Tippecanoe River water level drops

Full story: WLFI Lafayette

As of this afternoon, water levels have dropped significantly. Judging from the tree lines and the sides of homes it is easy to see the water is going down.
Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Mar 13, 2009
Mike Gaylor

Lafayette, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

FLOODING ON THE TIPPECANOE RIVER

How many times are the Dam Operators for Oakdale & Norway going to let Lake Freeman and The Tippecanoe River get way above flood stage. This can be prevented ……. just like it has been prevented the last 40 years; until 2008. This is the third time in a year, enough is enough.

Always before when the Dam Operators heard about a weather forecast in the winter months of a large amount of rain or even melting snow and ice; they started letting out more water and brought the lake levels down to compensate for some of the extra water, on the way. Anticipation and Foresight !

But today, they are expecting automation to control the levels of the lakes; which is all well and good in the summer months and under normal conditions. BUT IN THE WINTER, WHEN THE GROUND IS SATURATED AND FROZE; ANY LARGE AMOUNTS OF RAIN CAN NOT BE HANDLED BY THE DAMS WITHOUT UNCONTROLLED FLOODING. THE DAMS HAVE TO GET AN EARLY START ON THE EXPECTED WEATHER AND DROP THE LAKE LEVELS 2 TO 3 FEET IN ANTICIPATION OF THE RAINS OR EVEN THE NORMAL MELTOFF THAT WE WILL GET.
Ed McKinley

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Dave McDowell needs to catch onto the reality of global warming. Temperatures are rising and rainfall is becoming more erratic. That's why we're getting all these floods.

And here's a message for NIPSCO. You say the lakes can't hold enough water to control flooding. Maybe. But how about trying? Why not lower the lake levels significantly in late winter?

Lisa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

I agree. NIPSCO is part of the . We've only been on the river for seven years, but it's never been this bad. We've been told that the Army Corp of Engineers handled it properly and the problem has been since it's been controlled by NIPSCO.
San

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

In addition, if summer dwellers pull out of the area because of the flooding, it will have a devastating economic impact on Monticello. If there it is proven true that NIPSCO is negligent, I'm thinking class action!
clayton rice

Monticello, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

I have lived here for twenty five years and never had this problem before 2008.We have never ben wet until NIPSCO took over thay need to git off there high horse and go take some sericous training. from the army cor of engineers THAY KNOW WHAT thay are doing with the damns. proof is in the puudding.
Iam redoing my house FORE THE (THIRD TIME) THANK YOU very much NIPSCO
(NOT)
sandra spalding

Monticello, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

I been on the river fof three years. I alaways love the fiver thats way im here.But theres a problem with the control with the dam.Before NIPSCO took over.No one had a problem with flooding.Not like we have had since JANURAY 2008.People had done there houses three differnt times. something got to give.NIPSCO needs to put people in there to control the dam and the control if the water. The AUTOMATIVE SYSTME IS NOT WORKING.KNOW where is everone suppose to to get HELP.
TLH

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

My prayers are for all of you!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Delphi Discussions

Search the Delphi Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Man who threatened to blow up courthouse pleads... Thu N8 the Grrr8 2
Is Lafayette Police Lt. Tom Davidson An Idiot? Jul 22 Bad apples bad cops 3
Indiana officer to keep job after pushing over ... Jul 22 Bad apples bad cops 1
Fourteen police officers receive recognition fo... (Apr '08) Jul 22 Ordinary Person 18
CPS, Judge Faith Graham, others Torturing Jamel... Jul 22 Ordinary Person 2
Indiana cougar sightings to become common (May '08) Jul 13 Ann 127
Review: Creative Solutions Jul 13 DC Creative Solutions 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Delphi Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••