Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks ...

Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks Outrage on Social Media

There are 66306 comments on the Wall Street Journal story from Mar 22, 2012, titled Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks Outrage on Social Media. In it, Wall Street Journal reports that:

Social media has put the spotlight on the story Trayvon Martin , an unarmed African-American teenager who was shot to death last month by a neighborhood watch captain in Florida.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Wall Street Journal.

Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#28127 Jun 14, 2012
Don-N-Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>
According to ABC News, Zimmerman's girlfriend made the following official statement:
<quoted text>
http://abcnews.go.com/US/trayvon-martin-arres...
So to me, if the first person to speak to the other was Trayvon; “What are you following me for,”, then at least to my way of thinking it would seem to be Trayvon who “confronted” Zimmerman, at least verbally.
As for the girlfriend’s claim of who initially pushed whom, how could anybody possibly know that by listening to a conversation over the phone, unless it was a video chat?
There are a multitude of people who like to point out the mistakes Zimmerman made but in my opinion if after being asked:“What are you doing here?” Martin had replied:‘Going home from the 7-11’, perhaps none of this would have happened.
But somebody - somewhere got pushed, and there are those who emphatically claim they “know” who pushed whom and where, but I have seen nothing in the actual evidence which would rationally lead to that conclusion.
As for the rest of your commentary, about the only thing I read that doesn’t appear to be conjecture is; ‘Martin was found on the grass’.
Oh and one final point, it isn’t up to Zimmerman to prove his innocence – but rather it is the duty of the courts to prove his guilt under our legal system, something a lot of people seem to be forgetting in this case.
If Zimmerman had remained in his vehicle scared as he indicated to police, then none of this would have happened.

Instead he left the vehicle armed stalking Martin.

Clearly we know who the aggressor is.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#28128 Jun 14, 2012
Toe Cutter wrote:
We need to ask ourselves if the experiment of integration has worked? From the perspective of a European American man, I can honestly say that it has done nothing to enrich my life. Life was better prior to this unwanted social experiment.
You mean like how the European
American pretty much eliminated the American Indian?
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#28129 Jun 14, 2012
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>Zimmerman's not getting "off" and neither is this guy, LOL...
"HOUSTON (AP)-- A retired Houston-area firefighter faces up to life in prison after a jury convicted him of murder for gunning down his unarmed neighbor during a dispute over a noisy house party.
Raul Rodriguez, 47, argued he was within his rights under Texas' version of a stand-your-ground law when he killed Kelly Danaher in 2010. The trial's punishment phase, which will include further testimony, was scheduled to begin Thursday.
Rodriguez was angry about the noise coming from Danaher's home, where the family was having a birthday party for Danaher's wife and young daughter. Rodriguez went to the home and got into an argument with Danaher, a 36-year-old elementary school teacher, and two other men who were at the party.
In a 22-minute video he recorded the night of the shooting, Rodriguez can be heard telling a police dispatcher "my life is in danger now" and "these people are going to go try and kill me." He then said "I'm standing my ground here," and shot Danaher after somebody appeared to grab his camera. The two other men were wounded."
Why should law makers be surprised?

This is what they envisioned would happen.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#28130 Jun 14, 2012
EASY MONEY wrote:
<quoted text>
George should get a metal for eliminating garbage. If a idiot swings at me and I have a gun, he's dead, I'm protecting myself. Period!!!! Never mind what happened prior to that swing, swing, die!
Interesting how you say Zimmerman should get his metal.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#28131 Jun 14, 2012
You know what's interesting about this syg law? It makes the nra and the politicians who passed it look like the idiots that they are.
Jackson

New York, NY

#28132 Jun 14, 2012
Black people are stupid.They're angry at white people because a mixed race person shot a black teenager.Black people have no snese

BRONACH

“FEED THE DEAD FETUS”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#28133 Jun 14, 2012
What's even more interesting is how stupid liberal leftists don't even know what the SYG law means.

But we've come to expect that from scum who also don't understand or respect the US constitution.

FK em all!

Since: Sep 09

Pompano Beach, FL

#28134 Jun 14, 2012
Jackson wrote:
Black people are stupid.They're angry at white people because a mixed race person shot a black teenager.Black people have no snese
Correct! Zimmerman is 1/2 white 1/4 Hispanic and 1/4 BLACK.!!!!
Yet, Jesse Jackass and Al (the liar) Sharpton along with the liberal media keep the Black community inflammed by continuing to make this a White on black Crime...it is not...this is a mixed race person that shot a black person. the media and the ilk of Jackson and Sharpton is using this to keep black minds occupied with racist hate in an election year with a black candidate is up against a white candidate. Call it like it is....this is POLITICS!!

Jumping Jim

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#28135 Jun 14, 2012
Yeah wrote:
You know what's interesting about this syg law? It makes the nra and the politicians who passed it look like the idiots that they are.
Not one of these stand your ground laws are ever going to be repealed, despite all the crying from the low class, and criminal element. The bad guys and their sympathizers (like you) just can't stand it when one of their people like Martin lost the confrontation.
USMarine 89

San Francisco, CA

#28136 Jun 14, 2012
Any one who is the same color as my sht can flush themselves to death.

Jumping Jim

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#28137 Jun 14, 2012
Mi_nina wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct! Zimmerman is 1/2 white 1/4 Hispanic and 1/4 BLACK.!!!!
Yet, Jesse Jackass and Al (the liar) Sharpton along with the liberal media keep the Black community inflammed by continuing to make this a White on black Crime...it is not...this is a mixed race person that shot a black person. the media and the ilk of Jackson and Sharpton is using this to keep black minds occupied with racist hate in an election year with a black candidate is up against a white candidate. Call it like it is....this is POLITICS!!
Well put and very true what you say.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#28138 Jun 14, 2012
zazz wrote:
Nothing I said was inaccurate. The state learned about the passport from the jailhouse tapes. Do you think they lied in court when that is what the told the judge.
When you said the state learned about the passport from the jailhouse tapes, you do appear to be accurate, however the way you said “hid the good one in a safe deposit box,” appears to me to be a little misleading and prejudicial steering people to assume it was a conscious act on the Zimmerman’s part.

Since none of us have heard those conversations yet who’s to say it didn’t go along the lines of; ‘I found the passport in the safety deposit box what should I do?’.

There are still too many things being speculated upon still for any type of statement of certainty from me.

Perhaps the tapes being released will shed a little more light on the jailhouse conversations, perhaps not, we shall see.

Of course there will be all kinds of theories and assessments by the public and the media about what was meant when someone said something, but for me it kind of brings to mind the audio “expert” the Orlando Sentinel hired to figure out who was screaming on the 911 tape.

The expert claimed it didn’t appear to be Zimmerman, but when the same tape was sent to the FBI, their audio experts couldn’t say one way or the other who was screaming.

IMO we all need more facts, and less speculation and hype.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#28139 Jun 14, 2012
Richard_ wrote:
"HOUSTON (AP)-- A retired Houston-area firefighter faces up to life in prison after a jury convicted him of murder for gunning down his unarmed neighbor during a dispute over a noisy house party.
Raul Rodriguez, 47, argued he was within his rights under Texas' version of a stand-your-ground law when he killed Kelly Danaher in 2010. The trial's punishment phase, which will include further testimony, was scheduled to begin Thursday.
Rodriguez was angry about the noise coming from Danaher's home, where the family was having a birthday party for Danaher's wife and young daughter. Rodriguez went to the home and got into an argument with Danaher, a 36-year-old elementary school teacher, and two other men who were at the party.
In a 22-minute video he recorded the night of the shooting, Rodriguez can be heard telling a police dispatcher "my life is in danger now" and "these people are going to go try and kill me." He then said "I'm standing my ground here," and shot Danaher after somebody appeared to grab his camera. The two other men were wounded."
I agree with that, but take a look at the guy in TX who caught a guest at a celebration at his home, "allegedly" sexually assaulting his 4 year old daughter. Father went in to,(what I would call" a heat of passion, rage, fatherly protection mode and beat the "alleged" molester to death with his bare hands.
I think if I were on the jury and found these facts to be facts, I would not convict Father.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#28140 Jun 14, 2012
Yeah wrote:
ALEC pushed and got these laws acroos the country. ALEC is a Right Wing Think Tank. Stands for American Legislative Exchange Council. They take ONLY VERY big donations/membership fees and work with lobbyists, Senate and Congress/House to get these laws on the books. They are also responsible for SYG laws in many states and the Voter Suppression Legislation being pushed.

Location hidden

#28141 Jun 14, 2012
Richard_ wrote:
... EDITED ...
Different state, different law different circumstances...

Rodriguez left his property and went to the neighbor’s house to confront him about the noise. I believe the TX Castle Doctrine gives the home or property owner the right to defend themselves under certain circumstances IF the person is in their house or on their property or by doing so the shooter prevents certain major felonies, not standing in the street in front of a neighbor’s house complaining about the noise.

Other than apparent trash talk, I neither heard nor saw any actual threat to Rodriguez, nothing he couldn’t have easily walked away from.

Appropriate finding in my opinion, but it is also my opinion the Rodriguez case appears to have little to do with the Zimmerman case, other than both of them involved guns and both lead to the death of people involved.

Location hidden

#28142 Jun 14, 2012
EASY MONEY wrote:
Hey wake up you dip-shits he was and is nothing, he did nothing and he wasn't worth nothing, just an other dip-shit,thug. Being dead was the best thing that could have ever happened to him.
All human life has worth, at the risk of repeating myself consider the kid that drank, took drugs, slept on his friends couch through much of college - some of those friends, drug dealers themselves.

This same kid grew up to become a US Senator and later the President of the United States.

This is exactly the kind of trash talk that causes problems in the debate.
Ascendo Tuum

Palo Alto, CA

#28143 Jun 14, 2012
Black 8 My Angus 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
What's you point cupcake?
I think maybe you got a little gas.
My point is there are black folks and then there are n!@@ers!
Unfortunately there ain't to many black folks.
1 in 10 if you lucky.
the fact you didn't deny you're an inbred syster-fcuking azzhole speaks volumes.
Ascendo Tuum

Palo Alto, CA

#28144 Jun 14, 2012
the westerner wrote:
<quoted text>
dumbass, martin had no right to assault Zimmerman either, you're an idiot.
Uh.... Trayvon was invoking the Stand your Ground law. Or is that law only for red-neck racist good ole boys???
Ascendo Tuum

Palo Alto, CA

#28145 Jun 14, 2012
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow you are really out there. You are acting like a spoiled little child throwing a tantrum. You say that Zimmerman stalked Martin but you don't even know what stalking is.
There is no question that he shot him. But you assume that he's guilty not because of anything you've read but because you want to see him punished.
You reveal a character flaw by condemning a man who is innocent until proven guilty. This is no minor flaw either. Your deep seated hatred renders you destined for permanent failure unless you can manage to purge yourself of that hatred.
I wish you luck.
not true... I truly hope he gets a fair trail..... before they fry him.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#28146 Jun 14, 2012
BRONACH wrote:
What's even more interesting is how stupid liberal leftists don't even know what the SYG law means.
But we've come to expect that from scum who also don't understand or respect the US constitution.
FK em all!
lol! Oh yeah! That texas, right wing extremist dude certainly thought he was cover his a$$ because he KNEW the law...

More like an abuser, son!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Deltona Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Events manager resigns from Deltona's Center Feb 18 overit 1
News Consumer help: Gym contracts, ripoffs (May '09) Feb 8 Mjolnir 17
more black on white crime! (Aug '13) Jan 30 blackman 120
Election Who do you support for Chief Financial Officer ... (Oct '10) Jan '18 Just a fiar 224
News Deltona dentist arrested after 'tug of war' wit... (May '11) Jan '18 bakerlb57 9
News 18 men arrested in sex sting at Volusia County ... (Jun '17) Jan '18 BullyTamer 9
Abolish the King Holiday (Apr '12) Jan '18 RickN8 136

Deltona Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Deltona Mortgages