Destructive Squirrels

Posted in the Dellwood Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
A little looney

United States

#1 Oct 21, 2011
Has anyone noticed how destructive the squirrels are lately? Went outside to put trash in Can and out jumps 2 squirrels from inside the trash container! Scared the bejeebees out of me! They actually "ate" a large hole in top front side of can.Does anyone have the same problems with them? They also ate a hole in our large red heavy plastic gas can for lawnmower which I'll have to replace.They had to climb ontop of 3 bags of trash already in container.These squirrels are the "flying type";kind of like super-man!ha!ha!
neighbor

Florissant, MO

#2 Oct 21, 2011
It seems as though there are more squirrels around this year than past years. We found a few dead ones in our pool a few weeks ago.
Rocky

Florissant, MO

#3 Oct 21, 2011
Hey people chill will ya. We're just going nutz over the Cards just like everyone else. After the Cards clinch the Series, we'll all be back to normal.

Neighbor and the rest of y'all with pools, please drain them for the season. Arlo and Jethro weren't the only two causalities of drownings this year. We don't have the best eyesight and can't tell the pool has water in it until we climb in. At least we know where Arlo and Jethro are now and we can rest knowing they are in a better place.

~Rocky~
Mr Renaud

Saint Louis, MO

#4 Oct 21, 2011
There are several reasons for the squirrel population explosion. It is related to weather, food supply and predators.
Those factors have combined for a "perfect storm" in terms of the squirrel population explosion.
We had 11 squirrels in our front and back yard at one point during one recent afternoon.
Any creature can be destructive when their population gets out of control.
Squirrels are rodents which means their teeth grow continuously. They gnaw on things to prevent their teeth from getting too long. In the wilds they mostly use dead tree limbs or the hulls of their food sources. In the suburbs they will use your property like wood porches or picnic tables or other wood around your home or on it.
Feeding song birds will bring additional squirrels to your yard since bird seed is an easy food source for squirrels.
You can trap them but studies have shown that relocation needs to be quite some distance since they will instinctively return to their home territory. Studies have shown some have returned after being dropped 20 miles from the capture point!
Lately I have seen quite a few that have been killed by cars.
I was talking to a guy that lives in St. Charles and the squirrels were getting into his attic. The costs of paying for a trapping service and the repairs to his home cost him over 1000 bucks since the beginning of the year. And he still had the squirrel problem even after all that!
Recently he bought his own trap and has begun trapping them and then he lowers the trap into his pond. He says the problem has started to decrease but he has already disposed of over a dozen squirrels. He said that he can clear out a bunch and a few days later a new group shows up.
Yes, we have a clear squirrel overpopulation problem.
Neighbors

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Oct 21, 2011
Reverend Vegas wrote:
I shot a dozen or so squirrels around my property and that seemed to curb the population. They are avid reproducers and have to be dealt with by hunting. Put out a pile of popcorn seeds in a place where you can take a safe shot without possibility of it straying. Use either a bb gun or 22lr in a CB round...they're so quite all you hear is the pin hitting the primer. Very accurate and effective. BB's work...sometimes.
If you're not willing to kill them....then tough shiznat.
I was picking off quite a few with a BB rifle. Then the neighbors wife next door started complaining because it upset their children knowing the man next door was killing the little vermin.
I talked to the husband and showed him all the damage on his house and mine and he said, "Try to get them when the kids are in school."
Problem there is I am at work when they are at school.
So now we got a bunch of them again.
I like the idea of a trapping and drowning the little vermin.
Aerosol Flynn

Saint Louis, MO

#8 Oct 22, 2011
Reverend Vegas wrote:
Soak the popcorn seeds in full strength engine coolant and then put it out. They will be delighted to death by it's sweet taste.
I wish there was something I could spray on the wood on our house and our deck that would poison the little rats as soon as they start chewing. I thought about running electricity out to a pole a bird feeder on it and then sit and wait for the squirrels then flip the power on when they climb the pole. That is a shocking thought!
shooting

Florissant, MO

#9 Oct 25, 2011
Neighbors wrote:
<quoted text>
I was picking off quite a few with a BB rifle. Then the neighbors wife next door started complaining because it upset their children knowing the man next door was killing the little vermin.
I talked to the husband and showed him all the damage on his house and mine and he said, "Try to get them when the kids are in school."
Problem there is I am at work when they are at school.
So now we got a bunch of them again.
I like the idea of a trapping and drowning the little vermin.
Be thankful you don't have my neighbors because they would call the police on you the first time they saw the bb gun in your hand. She is psychotic and a lunatic though, so that may be the reason she acts out.
Salem Mo Boy

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Oct 25, 2011
shooting wrote:
<quoted text>
Be thankful you don't have my neighbors because they would call the police on you the first time they saw the bb gun in your hand. She is psychotic and a lunatic though, so that may be the reason she acts out.
It is too bad so many people get upset at things like BB guns or killing vermin.

I talked to a local lady who thought killing squirrels was inhumane. When I asked her if she has ever had mice and she said yes and that she put out poison and it got rid of them. Poison sounds less humane than a gun to me.

I am not sure why some people see a difference between too many mice destroying property or too many squirrels doing the same thing. They are both rodents and both destructive and both can have population explosions that make them a big problem for home owners.

Last night I took a long walk and I wish I had a dollar for all the times I saw 2 to 5 squirrels in close proximity to each other.
I did not count but during that 2 miles I bet I saw well over 50 squirrels.

I use to squirrel hunt with my father back in the 50's. He liked squirrel, I never developed much of an appetite for them. But back then you were lucky to get your limit in a whole day of hunting. I think the bag limit back them was about 5. Now it's 10.
I bet I could bag ten in an hour within 2 blocks of my house.
wascally wabbit

Florissant, MO

#11 Oct 25, 2011
Aerosol Flynn wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish there was something I could spray on the wood on our house and our deck that would poison the little rats as soon as they start chewing. I thought about running electricity out to a pole a bird feeder on it and then sit and wait for the squirrels then flip the power on when they climb the pole. That is a shocking thought!
1 bottle of louisanna hot sauce to 1 galon of water, spray house spray garden, flowers
A little looney

United States

#12 Oct 25, 2011
By George wascally wabbit you are a genius!!!! That's a perfect solution!
its the trees

Florissant, MO

#13 Oct 25, 2011
Homeowners are lazy and cheap. The first and most important thing to remember about squirrels is they need trees to build nests. Tree branches too close to the house attracts squirrels to your roof and into your attic. Keeping the trees pruned and thinned out will discourage them from building their nests. I see squirrels catapulting off tree branches onto roofs of houses all the time. Tree branches touching the siding of a house near vents are the easiest points of entry. Years ago we had a couple of trees trimmed and one removed close to the house and the next year we only saw the squirrels further up the street where the trees were unruly and growing wildly. People only think of trimming trees in the line of power lines and they refuse to incur the expense of trimming their trees that isn't even close to the utility easement. They want Ameren to do it for them free. Then bitch when the branch pulls down a power line.
wascally wabbit

Florissant, MO

#14 Oct 25, 2011
its the trees wrote:
Homeowners are lazy and cheap. The first and most important thing to remember about squirrels is they need trees to build nests. Tree branches too close to the house attracts squirrels to your roof and into your attic. Keeping the trees pruned and thinned out will discourage them from building their nests. I see squirrels catapulting off tree branches onto roofs of houses all the time. Tree branches touching the siding of a house near vents are the easiest points of entry. Years ago we had a couple of trees trimmed and one removed close to the house and the next year we only saw the squirrels further up the street where the trees were unruly and growing wildly. People only think of trimming trees in the line of power lines and they refuse to incur the expense of trimming their trees that isn't even close to the utility easement. They want Ameren to do it for them free. Then bitch when the branch pulls down a power line.
city squirrels adapt no tree's near my house they use the phone lines and power lines to get to houses, i trapped 35 this summer in my garden by useing a rat trap screwed to a board leaning up against a power line pole, my first crop of tomatoes they got along with bell peppers, that was the last straw, but make sure you have a small game permit when you decide to off rocky
Nah

Saint Louis, MO

#15 Oct 25, 2011
wascally wabbit wrote:
<quoted text> city squirrels adapt no tree's near my house they use the phone lines and power lines to get to houses, i trapped 35 this summer in my garden by useing a rat trap screwed to a board leaning up against a power line pole, my first crop of tomatoes they got along with bell peppers, that was the last straw, but make sure you have a small game permit when you decide to off rocky
No small game permit needed.
Killing destructive vermin is not considered hunting.

I wondered if a rat trap would kill those beggars.
The only thing that worried me about rat traps is killing birds that mess with the bait.
With a live trap, if you catch a bird you can turn it loose.
I have caught several birds in mine.
You can catch a few squirrels every day with a live trap. I caught about 20 in a two week period and it slowed them down but it did not eliminate them at all. I was still seeing 3 and 4 at a time in our yard.
The number of squirrels this year is amazing. I can't remember seeing any thing like it ever.
wascally wabbit

Florissant, MO

#16 Oct 26, 2011
Nah wrote:
<quoted text>
No small game permit needed.
Killing destructive vermin is not considered hunting.
I wondered if a rat trap would kill those beggars.
The only thing that worried me about rat traps is killing birds that mess with the bait.
With a live trap, if you catch a bird you can turn it loose.
I have caught several birds in mine.
You can catch a few squirrels every day with a live trap. I caught about 20 in a two week period and it slowed them down but it did not eliminate them at all. I was still seeing 3 and 4 at a time in our yard.
The number of squirrels this year is amazing. I can't remember seeing any thing like it ever.
you dont have to bait it, a squirrel is lazy and he will take the easiest route, for me the board was the route he took for me. if you use a live trap no licences needed but if you kill them you do need them, per city hall thats what they told me any way
License to kill

AOL

#17 Oct 26, 2011
wascally wabbit wrote:
<quoted text> you dont have to bait it, a squirrel is lazy and he will take the easiest route, for me the board was the route he took for me. if you use a live trap no licences needed but if you kill them you do need them, per city hall thats what they told me any way
In Missouri, If you hunt and kill squirrels or rabbits, you must have a Missouri hunting license,(gun or trap) If you kill them. And, there is a restricted season.

If you live trap and relocate, you do not need a license or follow the restrictions.

Rabbits and Squirrels are protected by regulation by the Missouri Department of Conservation.

Other problem may be, discharging a firearm, could lead to some problems.

Poisoned baits may kill other things, such as dogs, cates, birds, etc.
Jeremiah

Saint Louis, MO

#18 Oct 26, 2011
The Wildlife Code of Missouri, Rule 3CSR10-4.130: Owner May Protect Property. "Subject to federal regulations governing the protection of property from migratory birds, any wildlife except deer, turkey, black bears and any endangered species which beyond reasonable doubt is damaging property may be captured or killed by the owner of the property being damaged, or by his/her agent, at any time and without permit, but only by shooting or trapping except by written authorization of the director. Except as authorized, use of traps shall be in compliance with 3CSR10-8.510. Wildlife may be so controlled only on the owner's property to pre-vent further damage. Wildlife so captured or killed may not be used, transported, sold or given away but must be reported to an agent of the department within twenty-four (24) hours and disposed of in accordance with his/her instructions. Deer, black bears and endangered species that are causing damage may be killed only with the permission of an agent of the department and by methods authorized by him/her. "

Okay.
Nah

Saint Louis, MO

#19 Oct 26, 2011
Jeremiah wrote:
The Wildlife Code of Missouri, Rule 3CSR10-4.130: Owner May Protect Property. "Subject to federal regulations governing the protection of property from migratory birds, any wildlife except deer, turkey, black bears and any endangered species which beyond reasonable doubt is damaging property may be captured or killed by the owner of the property being damaged, or by his/her agent, at any time and without permit, but only by shooting or trapping except by written authorization of the director. Except as authorized, use of traps shall be in compliance with 3CSR10-8.510. Wildlife may be so controlled only on the owner's property to pre-vent further damage. Wildlife so captured or killed may not be used, transported, sold or given away but must be reported to an agent of the department within twenty-four (24) hours and disposed of in accordance with his/her instructions. Deer, black bears and endangered species that are causing damage may be killed only with the permission of an agent of the department and by methods authorized by him/her. "
Okay.
Here is what I see, the very first words:
"Owner May Protect Property."
I also see this:
Squirrels are NOT listed as an "endangered species".
Similar to rats and mice that are not considered game, it seems to me that if I am killing off an over-populated vermin, like squirrel, they do not come under the category of "game".
wascally wabbit

Florissant, MO

#20 Oct 26, 2011
squirrel is considered small game per wildlife code, it is not a rat or rodent, if your going to read the wildlife code book read it all [species][small game]if you shoot a squirrel in florissant with a pellet gun they can ticket you for fire arm violation if they want to and not only that if you dont have a hunting permit they can call conservation in on this, then its hunting without a licences, yes you have the right to protect your property but you have to be legal about it, some times the state code and the city code collides so be careful
Justin Baitman

Saint Louis, MO

#22 Oct 27, 2011
Reverend Vegas wrote:
A squirrel is considered small game under Missouri wildlife code. But I'll be damned if I've seen a conservation officer in Florissant...and I'll be damn surprised if an officer of the law gave a damn about some guy offing a squirrel in his back yard. I've done my part. But this one squirrel...he knows that if he stays on the fence line...he's out of the line of fire...he's never strayed...even for popcorn.
Bastard
Absolutely right.(And funny.)
Even if we "offed" half the squirrels in this town, we'd still have an over-population of them.
Game wardens are more concerned with actual hunters. Pest control by homeowners comes more under the jurisdiction of the local police and health departments.
Try sunflower seeds, shelled or unshelled as bait, I haven't seen a squirrel yet that doesn't find them irresistible. A dab of peanut butter also adds some smell they find attractive. Nuts tend to not be good bait because the squirrels grab the nut and quickly run off to hide it. They sit there and eat sunflower seeds, especially the shelled ones. Raw unshelled sunflower seed is available in some grocery stores especially those with bulk foods.
wascally wabbit

Florissant, MO

#23 Oct 27, 2011
dont get me wrong i agree in what you say, they are sneaky little buggers and smart they will wait till you go in the house before they will come back down the pole or fence, but as we cut more tree's down and clear land they have to go somewhere and its our bad luck its our back yard, heres some hints if your going to use a pellet gun you need to be sitting out side at day break, feeding time, or right after a shower [rain] or late in the evening, feeding time, this is when you will see the most squirrels. happy hunting and watch out for the one holding the 50 cal lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dellwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 5 min James 4,035
Deadly force a " in black and white 8 min James 95
White people are our natural enemies. 9 min James 849
Corrections officer confronted by protesters be... 14 min Dog Man 3
New fear: What happens in Ferguson if no charges? 23 min Here Is One 1,309
Teen's Shooting Highlights Racial Tension 30 min Dog Man 3,443
Blacks should praise white people for saving them 31 min Drgunzet 5
Dellwood Dating
Find my Match

Dellwood Jobs