Deltona man sentenced to life for shooting of two deputies

Full story: DeLand Beacon
BEACON PHOTO/PAT ANDREWS Anguished - As deputies guide him to feet for sentencing, defendant Corey Reynolds casts an anguished glance toward friends and family in the audience. Full Story
Celeste Johnson

Deltona, FL

#1 Feb 22, 2013
I wrote my editoral to the News-Journal, but they would not publish it. Before I rewrite it, I want to commend Pat Andrews for being so honest and accurate in her description of what happened the the court room. Here is my response and I would like to be heard.
“Oh God! Oh God!” was my lone anguished response in the court room when Corey Reynolds’ verdict:“Guilty of first degree attempted murder” was announced. Stunned! I truly believed as Corey did that “the truth” would set him free. Corey did tell the truth with confidence, not “with little or no apparent emotion” as inferred in the News-Journal February 14th article by Frank Fernandez.
It occurred to me then, the trial was not about Corey Reynolds, but about a fractured Judicial System that favors police departments and law enforcement. As both prosecution and defense presented before the court the events which occurred within 5 to 8 seconds of the shooting in question, clearly two stories emerged with significant similarities and differences leaving sufficient room to question. Regarding those few seconds, why is the defendant’s testimony of the chaotic moments deemed preposterous while the prosecution’s testimony is voiced as unquestioned truth.
Confused by the verdict, I researched a December 2011 article in the Beacon about Corey’s initial arrest. The article quoted Ben Johnson, our elected Police Chief, uttering these sentiments: "I hope he (Corey) never gets out. He deserves to rot. If they try to plea-bargain, you'll see some kind of mortal hell break down.” Is law enforcement on the side of Justice? The bitterness, the brutality, and the bias of some police officers toward individuals suspected of committing a crime, and hateful words spoken by models of justice regarding individuals not yet tried scare me.
No doubt, Corey made serious errors in judgement, but he did not intentionally attempt to murder the two policemen. I wonder had he been apprehended in a more civil manner that morning, if the outcome might have been significantly different... maybe not. What is the truth?
Gracie

Birmingham, MI

#2 Feb 25, 2013
Recall Ben Johnson!! Lady Justice is supposed to be blind. Very unprofessional for Johnson to make the comments he did. Apparently, the two deputies were not hurt badly, they both were released from hospital within hours of one another. Both deputies had clarity of mind to make an insurance claim and split $100,000. The police chief as well as the two deputies should be relieved of their duties permanently. They are a disgrace to every hardworking law enforcement person out there
Cat

Orlando, FL

#3 Feb 26, 2013
The young man made a terrible mistake but I find that the sentence does not fit. If this case was not law enforcement involved this young man would not be spending the rest of his life behind bars! Our laws need to be reviewed what makes police officers better than the average person? Crimes that have been committed that are much worse spend less time and many of those are repeat offenders and looking at what this man had for a record shows he was not a troublemaker. Nobody knows how anyone would react in a situation until it happens to you.
I have an issue that this elected official would say the things that he said in previous press releases as he should have compassion as an elected official should not be bias The injuries were not life-threatening. They were given a second chance in life so why we our justice system feel that the young man has to be given this harsh sentence?
It is sad that our prisons are so full and mainly due to the mandatory minimum sentences that hinder the judge’s hands we need to let the judge take control of their court rooms and have control back.
Bill

Deltona, FL

#4 Mar 19, 2013
He ought to rot in jail. Worthless POS. There I said it. Now all you goody two shoes can comment.
Big John

Aurora, CO

#5 Dec 8, 2013
I personally know Corey from his time here in Denver Colorado. He is a stand up nice guy. I heard about this yesterday during a bbq for the UCF vs SMU game and feel awful for him. I was not there, however, I don't believe he would try to kill two cops. I do know cops lie and have read here on the web the cops got 100k insurance claim. I believe the cops pulled the trigger to collect 100k more then I believe he tried to kill two cops at his moms house.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Deland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Creating a Year Round Herb Garden and Seed Swap Mon helpfulhands 1
Gang activity alarms Deltona, which plans schoo... (Jun '07) Mar 1 old timey 112
Leader of Orlando-area motorcycle club assaulte... (Nov '07) Feb 27 beentheredonethat 748
DeBary may get a Walmart, too (May '14) Feb 24 Outta Here 14
Looking for a friend, lost contact Feb 22 outoftown-er 1
Pine Ridge vandals in trouble with law, Volusia... (May '09) Feb 20 sister 22
pain n other medications Feb 17 orange city 1
Deland Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Deland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:12 pm PST

Bleacher Report 1:12PM
Jameis Winston Interviews with Buccaneers: Latest Details and Reaction
NBC Sports 3:01 PM
Jameis Winston has predraft meeting with Buccaneers
NBC Sports 8:42 PM
Josh McCown discusses his decision to join the Browns
Bleacher Report 9:40 PM
Weighing Pros and Cons of Bucs' Top FA Targets
Bleacher Report 9:17 AM
How Should the Bucs Fill Their Biggest Holes?