I love the southwest

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Jun 11, 2014
DEMING HEADLIGHT, LUNA COUNTY, NEW MEXICO, JUNE 10, 1914

"Thirty floats in parade and startling designs to be worked out by Merchant. Building should be decorated and lot and alley cleaned for July 4th. The program for the Fourth is rapidly taking a definite form and all this week the burden of conversation wherever two or three are gathered together is floats and more floats. There will be close to thirty floats in the parade and besides that a lot of automobile owners will have their cars decorated with flags and bunting and will help to lengthen the line and to add more color to what will be one of the most colorful parades ever pulled off in this state. And the floats that will be in the line will not be the usual stereotyped hardy annuals that are seen in every parade from China to Peru but they will all be the most original and attractive that have ever been evolved for such an occasion. Among those who will be represented in the parade will be The Little Vineyards Company, the New Mexico Implement Company, the Rio Mimbres Irrigation Company, Henry Meyer, J.A. Mahoney, Lester Deckert, the Deming Mercantile Company, the Price Milinery Company, the Snyder Jewelry Company, Williamson Co, C.W. Cook , the H. Nordhaus Sons Co., Irvine Raithel, The Lindauer Mercantile Co., Williams Co.,Paul Nesh, Leffler Field, N.A. Bohch, Tidmore Williams and Dr. S. D.Swope. Most of those entering floats are keeping their plans and designs more or less a secret for fear someone else might steal their thunder, but the Little Vineyards Company will have every department of the farm represented , from the Ely children in their pony cart to a car of alfalfa. Dr. Swope will have his car disguised as a battleship, with several cannon that will shoot confetti at the crowds. others will decide between now and the Fourth whether they will enter floats in the parade and their names will be given in a later issue. The committee are anxious that as many as possible should decorated their stores and dwellings with the national colors and most of the merchants are prepared to supply bunting and flags in any quantity desired. The race track east of town has been laid out in preparation for the days' sports and everything is rounding into shape splendidly under the direction of the committee in charge. Captain Harry N. Cootes, marshal of the parade, was in town on Sunday for several hours conferring with the members of the committee regarding the arrangements for the day. And here's another point-don't forget to clean up the lots and alleys so that the town may look its prettiest when all the visitors come."

And that's the way it was 100 years ago.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Deming Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Anti-bullying bill passes New Mexico Senate (2:... (Feb '11) Sat trying 25
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) Sat Mr T 8,658
News Deming Police: Graffiti issue no longer on the ... (Apr '08) Mar 21 spray paint rus 3
News Body of missing Deming man found in Hidalgo County Mar 2 Linda 2
Water upgrade Feb '15 Enchanting New Me... 1
Deming Feb '15 Sheri 1
News Presidente Garcia: 'Streets of Palomas are safe' (Apr '08) Feb '15 Sheri 75
Deming Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Deming People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]