Third grade plan?

Third grade plan?

There are 4 comments on the Alamogordo Daily News story from Jan 14, 2012, titled Third grade plan?. In it, Alamogordo Daily News reports that:

Democrats, more willing than ever to challenge Republican Gov. Susana Martinez on policy issues, say her plan to hold back third-graders en masse would do more harm than good.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alamogordo Daily News.

Real Problems

United States

#1 Jan 17, 2012
There are serious problems at home and at school if your third grader cannot read by the end of the third grade. Parents involve yourself! Help your child! You're your Childs only advocate.
I understand

Alamogordo, NM

#2 Jan 17, 2012
It is the school systems responsibility to present the information to the kids and the parents responsibility to make sure the kids do the work and are disciplined!
Give it up

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Jan 17, 2012
I understand wrote:
It is the school systems responsibility to present the information to the kids and the parents responsibility to make sure the kids do the work and are disciplined!
We have a winner! I think that was the whole point to begin with!! Read with your children at home. It always worked for my kids. I was also involved in their education which is something completely unheard of now.

Since: Jan 12

Columbus, NM

#4 Jan 25, 2012
Give it up wrote:
<quoted text>
We have a winner! I think that was the whole point to begin with!! Read with your children at home. It always worked for my kids. I was also involved in their education which is something completely unheard of now.
I believe the language barrier is a big part of the problem. Many children go home to parents who do not speak English. The may also be surrounded by songs and TV shows in Spanish. English continues to be their second language. I try not to fall into speaking Spanglish, as this has the potential of making me lazy -just saying the word in whichever language comes to mind first, instead of completing a sentence in one language.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Deming Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where were the flags 18 hr red white and blue 4
News Voiers' Park plan includes pond (Dec '16) 22 hr John 16
News Twenty-five car pile-up leaves six people dead Jun 21 Budda Gojkovich 2
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) Jun 15 Spider 8,899
Red, white and blue Jun 14 take a stroll dow... 1
News Will Pearce consider run for Gov. in 2018? Jun 7 Jackie of Deming 1
Duane Lyon (Sep '09) Jun 7 Johni James 5

Deming Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance