Delray Beach to consider tighter control of halfway houses

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Everyone agrees there's a problem. Unscrupulous landlords decide to make extra bucks by converting their homes to halfway houses for recovering substance abusers, only to take their rent money and kick them out after a relapse.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of32
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
cry me a river

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2009

Judged:

You're welcome to help people but just not in my city:(...What would Jesus do??
hmmmm

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2009

yea! finally some resolve to a REAL problem here in Delray Beach!
NWO

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2009

Judged:

My brother has lived in several sober houses in Delray. He became cynical about how the landlords were only interested in the money. From my perspective, I never got the idea that there was much (if any) in the way supervision or 'therapy', it was left up to the individual to hold himself accountable to AA or whatever.
I am in favor of having less 'sober houses' and more 'accountability houses'. You are right about the 'no second chances' policy, you screw up and you're out of there immediately...no matter what time of day. Apparently even the threat of instant homelessness it is not enough of a deterent to keep 'straight'. The pathology of addiction is a terrible thing to be caught up in. I applaud those who fight to stay sober, those who stand by them and give them the tough love. I decry those who look to make a fast buck and blight any neighborhood.
There has to be accommodation by both parties. I hope Delray can navigate through shark infested waters...good luck.
Rubicon

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2009

This article is exactly right. Delray (while wll intentioned) has become overrun with halfway houses, drug rehab centers, etc. It has become the No#1 spot in the nation for this!

However, the article has one important aspect completely wrong. The people from these institutions are not the victims of crimes. In fact they are often the perpetrator of the crimes!

Lets see... tak a bunch of people with drug or social problems and let them lose on the city of Delray. Now thats a good idea.
Just visit any of the cafe houses in town and you will see examples of the problem first hand.
Ricki

Greensboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2009

For those who remember the ACLU sued Delray beach for discrimination when Delray moved against unrelated Haitians living together. Delray lost. Boca just had to pay out big money for there action against Boca House (a halfway house). The Feds joined Boca House due to addicts being a "protected class w/ a disability). Tread lightly friends, people have tried this before and it has not turned out pretty. It seems individuals could take action if the halfway house used a disability against them, but town councils can not!
Big pimpin

Lake Worth, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2009

Let's just face it, it doesn't matter how much money the city wastes on fancy sidewalks and ornate streetlights. You can't polish a turd. There is a rehab, sober, or halfway house on almost every corner. This combined with 20 Haitians living in single family houses is nothing but a huge tax on the system. These places run the police and paramedics ragged, but aren't paying their fair share of the taxes. You'll have to wait for an ambulance because they're busy giving someone a free taxi ride to the emergency room because they have a toothache. It's time for the taxpayers to take this city back over.
delray local

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2009

Judged:

I hate rehabbers!!!
Everyone of them that I have hired turns out to be a loser.
I wish Delray would get rid of all of these places. The only thing that would happen is coffee and cigarette sales would drop a little but other than that we would get our city back. Also the Police and Fire would get a much needed break from their bull****.
Local

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2009

Judged:

Close down the yellow sober house on the corner of South Swinton, first, it's supposed to be all women (it is not), second, why is it called the heroin house? Because the very close by dealers await relapses. Third, this house and the surrounding houses are revolving doors with loud fights and mounds of trash left at the curb. These 'landlords' ought pay business license fees just as any other small business does and they should be charged extra because they continue to tax essential services (police, ambulance, paramedics, fire fighters). When many relapse, here far away from home, they turn to crime to pay for their drug of choice. If sober houses are classified as business wouldn't they be subject to comply with City, County, Fed codes as any other business and shouldn't the health department inspect? Further, Delray should ensure they are receiving sales tax.
stewart haynie

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

Judged:

who will wait tables in our resturants if the sober houses go away?? LOL
Muliple Years Sober

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

Judged:

To everyone of you in Delray Beach who bought these single family homes at the peak of the market and paid way too much for them - you can thank the rehabbers for paying your mortgages for the last couple of years.
Go ahead and try to push these sober houses out. Next thing we will see is you stupid idiots begging for a bailout of the poor financial decisions you made.
It's not about who will wait tables and it's not about bogging down our emergency services (I encourage you to actually investigate where all the calls come from, by the way it's public information on mydelraybeach.com .)
This is very simple, and quite honestly you idiots brought it on yourselves. You did what every red-blooded American did over the last several years and tried to get rich too quickly as well as tried to buy too much with too little of an annual salary to afford these things.
Now you are (or soon will be) trying to point a finger at just about anything rather than take the blame for your own stupidity.
So, if you think you can solve all of Delray Beach's problems by singling these sober houses out - it just makes you that much more of an imbicile.
That's ok though, we will be glad to watch you fail at this attempt as well and use your tax dollars to pay the recovery community a nice big settlement.
For this, we say THANK YOU!!!!!
14 Year Delray Resident

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

Judged:

In response to Multiple Years Sober's post, I could not agree more! I have been in Delray Beach for 14 years and I have employed many, many recovering alcoholics/addicts. If you interview right, you will hire right. Many of these people stay sober and become productive members of our community! I agree that there are some recovery houses that are not doing the right thing and that is where the "trouble" comes from. If you do your homework, you will find that there are houses that are run ethically and morally. There might not be a lot of them but, they are out there. Let's help the city by supporting the good houses and getting rid of the bad ones! The 1st one on the list that should be shut down is New Beginnings - the 700 block of South Swinton. That is where most of the trouble comes from - the owners are drunks and do not care about anything but money! Let's investigate the bad and leave the good alone!
Disgusted

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2009

Judged:

Yes indeed now that 700 block of Swinton has unfortunately moved and tarnished a good neighborhood. They are off of george bush on NE 9th ave and bringing down that neighborhood with drug dealers living as clients and one of their male staff.Most of the clients have had the police called for OD's fights or other reasons you name it. And the money hungry owner is too busy defending her own DUI's and supporting her own drug habit to care. She strings poor parents along while screwing the male staff. The male staff consists of one guy who is a sexoffender drug user who allows the clients to get high until there is an OD and then he kicks all the ones out that should have been kicked out along time ago. nThis is definetly a poor excuse for a halfway house no wonder they don't go to the association meetings. The staff couldn't pass the drug tests!
serventofgod

Hockessin, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

Judged:

Beware
New Beginnings
George Bush & NE 9th Avenue
Donna Rice
George McCracken
May the lord have mercy on your souls
serventofgod

Hockessin, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

Judged:

Disgusted wrote:
Yes indeed now that 700 block of Swinton has unfortunately moved and tarnished a good neighborhood. They are off of george bush on NE 9th ave and bringing down that neighborhood with drug dealers living as clients and one of their male staff.Most of the clients have had the police called for OD's fights or other reasons you name it. And the money hungry owner is too busy defending her own DUI's and supporting her own drug habit to care. She strings poor parents along while screwing the male staff. The male staff consists of one guy who is a sexoffender drug user who allows the clients to get high until there is an OD and then he kicks all the ones out that should have been kicked out along time ago. nThis is definetly a poor excuse for a halfway house no wonder they don't go to the association meetings. The staff couldn't pass the drug tests!
Rest in peace. Their day is near. Pray for them both.
Noneyabusiness

Apopka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2010

Judged:

I was a client at this place before they moved to their new location. It was supposed to run more stringently, but I have heard its worse than ever. What a crying shame and unfortunately Donna and George will have to pay the "pretty" price of someone losing their life on property before they wake up and smell the coffee.

Instead of it being a safe place to live for those in recovery, its more like a safe place to use for those in addictive addiction. Most come in using their drug of choice and leave with multiple drugs of choice. Very very sad!!!
a Christian

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

serventofgod wrote:
<quoted text>
Rest in peace. Their day is near. Pray for them both.
If you are a "Servent of God" then you should be familiar with John 8:7 in which Jesus said "let he among you who is without sin cast the first stone"
a Christian

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

If you are a "Servent of God" then you should be familiar with John 8:7 in which Jesus says, "let he among you who is without sin cast the first stone"

In modern terms -- "Check YOURSELF"
a Christian

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

Oh yeah, the correct spelling is servAnt.
Bystander

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2010

As an individual in recovery and very active in the recovery community in Delray, I know a LOT of people who have gone thru New Beginnings. The new location was supposed to be better, but it actually got worse. The live-in men's manager allows clients to do whatever they want. No rules are enforced and there are no consequences for breaking rules or using. clients who use get a 3 day vacation away from property, and most of them keep on using. i don't no of any other 1/2way house that lets people in with a dirty drug test, but New Beginnings does. It IS a nice place, so if your looking for a luxury type environment I guess its ok on that side, but if your looking for a safe, sober environment, then this is NOT the place for you. I also thinks its pretty unprofessional that the mens manager is having a "relationship" with the lady who owns it. How can he watch the clients when he spends all his nites at his bosses' house? And apparently she should go to rehab herself. One good thing at the new place is that they dont handle clients medications anymore so she can't steal them. If you are a parent looking for a 1/2way house for your child, do not send them to New Beginnings. You will just be wasting your money.
Unsuspecting Parent

Rochester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2010

I was one of the parents who believed the sober houses would have more structure. Instead my son relapsed was sent out on the street and yes my money was taken. He is now in a rehab and tells me there was more drugs and dealers at the house than on the streets. Yes ifb he really wants to recover he could but they are addicts and made bad choices to begin with. I thank God everyday for the mercy he gives me to get cope with my sons addiction. God be with you

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of32
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Delray Beach Forum right now

Search the Delray Beach Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Review: Enterprise Rent-A-Car 4 hr RichG 1
FL 'Hiccup girl' charged with murder in Florida (Oct '10) 6 hr Aaron 1,838
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) Thu Panamaed 2,631
Deputies: Bar manager throws customer, 72, to g... Apr 17 frequent_customer 2
cyberspace jukebox (Sep '12) Apr 16 YO VINNIE 880
Review: My Personal Handyman Apr 14 Jasmine 1
Boynton Beach woman wins 'Miss Trixter' at nati... (Mar '09) Apr 13 sarah cretul 121
•••
•••
•••
Delray Beach Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Delray Beach Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Delray Beach People Search