Banners draw attention to historic De...

Banners draw attention to historic Deming

There are 24 comments on the The Deming Headlight story from Jan 19, 2011, titled Banners draw attention to historic Deming. In it, The Deming Headlight reports that:

Deming's downtown has a new look that's aimed at bolstering the historic walking tour.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Deming Headlight.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
its about me

Santa Fe, NM

#1 Jan 19, 2011
Is there a reason the director of the Museum and owners of the other buildings are not given a little mention in the ''historic tour'' for some news paper coverage?
wow

Phoenix, AZ

#2 Jan 19, 2011
Is't this the same kind of information that is printed on pamplets that's handed out for the walking tours? At a whole lot less cost? It's nice to promote but wow. Will they last longer in the weather than the last bunch of banners that hung to promote bussinesses?
Are these going to be a distraction to drivers looking up to read instead of watching where they drive?
Just a thought

Santa Fe, NM

#3 Jan 19, 2011
I haven't seen them yet, but I think if we want our community to shine I think its a step in the right direction. The clean up of weeds and lots and the lines on the streets have helped our town look a lot better also. I've said it before, I think Deming has the potential of being a great community like it was in the 60's & 70's. We had a lot of downtown businesses then. Of course your not going to please everyone but I think trying is better than not trying. I have a suggestion. What about hanging up a patriotic type banner the latter part of June and all of July to promote Memorial Day and Fourth of July. I think that would look fabulous and the stores could put up red, blue and white lights. Just a thought.
behonest

Deming, NM

#4 Jan 19, 2011
Somethings that were left off the banner.

Corruption
21% Unemployment
Meth Problems
Teenage Pregnancy
Gangs
Immigration problems
Just a thought

Santa Fe, NM

#5 Jan 19, 2011
How is putting that on a banner going to attract tourism or for that matter make our city more appealing. I've seen Las Cruces put up banners that make their city more attractive to visitors and their residents. They also have a lot of problems in their city I'm sure of, but they chose to beautify their city also.
concerned

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Jan 19, 2011
Putting up banners to promote the downtown area is great but what about the churches that ruin business in the downtown area? CHURCHES DONT BELONG IN THE DOWNTOWN AREA
Ugly

United States

#7 Jan 19, 2011
I think those are the ugliest and hardest-to-read banners I have ever seen in a community. My first thought was, "Who in the world would pay for such an ugly banner?" I knew it wouldn't be the business owners; most of them have excellent taste! Other communities have pretty, friendly, welcoming banners. Ours is mostly black and white, and you have to stop in the road to read it!
Nice Try

United States

#8 Jan 19, 2011
Great idea, poor design. Way too much information to read for a person driving by. Should have spent money on a professional advertising company to design. If you're gonna do it, do it right :)
Newcomer in Deming

Santa Fe, NM

#9 Jan 19, 2011
behonest wrote:
Corruption
21% Unemployment
Meth Problems
Teenage Pregnancy
Gangs
Immigration problems
Amen!
walking tour

Las Cruces, NM

#10 Jan 19, 2011
Just a thought wrote:
I haven't seen them yet, but I think if we want our community to shine I think its a step in the right direction. The clean up of weeds and lots and the lines on the streets have helped our town look a lot better also. I've said it before, I think Deming has the potential of being a great community like it was in the 60's & 70's. We had a lot of downtown businesses then. Of course your not going to please everyone but I think trying is better than not trying. I have a suggestion. What about hanging up a patriotic type banner the latter part of June and all of July to promote Memorial Day and Fourth of July. I think that would look fabulous and the stores could put up red, blue and white lights. Just a thought.
Yep and we know which one will put up the red lights.
signs and banners

Las Cruces, NM

#11 Jan 19, 2011
Nice Try wrote:
Great idea, poor design. Way too much information to read for a person driving by. Should have spent money on a professional advertising company to design. If you're gonna do it, do it right :)
I think the aim is to promote a'' walking tour'' and that is why you do not know what it says unless you get out of your car and walk to a sign near by and read it.
A professional advertising company would have had to be allowed to have some imput in the design and with some of this group that just is not going to ever happen. I hope it helps bring more business to the down town merchants.
Fact of life

Las Cruces, NM

#12 Jan 20, 2011
When did the regulations change about advertizing and business signs on right of ways? Christmas decorations are one thing and advertizing for business is another. I guess this opens a new way for other local business owners to advertize on the City of Demings dime. Do they charge a fee to put the signs up or do they donate their time? If the City puts up business signs for one they have to do the same for everyone else. Restaurants, clothing stores, bars, gas stations, every one. Putting signs in the window of your establishment is one thing but using property that you do not own is another. A banner that says Merry Christmas or welcome to Deming are banners that do not promote privat enterprise. this is just not ethical but then does that ever matter.
City planner

Santa Fe, NM

#13 Jan 20, 2011
Where are the rules for placing signs on State and or City right of ways? Do you pick up a form at the City for sign placement on the light posts? Is there a size restriction as to how much it can hang in to the street? Who Do we talk to about using the City truck to put the signs up for us?
Tommy Rot

United States

#14 Jan 20, 2011
behonest wrote:
Corruption
21% Unemployment
Meth Problems
Teenage Pregnancy
Gangs
Immigration problems
Double amen. These were the other things Deming did't have in the 60's and 70's.
The Road to Success

Las Cruces, NM

#15 Jan 20, 2011
I think a new and better Deming is slowly beginning to emerge. And if the Deming Arts Council, Luna County Chamber of Commerce, Deming Main Street, Deming Economic Development, City of Deming, Deming Museum, Hospital, Senior Center, local businesses, volunteers, and other local entities work collaboratively and with a common goal and vision to bring about a more attractive and appealing community then I think more businesses, commerce and tourism will follow. Its good to see our community start to slowly want to come alive. But of course a lot of work is still needed before we get there. Maybe then peoples attitudes of our town will start to change and they will see the beauty and potential some of us see. We can all then be proud of our home town. That live theater Ms. Walters dreams about may become a reality. Matt good article.
Just a thought

Las Cruces, NM

#16 Jan 21, 2011
After seeing the banners I have to agree with some of the previous posts, but the banners are not very attractive and are impossible to read. I think the DAC should have used a tapestry banner that depicted an Art emblem of some kind relating to our area. Maybe a chile ristra, western symbols, ducks, cactus plants, indian symbols, etc. would have been better. The banners that are up now would be better placed next to the historic building in the downtown Deming areas. Oh well, the Road to Success is always under construction. Live and learn. Still think the patriotic banners during the months of June and July would be a hit. Downtown dressed in red, white and blue lights, and Us flags, ribbons. Maybe a park concert on the 4th. Just a thought.
my thought

Santa Fe, NM

#17 Jan 22, 2011
''Banners draw attention to historic Deming''
I would think they would have to be readable from the top of the light pole to draw attention to Historic Deming.
Luna Blu

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Jan 22, 2011
Dear newcomer,
You dare to judge. Where did you come from? Wherever you live you make it what you want. I would like to think that every newcomer makes us better.
Luna Blu

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Jan 22, 2011
The banners are posted along the walking tour of the city. If one is walking, they are attractive and easy to read. Why not wait until the city finishes hanging them before you blast out.
What could anyone do to please some people?
I can see why no one attempts to do anything in Deming--Deming a town full of sour pusses.
Just a thought

Rio Rancho, NM

#20 Jan 6, 2012
Just a thought wrote:
After seeing the banners I have to agree with some of the previous posts, but the banners are not very attractive and are impossible to read. I think the DAC should have used a tapestry banner that depicted an Art emblem of some kind relating to our area. Maybe a chile ristra, western symbols, ducks, cactus plants, indian symbols, etc. would have been better. Just a thought.
Think these type of banners would have been a hit right about now during the NM centennial year. Everything New Mexican would be in style this year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Deming Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) 2 hr Smelly_Kat 12,312
News Voiers' Park plan includes pond (Dec '16) Apr 30 update needed 17
News Two arrested in alleged alien smuggling attempt Apr 29 Oldglory 17
News Editorial: A tribute to Cinco de Mayo (May '15) Apr 29 None 3
News Hurley Town Council rejects kennel license; hea... Apr 26 right to quietness 1
News Join Day of the Young Child March Apr 26 It makes sense 1
News Proposed dolomite mine in New Mexico facing cri... Apr 23 LucasMcCain 3

Deming Jobs

Personal Finance

Deming Mortgages