buckeye valley school district levy/bond issue

Posted in the Delaware Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
buckeye valley supporter

United States

#1 Jun 3, 2012
Do you think Buckeye Valley School District should keep the dual issue of a bond/levy on the August 7, 2012 ballot or save the $42,000 for a later better organized try? The 3 elementary schools really do need updating or new school/s built to meet the state curriculum upgrades coming in 2014. What do you think should be done? Thanks
BV parent of 4

Canton, OH

#2 Jun 4, 2012
I'm split on the bond/levy. A new elementary is just a matter of time and money. I would like to see it happen sooner rather than later. I also think they need to close North even though it will be painful. Right now it is just burning money we don't have as illustrated in the operating reports released earlier. Moving the kids to E & W and the MS will save money in the short term. Then the district can move ahead quickly on a new elem. while not throwing money away at the same time. I trust that the admin and teachers will still maintain the highest level of education for our students in the short term and it will only be even better when we have operate even more efficiently.
Definite NO

Piketon, OH

#3 Jun 4, 2012
I plan to vote no on the school levy. The current board wastes money like no other. Especially Tom Kaelber. He needs to go.
buckeye valley supporter

United States

#4 Jun 4, 2012
Thanks for your great input. Could you pass the word about this discussion to interested BV constituents? The more thoughts expressed about this complex issue the better. It is a great school and I am proud to support it.
BV parent of 4 wrote:
I'm split on the bond/levy. A new elementary is just a matter of time and money. I would like to see it happen sooner rather than later. I also think they need to close North even though it will be painful. Right now it is just burning money we don't have as illustrated in the operating reports released earlier. Moving the kids to E & W and the MS will save money in the short term. Then the district can move ahead quickly on a new elem. while not throwing money away at the same time. I trust that the admin and teachers will still maintain the highest level of education for our students in the short term and it will only be even better when we have operate even more efficiently.
buckeye valley supporter

United States

#5 Jun 4, 2012
Thanks for your input. Your views are really important. Pass the word about the thread and tell me more about why your vote is a no. What is missing? Best regards
Definite NO wrote:
I plan to vote no on the school levy. The current board wastes money like no other. Especially Tom Kaelber. He needs to go.
Jeremiah

Radnor, OH

#6 Jun 4, 2012
This is a tough one for me. My kids went to Radnor, as did I and both of my parents. As much as I would love to see Radnor have a school I also can see the writing on the wall. The board and administration want a centralized "Taj Mahal" elementary campus. New elementary schools in Radnor, Ashley and Ostrander have been mentioned but I don't think they were ever seriously considered.
Fine.
But where are the board members and admin? When Delaware City had their levy last year the board and admin were at as many events as possible to explain why the levy was needed. Our board and admin have had meetings and expect people to come to them. That isn't how this should be. They should be doing the foot work and going to ball games, parades any chance to explain and persuade.
Of course, that would be quite a long drive for our superintendent wouldn't it?
As of right now, I am on the fence. If you are going to close down the central point of a community, which Radnor school is, you better be telling me why.
Yes, I understand why the old building should go. It hurts, but I understand. But why one school? Again, I believe it is because they have a Taj Mahal in mind....
Jeremiah

Richwood, OH

#7 Jun 5, 2012
Final thought: A centralized elementary school would create a lot more driving headaches for parents. Remember,area wise, BV is the largest district in the state.
Concerned BV Mom

Powell, OH

#8 Jun 5, 2012
Definite NO wrote:
Tom Kaelber is the only one listening to the community. In fact, I find it interesting that you think he needs to go, when he received the MOST votes last fall to be re-elected. I think that speaks volumes. The people talked.

The current administration has had a one-school mentality for awhile and has forced it upon us. Two years ago they moved the pre-school from Radnor to Ostrander. Last year they moved the Kilbourne area kids to Ashley. If those moves had not happened, the numbers at Radnor would have made more sense. Also, please keep in mind that no money has been put into Radnor as it was with the other elementary schools. Coincidence?

Looking at the new 5 year forecast that was released in May, there is enough money to operate all three elementariness next year. There was an increase in Revenue from the taxes that they did not anticipate. The BV treasurer admitted that fact at the last levy meeting. If the money is there to operate, then we need to keep Radnor open and drop the bond/levy. A single levy should be put up in November. At that point it would be important for the school district to canvas and find out what is in the best interest of the district and what the district residents want.

In closing Radnor, we will be at the maximum capacity this coming school year. Teachers have been assigned to teacher's lounges and computer labs as their classrooms for next year. Does that make sense? Especially now that we know we have enough money to operate.

It's incredibly frustrating to me that the board and administration are not listening to the community. At this point it does not make logical sense or financial sense to put on the levy/bond issue. In fact putting on the levy/bond issue in August will cost the district $42,000!!!

I encourage everyone to look at the facts. The levy/bond issue needs to be dropped. Radnor needs to be opened and we as a community needs to be listened to BEFORE the administration tells us what we need. Otherwise, my kid will be living the consequences 5-10 years down the road.

-A concern mom and proud BV grad
BV parent of 4

Canton, OH

#9 Jun 6, 2012
$42,000 is a drop in the bucket when you compare it to the total number of dollars we are talking about here. The boards (past and present) and the admin have been listening to the people... for years now, that why nothing has been done. It is impossible to make everyone in this large district happy. We can't keep pouring money into 3 old elementary buildings that we can't afford. This levy/bond needs to stay on the ballot, at least then a decision is being made and we are doing something, however painfully. If it passes in 3 years we have a new efficient elementary, it fails and we have stopped throwing some money out the window = win/win. Also, if it fails there will be even more pressure on the community to get a new building built quickly. Take the levy/bond issue off now and do more talking - who knows where our kids will be 5-10 years down the road? Still in 3 falling down money pits stealing educational $s? No thanks - removing the issue does more harm than good - let the district vote and lets get SOMETHING done!
BV parent of 4

Dearborn, MI

#10 Jun 6, 2012
Jeremiah wrote:
But where are the board members and admin? When Delaware City had their levy last year the board and admin were at as many events as possible to explain why the levy was needed. Our board and admin have had meetings and expect people to come to them. That isn't how this should be. They should be doing the foot work and going to ball games, parades any chance to explain and persuade.
You can't compare BV to Delaware city, you yourself said "The largest district in the state area wise", it's just not fair. As for expecting people to come to meetings, why wouldn't they? That is how you find out who is truly interested/concerned. Hold a meeting and no one shows up - they must not care. If you have a concern you want heard or a question you want answered go directly to your board member, I have.
As for why they are closing Radnor, people don't live today and schools don't operate the way they did in 1915. It will happen in Ashley and Ostrander too, eventually. With 1 elementary or even 2, they just don't make geographic sense in any of the towns if you look at the district as a whole. The Radnor kids may pay the price in the short term, but if 1 school is built, they'll be the closest in the end.
By building a new elem school on 1 campus our Board members are looking for the best way to utilize our tax dollars and give our children the best education and most resources possible. Can you blame them for that?
BV parent of 4

Dayton, OH

#11 Jun 6, 2012
Concerned BV Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
The current administration has had a one-school mentality for awhile and has forced it upon us. Two years ago they moved the pre-school from Radnor to Ostrander. Last year they moved the Kilbourne area kids to Ashley. If those moves had not happened, the numbers at Radnor would have made more sense. Also, please keep in mind that no money has been put into Radnor as it was with the other elementary schools. Coincidence?
-A concern mom and proud BV grad
Look at the facts- the Radnor Numbers don't make sense. The budget reduction report uses figures prior to 40 students being moved to East. The cost per student at North was $1300 a year, more than double that at East and West. It's even higher there per student now. Spending this $ per student is not a fair to every other student in the district!
Just because the money is there to keep North open another year, doesn't mean we should. We need to be wise stewards of the dollars we have. You shouldn't spend a buck just because you have it, we need to make wise financial decisions now and look out for down the road.
bv parent

United States

#12 Jun 6, 2012
Everyone has made really good points. There is a levy/bond meeting next Tuesday at BVMS library at 7:00. Please attend, they need caring people like yourselves to spread the word about passing the levy on August 7. Buckeye Valley is a great school that will be even better when the issue of the elementary schools has been worked through. My fear is that it will take a long time and be very painful for kids/parents who are directly affected. What if a levy/bond issue never passes? When we get short of operating funds, the SB will cut sports first, then busing. They may also go to split shifts at the middle school with the elementary. Ask the school board this question for yourself. I did and was told that is exactly what will happen and in that order. Should we avoid that? I think yes! Please Vote Yes in August 7!
keep it going

Akron, OH

#13 Jun 6, 2012
It is nice to see a Delaware forum where people are not bashing each other, or attacking each other on a personal basis. It makes me proud to serve the community! Thanks people!
BV parent of 4

United States

#14 Jun 6, 2012
bv parent wrote:
Everyone has made really good points. There is a levy/bond meeting next Tuesday at BVMS library at 7:00. Please attend, they need caring people like yourselves to spread the word about passing the levy on August 7. Buckeye Valley is a great school that will be even better when the issue of the elementary schools has been worked through. My fear is that it will take a long time and be very painful for kids/parents who are directly affected. What if a levy/bond issue never passes? When we get short of operating funds, the SB will cut sports first, then busing. They may also go to split shifts at the middle school with the elementary. Ask the school board this question for yourself. I did and was told that is exactly what will happen and in that order. Should we avoid that? I think yes! Please Vote Yes in August 7!
One can't vote for or against this bond/levy based on what the Board may or may not do in the future. It has already been shown they have the funds to keep North open next year; if the levy fails and North closes the district saves this money. They would have no reason to cut sports or busing. A levy never passing is unrealistic. If this levy fails there will be another - there always is - and as long as it is reasonable BV will support it's kids as they have in the past.
Jeremiah

Richwood, OH

#15 Jun 6, 2012
BV parent of 4 wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't compare BV to Delaware city, you yourself said "The largest district in the state area wise", it's just not fair. As for expecting people to come to meetings, why wouldn't they? That is how you find out who is truly interested/concerned. Hold a meeting and no one shows up - they must not care. If you have a concern you want heard or a question you want answered go directly to your board member, I have.
As for why they are closing Radnor, people don't live today and schools don't operate the way they did in 1915. It will happen in Ashley and Ostrander too, eventually. With 1 elementary or even 2, they just don't make geographic sense in any of the towns if you look at the district as a whole. The Radnor kids may pay the price in the short term, but if 1 school is built, they'll be the closest in the end.
By building a new elem school on 1 campus our Board members are looking for the best way to utilize our tax dollars and give our children the best education and most resources possible. Can you blame them for that?
I can compare them in this regard because I haven't seen the same effort to take the message to the people.
I understand Radnor will close and I am okay with that except for the sentimental side. however when the team who did the research first spoke at a board meeting ( I was there) about three new elementaries or one large elementary I believe the costs weren't that far apart. If things have changed, correct me. So if the costs were/are close, why the push for the centralized campus?
By the way Po4, your posting location is all over the place. If you are on vacation I am jealous!
Another BV Mom of 4

Powell, OH

#16 Jun 6, 2012
While I'm not a fan of my kids traveling so far to elementary. We need to look at the upside. We are able to utilize the resources at the Middle and High school for the elementary kids. The elementary kids can go see the High School performances. I have a gifted child he would be able to go to the MS for classes instead of sitting in front of a computer by himself. Every time I talk about his enrichment all I hear is me "wait till he gets to Middle School" implying more opportunities exists. I think we should pool our resources in one area.
active bv parent

United States

#17 Jun 6, 2012
If there is one school, how will it effect the busing costs.
Will all ages of students on the route be picked up at the same time?
Will the bus drivers go from full time to part time, lowering the cost of benefits?
Will more buses be needed, and is this considered in the cost analysis?
Concerned Parent

Mount Vernon, OH

#18 Jun 6, 2012
I am going to vote for the Levy/bond issue. It makes sense for staff, teachers, students and parents. It will make it easier for teachers to get together and be on the same page when it comes to curriculum.

You are complaining about the drive, when your child goes into 5th grade you will have to drive. Most rural districts have a centralized campus and it works. It will make the education for each student better!!

The board is just trying to appease everyone.
active bv parent

United States

#19 Jun 6, 2012
Personnel (not building operation) is the largest contributor to the budget, according to the documents on the BV website. The 2012 projected costs for Personnel and Benefits combined are over $16 million. The operation of the 3 elementary schools (combined) for fiscal year 2011 is less than $850,000...including fees for things like instructional aids that are not dependent on the building, but the number of students.

A 6% personnel/benefits budget reduction would more than cover the operational costs of all three elementary buildings. What budget reductions are being considered in personnel costs, especially non-teaching staff?
BV parent of 4

United States

#20 Jun 6, 2012
active bv parent wrote:
Personnel (not building operation) is the largest contributor to the budget, according to the documents on the BV website. The 2012 projected costs for Personnel and Benefits combined are over $16 million. The operation of the 3 elementary schools (combined) for fiscal year 2011 is less than $850,000...including fees for things like instructional aids that are not dependent on the building, but the number of students.
A 6% personnel/benefits budget reduction would more than cover the operational costs of all three elementary buildings. What budget reductions are being considered in personnel costs, especially non-teaching staff?
That's where combining 3 elem. into 1 has on a central campus has benefits = less non-teaching staff and less staff travel between buildings.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Delaware Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 6 hr Old Guy 31,185
Maggots found in food at two Ohio prisons Fri briggsg 17
Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Sep 19 Vic 231
the dirty politics being played by shyra eichho... (Oct '13) Sep 18 Tony M 24
vince margello half truths (Nov '13) Sep 18 Tony M 14
Richmark Gutter Company- Ostrander Ohio - BEWAR... (Mar '14) Sep 18 BEWARE 4
Mitchell Eichhorn Incoming Libewrty Twp Trustee... (Jan '14) Sep 17 Not Suprised 28
•••
•••
•••

Delaware Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Delaware People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Delaware News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Delaware