Did a man die winning a roach eating ...
Jeannie B

Pompano Beach, FL

#44 Oct 8, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
He did not pass " within an hr" it was at least few hours later. His friend put him in the truck and everyone thought they were gone. His buddy said he was taking him home, instead his buddy watched him pass away without doing anything to help. Also it took EMS more than 20 minutes to get there after the first call. Eddy was asked if he was ok when he was throwing up and he said he was ok, he just wanted his friend to take him home. The friend also had the balls to ask for Eddies snake that he won after the ambulance took him away.
I'm sure to Eddie's friend it looked as though he was just sick and puking up the gallon of roaches he was just provided to ingest, and I'm sure Eddie thought the same thing. It was only the STORE OWNERS and EMPLOYEES who should have known better. If they had done ANY due diligence before promoting the consumption of endless quantities of live roaches, they would have known at the first sign that Eddie was in trouble.

I understand there are some BSR groupees out there...but to excuse negligent murder? That's a strech, even for a devotee.
Danny

Hollywood, FL

#46 Oct 8, 2012
Looks like Ben wasted no time getting a lawyer. I would suggest Eddie's family do the same.
Anonymous

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

#47 Oct 8, 2012
So the store owner should have known better? But not the guy himself?
Justice

United States

#48 Oct 8, 2012
You bet he got a lawyer, BSO is investigating this as a homicide. So obviously the Sheriffs office believes there is evidence of negligence. I pray justice for the family.
Anon

Pompano Beach, FL

#49 Oct 8, 2012
All deaths are investigated by Homicide Dept, not necessarily that they are ruling it a homicide, but that dept investigates the happenings that lead to the persons death.
TLF

Hollywood, FL

#50 Oct 8, 2012
noneofyourbizniz wrote:
<quoted text>
The name of the business is Ben Siegel Reptiles, and I believe that they also deserve some privacy as well. My prayers and thought are with ALL involved.
I'm sorry, but my friend lost his life. His children are fatherless, and I do believe that there is a degree of negligence involved even if you don't. Go ahead and pray for Ben Siegel Reptiles. They certainly need them.
hydrogen cyanide gas

New Orleans, LA

#51 Oct 8, 2012
Many species also emit poisonous liquid secretions or hydrogen cyanide gas through microscopic pores called odoriferous glands along the sides of their bodies as a secondary defense. Some of these substances are caustic and can burn the exoskeleton of ants and other insect predators, and the skin and eyes of larger predators.
Millipede hydrogen cyanid

New Orleans, LA

#52 Oct 8, 2012
Sorry,
This is from the millipede. Maybe because he ate so many of them, the toxins were two much for his body. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millipede
Water drinking contest

New Orleans, LA

#53 Oct 8, 2012
This reminds me of the time some radio station had a contest to see who could drink the most water. A woman died, and the station was sued and lost.
Anonymous

Stuart, FL

#54 Oct 8, 2012
If you were not there then you should have no comment at all!! I was there all night until the end. i was in the back when eddie was getting sick we all were asking if he was ok and he slambed the door shut and said he was just getting sick and to leave him alone. then about 10 min. later he comes out of the bathroom with this guy he came with.(i spoke with eddie earlier in the night and he said he didnt even know the guy who brought him)he said he was taking eddie home. they then walked down the parking. everyone thought they left. NO ONE KNEW THEY WERE STILL THERE!!! This unknown guy just let eddie die right infront of him!!!! whats wrong with you people!! Ben and his saff did all they could to help. If his friend wouldnt have been so negligent himself we may have been able to call 911 a lot sooner. And why is no one attacking the Fire and Rescue of deerfield after multiple calls it still took them 15 to 20min to get there!! they are right around the corner!!!! why is nothing being said about this! Ben is a wonderful man and his wife is amazing! along with everyone that works there. Of course Ben is going to get a lawyer! listen to all of you why wouldnt he!!! Eddie knew what he was doing! he was there to make money!! he was trying to win a free snake to turn around and sell it to the guy who brought him! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!! you all need to grow up and let people make there own decisions! they dont need trash like all you negative people harping in their ear!
Jonathan Long

Hollywood, FL

#56 Oct 8, 2012
You should take that down.
Anonymous

United States

#57 Oct 8, 2012
At the very least disable the comments. Those are entirely inappropriate.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#58 Oct 8, 2012
This story has been shielded from exposure by lawyers who couldn't care less about this man. I believe this information is important, and allows people to have a better understanding of the craziness of this event, should they, or someone they love, consider entering such a contest. It is absolutely not meant to offend, but to inform. God Bless

Location hidden

#59 Oct 8, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
At the very least disable the comments. Those are entirely inappropriate.
Agreed. Comments have been disabled, respectfully. Thank you.
Sarah B

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#60 Oct 8, 2012
John-Patrick, did you re-pload my video? Please take that down. I found it disrespectful to keep it up so I made it private. It was not your video to take and re-upload, certainly not without my permission.
Richard Joseph Kutney

Hillside, NJ

#61 Oct 9, 2012
I am shocked by the irresponsibility of Ben Siegel's Reptile Store. They should have known that if you make an offer to win a prize by doing something really disgusting and potentially dangerous, you're going to find a few insane people who will do it. It's not funny. This is not entertainment unless you are insane.
A Friend

Lawrenceville, GA

#62 Oct 9, 2012
I have known Eddie for years, The few people who posted about how nice, fun, crazy he was. You barely scratched the surface. Eddie was someone who could make you smile no matter what situation you were in. He lived everyday as though it was his last. He made us better for knowing him. A bug eating contest, ha, that was Eddie. He was fearless. He wasn't afraid to LIVE life. Whatever comes of this tragedy please remember he has left behind a family, friends and an entire town that will miss him forever. RIP Eddie, we love you.
Karla

United States

#63 Oct 9, 2012
I hope to God Eddie’s family has a lawyer and sues for negligence! This has negligence written all over it and regardless of Eddie choice or state of mind or health at the time; Ben Siegel Reptiles should have been better prepared and ready in the event anything like this could have happened! There should have been EMS on site and ready! Poor Eddie looked to be getting ill at the end of that video and EMS could have been on him right there and then and not 20 minutes after he had collapsed.

No matter how many try and point the finger at Eddie the lack of planning and safety at Ben Siegel Reptiles that night cost this man his life!
Sarah B

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#64 Oct 9, 2012
If you want to watch something, watch the news report. Stop re-uploading my video without my permission. http://youtu.be/LpLz9mouX8c

No one on this thread is going to know the entire story. The people here who are getting others riled up- you know who you are- you are making things worse, and you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Everyone will have their own opinion on the matter. But jeez, could you all just can it unless you have something nice about Eddie or something constructive to say and not something blaming this or that or judging or condoning a behavior?

The internet really allows people to act like children. Show some compassion.

Location hidden

#66 Oct 10, 2012
Something that I've failed to see mentioned as new information arises, is that in order to deliberately make the contest more difficult, the contestants were permitted a very limited supply of water. It appeared to be around 8 ounces or so. This was a first for me, to see something like that at a food eating contest. Probably wasn't the best idea. You can see from Sarah's video, that Eddie wasted no time taking water from a bystander, presumably because he had a stupid amount of roaches to wash down.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Delray Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police: Florida man stole car, tried to sell it... 16 hr Parden Pard 2
cyberspace jukebox (Sep '12) Wed YO VINNIE 1,193
News South Floridaa s El Balc n de las Americas and ... Tue cruzfelix 1
Is Delray Beach a nice place to live? (Jan '10) Jun 25 Go Blue Forever 57
News Lantana: Motel owner sued by guest who was robb... (Jul '07) Jun 19 sharonfine 20
News Delray Beach to consider tighter control of hal... (Apr '09) Jun 18 Sotrue 38
Boynton Beach Music Thread (Oct '13) Jun 17 Musikologist 6
More from around the web

Delray Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Delray Beach Mortgages