Mingo commissioners mum on Baisden after guilty plea

Oct 3, 2013 Full story: Charleston Gazette 56

Mingo County commissioners won't seek the early ouster of fellow Commissioner David Baisden, who pleaded guilty to a federal extortion charge Tuesday -- meaning Baisden can stay on the commission and get paid for months.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Country Girl

Fort Wayne, IN

#1 Oct 3, 2013
This is part of the article on this story:

Baisden was arrested Aug. 15.

Baisden must resign from the commission as a condition of his plea sometime before he is sentenced Jan. 14. Until then, he's an elected official and would draw his $36,000 annual salary from the county, Commission President John Mark Hubbard said Wednesday.

$36,000 divided by 12 =$3,000 Monthly

Say he gets paid 2 x per month =$1,500 per check

2nd half of August -$ 1,500
September -$ 3,000
October -$ 3,000
November -$ 3,000
December -$ 3,000
Sentence 1/14/14 -$ 1,500

Total paid by
Taxpayers -$15,000

So this non-working Commissioner gets paid $15,000 for not working!!!

Can the Citizens in Mingo County not get the county commission to force this Guy to resign and stop his paychecks?? What a waste of taxpayer money!!
Outrage

Lenore, WV

#2 Oct 3, 2013
Country Girl wrote:
This is part of the article on this story:
Baisden was arrested Aug. 15.
Baisden must resign from the commission as a condition of his plea sometime before he is sentenced Jan. 14. Until then, he's an elected official and would draw his $36,000 annual salary from the county, Commission President John Mark Hubbard said Wednesday.
$36,000 divided by 12 =$3,000 Monthly
Say he gets paid 2 x per month =$1,500 per check
2nd half of August -$ 1,500
September -$ 3,000
October -$ 3,000
November -$ 3,000 Are you kidding me????
December -$ 3,000
Sentence 1/14/14 -$ 1,500
Total paid by
Taxpayers -$15,000
So this non-working Commissioner gets paid $15,000 for not working!!!
Can the Citizens in Mingo County not get the county commission to force this Guy to resign and stop his paychecks?? What a waste of taxpayer money!!
Are you Kidding me? No more
WAKE UP

Logan, WV

#3 Oct 3, 2013
What?

And put their own salaries at risk should the same fate befall them?

Not a chance!
Country Girl

Fort Wayne, IN

#4 Oct 3, 2013
What I am wondering is if the Mingo County residents can petition the commission to FORCE Mr. Baisden to resign effective immediately with NO FURTHER PAYCHECKS??

Call out to FOUND DOUBT....In your research, can you come up with something to help the citizens of Mingo County get this guy ousted legally?
1 post removed

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#6 Oct 3, 2013
Specifically request that they assist you in removing him from office.

Public Hearings

The members of the Ethics Commission constitute a hearing board to adjudicate the complaint. Their decision is based on evidence taken at a public hearing prosecuted by the Commission's attorney before a hearing examiner. It is not necessary for the complainant to appear at the hearing unless it is requested that he or she appears as a witness. A respondent need not be represented by counsel at the hearing.

If seven of the twelve commissioners find beyond a reasonable doubt that the accused has committed a material violation of the Ethics Act the Commission has authority to impose one or more of the following sanctions:

1. Public reprimand;
2. Cease and desist order;
3. Order of restitution;
4. Fines not to exceed $ 5,000 per violation; and/or
5. Reimbursement to the Commission for the actual costs of investigating and prosecuting a violation.

The Commission may also recommend to the appropriate governmental authority that the person be DISCHARGED or REMOVED from office.
Awn Anon

Charleston, WV

#7 Oct 3, 2013
foundoubt wrote:
Specifically request that they assist you in removing him from office.
Public Hearings
The members of the Ethics Commission constitute a hearing board to adjudicate the complaint. Their decision is based on evidence taken at a public hearing prosecuted by the Commission's attorney before a hearing examiner. It is not necessary for the complainant to appear at the hearing unless it is requested that he or she appears as a witness. A respondent need not be represented by counsel at the hearing.
If seven of the twelve commissioners find beyond a reasonable doubt that the accused has committed a material violation of the Ethics Act the Commission has authority to impose one or more of the following sanctions:
1. Public reprimand;
2. Cease and desist order;
3. Order of restitution;
4. Fines not to exceed $ 5,000 per violation; and/or
5. Reimbursement to the Commission for the actual costs of investigating and prosecuting a violation.
The Commission may also recommend to the appropriate governmental authority that the person be DISCHARGED or REMOVED from office.
Who are the members of the Ethics Commission? Are they in Charleston?

Location hidden

#8 Oct 3, 2013
Awn Anon wrote:
<quoted text> Who are the members of the Ethics Commission? Are they in Charleston?
Ethics Commission Members

Kemp Morton - Chairperson - Cabell County
Drema Radford - Vice Chairperson - Raleigh County
Jack Buckalew - Kanawha County
Ronald G. Salmons - Lincoln County
Jonathan E. Turak - Ohio County
Monte Williams - Monongalia County
Fr. Douglas Sutton - Marion County
Robert Wolfe - Logan County
Terry Walker - Jefferson County
(three vacancies)

----------

Members of Probable Cause Review Board

James E. Shepherd II, Chairperson - Cabell County
Dan Guida - Hancock County
Michael Kawash - Kanawha County

----------

Members of Open Government Meetings Committee

Drema Radford - Chairperson
Jack Buckalew - Member
Ron Salmons - Member

----------

Members of Administrative Law Judge Committee

Jon Turak - Chairperson
Kemp Morton - Member
Terry Markowski

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Oct 3, 2013
Surely the people of Mingo County won't re-elect these retards back in office?

Why not protest out in front of the Courthouse? The state i live in ... people would of done put black hoods on and stormed that place and horse whipped them. Don't hide behind a computer and just yack back and forth.

I thought people down there were supposed to be tough and not take shit !?!?!

Yet, you hide behind a computer under a fake name a bash a female lawyer and whine like 3rd graders about the rest of the politicians. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT !!!!! Quit being cowards, people.

Oh, you're afraid of retaliation !?! LMAO, bullshit. You're just cowards !! PEORID, THE END!

“purty is as purty does”

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#10 Oct 3, 2013
You should look at the picture accompanying the article concerning the commission meeting. Did that escape your eagle eye? Are there people at the meeting? Where the he'll ARE. you from?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Pot meet Pot

Charleston, WV

#11 Oct 3, 2013
Terry Markowski wrote:
Why not protest out in front of the Courthouse? The state i live in ... people would of done put black hoods on and stormed that place and horse whipped them. Don't hide behind a computer and just yack back and forth.
Yet, you hide behind a computer under a fake name a bash a female lawyer and whine like 3rd graders about the rest of the politicians. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT !!!!! Quit being cowards, people.
Oh, you're afraid of retaliation !?! LMAO, bullshit. You're just cowards !! PEORID, THE END!
I am not afraid to tell you that you should have used spell check! You also gave your true intentions away when you brought in the "bash a female lawyer..." You want us to stop that, right? I just don't think that is going to happen, but thanks for your input. Now, why don't you go for a nice long walk and pick up some of the trash along the sidewalks there? Do something productive and whistle a happy tune while you do it!!! Hugs to NY!
cari anon

Corbin, KY

#12 Oct 3, 2013
Is that the dead markowski ?

Location hidden

#13 Oct 3, 2013
Terry Markowski wrote:
Yeah, right. The state you live in elected Barney Frank, Nanny Bloomberg, Eliot Spitzer, Hillary "amnesiac" Clinton, and has given the nation too many scandals to enumerate.
Rotten Apple

Huntington, IN

#14 Oct 3, 2013
Terry Markowski wrote:
When was the last time anyone wore blackhoods and stormed any government building in your state? Hell,you're just as cowardly as those you accuse. In fact,You're even more obsequious amongst your corrupted politicos than the folks of Mingo.
cari anon

Corbin, KY

#15 Oct 3, 2013
Is the aforesaid lawyer the one with the surprised look? Check out her Facebook today.
Fat as Nero

Huntington, IN

#16 Oct 3, 2013
Outrage wrote:
<quoted text> Are you Kidding me? No more
The elephant in the room is......Why are the commissioners allowing Baisden to continue drawing a taxpayer check?

Is it....

#1- They value his friendship over the honest/genuine interests of the voters and residents of the county.

Or...

#2- Baisden has dirt on them and he is going to take advantage of every opportunity afforded him to exploit the situation.

Fat as Nero

Huntington, IN

#17 Oct 3, 2013
#3- All of the above.
Anon

Charleston, WV

#18 Oct 3, 2013
Rarely, if ever, are these articles from the Williamson Daily News. Odd.
Confidential Informant

Hurricane, WV

#19 Oct 3, 2013
Maybe one of the guys promised not to rat on the other two if they did not fire him. And give him some sort of job later, of course.

Location hidden

#20 Oct 3, 2013
cari anon wrote:
Is that the dead markowski ?
These are probably all relatives of Byron White. Perhaps they are having a sťance "in the winds of cyberspace" to rid this site of the "ghost writers".
JULIE

Logan, WV

#21 Oct 3, 2013
They are afraid of Dave, I would not care to bet that he knows a lot on them. I hear that it is just a matter of time that they will get Hootie and John Mark.Their days of campaigning are over. Dave will no longer go on peoples property and jerk campaign signs up out of their yards, and threaten the people. Hootie and Jonh Mark,you should know all about this because you have been with him.I feel sorry for the people you go to church with, they must be very blind to not see you for what you are. People like you makes a church look bad.The good citizens know you all are nothing but crooks, and liars.YOU HAVE STOLEN THE tax PAYERS MONEY FOR YEARS,I hope the Feds find a way to get back the tax payers money, if it means you have to sell your homes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Delbarton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last word game (Apr '10) 3 hr Analog man 4,705
One word......Your one word reply... (Apr '09) 3 hr Analog man 6,198
New Game*** Last Word++2 (Mar '12) 3 hr Analog man 2,628
Diann Hannah For county Commission 20 hr Mingo County Resi... 41
Lori Zornes Hall 23 hr TAmmy E 1
4 Letter Word Game lol (Feb '09) Sat honeymylove 6,166
Final guilty plea in Mt. Laurel case Nov 20 june 16
Delbarton Dating
Find my Match

Delbarton People Search