with low turnout and campaigns that did not make a strong case for change. Incumbency is certainly an advantage, but it can be overcome. It takes a serious attitude, quite a bit of work, some money of course, and perhaps the rarest commodity of all: an understanding of, and respect for, the art of politics.
Thanks for reading. Insulting responses arriving in 5...4...3...
No insults from me Algernon. A very well written and honest posting. Need more like this!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Deming Discussions

Search the Deming Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Say it in six words (Jul '08) 56 min Richies Cool Man Diary 8,438
Distance Learning High School Diploma Pilot. Mon Zece 1
Wi-Power high-speed Internet, Digital phone ser... (Jun '10) Jul 19 Viet Nam 54
Review: Billy The KID Produce Jul 18 Lee Olson 1
Chief Deputy Allen Carter resigns post (Nov '11) Jul 10 Lone Ranger 14
You text, you drive, you pay Jul 4 Exodus 2
June 26 1914 Jun 30 I love the southwest 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Deming Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Deming People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Deming News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Deming
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••